2013 Draft - Overrated and Underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then some of my favourite posters just missed the mark :(. Aussierules got Bont right though :)
Even though he was generally very quiet in the two televised champs games that year, Bont really caught my eye immediately just by the way he moved across the turf with the ball in hand. I just felt that he had that something special that not many have and then he had a really good quarter in the last quarter of his team's final champs game and I was pretty keen on him from that point on. He pretty soon became my tip to be that year's version of Jackson Macrae and go top 6 or so, when many were still saying he was a 2nd round prospect, so I'm pretty happy with that call.

Prior to the champs he apparently hadn't done much in the TAC Cup, but he had had that school game where he supposedly had 50 possies and 10 goals and while he wasn't being spoken about much in the champs telecasts (except for the mentions of him being related to Dal Santo), he had the good final quarter there and soon started to kill it in the TAC Cup and the rest is history.

Someone else from that draft who I got the same sort of feeling from, just by the way he moved across the turf with the ball in hand this year, was Blake Acres. A couple of his runs through the centre of Etihad this year just gave me that same sort of feeling I got when I first saw Bont, that he has that something special about him that most don't have. Unlikely he will reach the levels that Bont looks like he is going to get to, but I really think he also has something special about him and am really excited to see what he does from this point on, if he gets an injury free run at it and gets a full preseason under his belt.

I also enjoyed reading my posts on Patrick Cripps from the first couple of pages in this thread! He was another one that just caught my attention immediately, in his case by the way he just kept on quietly getting clearance after clearance in one of WA's televised champs games at Etihad. He wasn't getting talked up much, prior to or during, but he just kept on doing the business.

Last edited:

Over Rated.
James Aish
Far too outside. Doesnt win his own Footy. Has a great Footy brain which helps him get into the right spots as a receiver. But i want a potential top 3 pick to be more then just a receiver. Very lightly framed and looking at his family will struggle to put much more bulk on.
Tipped to be: Top 5
In my opinion should be: 10 - 20

Matt Scharenberg
At 190cm he is too small to play key position at AFL level like he has as a junior. He is too slow to be a midfielder. Will develop into a 3rd tall, swingman type. Probably a very good one. But, again like Aish, you would want your potential top 5 pick to be a lot more then a bit part player.
Tipped to be: Top 5
In my Opinion: 15 - 25

For Top Guy Picks. They both have shown they can be more then Bit part Players

Tom Boyd is overrated, unfortunately.

No human being could possibly live up to the hype that surrounds this kid! All the media banter has done him a grave disservice, because supporters of any club he goes to will automatically have unrealistic expectations of him.

Awkward

Overrated: Bontempelli.

He may be pretty smart and sells himself in his interview, reminds me of Cale Morton and Darren Jolly for personality.

His positives are his height... And that's flavour of the month, hence the overrating. Just seems a bit insecure or something and not that good, although his on-field movements are very nice.

Hehe.

For Top Guy Picks. They both have shown they can be more then Bit part Players
You seriously can't be that biased can you.... Aish showed he could be a bit player in the first year but has been seriously underwhelming after being rated so high. Matt well pretty underwhelming in his games after also being rated extremely highly. Time will tell, personally I think aish will make it and be a pretty good player but at this stage both seem to have been pretty overrated in their draft year.

Having joined BF after this thread, I have to say there are some very astute footy watchers out there. This thread makes for some very interesting reading.

Gee I really went after Kelly didn't I? I think I was a bit too harsh on him, I think he'll be a good player and has a nice foot but there's generally a good outside receiver in every draft and Bontempelli has something Kelly doesn't. I think the giants missed the boat with Bontempelli. I think GWS have a few good kicks which means that the Kelly selection was a bit odd. My major concern is that some poor side was going to draft Kelly and throw him in the wolves and he'd get eaten alive. But I think it was okay for GWS, they don't need Kelly to be a star given the pieces they have, and when they selected Kelly, they weren't building from scratch, which is what St Kilda were pretty much doing. Billings seems to have a point of difference in that he's a busy player with a great kick and knows how to kick a goal so I think even if Kelly was available, Billings looks to be the better pick.

I have to say, I was scratching my head at the time at why GWS went with Kelly over Billings, when they already looked to have a great looking midfield building, but looked like they could really do with a Billings type up forward, who had the x-factor, marking ability and the goal-sense that he has, along with the ability to go into the midfield if needed.

There were a lot of Kelly v Billings debates on our board on here and I argued strongly for Billings if they were both available to us and I thought in GWS's case he made even more sense for them. I like Kelly and said at the time that I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he went on to play 300 games, but I just thought Billings was the better fit for them.

Their midfield next year, with Cameron, McCarthy, Patton, Stevie J, Billings and Smith up forward would have been a serious handful!

You seriously can't be that biased can you.... Aish showed he could be a bit player in the first year but has been seriously underwhelming after being rated so high. Matt well pretty underwhelming in his games after also being rated extremely highly. Time will tell, personally I think aish will make it and be a pretty good player but at this stage both seem to have been pretty overrated in their draft year.

Well with Feet and ACL has Hold Back him and 2nd ACL make it Harder.

Aish had a very good Junior Career and that counts him being a 2 time SANFL Premiership player and 1 of the top Draftees in his Rookie Year. Had a down last year because of Injury and Unsettled because did not know what he wanted to so at seasons end. He is a very promising youngster

Not many who I would take ahead of Kelly. I think the Giants got that pick right to a more than acceptable degree.

Not many who I would take ahead of Kelly. I think the Giants got that pick right to a more than acceptable degree.
I agree that they get a 'pass' at this stage, however at this point in time my re-done 2013 top ten draft looks like this....

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. McCarthy
4. Billings
5. Kelly
6. Koldashnij
7. McDonald
8. Aish
9. Sheed
10. Dunstan

(Gets more speculative as you go down, and Tom Boyd in particular is hard to place as he could end up being massively overrated or a late Tom Hawkins style bloomer)

Well with Feet and ACL has Hold Back him and 2nd ACL make it Harder.

Aish had a very good Junior Career and that counts him being a 2 time SANFL Premiership player and 1 of the top Draftees in his Rookie Year. Had a down last year because of Injury and Unsettled because did not know what he wanted to so at seasons end. He is a very promising youngster
Both have shown they are no more than bit part players at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both have shown they are no more than bit part players at this stage.

Well then I guess I can call Freeman for the Saints will be a Massive Bust then on what we seen - Nothing

(Gets more speculative as you go down, and Tom Boyd in particular is hard to place as he could end up being massively overrated or a late Tom Hawkins style bloomer)

Took Roughead three years to get going. Stupid amounts of pressure on a young KPF because of the draft position and the moolah.

With an injury free season in a strong Doggies side, he should be aiming at 40 goals in 2016. That should be enough to shut the critics up.

I agree that they get a 'pass' at this stage, however at this point in time my re-done 2013 top ten draft looks like this....

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. McCarthy
4. Billings
5. Kelly
6. Koldashnij
7. McDonald
8. Aish
9. Sheed
10. Dunstan

I'd slot Zach Merrett in there before quite a few on that list.

Billy Hartung was underrated, in retrospect he was a Top 10 pick.
I wouldn't necessarily assume that. He was always likely to start quickly due to his enormous tank, which gave him a big headstart on others. Put most of the top 20 or 30 of that draft into the strong Hawthorn team and they'd probably look a million dollars.

OVERRATED

Darcy Cameron - Now that Lobb, Apeness, Nankervis and Brown have appeared on the scene Darcy Cameron has become and may end up being a rookie draft pick

Darcy Hourigan - HUGE talent but fitness levels aren't there. Late 2nd round at absolute best

UNDERRATED

Cameron Giles - Definate smokey for Fremantle's pick 17 if McCarthy and Gardiner are unavailable

Riley Knight - Has the tricks to be a decent player for a third round or later selection
Looks like you are spot on with knight :)

Well then I guess I can call Freeman for the Saints will be a Massive Bust then on what we seen - Nothing
wouldnt call them busts. That's going a bit far. All three no more than playing bit parts so far in their career and haven't shown in games they are worthy of their top pick status.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that. He was always likely to start quickly due to his enormous tank, which gave him a big headstart on others. Put most of the top 20 or 30 of that draft into the strong Hawthorn team and they'd probably look a million dollars.

They'd struggle to get a game. The fact that Hartung has already played 27 games in two seasons in there, including finals, is a good indicator that he belongs.

wouldnt call them busts. That's going a bit far. All three no more than playing bit parts so far in their career and haven't shown in games they are worthy of their top pick status.

Except for Bont. Non of them have then

Except for Bont. Non of them have then
In your opinion.
Reckon Kade and Cripps have shown much more than sharenberg and Aish. Bont as well.

Shaz just hasn't shown to be a top 10 pick. Unfortunately injuries have ruined him. Aish has has a better run at it but still hasn't put in a stand up performance. Both could well end up solid best 22 players.

In your opinion.
Reckon Kade and Cripps have shown much more than sharenberg and Aish. Bont as well.

Shaz just hasn't shown to be a top 10 pick. Unfortunately injuries have ruined him. Aish has has a better run at it but still hasn't put in a stand up performance. Both could well end up solid best 22 players.

Compare a Cripps to a bloke whos had two knee recos. Great logic.
Aish's first year showed he's worthy of his top 10 pick, He'll show more in 2016.

Compare a Cripps to a bloke whos had two knee recos. Great logic.
Aish's first year showed he's worthy of his top 10 pick, He'll show more in 2016.
Read my previous comments. It referred to a poster who thought Scarenberg and Aish were over rated top ten draft picks when they were drafted.

They have shown nothing to indicate they will be more than solid best 22 players with what they have shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back