Review Autopsy vs Essendon, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

TC got around the ground well I thought (on TV anyway). Put in a couple of really good tackles and if his hands had been just a touch stickier would've ended up with a few more contested marks. I think he's coming to it at the right time of the year. A few selection headaches coming up (but good headaches).
Still doesn't impose himself on the game. He played against the worst AFL ruckman I have seen since Angus Graham and I can't remember ever comparing a player to Angus Graham.

Still doesn't impose himself on the game. He played against the worst AFL ruckman I have seen since Angus Graham and I can't remember ever comparing a player to Angus Graham.
Not yet perhaps but I'm in his corner. Definitely worth persevering with IMO and certainly keeping on the list.

Love this pic. Looks like he's holding the Essendope players at distance with his fingers :drunk:

1438507192047.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got to come up with a new term to describe a Bontempell-esque game (or maybe just call it a Bontempelli-esque game and compare other players to him), but Bontempelli had a yet another ripper game and nobody really gives him credit - a very typical game that Bontempelli plays. For example, he isn't among the Ching votes from very many. I'm not saying he was in our best 4-5, but also, people don't realise how good his game was gong by Ching and this thread.

Only 24 disposals but less than 50% contested, and only a disposal efficiency of about 79% but:
  • He hit targets forward of centre
  • He picked up genuine hard contested balls under physical pressure and fired off handballs - very clean below his knees
  • Got high metres gained when he was impacting the play
  • When he wasn't getting those high metres, he was part of a great forward thrust possession chain.
  • 6 inside 50's - another great stat
Disposal numbers are overrated. Give me Bont's game over Statnton (7 contested possessions and 25 uncontested possessions) or Heppell's (only 1 inside 50) any day of the week, despite the fact that they had 10 and 8 disposals more than Bontempelli respectively.

Just wait and see - other clubs willy slowly catch on to start rating Bontempelli-esque games. A game like his can be very, very impactful with "just" the 20-25 touches like he often gets rather than the 30+ that the media and fans seem to love so much but they don't actually impact the game and produce points for your team.

He's done it a lot this this year. One example among half a dozen similar games so far this season was the Freo game - 18 disposals but 7 inside 50's. I made a comment after that game that he wasn't getting enough credit for actually impacting the game, because people see the fact he's only had 18 touches but it's the combination of winning contested ball and having high metres gained which actually matters more than raw disposal numbers and it's Bontempelli who does it so well.

Dude, you need to take a stroll over to the AFL Player Ratings from Champion Data. I know I always spruik them in the autopsies but they are my favourite stats by a long way, and Bonts always gets a (deserved) good result.

See this week:

Bonts came 4th for us. And if you look at the overall Player Ratings on the AFL site, Bonts is clearly going to be our highest rated player by the end of the year:

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 10.07.35 pm.png

This is amazing because a) he is absolutely miles ahead of any other player his age in the league, and b) it's a measure over a 2 year period, so that's counting his 1st game etc.

Anyway, my point is he is being recognised - by people who know what they are talking about.

And only got 21 HOs.
Though in fairness there weren't nearly as many stoppages as some other games we've played.

A few general points:

- I continue to be concerned about handpassing to players under more pressure than the original handpasser. We didn't get found out today cause Essendon were witches' hats, but we will get exposed badly in the Finals on the turnover if we keep doing that.

- I simply can't believe how wrong i was about Hunter and how massively he has turned things around. The moment that stood out for me was when he set up Daniel's 2nd goal. Hunter was completely in the open, running away from goal 20m out with us 70 points up - perfect opportunity for partytime. But rather than go for the wonder goal himself he did the unselfish thing and set up Daniel. I nearly kissed the screen - I just couldn't believe it. Stringer would have taken the shot 12 times out of 10. That act alone said it all for me. Good on ya, Lachie.

- Mitch Wallis is getting cleaner and cleaner with his inside work. He always liked getting his hands dirty. But now he's losing the fumbles. I know he's getting some good press, but I really think he is improving this year more than people realise. It will become more obvious when he has Libba next to him I suspect.

- Good to see Daniel becoming confident enough to start slowly showcasing a few of his skills. There were a couple of his patented half-volley gathers today. I suspect he will become known for them pretty soon. He is definitely exciting!

- How awesome was JamesTurdCam! I loved the way they kept going back to him after every Crameri goal. Made my afternoon.

- I am also loving the way Grant and Johannison take their licence to run. It is both exciting and seriously effective.

- My biggest note.... Completely unacknowledged over the last month or so is that Jack Macrae was dropped for his defensive work - but since he has returned he has been in our top 3 tacklers EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. Today he was our 2nd highest tackler with 7 tackles. I am so so so impressed with a player who is not only keen to learn, but doesn't forget again the week after.

Most confident i have been for a game this year, you knew
exactly how we were going to play all week. Beveridge can
take a bow for 1- playing to your strengths and 2- It would
have been easy to rush in Boyd or Hamling even though both
were no where near fluent in their movement.

What a Sunday back to back Bulldogs victories what a double
header to savour.:D

PS- Loved Robert Murphy tribute to Roarke Smith at the coin
toss it was very Goodes.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back