2009 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- The Real Deal (Selections Only thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2009 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- The Real Deal (Discussion thread)

Unlike the last couple of years everyone seems to be playing it pretty much by the book this year and no-one has really fallen to me. I would have loved Bastinac or Bartlett to have fallen to me but it was not to be. As far as the options here I considered Harwood, Thomas and Crichton to give us an in and under which we need and if our squad didn't already have 20 or so HBFers I would have taken Menzel who I think will be a beauty (if your team needs a quarterback this is the guy I recommend you have a look at). There is also a speccie that I considered taking here who suits our needs down to the ground but hopefully he should be available for my next pick. I will be very disappointed if he gets taken before then. Anyway on with my pick:

Pick 27 - Brisbane

Nat Fyfe (Claremont, WA)
Height: 187.4cm, Weight: 75.1kg, DOB: 18/09/91

This guy is one of Irel’s favourites and as he is usually pretty close to the money in regards to the WA boys I have taken a good close look at him and think as usual he might be onto a winner. Taylor has been the one who has been exciting a lot of people whose teams are picking around here but the one I think they should be looking to as the medium forward with X factor is Fyfe. He has variously been compared to Steve Johnson and Brett Burton and there are definite similarities there to both. Fyfe will play as forward in the AFL either in a pocket or more likely as a half forward. For his size he is probably the best mark available in this draft. He has a very nice leap and when he gets his hands on the ball it usually sticks. Like Johnson he does not have top shelf speed (he tested pretty ordinary in this respect at Camp) but has very good endurance for a half forward and will often try and run his opposition player into the ground working up onto the wings. He also reads the game exceptionally well and despite lacking a little pace he gets to the right spots at the right times and a step ahead of his opposition. He can do some very clever things when he gets the ball and whilst they often come off there are times when he is left looking a bit silly. Still at this stage I would not be trying to stifle his creativity and would be encouraging him to practice these things. If you want amazing you have to practice it and this kid, like Taylor, can do things around goal that set them apart from anyone else in this draft. He has a great awareness of where the goals are and unlike Taylor he is actually a good shot for goal. Whilst Taylor will frustrate supporters with his inconsistency in front of goals and missing the easy ones Fyfe should just keep converting. He is not an elite kick around the ground but he consistently hits his targets. Fyfe is a one touch player when the ball hits the deck and he has good hands to set up others when he has to. At Camp he had a bit of a mixed bag and the biggest surprise for me was how poorly he tested for agility. On the park he looks pretty agile but he didn’t test that way for some reason. He improved a great deal this year and his potential to continue to improve is there for all to see. At present I think the biggest issue for him is to find ways to get more of the ball. He is a low possession winner at present and whilst he still has an influence on the game his endurance should allow him to get more of it than he currently does. He did some very nice things at the Champs for WA and in the WAFL colts he had some very big games including one where he picked up 8 goals from 16 marks.

PICK28 (Geelong) - Nathan Vardy (VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 25/06/91
Recruited from: Gippsland Power
Player comparison: Darren Jolly

I think next best available as well as covering a need at Geelong with the loss of Mummy.
Vardy is a good height, and is strong with his tapwork, and takes a good mark.
One of the few genuine ruckman available in this draft.

Pick #29 Adelaide - Daniel Menzel (Central District) 185cm 77kg

Was not sure if he would last to here so am glad he has, perhaps a little underated I'm not sure. I could have taken a few others here, Harwood for one but I think Menzel kills him in the skills and DM department.

Menzel is a quality half-back who can also play through the middle and also even up forward with good effect. His usual place is across half back in a kind of sweeper/quarterback role and he does this to great effect. Has excellent foot skills, something I always look for in a footballer. The crows love to play skilled players out of defence and I think he could really add to our run from behind that we so often use to attack with. Is also a very good reader of the play and chops off a lot of forward thrusts with good positioning and strong overhead marking. Also doesn't mind to run off, probably not the quickest going around so may get caught at AFL level. His inside game is probably not as good and can lack a little core strength, is no bulldozer by any means, so would def be suited to a 'hanging off the back' role. Could be used up forward though as a running goalkicker, can turn it on when he wants to.

He does remind me a bit of Ryan Griffen at times the way he moves and baulks, but not that dynamic. But nonetheless a solid player with a big future and should end up a nice size. Has a fairly good upside and should be easily a solid player in 2-3years time once his development is complete. One to seriously look out for.

# 30 – Collingwood
Alex Carey / Glenelg / 181cm / 79kg

Its getting harder now. I reckon the next 30-40 kids are all pretty even and we will see the actual results swing really wildly from what we expect.

This was a pretty difficult selection for me. I am a massive fan of Fitzpatrick but having recruited Jolly then the need for him is reduced particularly in light of Collingwood's mad search for an inside midfielder like Ball or Welsh. So thats what I went looking for. In the mix for me was Thomas, Hutchings, Crichton but its ultimately Carey I wanted. Thomas was close but I have seen Carey a number of times and been really impressed. McMillan-Pittard was also in the mix but given we have Blight coming thru in that role he just wasnt really in the mix.

Carey is an AFL / AIS graduate and is a very good cricketer as well. Strong build and very physical player who excels around the contest and is very courageous. Like many others in this draft has really good contested possession capability and his work around the clearances, particularly by hand, are exceptional. Can have a tendency to overplay the release but for the main part is very good. In many ways he reminds of Joel Selwood - just goes all day, great athlete, courageous and never going to let you down. Like Joel the issue is the kicking - is not elite but its still very good.

The one that got away - Bartlett. Having nabbed him at #85 in the trial I was at least hoping he would wait till #30. Thanks Pykie!

#31 Western Bulldogs - Jack Fitzpatrick (VIC, Western Jets)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 26/06/91

Fitzpatrick has plenty of knockers, but i've got no doubt he will develop into the tall the Doggies are a looking for. Western suburbs boy who will take time (2 years under Barry Hall will do him no harm), but has all the makings. I've grown up playing footy with Fitzy all my life and there has never been any doubt he was AFL bound. His obvious strength has always been his athleticism; 2.88 PB on the 20m sprint, topped the repeated efforts at draft camp and has remarkable agility for a big man. He has a mature football brain, terrific people skills, his instructional talk on the feild and at training is enormous, and probably often oversighted - he will make a great leader of the club one day. Jack suffered from chronic fatique syndrome a few years ago, inhibiting his ability to maintain a regular training/fitness routine. He is growing out of this (13.1 in the beep a reflection), and i think he rather unfairly gets tagged as a lazy trainer.

In his 17th year I saw Jack dominate TAC games from Full Forward (7 goals, admittedly against NT), Centre half back, in the ruck and as running defender. He slowed in 2009, although it's a little known fact he broke his thumb in round 2, which crippled him all year. His marking and speed is hard to question and when he plays in the ruck (not often) he is quite descisive. His knockers seem to take aim at his kicking and strength. His kicking technique is awkward, yet equally sound around the feild. He has worked on his technique in the AIS, and the Doggies have an excellent development program (now headed by Peter German), where significant improvements to his kicking action and strength will be made with weekly evaluation. Fitzy's goalkicking is a concern - it has improved to show an overall record of 38.23 in the TAC cup, however he never really seems to have a regular routine. I remember a Jets under 16s match where he kicked 0.7, that said round 4 last year he kicked 7.1. It is volatile to say the least. In regards to strength, Jack is obviously skinny however he has a strong core; he stands up in tackles and uses his body expertly in marking contests. However i also have memories of him being thrown around by Josh Milani of GC... which i'm sure is forgiveable.

The Bulldogs will draft Jack as a FF, i think this is his strong suit because of his remarkable pace of the mark and strong hands. The luxury is Jack will also make a great following ruckman or 3rd defender. If all goes to plan he could be anything. A tall triangle of Cordy, Fitzpatrick and Roughead in a few years time will be very formidable.

I was seriously considering Serhat Temel (who i rate best KPF in TAC cup) here, along with Dave Astbury. Fitzpatrick's bottomless potential is what compelled me to pick him.

Being a neutral observer this year, Bourky PM'ed me his two preferences before heading off to cricket....

St Kilda - pick 32, Dylan McNeil

Dylan McNeil

Absolutely delighted that I was able to land Dylan here. Exactly the type of player every club would love to draft and it's handy that he fits some of most vital needs too.

Although relatively small in size and stature, Dylan makes up for it with the effort he puts in on the field. McNeil is quite versatile too, with the ability to play as a small forward and kick goals (as highlighted throughout this years national carnival). But he is definitely at home in the middle of the park.. St.Kilda has been crying out for a midfielder with the ability to kick goals and although I doubt Dylan would feature next season, it's certainly something good to have down the track. Has been likened to Lenny Hayes in the way he goes about his football and I can definitely see the resemblance. With Lenny getting on in age and clouds over Luke Ball's future at the club, it really only leaves David Armitage as a pure inside midfielder left at the club so Dylan (although not a pure inside midfielder) will help out in this regard.

Statistics
- Captain of both NSW/ACT and Murray Bushrangers
- Winner of Hunter Harrison Medal 2009 (best 2nd division player at National Championships

Player Resemblance
Smaller version of Lenny Hayes

Strengths
- Strong for his size
- Goalkicking midfielder
- Great attitude towards his football
- Leadership potential

Weaknesses
- Still only a kid, very small in size but could turn out to be like Gary Ablett Jnr in his build if he bulks up a bit and puts in the hard yards.

more to come.

Pick 33 Jasper McMillan-Pittard 186cm 74kg Utility Geelong Falcons

Wow! I am pretty surprised I got young Jasper here and pretty happy. Mcmillan Pittard is a sneaky tall half back/ midfielder who is very quick and very agile. A great pair of hands and is one of those blokes who drifts back and cuts off leading forwards. Mcmillan-Pittard is proficient on both sides of the body however can be too ambitious with his decision making. Mcmillan-Pittard is also exceptionally brave and takes his turn everytime. I think this bloke will be a very exciting AFL talent and apparently his height test shows he has a bit more growing to do. He reminds me a little of Pat Dangerfield the way he runs off half back however he will need a few preseasons to build up his body. I suspect this cloke will go significantly higher come November 26th. I have raided the Geelong Falcons this year which is pretty interesting.

I was surprised a little by however blokes left who I really liked. I had Anthony Long who was next bloke in line for mine. A tallish dasher who has a heap of improvement. Max Gawn who I think is the best ruckman in the draft. Sam Reid who I think will be a really good key position prospect and James Craig who is just about the best athlete in the draft for mine.
I decided for best player with every pick as I think our list is still a fair way away and finals footy flattered us. I think all 4 blokes have the POTENTIAL to be A graders however realistically you would be ecstatic if 2 became A graders. I have drafted relatively small however I am satisfied with Hille, Laycock, Bellchambers, Ryder, Pears, Hooker, Fletcher, Daniher, Gumbleton, Neagle, Still and Bock as a rookie. We are also fortunate to have the best 15 year old key position prospect locked away as a future father/ son which I know is a huge call but I am pretty confident about that prediction.
I am looking forward to the rest of the draft and also the rookie draft where I still have a few decent players I think I can nab.
Lastly, I think Essendon did pretty well during this trading period as 4 of the first 33 picks should ensure some exciting talent comes to Windy Hill.
Good luck for the rest of the draft fpor the rest of you blokes I will be watching keenly.

I'm predicting another Tassie boy to go next. TFL is a real wrap for some of his local boys.

No mate - not just yet - I'm a big fan of Harwood but can't justify taking him here in front of this bloke, who fits one of our holes, and I'm surprised he hasn't gone already.

Richmond - #35 - Max Gawn / Sandringham / 206cm / 97kg

Missed most of the year due to injury, was selected to play for Vic Metro in the Champs but injury prevented him playing.

Gawn is absolutely HUGE - a 206 cm ruckman who taps the ball down well, is a decent user of the ball for someone of his size, and consistently moves into the right spots on the footy field. His contested marking is pretty good so he's not one who'll be easily shown up around the ground.

I like the potential - if he fills into his frame he'll be absolutely huge, and a Vickery/Gawn combo is enough to make most fans salivate.

As with most men of his size, Gawn will take time, and the injuries complicate matters a bit, but injury free and I have him a lot higher than #35. Fills a need the Tigers have, in that Vickery looks promising, Graham is okay as a second ruckman, and I don't see a huge amount of potential in Browne and well, Simmonds offers a stop gap option for next year only.

Ideally one of Graham and Browne come on to go with Gawn and you could be playing Vickery as a Ruckman who pinch hits up forward.

Other options: Jason Tutt - skilled user of the ball - really considered him. Josh Thomas - tough nut who makes smart decisions with the ball and can play inside and out. In Martin I think I've picked up one of his type already and put higher emphasis on a Ruckman and highly skilled users of the ball.
Mark Hutchings - Wins a lot of the ball - a good foil for a future midfield of Martin, Cotchin, Foley, Deledio, Tambling and Cousins.

Pick 36 - James Craig (195cm/91kg, North Adelaide)

I really wanted a midfielder at this pick but I see nothing I like in that department, so at the end of the day I have hedged my bets all ways (which normally never work) by going for Craig. It is hard to speculate on what position he would play at the next level; Currently plays ruck, but could be too small for that at the next level, maybe a KP at either end with reasonable skills and athletic nature (Endurance to go with the height) or might even be a tall utility flanker type. Freo supporters would like the work ethic that comes with Craig.

If I was freo's recruiter AND Luke Ball was in the ND AND was still here at this pick I would be reading his name out like there was no tomorrow.

Pick 37 – North Melbourne – Josh Thomas (Gold Coast) – 178cm/72kg

Too good to resist at this stage of the draft, and with North apparently one of the clubs most keen on him, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in the blue and white with one of our second round picks on the day.
Arguably the Gold Coasts best player in the TAC Cup this season, he averaged 20 disposals and almost a goal a game.

A modern midfielder, he is a dashing extractor, possessing pace, agility and neat skills. Listed at 72kg’s, he plays with a much bigger frame, and in race horse terminology looks like a really promising young 2 yr old.

He has the frame to put on a lot of muscle imo, he will never be a Mark Ruccuito, but possess the “Judd” lean athletic look, that will see him being a very powerful midfielder at only 80+ kgs.

He has excellent football smarts, reads the play well, and makes good decisions. He is built like a dashing wingman, but plays like a Judd, often breaks tackles in close, and likes to run the ball from contested situations.

Knocked back a contract from the new Gold Coast AFL side, as he didn’t want to miss out on a years development in the AFL system, this kid in hungry to play AFL football, and will go much higher on the day.

From my perspective it is a steal imo.

The additions of Cunnington, Bartlett and Thomas should significantly boulster any weaknesses in the North midfield.

Players like: Rhys Palmer

PICK 38- SYDNEY- Sam Reid (Murray Bushrangers)- 27/12/91- 192cm 84kg

Looking KPP at this stage of the draft and was very excited to find Sam Reid still available. A very young 1991 birth who has a massive upside and tested through the roof at the recent draft camp. Needs time to develop and never seems to dominate for any length of time but he just has some special qualities and an ability to play in most areas of the ground. His highlights reel on afl.com includes a game V Bendigo and his marking there was a sight for sore eyes. Long term I see him as a key defender.
I still have 2 players on my list I rated higher than Reid so hopefully 1 will sneak through to my next pick.

Its no secret that the Hawks have a few holes that must be addressed in this draft and preferably they are ready made players capable of "Rucking" or capable of "Smashing the footy outa big forwards hands."

This guy isnt a ready made replacement but he is an outstanding talent IMO that no way could be passed up here.

Josh DONALDSON
West Perth
195/87
:thumbsu::D

Six Word Summary – "Brilliant Athlete Who Has Football Skills"
X-Factor – Can Leap Small Buildings
AFL Like – Paddy Ryder
Kicking – Solid
Marking - Reliable

Speed - midfield speed, very good top end speed (Closing Speed for a Backman)
Agility - Up there with the best
Beep Test - average and will need to be worked on
3km Time Trial - again rather poor

Strengths - Leg speed, agility to match it with any Key Position player in the AFL, ok Jack Watts may not agree. Genuine size, enjoys the physicality of football. Can dodge around players and make them look stupid.

Outstanding game at the Champs - no real stand out game but fought it out in ruck well. Game against metro probably his best and it showed glipses of how good he could be in a key position

Weaknesses - not a big ball winner, endurance a factor and his development as a key position player has been hampered by playing in ruck so much.

AFL Position - CHB - closing speed, poise with the ball for a big man and can use the ball rather well for a Tall. Spending so much time in the Ruck instead of developing his KP backman skills is a double edged sword. What he has missed as a KP back he has gained some valuable clean hands work in the packs as a Ruckman. Have a look at the footage, he rarely fumbles and generally uses the footy very well in close.

My Rankings - Up there with the other key position players. Is as athletic as Talia without his endurance, may not be as powerful up forward as Butcher but he has a lot more strings to his bow, Carlisle well he can run the pants off of him.

Overall - He does not have the hype of a lot of the other KPP but he has all the tools to make it at AFL level, competes well, has closing speed if played as a defender. Yes he need some more development with his football smarts but his raw assets are as good as any key position player in this draft. Would like to bet a professional recruiter thinks the same and i dont expect him to be around anywhere near this pick. But i suppose time will tell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 40 Chris Luff 193cm 82kg's PEEL FOOTBALL CLUB

Probaly the smartest defender in the draft.

Chris reads the play incredibly well allowing him to always time his spoils nicely and position himself on the right side of a contest.
He also cut's the angles very well which normally takes defenders a long while to learn.
He is a attacking defender who runs of very well, and under tutelage of probaly this era's greatest fullback in M Scarlett, he will become a very good player.

With Taylor and Drum will form a very good backline for years to come.

Pick 41 - North Melbourne - Kyle Hartigan (Western Jets) - 194cm/89kg

Again, another one who I think is underrated on this forum, will go around the early 30’s imo.
Too good to let slip at this pick.
Kyle is a nicely sized, athletic key backman, he is able to play Fullback and CHB, and has also been swung forward at times, most notably at times for Vic Metro in the championships.

Captain of the Western Jets and an AIS graduate, he has had an injury interrupted season, which he entered as one of the top tall prospects for the year.
He is an excellent contested mark, and a smart user of his body, meaning he is usually very good in one-on-one situations, both forward and back.
A silky smooth mover, he likes to run off opponents and set the play up from the back half, and displays a good all round skill set for a guy nudging 6”5.
He has elite endurance for a big guy, demonstrated by a 14.5 beep test at the Victorian state screening.

For North Melbourne’s purposes I’d be drafting him with the view of developing him as a fast, endurance based CHF, as he is a similar player to Ryan Shoenmakers (prior to his conversion to the backline) at Hawthorn.

Really considered Hutchings at this pick, but having already taken 3 midfielders, two of those hard extractors, I found picking a developing forward/back was a good option.

Players like: Joel Bowden/Ryan Shoenmakers.

Pick 42 Roland Ah Chee (NT)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 21/11/90
Recruited from: Norwood

Pick 43 - Carlton - Ayden Kennedy (Eastern Ranges/Vic M) - 192.2cm - 81.4kg - 30/10/91

To some this is no surprise i've select him here, real fan of his. Wasn't a real tough decision, always had him in mind from the start of the draft, if he was available here i'd take him. He is my highest rank player at this point, there were a few just a little below him like Roberton, Scott, Winmar and Dyson but i couldn't see them adding more to the Blues than what Kennedy could to justify passing on his talent.

Ayden is an exciting prospect that has only been in the TAC Cup system for a year unlike most of the draftees. He is a player that has the ability to player all over the park and adapt accordingly. He is very athletic for someone his height, 67cm standing jump, 78cm right run jump, one of the top tested in both categories. 2.88 for the 20m, 8.12 for agility again ranked him among the best at the camp. Standing at 192cm, he has a great starting point for an AFL career. One of the major things that attracts me to him is that not only is he an athlete standing at 192cm but his kicking skills are superb. He has come on very well from the start of the year with regards to his kicking, was a little shakey early on but seemed to have more confidence and became damaging towards the end of the year. Either foot, over most distances he'll find a target. As i said, he can really play him anywhere. Early on he played out of the goal square and across half forward (has kicked 2 bags of 4 and 3 bags of 3), with speed off the mark and his leap he could become a nightmare match-up. He pushed back near the end of the year, playing CHB or the 3rd man floating across and adapted pretty well. Ability to set play up while keeping players fairly quiet was impressive. He is aggressive, shows clean hands both above his head and below his knees and his set shots are classy. Solid in one-on-one contests, has the ability to get a fist on the footy and up forward can take a contested mark, not afraid to come over and hit packs hard.

I don't think anyone can question his talent, it is probably his output that doesn't see him press for higher claims in the draft. He's stepped up in a couple of games but really hasn't put in 4 quarter performances. This may be down to two things, his fitness base, which like most draftees needs to improve or/and his somewhat late entrance into the system. Don't see it having anything to do with attitude because he has seemingly progressed very well over the year and he puts in 2nd and 3rd efforts fairly regularly. He's probably still got a few things to learn whilst playing forward, when to lead, when to fly etc.

Going forward it is tough to say where he could be best utilized. Just turned 18, may be a few more cm in him and he'd be able to play at CHB or CHF, though at this stage, more than likely as a floating/attacking defender, on the wing, across half forward or out of the square. Considering the draft is somewhat shallow, i've got absolutely no hesitation in selecting him here because if he and a club puts it's all together he'll be a player. Talent i can't pass up at this point.

Richmond - Pick 44 - Joel Houghton / Perth / 196 / 80

Well RATD will be happy. It was a very tough decision, in that there's still three players I really really like on the board, but couldn't overlook Houghton and I consider him to be the most unlikely of the four to still be on the board by my next pick. Houghton played in the Champs for WA as a CHF, averaging 2 goals a game. He's a smooth mover, is a nice height and tested really well athletically at screening. I think he's best with ball in hands in front of the sticks.

I really like him in that he's an athletic CHF who works hard and when he gets the ball, he finishes it off.

He needs to bulk up, and improve his marking, as he doesn't have the ultra-sticky mits elite forwards do, but I really like Houghton.

In Houghton and Griffiths, we've got a Power forward, and an athletic CHF with a nice finish in front of the sticks. Sets us up very well for the future.

Okay I have been told the next couple of picks are going:

As quigs says I take Wanganeen so to make it easy on the eye:

Pick #45 Adelaide - Dereck Wanganeen (Port Magpies) 172cm 68kg

I've gone for a all-round midfielder with the first round, a half-back cum-midfielder who can kick goals with the 2nd rounder and was basing my third rounder on immediate needs and those needs are a small, quick and elusive crumbing forward. All good teams have one, Geelong have Varcoe (prob not your classic SMALL crumber), Saints have Milne, Hawks have Rioli etc etc. The crows have a few little fellas but I honestly do not rate them enough. Jacky is not up to it, and I would prefer Petrenko running out of defence in the long-term. So with Wanganeen available, I had to snare him.

He is very small, some might deem him too small for AFL football and perhaps he is right at the moment. However with another 4-5kg he would certainly be strong enough to carry out his dirty work around the feet of the bigger forwards. He is very quick and elusive, in the mould of a young Aaron Davey. He also works well into the midfield to gain possessions up the ground and improve the all-round speed of the team. His ability to gather and snap is amazing, very quick at finding the goals and a quick thinker. He does make some 'too-quick' decisions which can result in errors but most of his type do that. He also has pretty good defensive pressure and has impressive sideways agility to harass and keep the ball in the forward line.

I think in the long-run he will turn into a very good small forward, capable of kicking quick goals to turn matches, something the crows need badly, Porps cannot do it forever.

Pick 46 Hawthorn

Mark HUTCHINGS
East Perth
181/81

Six Word Summary – "MY TEAM COMES FIRST NOT ME"
X-Factor – Sneaks away
AFL Like – Cassisi
Kicking – Accurate but lacks a bit of penetration
Marking - Solid

Speed – Lacks a bursting first step but outside of that he is okay
Agility - Up there with the best
Beep Test – Very good
3km Time Trial – Very good

Strengths – Work rate, team orientated football in the midfield. He will not rack up the numbers to catch your eye but he is likely to hurt you with his 20 touches as they will be won in important parts of the game. Can sneak forward of the play to be a goal kicker. Very strong inside and clears space for team mates. Hardness at the football and the man, lets face it how many player are really hard these days and this kid is. I realise that the game has changed and changed heaps, but im still a sucker for the Hutchings style footballer.

Outstanding game at the Champs – Mr consistency but his first half against country when the chips were down showed why he is so important and will see him drafted this year.

Weaknesses – Lacks pure leg speed and wont be hitting long raking targets over 50+ meters. He wont drag people through the gates to watch his talent but he will be highly rated by the club he plays for.

AFL Position – Tagging midfielder but he will win enough ball to still be an offensive weapon for his own team. He wont have to sacrifice his game to tag, has the endurance to keep up with the best of them and tough enough inside that they wont get the space to explode away from him.

My Rankings – I love the tough old fashioned footballers with skill, sits just outside the group of elite midfielders that make up the top 20.

Overall – A footballer, at this pick that is as good as you can hope for. As much as we want leg speed and this guy doesn’t have it he does bring some toughness to the next generation of midfield. In this draft to get a kid of Hutchings talent in the mid forties I would be over the moon with.

Harwood is hard to resist here but I am going for a guy who addresses an immediate need and can come in and play right away. I think he is every chance to go in the second round on draft day.

Pick 47 Brisbane

Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco, WA)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 30/08/88

Dennis-Lane is a guy who has been on teams’ radars for a couple of years and has flashed real talent before but he finally got it all together this year on a consistent basis. He finished second in the WAFL in goal kicking this year with 67 playing out of the forward pocket. He looks like a player who has worked hard to get the best out of himself and I think someone will give him a shot this year. He looks very much like the type of small forward that many teams are looking for. He has top shelf pace that he uses effectively both ways. He is not a great tackler at the moment but he does work very hard defensively and he applies a lot of pressure on opposition players in his area. On the lead he gets good separation and his hands are solid and he reads the ball in flight well to arrive at the drop to his best advantage. Importantly for AFL purposes he is also a good crumber who is very clever when the ball hits the ground. When he gets the ball he is very elusive and is difficult to get his hands on. He has a tendency to go to ground a bit but he recovers exceptionally quickly. He will go to ground one second and be up chasing the next. The thing with him as well is that he can go straight in and play next year as a mature aged recruit. He is not very heavy but he is used to playing against men. He was not invited to Camp but set the WA State Screening on fire. He managed a 2.88 in the 20m, 14.6 in the beep and 93cm off one foot (this was significantly higher than was done by anyone at Camp). A fantastic result by any standard. I really like this guy and think he should be snapped up earlier than most expect. I note that he has been given permission to train with Freo. I am not sure what this says or what affect it will have on his draft credentials. I know that he suits Brisbane’s needs down to the ground and if we reached for him in the second round I would have no trouble with it and think we did pretty well.

Pick 48 - Ryan Harwood (184cm / 79kg Tasmania)
Midfielder with reasonable skills, height and endurance; most likely a depth player at the next level.

Pick 49 - Nicholas Winmar (190cm / 78kg, Claremont)
X factor HFF with speed and skill but needs significant work in improving his endurance. A definite project player.

I really, really hope you die Ysaye - I'm more than spitting chips - I thought he'd fall through to 50 - or at least Hutchings would.

Now I go to the third midfielder I was tossing up when taking pick 44:

Richmond - Pick #50 - Jason Tutt / NSW / 176cm / 72kg

Small defender/midfielder with exquisite footskills, who represented NSW/ACT at the Champs and tested at the DC. Looks really unfased with and without the ball for someone of his stature, and is smart and strong around the contest.

Averaged 80% + disposal efficiency at the Champs playing off a flank, and that's in the elite category. Needs to bulk up, but could be a really effective HBF'er/back pocket with breath-taking skills. Is a real link player as well, works really hard to make it to each and every contest after disposing the ball.

Is a really strong tackler - I'd worry about him in one on one contests until he's bulked up mind you.

The thing that wins me over, his work ethic and rate and his beatuiful disposal.

I really, really hope you die Ysaye - I'm more than spitting chips - I thought he'd fall through to 50 - or at least Hutchings would.

Now I go to the third midfielder I was tossing up when taking pick 44:

Richmond - Pick #50 - Jason Tutt / NSW / 176cm / 72kg

Small defender/midfielder with exquisite footskills, who represented NSW/ACT at the Champs and tested at the DC. Looks really unfased with and without the ball for someone of his stature, and is smart and strong around the contest.

Averaged 80% + disposal efficiency at the Champs playing off a flank, and that's in the elite category. Needs to bulk up, but could be a really effective HBF'er/back pocket with breath-taking skills. Is a real link player as well, works really hard to make it to each and every contest after disposing the ball.

Is a really strong tackler - I'd worry about him in one on one contests until he's bulked up mind you.

The thing that wins me over, his work ethic and rate and his beatuiful disposal.

Sorry TFLUA. Blame Quigley - he took Dennis-Lane who was one of the picks that I had lined up and that more than likely caused a chain reaction! (Except that I had two picks so I really have no excuses :p).

Talking about dying, I think I have done more than my dash in this draft so:

Pick 51: Pass

Which would leave us with a pick in the pre-season draft.

Pick 52: Joe Dare.

Write up to follow.

PICK 53- SYDNEY- David Mirra (Eastern Ranges)- 20/03/91- 185cm,77kg

I was determined to go for a roughie with this pick and have chosen Mirra. I'm very surprised that a number of the guys I rate are still here. For what it's worth Dylan Grimes would have been my pick otherwise.

I see Mirra as being a very handy type off half back down the track where he can use his pace and his excellent kicking skills to set up attacks off half back. Mirra has the potential to play through the midfield down the track and is a good size and clean with the footy.

I'm amazed these guys are still to be taken- David Astbury, Johnny Rayner, Tom Hill and Simon Potts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back