List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Scott Selwood moves to Geelong as free agent

Remove this Banner Ad

That article makes me think two things:

1) he is probably going

2) i hope we are doing a very thorough medical and that our contract offer reflects the risk. The sound of him possibly still having issues with the ankle worries me.
Yeah, agree. It's always been a bit of a worry for me but this article confirms it.

That article makes me think two things:

1) he is probably going

2) i hope we are doing a very thorough medical and that our contract offer reflects the risk. The sound of him possibly still having issues with the ankle worries me.

In our circumstances, I would be very concerned at that. As far as I'm concerned, it should be 100% positive, or no dice.

Yeah, agree. It's always been a bit of a worry for me but this article confirms it.

He is still a good player though and we need a mid like him,so i would still make an offer.

But you wouldnt offer dale thomas like money for a guy carrying an injury,put it that way.

He is still a good player though and we need a mid like him,so i would still make an offer.

But you wouldnt offer dale thomas like money for a guy carrying an injury,put it that way.
You shouldn't offer Dale Thomas like money to Dale Thomas either!

Hey guys my feeling on selwood is he is gone but we would have a fairly big offer on the table . His ankle injuries haven't been great for him over the last couple of years and its probably made worse by being a typical selwood and playing through pain when he should have been rested . He has been forced to pull back in his training as his injury just needs time but he is just to keen to his own detriment . This is probably why he is playing as the sub as a way to limit his minutes so he is cherry ripe for finals .
His best role is a tagger but he is not just a stopper he like to beat his opponent on the inside and is a tackling machine .
If he wants to go home you will get yourself a ripper .

I remember how awesome Scott was 2-3 years ago - people were talking about him being the new Ling as he would tag every week while winning heaps of the ball and kicking goals. But I'm really worried about that ankle problem and he's been pretty poor whenever I've seen him this season. I'd happily have him at Geelong as he clearly fits a need (mid-aged experienced player, clearances and contested possessions) but I'll be miffed if we offer him big money and/or have to push an SJ or a Kelly out the door to accommodate him.

The ankle worries me. That said, for the right price, Id have a go. And given the way we treat injuries, he could have surgery in Oct and be running again in January and be slowly built up for April.

That has never failed us…

Right?o_O

Also, I keep thinking he is 27 or so but is only 25. And playing here could be very good for him and Sel.

Just all comes back to paying the right price…

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From an article that was posted on the afl site this afternoon:
Against this backdrop, it's expected the Eagles and their vice-captain will accept that a move at the end of the season is in both parties' best interests.
Selwood's decision won't be based on money, with the chance to play under Geelong captain Joel – and at the club where elder brother Troy is the Academy and VFL manager – his primary motivation.
Nonetheless, the 2012 Eagles best-and-fairest winner is widely expected to be offered about $500,000 a season by Geelong.
Given Selwood is a restricted free agent, the Eagles will have the right to match such an offer.
However, an offer of that magnitude – and Selwood's relative youth for a free agent – could earn West Coast an end-of-first-round compensation pick.
This would seem too good to refuse, especially when the Eagles could potentially use that pick in a trade for out-of-contract Sydney Swans speedster Lewis Jetta, who is expected to seek a move home to Western Australia.

Chances are we don't need to offer him as much as we seem willing to offer, as it kinda sounds like West Coast has acknowledged he will be leaving and that it would be best for both parties; but maybe it's being done as a good will thing from the club - that Scooters next contract will be for less, but by offering more now and having West Coast not match, they end up with an end-of-first-round pick where we probably wouldn't trade our first round pick for Scooter; because I doubt we would use our first round pick on him considering the other players we are apparently after.

It seems that we are offering that much money in order to make sure that WC get a better compo pick for him. It wouldn't surprise me if we swapped some later draft picks as a result ;)

From an article that was posted on the afl site this afternoon:

Chances are we don't need to offer him as much as we seem willing to offer, as it kinda sounds like West Coast has acknowledged he will be leaving and that it would be best for both parties; but maybe it's being done as a good will thing from the club - that Scooters next contract will be for less, but by offering more now and having West Coast not match, they end up with an end-of-first-round pick where we probably wouldn't trade our first round pick for Scooter; because I doubt we would use our first round pick on him considering the other players we are apparently after.
I heard that nuff nuff Greg Denham on SEN a few weeks back say that the Eagles have offered him a really good deal, and initially were a bit shocked that he rejected it. They believe he will be going to Geelong for less than what they offered him, which at least shows it's not financially motivated... prefer that type of person coming in than a $$$$ hungry one

500k? I don't really know my player payments, but could someone enlighten me as to which current players at Geelong are roughly around that? Just seemed a little high.

This might go some way to answering your question:

Player_Earnings_2014_01.jpg

It appears we are reluctant to sign Motlop for something around $500k, yet are willing to throw this exact same amount at a player 50% as talented and twice as injury prone.

$500k? surely not.

But if this was true, and we lost Motlop as a result, it would be a monumental stuff up from the GFC. A similar monumental stuff up as tigers choosing tambling over buddy, or like Carlton paying Daisy $700k while losing Betts, or Freo trading pick 1 (hodge) for croad.

Scooter is a decent average player that fits a nice role for us, but we HAVE TO sign Motlop up as a priority. We just have to.

It appears we are reluctant to sign Motlop for something around $500k, yet are willing to throw this exact same amount at a player 50% as talented and twice as injury prone.

$500k? surely not.

But if this was true, and we lost Motlop as a result, it would be a monumental stuff up from the GFC. A similar monumental stuff up as tigers choosing tambling over buddy, or like Carlton paying Daisy $700k while losing Betts, or Freo trading pick 1 (hodge) for croad.

Scooter is a decent average player that fits a nice role for us, but we HAVE TO sign Motlop up as a priority. We just have to.
Yep I can't see it being 500k a season on average. Maybe 500k initially to make sure the Eagles give it the all clear but then much lower for the next few years. If Motlop gets squeezed out because we're overpaying players from opposition clubs then it's bonkers. Guess we've just got to wait and see.

There can be ZERO doubt that Motlop is being offered only 500K. I think the bigger issue is probably contract length and total amount. He will be a FA in two years (?) so if he signs now for the long term - that is a lot of potential earnings out the window so to speak. I think if Motlop goes elsewhere it can be safely said that he wanted out for other reasons or a club like GWS or the Tigers offered him a 6 year deal or something stupid.

It could be something as simple as they want to offer him a big deal; like Selwood just after Ablett left but need to wait until they are sure about the intentions of Danger and co.

Liked this bit:

If their plans to lure fellow free agents Patrick Dangerfield and Matthew Leuenberger, and out-of-contract Carlton swingman Lachie Henderson to Simonds Stadium succeed, the Cats will have repositioned themselves to climb back up the ladder in 2016 despite Hamish McIntosh's retirement and the expected departures of veterans Corey Enright, James Kelly, Jared Rivers and, possibly, Steve Johnson.

We'll be doing amazingly well if we do manage to pick up that trio as well as Selwood, and manage to hold onto Motlop at the same time.

I think Scooter would be a good addition to the squad, but given his injuries I just see the potential for Geelong to trade in another player who may spend half his contract out injured. Same goes for Leunberger. This club needs to stop going for injury prone mature age players.

I'll reiterate what others have said: our priorities need to be keeping Motlop and hopefully signing Dangerfield.

Scooter and Henderson would be nice additions, but if either of them come at the cost of losing Motlop, the trade/FA period will be a massive fail.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back