100th Anniversary of the Day Nothing Happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you feel better after getting all that off your chest? Despite what you think or feel the fact is that what happened 100 years ago on that day was indeed a very significant day in the history of this country.
Men boarded a ship and sailed away. Nothing happened. Though, you may be right in one respect. Such days will be revered in the minds of imbeciles over the next four years. A celebration of nothingness seems appropriate for those unable to think beyond the obvious.

What people fail to see is that this whole sickening revisionism achieves nothing, other than making them somehow feel warm inside. It's not about those who died or indeed served. The only active ingredient in this process is people of your ilk. The fallen are playing no part.

If this is such a vital day in Australian history, why is the 100th anniversary in any way more important than the 97th? How many turned up on that anniversary at Albany? The whole disgusting process is a sham of a travesty and a completely artificial construct. You seem to have swallowed it like that was your job.

Why else would one join the armed services?

I can think of worse jobs than stuffing about in one of these for a living.

73-f-18-super-hornet-1920x1080-aircraft-wallpaper.jpg

The problem is commemoration of war has moved from quiet reflection and recognition of what is a horrid tragedy in history, to a "celebration".

We should be remembering the plight of these poor young boys, not celebrating what they went through.

You want to recognise the admirable traits they displayed, so it's a fine line, but a line you shouldn't cross nonetheless. It's not about celebration, it's about remembrance.

Men boarded a ship and sailed away. Nothing happened. Though, you may be right in one respect. Such days will be revered in the minds of imbeciles over the next four years. A celebration of nothingness seems appropriate for those unable to think beyond the obvious.

What people fail to see is that this whole sickening revisionism achieves nothing, other than making them somehow feel warm inside. It's not about those who died or indeed served. The only active ingredient in this process is people of your ilk. The fallen are playing no part.

If this is such a vital day in Australian history, why is the 100th anniversary in any way more important than the 97th? How many turned up on that anniversary at Albany? The whole disgusting process is a sham of a travesty and a completely artificial construct. You seem to have swallowed it like that was your job.

Your time would be better spent on masturbating and swallowing, clearly you have an obsession with both.

It's terrible when you retire though....nothing even comes close to the rush. Not even three women at the same time.

At least, that's how I imagine it.
I'm a fail on this. Never flown a plane and only ever had two women at one time. Don't get me started.

Spent about a fortnight on the Gallipoli Peninsula and apart from its spectacular coast,great food and friendly locals my enduring memories are of how narrow the Dardenelles are and how dumb you'd be to think you could sail ships up a narrow waterway which had been intensely and successfully defended for thousands of years and how even dumber you'd be to think men would run up or scale something which is like the WA Giralia Ranges with 40/50 degree temps against a dug in bunch of toughies who were fighting for their homeland.
Most memorable for me are the words of Attaturk and the number of Turks I met around the Peninsula's numerous graveyards and warsites who were so familiar with the story and the fact that it was yet another war where politicians sent the sons' of a nation to die whilst attacking or defending not really a way of life or philosophy but simply their own lives.

Its ironic but the 1911 british census asked questions about fertility and how many children, dead or alive the females had had. The reason given is the authorities were worried about population decline.

The same authorities sent a generation off to their deaths a few years later, and the females of the generation had no problem with dead childdren because theur chances of finding a husband were very low.

Incidentally a lot of people rebelled againt the intrusive questions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't normally go in for the whole post-modern Anzac whining, but finding the appeal of this to so many people be really bizarre.

The amount of Federal coin being poured into Albany for this is appalling.

I've read a few books that make the point - 'Anzac has become the country's de-facto religion'.

Hard to argue - everything related to Anzac (such as where the boat left from in Australia - what's next - the factory that made the rations?) is treated with such reverence, any criticism is howled down pretty decisively (things like the Australians had the worst disciplinary record of the allied combat nations in WW1 - and the highest incidence of VD - the British commanders disdainful evaluation of the Australian troops) - these things are ignored and favorable reports accepted uncritically. The pilgrimage to Anzac Cove (and Kokoda) is now almost seen as our Hajj - you must do it.

The Anzac commemorations are now at the stage where the commemorations are sacred and important and to be treasured - rather than the things they commemorate.

I've read a few books that make the point - 'Anzac has become the country's de-facto religion'.

Hard to argue - everything related to Anzac (such as where the boat left from in Australia - what's next - the factory that made the rations?) is treated with such reverence, any criticism is howled down pretty decisively (things like the Australians had the worst disciplinary record of the allied combat nations in WW1 - and the highest incidence of VD - the British commanders disdainful evaluation of the Australian troops) - these things are ignored and favorable reports accepted uncritically. The pilgrimage to Anzac Cove (and Kokoda) is now almost seen as our Hajj - you must do it.

The Anzac commemorations are now at the stage where the commemorations are sacred and important and to be treasured - rather than the things they commemorate.
If these pilgrims to Gallipoli and the Kokoda trekkers are truly trying to understand what the soldiers endured 100, and then 60 years ago respectively, it should be arranged that an artillery barrage or sniper fire be directed at them during their visit. I'm sure they'd all be proud to die for the sake of their holiday.

They have to continue the charade otherwise no one would ever join the armed services. It sounds jingoistic to you because you are intellectually mature enough to see through it. But many aren't.

Ask any serviceman why they joined and they will give you some version of the 'protect our freedoms' palaver. Why else would one join the armed services?
I joined 32 years ago for a job as a 16 year old apprentice, and am still in the ADF.

The 'freedom' thing is important, but it is only one component of service. But hey, feel free to generalise and sneer behind your hand and polite words.

I joined 32 years ago for a job as a 16 year old apprentice, and am still in the ADF.

The 'freedom' thing is important, but it is only one component of service. But hey, feel free to generalise and sneer behind your hand and polite words.

It's a personal question, and so you can give me the internet e-finger as a response if you want - but what DID motivate you to join up? Those I know who joined would have 'patriotism' way down the list and 'boredom' and 'learn a trade with real job security (not in those words of course)' up the list near the top.

The military life never appealed to me, but I could never look down on those who joined up with disdain. Though I hate the way our military is used, I also know that the decisions are never made by the rank-and-file. And even the high ranks are told where to march by civvies in suits with an agenda.

The whole thing's f*cked.

It's a personal question, and so you can give me the internet e-finger as a response if you want - but what DID motivate you to join up? Those I know who joined would have 'patriotism' way down the list and 'boredom' and 'learn a trade with real job security (not in those words of course)' up the list near the top.

The military life never appealed to me, but I could never look down on those who joined up with disdain. Though I hate the way our military is used, I also know that the decisions are never made by the rank-and-file. And even the high ranks are told where to march by civvies in suits with an agenda.

The whole thing's f*cked.

I had always been fascinated with the military, and when I was growing up in the 70's 'Commando and Battle Picture Weekly' comics were a source of great delight to me.

I grew up in Northern Tasmania, and left school (year 10) in 1981 during a terrible recession. I applied for an apprenticeship in the Army and was accepted.

So patriotism was never really a consideration as a 16 year old know nothing.

32 years later, three distinctly different careers and still going strong.

I have no problems with the civilians giving the overall orders, that is part of being in a liberal democracy.

What I do have a problem with is idiots like this:

Assistant Defence Minister Stuart Robert described defence personnel’s current salaries as “generous”, citing an “enormous number of allowances”, subsidised housing and health care benefits.

He is basically saying "Be happy with what you have, we can always remove that too".

Housing is subsidised for example because most people are only in a location for 2-4 years. So owning a house is problematic.

And health has to be free, imagine being shot on operations and having to actually pay to get fixed.

Love being in the Army, hate being kicked around by idiot politicians that use us for a photo op at ANZAC Day or at a Ramp Ceremony; and ignored for the rest of their brief time in office.

Flogs and *******s every last one of them.

I had always been fascinated with the military, and when I was growing up in the 70's 'Commando and Battle Picture Weekly' comics were a source of great delight to me.

I grew up in Northern Tasmania, and left school (year 10) in 1981 during a terrible recession. I applied for an apprenticeship in the Army and was accepted.

So patriotism was never really a consideration as a 16 year old know nothing.

32 years later, three distinctly different careers and still going strong.

I have no problems with the civilians giving the overall orders, that is part of being in a liberal democracy.

What I do have a problem with is idiots like this:

Assistant Defence Minister Stuart Robert described defence personnel’s current salaries as “generous”, citing an “enormous number of allowances”, subsidised housing and health care benefits.

He is basically saying "Be happy with what you have, we can always remove that too".

Housing is subsidised for example because most people are only in a location for 2-4 years. So owning a house is problematic.

And health has to be free, imagine being shot on operations and having to actually pay to get fixed.

Love being in the Army, hate being kicked around by idiot politicians that use us for a photo op at ANZAC Day or at a Ramp Ceremony; and ignored for the rest of their brief time in office.

Flogs and *******s every last one of them.
This thread is in no way directed at those who have or do serve. Not something I'd personally like to do, but the way you describe it, it is (was?) more than just a job for you. You are one of those rare birds who was able to do as a job, that which most interested you. On that count alone, you are lucky. The way you describe it, I can't help but draw parallels with the way those who are in our emergency services are treated - ignored till they're needed - then ignored again.

I meant this thread to be about people who seek to attach themselves to those who are doing, and have done, the job you do (did), with no valid excuse except that it makes them feel somehow part of something important. What I find unforgivable is their complete lack of awareness of the gaucheness of what they do. War stories as entertainment, with audience participation.

Edit: To have escaped Tasmania is achievement enough. Well done.

Last edited:
This thread is in no way directed at those who have or do serve. Not something I'd personally like to do, but the way you describe it, it is more than just a job for you. You are one of those rare birds who has been able to do as a job, that which most interests you. On that count alone, you are lucky. The way you describe it, I can't help but draw parallels with the way those who are in our emergency services are treated - ignored till they're needed - then ignored again.

I meant this thread to be about people who seek to attach themselves to those who are doing, and have done, the job you do, with no valid excuse except that it makes them feel somehow part of something important. What I find unforgivable is their complete lack of awareness of the gaucheness of what they do. War stories as entertainment, with audience participation.
I never took it to be an 'attack' on the ADF.

I totally agree with your sentiments about how the whole thing has been hijacked.

Bogan nationalism does nothing for me.

OP is wrong. This is the 100th anniversary of the start of many 100th anniversaries to come over the next few years. Too bad the OP can't see this.
And of what significance is it that these will be 100th anniversaries? Do you think solely by numbers? Are you obsessed with fatuous tidiness? Do you ever embrace anything but the bleeding obvious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back