Draft Review 2007 - Redo the 2007 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: re do the 2007 draft now that we know what we know

anyone who still doesn't have Kruezer 1 is kidding themselves.

If I were to do it now my order would be:

1. Cotchin - Will be a one of the best mids in the comp in the next fews years. Obviously some bias here but he and Kruizer are definitley top 2 imo.

2. Kruezer - Developing into a very good ruckman. Once he starts getting more of the ball I think we will see his worth. He is definitley not a KPF and should not be wasted there.

3. Jack Grimes - Gun and a bargain for Melbourne

4. Cyril Rioli - I think he is a tad overhyped but still an awesome player.

5. Dangerfield - Alot of hype around Dangerfield and he is still yet to deliver on a consistent basis due to injury. Very similar to Cotchin in that regard and when he starts striging games together should be interesting. I never really rated him until I saw what he did to Craig Bolton. Still needs to become a genuine midfielder though.

6. Harry Taylor - Really good CHB and would be a bargain most years at pick 6.

7. Cale Morton - Still needs to fill out but has a big tank..

8. Palmer - Good accumulator....disposal can hurt him but still a gut running mid

9. McEvoy - Will be decent ruckman his whole career.

10. Masten - Still yet to see his best IMO.

Callan Ward would closely follow. Henderson, Myers and Grant slip out of the top 10.

Cale Morton over Tayte Pears?
....astounding.

I actually forgot about Tayte Peares however I am not his biggest fan. I think he will be a decent defender but not the top 2-3 best FB in the league in 3-4 years like people are suggesting.

I have seen Riewoldt destroy him twice and think you also have to factor in that Dustin Fletcher will only be giving him a chop out for the next 2 years max.

Peares got 5 goals kicked on him by Riewoldt in 1st and 4th quarter but Fletcher only conceded 1 in two quarters. If Peares was on Riewoldt the whole game how many would he have kicked? Obviously Riewoldt has 1 year on him and is a decent player so maybe I am being harsh but I would take Morton before him.

Pears might be top 10, might not.
Just think there's a few in there who've not done as much, which is the basis of 'now we know what we know' comparoes.

He is still a decent player and could probably slot in for McEvoy or Masten or even Morton, I sort of did it on a from today who would I think could offer the most to the Tigers for the next 10 years. So I factored in potential as well obviously....

Hard draft to Rank imo

Kruezer is currently the stand out, with Taylor, Cotchin, Dangerfield and Rioli all very evenly matched for 2-5.

Parmer, Morton, Pears and Grimes would be next.

As it stands im very happy with Grant and Ward for the dogs and think they will both rise up the standing over the next couple years.

I think we will look back at this draft as a very strong draft, but with potential and current form added together Kruezer is easily the best player so far.

I actually forgot about Tayte Peares however I am not his biggest fan. I think he will be a decent defender but not the top 2-3 best FB in the league in 3-4 years like people are suggesting.

I have seen Riewoldt destroy him twice and think you also have to factor in that Dustin Fletcher will only be giving him a chop out for the next 2 years max.

Peares got 5 goals kicked on him by Riewoldt in 1st and 4th quarter but Fletcher only conceded 1 in two quarters. If Peares was on Riewoldt the whole game how many would he have kicked? Obviously Riewoldt has 1 year on him and is a decent player so maybe I am being harsh but I would take Morton before him.

Just keep in mind that was his first game back from breaking his arm 3 weeks earlier. It had to have had an effect on his confidence spoiling.

Yeah fair call but he also kicked 6 on him last year. I still think he is decent just think he is getting a tad too much praise at the moment.

Could still prove me wrong!!

Yeah fair call but he also kicked 6 on him last year. I still think he is decent just think he is getting a tad too much praise at the moment.

Could still prove me wrong!!

True, Jack Riewoldt seems to be Pears' bogey player.

Anyone who has Morton in their top ten is just doing it because he was taken at 4. To this point he has done sfa and hasnt developed a body. Really has to start showing something for his sake alone.

gb:eek:

Anyone who has Morton in their top ten is just doing it because he was taken at 4. To this point he has done sfa and hasnt developed a body. Really has to start showing something for his sake alone.

Um, no.

The only reason you say that is because: a. your anti-melbourne bias b. the only vision you've seen of Morton is when he 'ran away' from Lade

2008 (his first season):
22 diposals, 6 marks and 2 goals against Geelong in his 3rd game
18 disposals, 8 marks and 3 goals against Adelaide
20 dispsoals, 6 marks and 2 goals against Fremantle
26 disposals, 7 marks and 3 goals against Essendon
30 dispsoals, 17 marks and 1 goal against West Coast
26 disposals, 10 marks against Port Adelaide

2009 he averaged: 23 disposals, 7 marks and kicked 9 goals over the season.

That's SFA for someone who has played for 2 years, right? :eek::eek: ********.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, no.

The only reason you say that is because: a. your anti-melbourne bias b. the only vision you've seen of Morton is when he 'ran away' from Lade

2008 (his first season):
22 diposals, 6 marks and 2 goals against Geelong in his 3rd game
18 disposals, 8 marks and 3 goals against Adelaide
20 dispsoals, 6 marks and 2 goals against Fremantle
26 disposals, 7 marks and 3 goals against Essendon
30 dispsoals, 17 marks and 1 goal against West Coast
26 disposals, 10 marks against Port Adelaide

2009 he averaged: 23 disposals, 7 marks and kicked 9 goals over the season.

That's SFA for someone who has played for 2 years, right? :eek::eek: ********.

Disposals can be meaningless when you collect cheap 15 meter backwards passes. How many of those touches were contested how many meters did he gain and how many times did he go inside 50. Thats what matters. His brother kicked 40 goals last year in a shocking team yet he was considered a pretty average player, why? because hes soft as is Jaryd and from what i can see, so is Cale.

Why would i have an anti Melbourne bias? The only thing i can be jealous of is your priority picks and i dont think you've done as well as you think you have :eek:

Disposals can be meaningless when you collect cheap 15 meter backwards passes. How many of those touches were contested how many meters did he gain and how many times did he go inside 50. Thats what matters. His brother kicked 40 goals last year in a shocking team yet he was considered a pretty average player, why? because hes soft as is Jaryd and from what i can see, so is Cale.

Why would i have an anti Melbourne bias? The only thing i can be jealous of is your priority picks and i dont think you've done as well as you think you have :eek:

1. His brother is currently playing VFL
2. does every player in the team HAVE to collect contested ball, gain meters and go inside 50... are you saying that any player who doesnt do that is a soft and average player??
3 this season Cale morton is averaging 5 constested possesions a game out of 18, 3 inside 50s a game ... but that is just 2 games and that is also as a defender
4. IF YOU WANT THOSE STATS FIND THEM YOURSELF!!!! and DONT base your argument on assumptions that he has a low number of CP, I50's and metres gained go out and find the stats!!!

Who haven't you seen Riewoldt destroy?

Cale Morton over Tayte Pears?
....astounding.

Pears had the most goals kicked on him over any AFL player in 2009 and on a per game basis is about the same mark this year. Not sure that really earns him a spot up the top of the list just yet.

Mate J Riewoldt has chopped up much more experienced opponents this year.

I wouldn't be too harsh on Pears vs Richmond - he just got back from a bloody broken wrist!

Pears had the most goals kicked on him over any AFL player in 2009 and on a per game basis is about the same mark this year. Not sure that really earns him a spot up the top of the list just yet.

So what? He was a 19 year old FB playing on the biggest and best forwards week-in, week-out - would you expect otherwise?

Prior to his broken wrist, he was in excellent form and only Taylor and Grundy and perhaps Frawley were playing better.

1. His brother is currently playing VFL
2. does every player in the team HAVE to collect contested ball, gain meters and go inside 50... are you saying that any player who doesnt do that is a soft and average player??
3 this season Cale morton is averaging 5 constested possesions a game out of 18, 3 inside 50s a game ... but that is just 2 games and that is also as a defender
4. IF YOU WANT THOSE STATS FIND THEM YOURSELF!!!! and DONT base your argument on assumptions that he has a low number of CP, I50's and metres gained go out and find the stats!!!

Of course this is my assumption and i'll stand by it, quite a few of my Melbourne supporting mates completely agree. If you want me to change my opinion give me the stats i want to hear. Btw, loose ball gets apparently come under the banner of "contested possessions" so dont get wet over cales 5 per game!

Of course this is my assumption and i'll stand by it, quite a few of my Melbourne supporting mates completely agree. If you want me to change my opinion give me the stats i want to hear. Btw, loose ball gets apparently come under the banner of "contested possessions" so dont get wet over cales 5 per game!

i dont want you to change your opinion... your welcome to not rate morton... but if you are going to make a statement please back it up with some evidence

btw i wasnt saying 5 contested possessions per game was good either, i was just giving you the stats...

i agree, he is not a contested ball winner, but that does not mean he cant be a good player

i dont want you to change your opinion... your welcome to not rate morton... but if you are going to make a statement please back it up with some evidence

btw i wasnt saying 5 contested possessions per game was good either, i was just giving you the stats...

i agree, he is not a contested ball winner, but that does not mean he cant be a good player

Cool! I don't rate Morton either! He's as soft as they come!! Traditional sheepdog, who doesn't have the elite skills to excel at that position. Reminds me of a lankier version of Jordy McMahon!

Cool! I don't rate Morton either! He's as soft as they come!! Traditional sheepdog, who doesn't have the elite skills to excel at that position. Reminds me of a lankier version of Jordy McMahon!

Jordan McMahon is a true hero! never speak ill of him!!

Its funny looking at some of these updated re-worked drafts. I assume alot forget how good Andy Otten was last year before doing his ACL in pre season and they also forget Taylor Walker was drafted in this year. Both would be worth top 10 picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back