Opinion 2011 Revisited - Did we get found out? ... and other musings

Remove this Banner Ad

DrDavoren

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep it's the new trend but as I have said earlier it will be the trend until a team comes out with bruisers and wears these sides down physically trimming up is ok as long as you still focus on good muscle density like Adams and Freeman have.

The game was changing every 2-3 years but now it seems each season brings new systems and gameplans, thinks we got caught out when MM didn't adapt when we were figured out.

And it has lead to what has happened, just hope Bucks can get us up to speed and develop our new group.

It does make you miss the 80's game style though.

And the rules in place now won't allow for the brutes to take control of the athletes unless they change rotations and relax some rules.

The game was changing every 2-3 years but now it seems each season brings new systems and gameplans, thinks we got caught out when MM didn't adapt when we were figured out.

And it has lead to what has happened, just hope Bucks can get us up to speed and develop our new group.

It does make you miss the 80's game style though.

And the rules in place now won't allow for the brutes to take control of the athletes unless they change rotations and relax some rules.

Bit of anti MM revisionism here. We didn't get figured out until round 22 2011. In the Grand Final, we went with a different game plan. He wasn't coaching the following year.

Bit of anti MM revisionism here. We didn't get figured out until round 22 2011. In the Grand Final, we went with a different game plan. He wasn't coaching the following year.
Let it go. It's how we cope.
Much like how Shaw was the greatest half back in the comp before we traded him out as a ruinous distraction who gave away more frees than Brodie Grundy.

Let it go. It's how we cope.
Much like how Shaw was the greatest half back in the comp before we traded him out as a ruinous distraction who gave away more frees than Brodie Grundy.

I wish both sides would let it go. It is now ancient history. What matters is what is happening going forward. Not what happened years ago.

I wish both sides would let it go. It is now ancient history. What matters is what is happening going forward. Not what happened years ago.

I think what happens is people put in the slight digs at the previous coach and others feel they hav to defend.
Fact is that 10 year period was our most succesful period for over 50 years. I know there was only one premiership as sad as that it is.

No, Geelong had figured us out by round 8 2011. Even though it was a close contest they had eight more scoring shots and dominated forward entries. Hawthorn were also working on a superior game plan which was almost effective in the Prelim. We were still better than every other side.

In 2010 we had a game plan to defeat Geelong's run out of defence and it worked perfectly. In 2011, Geelong had a game plan to defeat our press. It worked so well that we had to go man on man in the GF. However, we weren't good enough (although key injuries didn't help)

Collingwood's premiership window was from 2010-2012. We won one and came close to a second. If you look at the lists of the top sides during those years, there is not one year where I would place Collingwood's list at the top.
2010 - Geelong then Collingwood
2011 - Geelong then Collingwood (Hawthorn close)
2012 - Hawthorn (despite not winning the flag)

No, Geelong had figured us out by round 8 2011. Even though it was a close contest they had eight more scoring shots and dominated forward entries. Hawthorn were also working on a superior game plan which was almost effective in the Prelim. We were still better than every other side.

In 2010 we had a game plan to defeat Geelong's run out of defence and it worked perfectly. In 2011, Geelong had a game plan to defeat our press. It worked so well that we had to go man on man in the GF. However, we weren't good enough (although key injuries didn't help)

Collingwood's premiership window was from 2010-2012. We won one and came close to a second. If you look at the lists of the top sides during those years, there is not one year where I would place Collingwood's list at the top.
2010 - Geelong then Collingwood
2011 - Geelong then Collingwood (Hawthorn close)
2012 - Hawthorn (despite not winning the flag)

Massive monent in that 2011 GF, swan took a clear mark in the back pocket but wasnt paid. Become a bounce down in which jolly tapped over the line on the full. Resulting free kick was taken by bartel in which he slotted from the boundry line .
We were 24 points up before that, from that moment geelong got belief and then it was an arm wrestle for next qtr and half and eventually we ran out of legs .

Massive monent in that 2011 GF, swan took a clear mark in the back pocket but wasnt paid. Become a bounce down in which jolly tapped over the line on the full. Resulting free kick was taken by bartel in which he slotted from the boundry line .
We were 24 points up before that, from that moment geelong got belief and then it was an arm wrestle for next qtr and half and eventually we ran out of legs .
Yeah, I remember that free and the resulting goal (can't remember the Swan mark). We really needed to be 4-5 goals up at half time, which we should have been. This is what I remember ruing at half time. We were playing well, except that last 10 mins Geelong got back in touch and regained the momentum. Left the game when Ling kicked a goal late in the last to put the game out of reach. Haven't watched it since and don't plan on doing so in the future.

Apologies for going off topic.

Yeah, I remember that free and the resulting goal (can't remember the Swan mark). We really needed to be 4-5 goals up at half time, which we should have been. This is what I remember ruing at half time. We were playing well, except that last 10 mins Geelong got back in touch and regained the momentum. Left the game when Ling kicked a goal late in the last to put the game out of reach. Haven't watched it since and don't plan on doing so in the future.

Apologies for going off topic.
The real turning point, IMO, was Christianson marking when he was 1 against 2 on the southern stand wing which resulted in a goal. That was my recollection, anyway, from the nose bleeds behind the goal at the Punt Rd end.

The real turning point, IMO, was Christianson marking when he was 1 against 2 on the southern stand wing which resulted in a goal. That was my recollection, anyway, from the nose bleeds behind the goal at the Punt Rd end.

That was after the bartel goal, by then they had a real sniff. That christianson mark and resulting goal just lifted them even more.

I totally agree. I remember thinking that this was a big turning point in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to gary pert before the 2010 season mick was asked how our midfielders could beat geelongs. The answer was they couldn't, unless our boys could play the fourth quarter as fresh as the first. Thus the implementation of the heavy heavy rotations. Once he rotation advantage was worked out and sub rule brought in it brought us 2-3 % back to the pack and that was all geelong needed to beat us given they were the premier side during the period.

When jpod went down, the game turned. I always wonder if the result would have been different if we sent Reid forward ala the Carlton game when he kicked a quick few goals.

MM had no Plan B and was Outcoached that day by Chris Scott.

Last edited:
MM had no Plan B and was Outcoached that day by Chris Scott.

we limped into that grand final with injuries to key personal, and after having played 2 epic finals against WC and hawthorn.
key moments in that game didnt go our way through either bad umpiring, bad mistakes, one clear bad match up and just plain brilliant play from geelong. remember we were 24 points up in that game with about 5 mins to go before halftime

bad umpiring- not paying a clear mark to swan in the back pocket, umpire then bounced ball which jolly hit over the line on the full resulting in a free to bartel in which he kicked a goal from. that started the rot

bad mistakes- tarrant not taking the ball over the line on the half back flank [ maybe worried about deliberate] cats kept it alive and goaled

bad match up-taz had to go to hawkins, 5mins into last qtr. reid had no power in his legs [still doesnt]

brilliant play cats- starting from bartel nailing that goal from boundry line, christianson's outmarking 2 players creating a goal, hawkins on fire last qtr and a half. lings job on swan

bad umpiring- not paying a clear mark to swan in the back pocket, umpire then bounced ball which jolly hit over the line on the full resulting in a free to bartel in which he kicked a goal from. that started the rot

That happens in nearly every game we play in

bad mistakes- tarrant not taking the ball over the line on the half back flank [ maybe worried about deliberate] cats kept it alive and goaled

That was Idiotic Coaching by Mick

brilliant play cats- starting from bartel nailing that goal from boundry line, christianson's outmarking 2 players creating a goal, hawkins on fire last qtr and a half. lings job on swan
So Cats wanted it more and we where scared of Losing the game for Mick?

That happens in nearly every game we play in

That was Idiotic Coaching by Mick

So Cats wanted it more and we where scared of Losing the game for Mick?

Bad umpiring usually happens both ways during a game, afterall wellingham was awarded a goal in the 3rd qtr when it hit the postt.
Momentum is a funny thing in football, and ours was broken with the mark to swan not being payed, then bartel goal. We had the foot on their throat and our monentum was broken, they kicked 3-4 goals just before halftime and the game had changed.
Was an arm wrestle for most of the 3rd qtr until they kicked a few goals late in it. Was clear we ran out of legs from that moment. Injuries and a hard finals series took its toll

Bad umpiring usually happens both ways during a game, afterall wellingham was awarded a goal in the 3rd qtr when it hit the postt.
Momentum is a funny thing in football, and ours was broken with the mark to swan not being payed, then bartel goal. We had the foot on their throat and our monentum was broken, they kicked 3-4 goals just before halftime and the game had changed.
Was an arm wrestle for most of the 3rd qtr until they kicked a few goals late in it. Was clear we ran out of legs from that moment. Injuries and a hard finals series took its toll

Okay does go both ways but the worst Umpiring Descions as you said can Destroy a Team Built Up Momentum

Most of the above factors mentioned are relevant but our game plan was starting to be worked out late in 2011. Elite kicking teams like Hawthorn and Geelong were starting to work their way through our forward pressure with quick precision kicking off half back. Once they got the ball past the wing they virtually had an open goal to kick to. More teams figured it out in 2013 and we started becoming very easy to score against. We still made the finals because there was still alot of teams who's kicking skills were not good enough to penetrate our forward defense. I actually think we got better at stopping easy goals against us in 2014 but we have become so bad the other way that we could not score enough ourselves.

If Reid was fully fit we would have won the grandfinal. If all of Reid, Jolly, Beams, Dick and Didak were fully fit oh boy...

and Also a Fit Jolly would of Helped a Bloody Lot

If Reid was fully fit we would have won the grandfinal. If all of Reid, Jolly, Beams, Dick and Didak were fully fit oh boy...
You can't do much about players getting injuries but selection is another matter entirely. How about if we just didn't play unfit players like MM always said he did. Could well have cost us 2 flags (2002 and 2011).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back