AE 2010 - AE Brainstorm Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AE10: Dawn Of A New Campaign: Brainstorm Thread

Well I will be back to defend my title.

As far as suggestions go, the Featured Games didnt really do anything for me. Not the idea, but just the format. Found myself not really taking too much notice of who and what I tipped in it, and just think the concept of tipping a game total within a 7 point bracket is just too much of a crap shoot.

So as far as ideas go, I would like to see some sort of pre-season predictions comp where we make predictions about the up coming season, like maybe division winners, conference winners and eventual super bowl champs and we score points for the ones we get right, and once the season starts theyre locked and we all live and die by it. Could be fun.

Another idea for a preseason predictions comp, is that prior to the start of the season, we all rank the teams in order from the team we think will win the most games down to the least, and when each team wins a game during the season, we get the points of the position we ranked them in. So for example if I pick the Giants to win the most games that season, that gives them a value of 32 points for each win they get during the season, much like the weekly confidence tipping scoring.

And on the subject of a Featured Games comp, maybe make it 4 games a week where we have to tip against the betting spread and the Over/Under for each of the 4 games. If you get either the spread or the over/under right you get a point. Get both right you get 3 points. Something like that.

Anyway, looking forward to the season.

I like the idea of the predictions comp.

That would be a definite goer imo. As in, ANOTHER addition to our list of comps.

But i do like the Featured Games. It's a solid format imo, and it succeeds in what it was designed to do----ensure those who are well behind in the main comp to still have things to play for and not just pack it in and stop trying (which ruined the Next Duel comp). You didnt see the comp the year before CH.

Im back
will join everything as far as AE is concerned
shoot me a pm when you need me to pay with account details of where to deposit the cash (the sooner the better, because I want to avoid Woodson's advertising)

Oh, and on the issue of the cap, maybe we should have different levels of participation?

What I mean is having :

AE General - enter the confidence and 3XKO comps only

AE Premium - enter all comps (this can be capped)

Adjust entry fees and prize money splits accordingly.

This way we can keep the competition open to as many people as possible.

I love this idea - mainly because I can do AE General and not be afraid whether my participation heavily impacts someone else.

I like the idea of the predictions comp.

That would be a definite goer imo. As in, ANOTHER addition to our list of comps.

But i do like the Featured Games. It's a solid format imo, and it succeeds in what it was designed to do----ensure those who are well behind in the main comp to still have things to play for and not just pack it in and stop trying (which ruined the Next Duel comp). You didnt see the comp the year before CH.

Oh youve got me wrong GG. Im all for the Featured Games comp, the more comps to keep everyone interested deep into the season, all the better in my opinion.

My problem with the Featured Games was just the format of last season, just picking the winners of the 4 games and the Points Total within the bracket.

Im all for keeping the Featured Games comp, but was thinking a different format, like the one I proposed in my post above might be a little more fun.

CH...

I personally dont think overs/unders and against the line are very robust or variable enough for FG. Im pretty sure we discussed the various types of FG formats when conceiving the idea, including o/u and line, and we went with something that would be harder to get right, and that had more variety in terms of pts people could collect in order to ensure at the end of the month, there wouldnt be a log-jam of people on the same pts.

Dont take that as me pissing on your suggestion. Ultimately, it's all up to the community vote and woodson.

I'll be back to defend my knockout title. :thumbsu:

AE09_3XKO_award_Redragger.jpg

2008 retrospect 2007 Retrospect

I just had a thought. How about a small pool each week for a perfect score? The thing jackpots each week until someone knocks it off. I know its hard to do but I believe it happened a couple of times last year. Just another option...

Quite the challenge indeed Redragger. I'll add this idea as an option and also see how we go with numbers as well/ breakdown of % of pool to allow for a 'pocketful of coin' perhaps push it as a 'fifth prize' perhaps.

Well I will be back to defend my title.

AEChamp09.jpg

....So as far as ideas go, I would like to see some sort of pre-season predictions comp where we make predictions about the up coming season, like maybe division winners, conference winners and eventual super bowl champs and we score points for the ones we get right, and once the season starts theyre locked and we all live and die by it. Could be fun.

I was thinking about that the other day actually... back in the day, when AE was 'hardcopy format' .. I actually used pre-season predictions as a bonus points to the whole scoring format. We can perhaps use that as ONE quarter of the FG split ($90-$100 prize) but I'll definitely include your idea as a Poll option.. we can then sort it out IF the Vote for your pre-season play-off predictions gets accredited by the AE jury. :)

Another idea for a preseason predictions comp, is that prior to the start of the season, we all rank the teams in order from the team we think will win the most games down to the least, and when each team wins a game during the season, we get the points of the position we ranked them in. So for example if I pick the Giants to win the most games that season, that gives them a value of 32 points for each win they get during the season, much like the weekly confidence tipping scoring.

I recall this idea getting mentioned last season. I recall that 'counting the numbers' for everyone's picks will be a HEAVY process for my assistants..
I can add this in... just alot of calculations is the real bother. ;)

And on the subject of a Featured Games comp, maybe make it 4 games a week where we have to tip against the betting spread and the Over/Under for each of the 4 games. If you get either the spread or the over/under right you get a point. Get both right you get 3 points. Something like that.

Anyway, looking forward to the season.

GG answered this one beautifully. Remember that JD is 'all alone' on getting
everyone's detail from virtually a cast of 'thousands' with 'his PUSH' for letting it go to 'the kick-off' will just make it a frantic 'INFORMATION OVERLOAD' then.. urgh!!

What needs to be presented without ANY controversy biting us back is a 'leeway' to get the AE Summary out before the first game is finished..

I know that it's a damning thing to realise player X didn't play.. happens every week, every SEASON that players are going to be GAME TIME decisions by the clubs so really, whether you 'go with your hunch or just BITE the bullet' is just what it needs to be. Not different to Fantasy Football. You have them as starters and then they pull out. Just bad luck really.

I mean, if we decide that ONE change be permitted each.. after the initial RELEASE of the weekly selections (in the OPEN), it will just BUILD up alot of work for JD to cover everyone's request. And if he can't get it adjusted correctly, there is going to be some controversy happening. That's what I dislike about 'windows of compromise' when there is big cast of entries.

I'm sure we may work something out tho' with JD getting the adjustments ready.. which will be need to be FOOLPROOF. I'm thinking along the lines that these adjustments can be regarding ONLY... Sunday Night Football CR & Monday Night Football.. Otherwise it just gets MESSY and complicated/ confusing.

We'll have to discuss it abit further tho'. I'm flexible but at the same time very apprehensive of communication breakdowns that will create some controversy. :( :thumbsdown: Flipside being that it can 'shape a result' for the NEXT DUEL.

Get people to pick the over under for every game as well, then do some covoluted comparison to Feature Games (ie who out of those who had 15 out of 15 games correct also picked the most correct margins) or some crap like that

You will grow out of that scene Wiz!!

Much better staying home pulling up stumps having a few quite Ales with mates and firing up the Weber!! :D

Certainly up for that a few times this season mate.

2 different ideas.

1 ) Just throwing this one up for discussion. It may be way too hard to co-ordinate but i'd love some tipping related to players, a bit like some betting sites. E.g a group of 6 QBs and you pick which one will throw for most yards or most TDs. 6 RBs and which one will run for most yards.
You could have 2 groups of 6 RBs for example. Not too big otherwise will be too cumbersome.

You could pick your top 3
e.g 1. AP 2. CJ 3. LT - if AP has most yds you get 6 pts for picking winner. If CJ wins you get 3 pts etc etc.

OR (this idea I really like)

2) Another comp where you need to pick the 3-4 blowouts of the week or the 3-4 closest games of the week. You could even have different categories week to week

e.g WK 1 - 4 biggest blowouts
WK2 - closest games
WK3 - lowest scoring games on aggregate
WK4 - highest
WK5 - most total yards in a game
WK 6 - most TDs
WK 7 - most turnovers etc etc

i think theyre good ideas TGBB
but i think there's too much bean counting involved, especially as JD has to code it all and look last year how difficult it was to get the site going and features right without bugs etc.
want to avoid any manual spreadsheet keeping too---like how we still had to do last year with FG and ND ladders etc.

ideally, the best idea is to ensure the comps we had last year are all automated this year, including the FG format as is (in bean counting terms).

making sure the site is robust and automated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think theyre good ideas TGBB
but i think there's too much bean counting involved, especially as JD has to code it all and look last year how difficult it was to get the site going and features right without bugs etc.
Hopefully that won't be a problem this year because of the changes I've made.

This year I want to spend June making sure it's all smoking. We'll run plenty of beta tests this year.

The issue with player based comps is the data involved. Someone find me a decent xml feed with game stats and I'm more than happy to look at it. If you can't automate that data collection you're pushing s**t up hill with anything like that. Too many errors and too much work to enter them manually.

Hopefully that won't be a problem this year because of the changes I've made.

This year I want to spend June making sure it's all smoking. We'll run plenty of beta tests this year.

The issue with player based comps is the data involved. Someone find me a decent xml feed with game stats and I'm more than happy to look at it. If you can't automate that data collection you're pushing s**t up hill with anything like that. Too many errors and too much work to enter them manually.

Fair enough re player based JD. What about my second idea. Just a bit different and more variety to the FG comp. Shouldn't be too hard selecting 4 games each week.

Haven't thought too much about it Barry but on the surface it looks a way to spice up the feature games.

Since it would only be team selections, rather than collect the data for things like TD's & yards, we'd only need to capture the four winning teams.

Very doable.

Fair enough re player based JD. What about my second idea. Just a bit different and more variety to the FG comp. Shouldn't be too hard selecting 4 games each week.

Keeping it simplified is why I really like your idea TGBB. Of course, much of the AE jury have to approve of your 'Best Team Output' concept. I'm thinking of pushing the pre-season predictions as a fifth prize or perhaps taking away the 4th place prize-money of the AE overall, (Confidence rating comp). Just waiting to see what the AE jury has to say about the fourth comp later (via poll) this month.

Woodson, how many comps are you looking at for this year? Realistically how many of these ideas would we see in the AE?

1. Confidence Rating 2. Next Duel 3. 3XKO LOCKS!

4. AE jury to determine (via poll)
5. Pre-season play-off prediction (AE jury to give 60% nod)

With the team power ratings (primarily to avoid ND no-shows) that we'll definitely have this season should be a free range option instead of locking it up to 2-3 week blocks as you pointed out. Why? The NFL can be a fickle form comp at the best of times that will make anyone re-consider their picks after just one result so allowing flexibility to swing the moves will avoid the 'restriction' of waiting for that second/third week... injuries/match ups also make people think twice.

I just see the idea of having the freedom to re-jig your Team Power Ratings weekly as a 'easier way' to go about picking your 16-1 confidence rating for those always in a conundrum about which team to have most confidence in. I assure you this will make it much easier to determine a winner.

Im back
will join everything as far as AE is concerned
shoot me a pm when you need me to pay with account details of where to deposit the cash (the sooner the better, because I want to avoid Woodson's advertising)

I don't think I'll need to advertise much this season. I've gotten 24 confirmed participants listed already with perhaps a bunch more to come (as they're still in AFL mode atm) so really, what I'll be doing is giving all the AE09 members a period (July 18th) to re-confirm their interest and thereafter allow NEW tenders a window of opportunity to get involved meaning that any unconfirmed AE09 members will be scrambling to make the final cut... depending on how numbers come on by then, I think having the CAP determined then & there is the best way to go about it. If an overwelming rush occurs : say 70-80 want in by 25th of July, so be it. I'll LOCK it at 80 MAX. If we have 64/65 by July 18th.. I'll be most likely be closing the AE10 application window and get the subscriptions formalities out of the way asap.

With the alignment of the NEXT DUEL comp divisions, I'd prefer to keep it same as last season but obviously there will be likely some adjustments. I invite any requests / suggestions before I
get working on the ND schedule. I realise GG wants divisional foes to face up twice which is something I can consider... that also means, breaking down the divisions to a smaller number (ie: instead of 6's & 8's... make it a 5 team division)

But keep in mind that I want to keep the rivalry going of balancing the ND schedule to the NFL schedule as close as possible. So the ongoing divisional foes for the ND divisions can stay within the same parameters. (ie: Vikings fans going head to head with Packer fans when they play each other in the NFL ect..)

Absolutely I'm in.
Happy to leave things as they are but I reckon TGBBs 2nd comp would be a great addition.
From memory some of the scoring got a little confusing around play off time - don't know if it needs to or can be made simpler but if not I'm happy to trust Woody and the auditors.

I'm interested in joining if there's room in the cap. Would love to see how my knowledge of the game (or lack thereof) compares.

I'm interested in joining if there's room in the cap. Would love to see how my knowledge of the game (or lack thereof) compares.

I'm quite sure we can accommodate your request von_wafer as you're only one of a few who pledged your interest previously. To determine which of the AE09 members return (have 27 confirmed atm) is more to do with NEXT DUEL comp division structuring. As you'll be the sole Lions fan (so far), no guesses who (opponents) awaits you... but it won't be Balmainforever (Knowledgeable Packers fan)... that's like throwing bambi to the wolves. We have other Packer fans to serve you. Sven won't be your Viking opponent either as he's a AE HEAVYWEIGHT. Instead I'll continue to give/look after rookies & struggling vets who have found the tough going in their first two campaigns an even break.

So when it comes down to it, it's how the remaining 35 respond by the mid-July 'first dibs' deadline before the newbies get the red carpet call in. Even if each & everyone of the 35 return, I think 80 will be the MAX CAP number and without the need to do much (if any!!) AE promo advertising.. I expect that we'll be around that 60-70 members ballpark figure.

Nobody (so far) is pushing for an increase of the $30 subscription and even if a few do, it'll be a poll from the AE consensus if min 30% support the idea. Otherwise no poll will be required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back