Autopsy Round 5, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Another positive was listening to pavlova skip around the crowd size - not comparing!!
47 605? or 650ish
the important numbers are the first 2.

edit, it was 47 665
wrong on both counts.
who's the 1 campaigner who couldn't get us to 666?

Last edited:

there were marks waterman took today using strength he didn’t have last year.
He took 2 down my end where he got goal side of his opponent who was back to the ball pushing back into him. and he just held them off after picking the ball drop.
Was fantastic on the snap, compared to Jack darlings and Bailys that he went with the drop punt.
had a tougher time from further out.
But he took a similar mark from a Reid delivery in one of our other games. picked up the ball drop, in the square, stiff armed his opponent and caught it almost on the ground.
Check that he hasn't joined his namesake on the HGH.

+
The win - obviously.
Better skills this week.
Ball delivery into forward line faster and more direct - gave forwards better chance.
Darling much improved.
Second biggest crowd of this weekends games. Up the coaster supporters.
A glimmer of hope is starting to shine.
Up field pressure more intense - covered some defensive shortcomings. Made a change from previous years when defence kept scores a little better.
Yeo, Reid, Kelly in the midfield.
Gibney, Chester, Long, better games.
Won despite McGovern and Barrass being less noticeable.
Witherden surprised me.
Waterman.

-
Another injury to Edwards - guy needs a break.
Jack Williams needs to show more desire. Seems a little slow for mine.
Barrass got owned today.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know I got dugg as my profile pic, but I’m not a big poster on the boards and rarely change my settings. I thought Duggan played the captains game today. Compared to other weeks where he was woeful on turnover, he instead played to his strengths in the contest. I guess he looked much better thanks to everyone forward of ball having a day out and leading for a change, instead of the stagnant ball movement we have become accustomed to for the last 3 years.

Bring on the Harley Reid era, that boy is special, and you can see both him and Yeo were just feeding off each others energy.

I know I got dugg as my profile pic, but I’m not a big poster on the boards and rarely change my settings. I thought Duggan played the captains game today. Compared to other weeks where he was woeful on turnover, he instead played to his strengths in the contest. I guess he looked much better thanks to everyone forward of ball having a day out and leading for a change, instead of the stagnant ball movement we have become accustomed to for the last 3 years.

Bring on the Harley Reid era, that boy is special, and you can see both him and Yeo were just feeding off each others energy.
Id like to watch the replay, but he had a passage where it seemed like Harley had possession of him.
Swerved through 3 and broke out of two on the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one negative.

I want the bloke who offered up playing Harley off half back this year to be demoted for a month. Mid/deep forward was always the go with him.
I said he's as effective as jai Culley at FF given how awful we are. Unable to isolate him 1 on 1 due to transition awfulness. Also lack of entries means he is nullified. That I still stand by.

I have not seen anything to warrant him mid/deep forward yet with this squad. He played mostly mid today. He played like 10 percent fwd.

I will concede mid only is prob best for him. And due to his endurance he can't really go rest in HBF. But he would be amazing of half back

We are playing Reid like 10 percent of the time in the deep forward which is fine and I'm not raging.

When we are contending aka a top 8 side then yes reid to deep fwd please.

Last edited:
Man that Yeo tackle is part of the highlights, he comes in from the side and brings him down as one motion the whole way.
hes made a more dangerous tackle this year on a team mate FFS.

Positives

• Harley Reid. He is everything we could have ever hoped for and more. Right in that Ben Cousins mould, jumper number and all.
  • Jake Waterman, huge game particularly after last season. Kicking needs work but he worked bloody hard all game and really picked up the slack.
  • Yeoy, absolute superstar. Clearance beast, speed, strength, the whole lot. I hope he stays healthy, he is so important for us.
  • Tim Kelly is a hecking jet.
  • The happiness on the faces of the boys after the game. Genuine happiness and pride.
  • Worked hard. Came back from some serious adversity there. Took our lead, didn't roll over. Would have been nice to come home strong but that's fine.
  • Was a bit hard on Chesser early on today. Glad to see him get into it, kick a good goal and provide a bit of run. Can I just highlight that Chesser was the second fastest bloke on the field today, clocking up 33.1km/h. Ahead of Pickett, Brockman, Petrucelle and only behind Daniel Rioli. Wow.
  • The mental benefit of this win for the boys today.

HM:
Petrucelle coming good.
Some decent play from Ginbey.
Hough reliable for the most part.
Long in and amongst everything.

Negatives

• Darling is washed. Arguably his easiest match up for the season. Four turnovers, was thereabouts for everything but barely fired a shot. Lucky to make the distance for his last set shot.
  • If Richmond's midfield didn't get pantsed, Barrass would have been given an absolute bath by a rugby player.
  • What is Tyler Brockman? Where does he fit? Is he even any good?
  • Defence was always going to have a hard time with the speed they stuck in their forward line, however was exposed a little, an issue if they had Lynch etc.

Amazing win! Great momentum into next week.

I was pretty depressed after the Dogs game because I didn't see any improvement from the kids. But we've bounced back and built some continuity within the bulk of the squad.

With the number of players currently not playing who should or arguably would be pressing for selection, there is reason to believe we can remain competitive for the rest of the season.

Positives:
Reid - composure, aggression, skill and doing the right thing at the right time.

Waterman - work up the ground was as good as his six goals.

Yeo - less explosive more bullocking version giving his team mates time.

Brockman - chasing and pressure elite.

Petch - his stint in the midfield last year has changed him. Makes good decisions and has gained composure.

Long & Chesser - quality games from these two.

Witherden - clearly out worst and will be easy to drop.

Negative:

Kelly - great game. Kicking inside 50 garbage.

Man that Yeo tackle is part of the highlights, he comes in from the side and brings him down as one motion the whole way.
hes made a more dangerous tackle this year on a team mate FFS.
Agree, it was a perfect tackle, and solid. Nothing wrong with that.

I've been one of Darlings staunchest supporters but unless there's a big turnaround, this will be his last year, or honour his contract for next year, but told he's WAFL bound and only used if there are many injuries.

I sure did, if it meant for picks 2 & 3. I then would have traded 3 for 6 & 11. Would have drafted McKercher (after bidding on Walter), O'Sullivan (After bidding on Ethan Read) and Wilson. Then would have gone straight for an inside mid with our nominal second rounder with Hall and been done.

In an open draft I still would have taken Walter above Reid and still would.

It was a great game by Reid and i'm happy to have him at the club.
Some people just never learn !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back