Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind Venus Bay as a beach.

Ha! Australian Crawl sing about two of those three things in Reckless

"Feel like Scott of the Antarctic
Base camp too far away
Russian sub beneath the Arctic
Burke and Wills and camels
Initials in the tree"

Iconic Aussie rock ballad that....Even after all these years, still can't decipher alot of what Reyne is singing.

Love those classic Aussie songs that capture the spiritual essence & uniqueness of this land.

Huge. Be 2 ton or bloody close to it.
She's really old, probably over fifty. They say the old big girls disappear into the deep hunting giant squid and the like. Will go nowhere near the surface for decades. Except to phuq and give birth, she's heavily pregnant.

Flinders founded Melbourne at the same time/arguably the same time as Batman, however was so detestable a human being he has all but been written out of the history books while Batman is generally regarded as the founder of Melbourne. He was a noted teetotaler who made his fortune running hotels in Tasmania, then set up a hotel in Melbourne while actively getting the local police force to shut down unauthorized "houses of ill repute".

The bathtub reference re: Burke and Wills was thrown in because they did in fact take a bathtub with them on their journey.

Not quite....Flinders name adorns arguably the most iconic landmark in central Melbourne: Flinders street station....There is also a suburb on the Western Port side of the Mornington Peninsula named in his honor,...While in South Aussie, there is a mountain range, suburb & University named in his honor....Then there is Flinders island in Bass Strait.

Crossed wires maybe?

As for Batman:

"Batman is a controversial figure due to his dealings with Aboriginal peoples in Van Diemen's Land and Victoria. The artist John Glover, Batman's neighbour in Van Diemens Land, said Batman was "a rogue, thief, cheat and liar, a murderer of blacks and the vilest man I have ever known".[1]

The treaty Batman negotiated with local Aboriginal peoples in 1835, to acquire land in the Port Phillip area, was a matter of controversy in his day, and has remained an event of great historical interest and debate."....Wikipaedia

Interestingly, his only son drowned in the Yarra....All that's left to mark his legacy is Batman Hill at the top end of Collins st & Batman avenue, which became infamous as the doomed location for the 'yellow peril' in the early 80's.

Both have electorates named after them; But Flinders dwarfs Batman, easily.

Matthew Flinders is also credited with having named our continent "Australia"'.

"Flinders was not the first to use the word "Australia", nor was he the first to apply the name specifically to the continent.[22] He owned a copy of Alexander Dalrymple's 1771 book An Historical Collection of Voyages and Discoveries in the South Pacific Ocean, and it seems likely he borrowed it from there, but he applied it specifically to the continent, not the whole South Pacific region. In 1804 he wrote to his brother: "I call the whole island Australia, or Terra Australis" and later that year he wrote to Sir Joseph Banks and mentioned "my general chart of Australia." A map Flinders constructed from all the information he had accumulated while he was in Australian waters and finished while he was detained by the French in Mauritius. Flinders explained in his letter to Banks:

The propriety of the name Australia or Terra Australis, which I have applied to the whole body of what has generally been called New Holland, must be submitted to the approbation of the Admiralty and the learned in geography. It seems to me an inconsistent thing that captain Cooks New South Wales should be absorbed in the New Holland of the Dutch, and therefore I have reverted to the original name Terra Australis or the Great South Land, by which it was distinguished even by the Dutch during the 17th century; for it appears that it was not until some time after Tasman's second voyage that the name New Holland was first applied, and then it was long before it displaced T’Zuydt Landt in the charts, and could not extend to what was not yet known to have existence; New South Wales, therefore, ought to remain distinct from New Holland; but as it is requisite that the whole body should have one general name, since it is now known (if there is no great error in the Dutch part) that it is certainly all one land, so I judge, that one less exceptionable to all parties and on all accounts cannot be found than that now applied.[23][24]

Flinders continued to promote the use of the word until his arrival in London in 1810. Here he found that Banks did not approve of the name and had not unpacked the chart he had sent him, and that "New Holland" and "Terra Australis" were still in general use. As a result, a book by Flinders was published under the title A Voyage to Terra Australis despite his objections. The final proofs were brought to him on his deathbed, but he was unconscious. The book was published on 18 July 1814, but Flinders did not regain consciousness and died the next day, never knowing that his name for the continent would be later accepted.[25]"

Wikipaedia

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong post/user name collation.

Strong sooz-like misuse of an obscure term. I can't even work out what you were going for but I'm sure you racked your brain when you realised 'ratio' wasn't quite right. Good try though.

Regardless you appear to have missed the point, in which case I would advise you to "lurk moar"

Stylish in the way half your lecture is.
Front bar of the Gero hotel

That shark wouldn't last 10 seconds in Geraldton

Big stoush brewing in the Gascoyne demersal fishery.Plan is to allow fish traps for 2 years(bad move).Apparently the wet-line boys have been complaining that sharks have been pinching too many fish off their hooks.The answer isn't to go rape it with traps.Shark Bay gunna get sharkier.

Crossed wires maybe?
Not at all - the lay person generally regards John Batman as the founder of Melbourne and most would recognize "Batmania" as one of the original names for Melbourne (almost as known as Bearbrass). Despite the name of Flinders St train station most people don't know who Flinders actually is.

Never even thought about it in the bay over here, to be honest. I don't surf, and only really wade about 10 metres in when I go to the beach. As others have said - its their house, not ours.

Big stoush brewing in the Gascoyne demersal fishery.Plan is to allow fish traps for 2 years(bad move).Apparently the wet-line boys have been complaining that sharks have been pinching too many fish off their hooks.The answer isn't to go rape it with traps.Shark Bay gunna get sharkier.
There won't be a big stoush unfortunately, it appears to be pretty much a done deal.
Recfish will kick up a bit of a stink but the commercials really want this.

Vale inshore fish and coral.

There won't be a big stoush unfortunately, it appears to be pretty much a done deal.
Recfish will kick up a bit of a stink but the commercials really want this.

Vale inshore fish and coral.
I've got a commercial fishing licence and recreational fishing licence.There's no way I'd go fish trapping,s**t is going to get wiped out real quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back