Society/Culture Are Australians more racist than other nationalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

I lived in Asia for many years and visit there often. There's no way the average Aussie is more racist than the average Asian. While people might be friendly to white tourists, the average person has a lot of preconceived ideas about caucasians and isn't shy about expressing disdain for dark skinned folks. Even their own countrymen are often discriminated against for having a darker colour. There's a lot less sensitivity to racial issues and no shame in double tiered pricing for foreigners. People shout things at you in the street just because you are white or black. Advertisements use caricatures of other races that look like something out of the 1940s. There are laws that prevent you from ever having the same rights to property or in certain legal matters. If you're unlucky enough to get into a fight, locals will often jump in to help other locals even if they don't know each other or the reason for the altercation. The list goes on and on. Things that would be considered unacceptable here, maybe even illegal, are commonplace in many Asian countries.

We've got lots of racists and some of them are much nastier than anything I've seen in Asia, but comparing the average person and the overall cultures, we're not particularly racist at all.

I find other countries way more racist then Australia. Try india cant count the amount of times i been discriminated for being a south indian

What are you on about. North indians consider south indians to be "the dark dirty Indians ". Is your mate even indian ?

Firstly he's not my mate and secondly yes he is. Maybe he doesn't like the northern ones because they are like Pakistanis or something.

Italians? There is quite a lot of racism against Africans there. For example, their first black cabinet minister has been subjected to tirades of racial abuse. She was referred to as an orangutan by a senator and has had bananas thrown at her. There are also increasing anti-Roma sentiments and lets not get started on the racism in soccer over there. Yes, that is a problem Europe wide but one that is very prominent in Italy. AC Milan youths as young as ten were recently racially abused by parents and the current manager of the national team said that their youth team has too many blacks.

Not sure about the Americans either.

Ex manager of the national team.
And he is right... Europe has cultures to protect.
Don't want to end up like France. their national team looks like the African Caribbean all stars

We aren't racist though the left would have you believe that every single white person here is a Nazi sympathizer.
Only the white racist right wingers or the non racist left wingers.......is there any such thing as a racist lefty?

I this a "The Blind White Supremacist African American" trick post?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only the white racist right wingers or the non racist left wingers.......is there any such thing as a racist lefty?

I this a "The Blind White Supremacist African American" trick post?
Left wing policies hurt minorities more economically especially, but that is another argument for another thread, though I wouldn't be surprised if the left didn't get that at all.

Conservatives are not racist, I see more bitching from the left and them going on about how der immigrants r gunna taek der jerbs. (Unions)

False dichotomy, there is only one race.

Australia is a lot less 'racist' than it was 20 years ago, due to American cultural imperialism. Yet research shows more and more people consider Australia a 'racist' country. Like anything it's only really noticeable when it's not prevalent.

Are Australians more 'racist' than other nationalities? You need to define what 'racism' actually is. Japan is the most politically incorrect nation I've ever been to, yet considers other ethnic groups one of the same.

Left wing policies hurt minorities more economically especially, but that is another argument for another thread, though I wouldn't be surprised if the left didn't get that at all.

Conservatives are not racist, I see more bitching from the left and them going on about how der immigrants r gunna taek der jerbs. (Unions)
I have no idea which parallel universe you live in but......it ain't this one.
Stupidest mis-characterization I have ever read.
Maybe you are confusing liberal values with the Liberal party? Righty's often do that you know.

:drunk:

hole-vWeJH3jkZBl5e

Can I ask - who and what is "the left" in your mind?
Libertarians/Classical Liberals/Anarcho-Capitalists are NOT conservatives. Never have been never will be because Capitalism has proven over the years to have a destructive effect on the hierarchies and traditionalism of the societies it prevails upon. The classic example is the Corn Laws instituted by the Liberal Whigs that nearly bankrupted most of the agricultural nobility of the UK by lowering tariffs on US corn.

Conservatism stands for the status quo. Traditionalism, religion, order etc. That's why you can have a conservative union like the Shoppies.

Try broadening your political knowledge beyond a cartoon.

Left and Right are just simplistic terms used to generalise and insult a bunch of people. People are a lot more complex, different and unique in their beliefs than those terms suggest.

They really aren't. I could guess the political views of the average Greens voter on a whole range of issues with 90% or better accuracy.

People just like to believe they are all special snowflakes.

They really aren't. I could guess the political views of the average Greens voter on a whole range of issues with 90% or better accuracy.

I'm not talking about Greens voters, I'm talking about classifying everyone into two categories. Left and Right are just simplistic high school terms that offer very little insight into political beliefs of individuals and parties.

Last edited:

So that leaves 10% which totally supports Golden Hodge's comment.
Some people often like to make sweeping statements with little no foundation just to fool themselves into thinking everyone else is just like them.
It ain't so snowflake.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back