List Mgmt. 2015 Trade & Free Agency Hellscape Discussion Thread (PG546: Anderson PG732: Bastinac)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis are top A grade players which in turn makes a difference to the outside run as these players feed the ball off whereas north players hack it around.
The Hawks players also have experience on their side. But I see Cunners very similarly to Mitchell and if he had the same options that Mitchell always has (Burgoyne, Smith, Hill, etc) to feed out to, he would be talked about in the same regard. JZ has a lot of Hodge about him (even the blaze away kicking), but is not (yet) at that level, but Hodge is utilized much better by Clarkson. Spitta matches up pretty well against Lewis. It is sort of a chicken and egg debate....does their talent as inside mids make the outside runners look good or do the outside runners make it easier for the inside mids? Perhaps if we had some outside speed we could test the riddle.

Its about balance. How else are we to get top end talent? Unless we bottom out we cant get this talent in the draft with the mid range picks we end up with. Only other option is to trade those that have value to allow us to balance the list.

Balance isn't trading your best and most consistent extractor (who happens to be the club's captain) and one of the few blokes under 30 on the list who's shown evidence of being a stand and deliver under pressure matchwinner (who happens to be the club's vice-captain).

They both have their limitations. But you don't blow the core of your side to reach for a quick fix.

If you want balance then structure the recruiting to sometimes go for needs over 'best available'.

That might be Dalhaus over Pedersen.

Or Jordan Murdoch over Tom Curran.

Or Marley Williams over Brad Mangan.

Or Rampe over McGenniss.

Or potentially Kennedy-Harris over Dumont, Daniel McKenzie over Durdin, McLean / Dale / Daniel / Lonie / McLean / Langdon over Nielsen or Vickers-Willis.

These are not ridiculous reach for player draft blunder examples. These were all gettable options for bringing pacey or power running types of players onto our list instead of options who were either high risk (eg Curran) or who didn't serve to balance our list.

NO to trading Ziebs.. HE is being used wrong. He could be a AA forward IMO
Keep him there and it frees up Cunners and Swallow who play alot better without Jack in the centre square.
Scott is using him wrong.

NO to trading Ziebs.. HE is being used wrong. He could be a AA forward IMO
Keep him there and it frees up Cunners and Swallow who play alot better without Jack in the centre square.
Scott is using him wrong.
Agreed Jack isn't being used to his best effect but who can we put on the table that is likely to land us a Bennell or Hall type of player? We need that type of player more than anything and to get a player of that quality we have to give something up.

Well not Ziebell match winner when he is used right.. I would be more inclined to trade Hansen, Thompson someone of that ilk. Both been terrible of late. I get that it is not A grade quality. But you also have future trading now too with draft picks.

Agreed Jack isn't being used to his best effect but who can we put on the table that is likely to land us a Bennell or Hall type of player? We need that type of player more than anything and to get a player of that quality we have to give something up.
I think Bennell (former No. 2 draft pick) and Hall (preseason draftee) would demand quite different deals. If, as is suggested, the Suns want to see the end of Bennell, a deal of a 1st rounder and Hansen or Black, may be in the ballpark. As for Hall, if he has a better offer that the club won't match, a pick in the 20s should suffice. So, how about our 1st and 2nd picks plus Aaron Black for the Hall-Bennell package, blackshadow?

NB: I'm not very good at this trading thing, so I'm happy to pull my head in if I'm way off the mark. But I do know that the Suns are nearly as bad as * to deal with, so they will probably ask for 1st, 2nd, 3rd picks plus Goldy, Cunners, and Brown just for Bennell.

Aaron Black is worth nothing.

H
Balance isn't trading your best and most consistent extractor (who happens to be the club's captain) and one of the few blokes under 30 on the list who's shown evidence of being a stand and deliver under pressure matchwinner (who happens to be the club's vice-captain).

They both have their limitations. But you don't blow the core of your side to reach for a quick fix.

Nobody has mentioned trading Swallow or Jack for any less than Treloar, who is younger and will be better. It's not a quick fix, it's trying to get a young star or 2 in before we plummet down the ladder in 2017 and can rebuild quickly and strongly.

Why is a young Gold Coast player from WA who so far in their career has had a big question mark over their lifestyle off-field commitment now considered the automatic saviour of a playing list renowned for its inconsistency and mental flakiness?
Dream Team and Super Coach have a lot to answer for.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Why is a young Gold Coast player from WA who so far in their career has had a big question mark over their lifestyle off-field commitment now considered the automatic saviour of a playing list renowned for its inconsistency and mental flakiness?
Because as van halen said "thats what dreams are made of"

One of the main reasons that Treloar will leave GWS, is that he is getting offered way way way more than they can afford to pay him while staying under the cap. They want picks and lots of them for trading out players, so they can use them for academy players next year and the year after. They can't afford to take a big name in a trade for Treloar or others, because they would have to sign them to biggish money.

I reckon our approach is about putting our draft picks (1st and 2nd round, including 2016) on the table plus the players that have some currency. The 3 names that seem most logical are Black, Basti, and Hansen. Don't want any of our young guns going, unless the specifically said they are walking, and same goes for LT. The only way names like Thompson or Spitta would enter the conversation would be if we were involved in the pointy end of negotiations over either Danger or Treloar, which I reckon is pretty unlikely. Motlop and Bennell should be our focus if we are going to sell the house (1st rounders), moreso than Carlisle, also remembering that trading with the *bummers is like negotiating a deal with a mafia used car salesman. The main thing is that we go top-end talent or go home (to the draft).
i heard next year draft will have the best mid selctions so i dont think we should trade our future pick maybe 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Kelly, Adam Tomlinson picks 11 and 26 respectively. Thoughts?

For a start, GWS would laugh you out of the room the second you offered 11 for Kelly.

They used pick 2 or pick 3 on him a few years ago & he hasn't put a foot wrong since he was drafted. He just hasn't been playing week in week out because of the relative strength of the GWS team.

Josh Kelly, Adam Tomlinson picks 11 and 26 respectively. Thoughts?
Where are these picks 11 & 26 coming from? If its 11 then its at least 29.

You should take your time & put more consideration into your posts.
Check what you have written then as you are about to hit post reply.....delete all information.

(You have an unhealthy fascination with Tomlinson)
If you consider our list & include last years draftees then whose place does Tomlinson take to make us a better team?
He tries hard but has limitations you don't trade top end picks for that calibre of player we would be replacing Hansen (who l think is done) for another Hansen?

If you trade for players they need to be best 12 for mine otherwise you feel obliged to play them even when form does not warrant it in the hope they come good.

Where are these picks 11 & 26 coming from? If its 11 then its at least 29.

You should take your time & put more consideration into your posts.
Check what you have written then as you are about to hit post reply.....delete all information.

(You have an unhealthy fascination with Tomlinson)
If you consider our list & include last years draftees then whose place does Tomlinson take to make us a better team?
He tries hard but has limitations you don't trade top end picks for that calibre of player we would be replacing Hansen (who l think is done) for another Hansen?

If you trade for players they need to be best 12 for mine otherwise you feel obliged to play them even when form does not warrant it in the hope they come good.
Apologies, all deleted now

Apologies, all deleted now
Mate you're too kind for this place, we need to send you off to the meat factory where Rocky trains and let you smash the suitcase out of some Cow ribs to harden you up a bit. Might send Basti with you too.

BTW - You're passionate and that's great!

Ruckman Robbie Warnock will learn his fate next week after scheduled talks with Silvagni and Bolton.

Warnock, 28, is off contract and was offered a two-year deal several months ago but told the club he preferred to wait until the end of the season before making a decision.

It is understood he would be happy to remain on a one-year deal, but will keep his options open for there could be about eight clubs searching for a back-up ruckman, including North Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...&promote_channel=social_twitter#ixzz3kNFRQrNg
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Ruckman Robbie Warnock will learn his fate next week after scheduled talks with Silvagni and Bolton.

Warnock, 28, is off contract and was offered a two-year deal several months ago but told the club he preferred to wait until the end of the season before making a decision.

It is understood he would be happy to remain on a one-year deal, but will keep his options open for there could be about eight clubs searching for a back-up ruckman, including North Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...&promote_channel=social_twitter#ixzz3kNFRQrNg
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook
Because we've taken 3 guys over the age of 26 in the last couple of years do we just get named for the sake of it now??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back