Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
We had this thread last year, and it went reasonably well. Was a pretty good way of getting some extra discussion going. And who doesn't love a thread that can be bumped in 5 years time to make people look bad?

Considering it's the first post, I'll keep things positive and not name anyone as overrated. Personally, I think every South Australian is underrated. But, I will throw up two other players who I think will be getting more attention from the recruiters than they are on BigFooty...

James Sicily - Granted he had a quite start to the season, so thay may be one reason why he isn't getting talked about all that much. But, his last 6 weeks have been nothing short of excellent and he'd easily be the Jets' best player. Started the season more as a half forward, but a move into the midfield has seen him flourish. One of those hard running outside types who play high marking games, also has 19 goals for the year. At 186cm, he is almost the perfect size for the modern game.

Sam Bennett - Don't think I have seen Bennett's name mentioned anywhere, and I really can't fathom why. Stands at 189cm, and may be best described as a utility. I like him coming off half back, or off a wing. A little like Paul Seedsman at Collingwood. Provides real run through the centre. He has really stood up in a bad TAC Cup side.

OK, I was only going to name two. But...

Isaiah Miller - This guy is seriously underrated. I'd have him ahead of Kolodjashnij in terms of rebounding defenders, and he is considered a possible top 15 pick. Didn't have the greatest U18 Championships, but he wasn't bad by any means. In the TAC Cup, he has absolutely dominated - runs hard off half back, goes through the middle, wins his own ball and can kick goals. I'd take him back end of the first round.

Jonothan Marsh is a first round certainty.

Tom Barrass has impressed alot of the right people and is an effective KPD, looks ungainly, rarely beaten.

Dayle Garlett will be lucky to get drafted, clubs aren't as forgiving as he'd like to think and do their homework.

Jarrad Jansen will go in the first 3 rounds, might sneak into the 2nd, just another big bodied mid who is ready to step in and have an impact, can also play as a backman and could develop into KP defender.

OVERRATED

Luke Reynolds - Chris might not like this but I don't think Reynolds will have a huge impact at AFL level. He is a beautiful kick and strong mark and these are great qualities but I just think he will be too predictable at AFL level. He seems too reliant on his left boot and too willing to quickly swing around onto that side despite the pressure. Now I will admit I haven't seen enough of him so I will be happy to be proven wrong.

UNDERRATED

Jay Kennedy-Harris - I think he will be a top 25 pick come November and his play so far this year has justified it. Has x-factor, talent and leadership abilities. Massive flaws and will take a lot of time but there is a lot to like about Jay.

George Hewett - really like his game and as Chris mentioned in his mock he still has a lot of development to go. Should be a top 60 pick with the potential and his inside work is invaluable.

I agree with Marsh and Barrass.

I'm a little unsure on Jansen (and also Cripps) though. Maybe I'm just being a little conservative, after being a Sam Lowrie fan last year. I like what I've seen of Jansen, just not super confident.

Wouldn't worry about Cripps, he's got alot of fans, his ability to win first first possession, absorb pressure and release his outside players is first class, another who is built for footy at the next level.

Jansen is pretty much a carbon copy of Harry Marsh.

I personally really rate Jacob Green from East Fremantle, most weeks he's bringing his own footy, sensational hands, his kicking is a drawback, can also go ball watching, but he has a god given talent to find the football again and again and again.

I agree with Marsh and Barrass.

I'm a little unsure on Jansen (and also Cripps) though. Maybe I'm just being a little conservative, after being a Sam Lowrie fan last year. I like what I've seen of Jansen, just not super confident.

So what your saying is that your not to that impressed with my mock draft picks for West Coast on the BF Phantom . ? !!;)

OVERRATED

Luke Reynolds - Chris might not like this but I don't think Reynolds will have a huge impact at AFL level. He is a beautiful kick and strong mark and these are great qualities but I just think he will be too predictable at AFL level. He seems too reliant on his left boot and too willing to quickly swing around onto that side despite the pressure. Now I will admit I haven't seen enough of him so I will be happy to be proven wrong.

Have noticed he gets smothered quite a bit probably because he goes back to his left boot

Do share. :thumbsu:

Oh, it's nothing really. More just a joke, because Monocle took him in the BigFooty draft and I said I wasn't sure about his next two picks. Although I'm not entirely convinced he becomes a full time midfielder. I can see people picking him in their DreamTeam every year, just waiting for when he finally has a breakout season but for it never to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposition analysts will destroy him in the AFL. Hasn't got enough tricks I reckon.

Alternatively, you could argue that he will step up at the next level, and that AFL coaching will only make him better.

This is my own personal view but I think James Tsitas is over rated not because he hasnt been playing good this year but because I dont think he will make it at the next level.
His speed is simply not good enough for someone who gets so many touches on the outside and this will get exposed at the next level which was also seen against div 1 teams where he didnt get to many touches and his kicking isn't that great either.

Oh, it's nothing really. More just a joke, because Monocle took him in the BigFooty draft and I said I wasn't sure about his next two picks. Although I'm not entirely convinced he becomes a full time midfielder. I can see people picking him in their DreamTeam every year, just waiting for when he finally has a breakout season but for it never to come.

And that's actually a very legitimate concern. :thumbsu: If we all knew for sure that he would become a full time midfielder then he would go top four. I don't envisage him as a permanent fixture in the midfield but I think he will develop into a player that can take a turn in the midfield rotations. I would see him as a forward pocket to start out with and then HF and eventually as a Stevie J who goes into the midfield when required. I see Billings as a Le Cras at worst and at Stevie J at best however I think his marking is better than Stevie J's.

Jarman Impey for me is pretty underrated. I think moving up to AFL level and building his fitness base he can actually play a fair bit midfield. I really like his tackling and his calmness under pressure.

Tsitas for mine will be a gun. I like how he goes about his footy and even though he may not be the quickest, he still finds the ball. Lets not forget that there are so many elite midfielders who are relatively slow

I think Patrick Cripps is very underrated, his inside work is excellent, he spreads well and he has improved thoughout the year. Eli Templeton is also very underrated, he may be skinny but he is a super prospect and makes great decisions with the ball.Also Christopher Salem is right up there for mine with Dom Sheed, Trent Dumont and Luke Dunstan in that bracket of mids. He has improved a fair bit and his inside work seems to be coming on a bit this year and he hits the contest a lot harder now.

I actually rate Billings quite highly, I have him at pick 5 this year, he just seems to have a ton of class and he is one of the most damaging players in the draft. Sure there are concerns if he will ever be a full-time mid, but I see him as a cross between Marc LeCras and a forward version of Dal Santo.

As far as overrated, I don't really see it with Darcy Gardiner, at 192cm and only average athleticism he seems neither here nor there for mine. I think he will struggle at AFL level on big forwards and will probably be looking at either a second or third key position spot, plus he needs to improve his rebound. There are lots of questions marks there for mine, and he is not a first round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back