NRL 2012 NRL Grand Final: Melbourne Storm v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I really enjoyed the game, with games like League,Union, American footy, I love it when defence dominates. I think it makes for more of an honest game. I think had Smith converted all those attempts, the scoreline wouldn't have been a fair reflection of Canterbury's effort on defence.
Agree, I seem to really enjoy the low scoring league games for some reason.

Was anyone in Canterbury Sunday night? Just saw footage on foxsports news and bulldogs fans dancing and burning Melbourne Storm gear. Anyone who saw or was there mind explaining the incident, looked like some very anti social behaviour.

Couldn't resist this lol...suck it up!
I was going to be upset at the result either way.

Hopefully Broncos can win the big one next year.

Just got back from Sydney for the game. Most disgraceful display of refereeing I have ever seen. The referees may as well have been wearing Storm jerseys as they were certainly on their side all night. A shame to have the last game of the year decided like that but oh well.

Just got back from Sydney for the game. Most disgraceful display of refereeing I have ever seen. The referees may as well have been wearing Storm jerseys as they were certainly on their side all night. A shame to have the last game of the year decided like that but oh well.

Oh. And I thought the nine commentators were just being biased. Maybe they WERE right and the bulldogs were robbed?

Travelled up for the game after buying optimistic tickets months ago.
I attend about half of the Storm home games so by no means am I a die hard but I get behind just about any sport.
First time attending an interstate league game and lets just say AFL crowds are like a congregation of intellectual diplomats in comparison to what are apparently classed as 'humans' up that way.

I've always said that Storm games are great for the kids because of the good family atmosphere (fireworks, music, dancing girls, mascots etc etc) but Storm v Dogs in Sydney. I'd feel safer putting my kids on a plane to Afghanistan.

I don't know whether a thugs game just attracts thugs or whether a simple game attracts simple people. Heaven forbid anyone even try and have some jovial conversation back and forth about the teams. Surrounded by Dogs fans, a few Storm supporters who were celebrating when they scored were constantly abused, had stuff thrown at them and it came from both genders. No doubt Robbo has told Shazza how best to behave like an antisocial bigot in between producing 14 children. Oh lets not forget some giant in the crowd making 'come at me bro' gestures to some mob of Storm supporters, complete with 3 year old kid on his shoulders.
At one stage I was listening to the 'billy slater is a ******, knock him out' argument put forward. I mean, this is some top grade stuff.

NSW can have that game. I'll watch it with civilised people down here.

At the end of the day, karma won out and it was great to wave goodbye to the crowd of misfits who no doubt were going to celebrate by doing burnouts in some shitbox Honda Civic regardless of winning or losing.

Was anyone in Canterbury Sunday night? Just saw footage on foxsports news and bulldogs fans dancing and burning Melbourne Storm gear. Anyone who saw or was there mind explaining the incident, looked like some very anti social behaviour.
no it was just a normal night out for these thugs.well done storm,scoreboard flattered dogs,we should have won by 20 plus

Hahahahahaha suck it up. The refs were fine. If anything the Storm was on the receiving end of the worst decision of all time by not sending off James 'Mike Tyson' Grayham.

Your lucky you only lost by under two tries.

Haha, thats good, thats really good... So tell me Gus, whats it like having a toad neck?

Travelled up for the game after buying optimistic tickets months ago.
I attend about half of the Storm home games so by no means am I a die hard but I get behind just about any sport.
First time attending an interstate league game and lets just say AFL crowds are like a congregation of intellectual diplomats in comparison to what are apparently classed as 'humans' up that way.

I've always said that Storm games are great for the kids because of the good family atmosphere (fireworks, music, dancing girls, mascots etc etc) but Storm v Dogs in Sydney. I'd feel safer putting my kids on a plane to Afghanistan.

I don't know whether a thugs game just attracts thugs or whether a simple game attracts simple people. Heaven forbid anyone even try and have some jovial conversation back and forth about the teams. Surrounded by Dogs fans, a few Storm supporters who were celebrating when they scored were constantly abused, had stuff thrown at them and it came from both genders. No doubt Robbo has told Shazza how best to behave like an antisocial bigot in between producing 14 children. Oh lets not forget some giant in the crowd making 'come at me bro' gestures to some mob of Storm supporters, complete with 3 year old kid on his shoulders.
At one stage I was listening to the 'billy slater is a ******, knock him out' argument put forward. I mean, this is some top grade stuff.

NSW can have that game. I'll watch it with civilised people down here.

At the end of the day, karma won out and it was great to wave goodbye to the crowd of misfits who no doubt were going to celebrate by doing burnouts in some shitbox Honda Civic regardless of winning or losing.

Honest view. Appreciated.

And people wonder why crowds are low in Sydney?

no it was just a normal night out for these thugs.well done storm,scoreboard flattered dogs,we should have won by 20 plus

That's just typical Bulldog supporter behaviour unfortunately. Go along to a game against any other side and you'd enjoy the day. When I used to live in Sydney, as a Manly supporter I once took the bus in from Parramatta leagues to Brookvale filled with Parra supporters and enjoyed it thoroughly (although they gave me plenty on the way home after they won, it was all good natured). Conversely most friends stopped going to even their home games when Canterbury were visiting.

I might have issues with the way that Storm as an organisation have handled things over the last few years, but from what I've seen the supporters themselves are at least reasonably civilised (although I still much prefer Brookvale or even Leichhardt on a sunny Sunday afternoon for watching a game).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just typical Bulldog supporter behaviour unfortunately. Go along to a game against any other side and you'd enjoy the day. When I used to live in Sydney, as a Manly supporter I once took the bus in from Parramatta leagues to Brookvale filled with Parra supporters and enjoyed it thoroughly (although they gave me plenty on the way home after they won, it was all good natured). Conversely most friends stopped going to even their home games when Canterbury were visiting.

I might have issues with the way that Storm as an organisation have handled things over the last few years, but from what I've seen the supporters themselves are at least reasonably civilised (although I still much prefer Brookvale or even Leichhardt on a sunny Sunday afternoon for watching a game).

I had a feeling the general intellectual level at the game had a lot to do with the team. As much as Andrew Demetirieiueiusioue is a self indulgent dickhead, I feel comfortable the anti-social behaviour that seems to be the norm at NRL would be eradicated in AFL rather abruptly. I mean, the news bulletin crossed to 'Doggy supporters' the night before the game, celebrating with flares, burnouts and broken glass......I mean...really? And a seemingly humorous acceptance that this is what they do. You just accept that a large supporter base are a bunch of uneducated dolts?

If a Storm player was punched in the back of the head or broke his neck I have no doubt that the 80,000 odd evolution cheats who were at the game would have cheered and offered taunts that a rival player is nearly dead on a stretcher. The game isn't going to go anywhere with cockblocks like that I'm afraid.

I had a feeling the general intellectual level at the game had a lot to do with the team. As much as Andrew Demetirieiueiusioue is a self indulgent dickhead, I feel comfortable the anti-social behaviour that seems to be the norm at NRL would be eradicated in AFL rather abruptly. I mean, the news bulletin crossed to 'Doggy supporters' the night before the game, celebrating with flares, burnouts and broken glass......I mean...really? And a seemingly humorous acceptance that this is what they do. You just accept that a large supporter base are a bunch of uneducated dolts?

If a Storm player was punched in the back of the head or broke his neck I have no doubt that the 80,000 odd evolution cheats who were at the game would have cheered and offered taunts that a rival player is nearly dead on a stretcher. The game isn't going to go anywhere with cockblocks like that I'm afraid.

Spot on.

So where is the incentive for a dad to take his wife and kids firstly to drive through the worst city ever regards to ease of travel, then have to find parking where there isn't any, pay for an over priced family ticket and sit on your bum - not even in a seat - on an overcrowded hill with drunken louts eating overpriced food?

None whatsoever.

Rubbish like that should've been eradicated and fixed 2 decades ago.

A few comments:

1. Has there ever been a hooker more influential than Cameron Smith? He's in just about every attacking move, and he's such a cunning, clever player. With his "accountant's legs", he doesn't seem strong enough to play the game in any position, but he does it so well!

2. If Ben Barba is the future Queensland full back, he will have to wait until Billy Slater retires. Billy makes the odd mistake but can he do the spectacular! His tap back to Norrie should have been awarded a try, bugger the offside.

3. Cooper Cronk has transformed himself into the best half back in the League. He was just an utility player 4 years ago, but a bit of help from Matthew Johns and sheer hard work has got him to the top. The move to set up the try to Billy was a thing of beauty!

4. Craig Bellamy is a magician. How does he make reject players, particularly dud forwards, into champion players, good enough to win Premierships?

Ps. Thank you Storm for saving my weekend, after a horrible AFL Grand Final.

;)

Billy makes the odd mistake but can he do the spectacular! His tap back to Norrie should have been awarded a try, bugger the offside.

;)

Excuse me? :confused: Norrie was in front of the kicker. End of.

I'm not the biggest fan of Archer, but I didn't think the refs got too much wrong in the GF. OK, they could have sent Graham off, but he'll be looking at a long ban at any rate. Talk about "might as well be wearing a Storm shirt" is just daft. Anyone who seriously beleives that refs in the NRL (or, indeed, any major professional sport) are biased agaisnt some team or other is just, well, words fail me...

Excuse me? :confused: Norrie was in front of the kicker. End of.

I'm not the biggest fan of Archer, but I didn't think the refs got too much wrong in the GF. OK, they could have sent Graham off, but he'll be looking at a long ban at any rate. Talk about "might as well be wearing a Storm shirt" is just daft. Anyone who seriously beleives that refs in the NRL (or, indeed, any major professional sport) are biased agaisnt some team or other is just, well, words fail me...

I think Davo was saying it would have been a spectacular try if not for the offside, not that it should have been awarded a try, it was clearly offside no one would argue any differently. Other than Phil "professionalism can go to hell along with anyone else who isn't from NSW" Gould and the rest of the NSW commentary crew (Ray Warren you disgraced yourself) I haven't heard anyone suggest the game was poorly officiated, let alone officiated with bias. Melbourne were the better team.On another note I did hear a New South Welshman on the today show yesterday suggest that if Billy Slater had been penalising for leading with his knees in the tackle on the corner he wouldn't have been bitten... The bloke also managed to keep a straight face when he said it. It's interesting that Sydney wins the AFL and everyone in Melbourne was just amazed with the quality of the game and congratulated Sydney on a great win (except for Hawks supporters) yet the Storm win the NRL and it seems everyone in the media north of the border hates it and has had a whinge about dirty tactics or bad officiating. Good luck getting a nationally supported game with that attitude.

I really enjoyed the game, with games like League,Union, American footy, I love it when defence dominates. I think it makes for more of an honest game. I think had Smith converted all those attempts, the scoreline wouldn't have been a fair reflection of Canterbury's effort on defence.
Just to add to my point. I found the GF such an absorbing contest, it wasn't til an hour or so after the game, I realised the second half was scoreless.

I haven't been to any Bulldogs games in Sydney, but surely all their supporters are not d**kheads. The ones that travel down here vs storm that I;ve met have been awesome. A bit of banter here and there but that was all. They were well behaved an in awe of the support storm have generated for rugby league.

Todd Greenburg's done a great job in cleaning up that club and I think the other gooses at the g/f that misbehaved were mostly non-members of the club.

Todd's still got a bit of work ahead of him I think, but he does deserve a lot of praise.

I haven't been to any Bulldogs games in Sydney, but surely all their supporters are not d**kheads. The ones that travel down here vs storm that I;ve met have been awesome. A bit of banter here and there but that was all. They were well behaved an in awe of the support storm have generated for rugby league.

I have a lot of mates who are Doggies supporters, and they are fine. It's just there is a core of dickheads who spoil it for the rest, and it is a fairly big number. And I'm sure the folks that travel down are generally not amongst that group (they struggle to get out of their suburb, let alone the state, and even if a couple did they would be too gutless to do anything without the support of their mob).

Guys haven't read any of the thread but would like to give my opinion on a couple of things. Firstly Congrats to the Melbourne Storm on winning the Premiership, well deserved and you guys are a credit to everything good about RL. On the actual game I was disappointed with the Bulldogs game plan, to me it looked like they were more interested in unsettling Melbourne then worry about our own game... I thought this changed in the second half but the game was over at that stage... The bounce of the ball and that little bit of Luck deserted us when we needed it (Ennis from Dummy half, Morris bounce, about 4 overlap passes knocked on by Melbourne’s Winger etc). The referring to me was disgraceful (Being nice), I didn't mind that we got CANNED in the opening half with penalties (As most were justified) however in the second half every time we got a roll on, made a break or looked threatening, Melbourne were allowed to wrestle us for 4-5 seconds, barely ever got on side (After a break) and the Referee's let them get away with it... IF the Bulldogs were allowed to get away with it in the first half, i would've cared, but we weren't. In saying that, take nothing away from Melbourne...

Now moving on to the supporters. I did manage to get a glimpse of a post (In this page) about Bulldogs supporters swearing and saying to take out Slater etc… Seriously it happens in every game I’ve been too, that’s footy!! I’ve watched a few AFL games were the supporters go absolutely mental and say a lot worse, yet apparently it’s just a Bulldogs thing? Or RL thing? Non issue! 83,000 people on Sunday and 60,000 were Bulldog supporters!!! Out of the 83,000 only 40 odd got ejected! Police were extremely happy! Well done to everyone, brilliant day (Shame about result).

Bulldog supporters are very loyal to the club… After the game, yes we lost but thousands still went to the Leagues Club and surrounding Streets to cheer on the team… Out of those thousands, 3-4 MORONS (Who I suspect don’t really support us) decided to burn a Melbourne Flag Or Jersey… I hope they throw the book at the them but for everyone on these forums to judge all our supporters on those 3-4 Morons is unfair and unjustified, talk about kicking people when they’re down!!!

One last vent before I go… Channel 9 and the Daily Telegraph are a disgrace!!! YES, they weren’t allowed into Mad Monday celebrations, why should they be??? Channel 7 and 10 acting professionally and respectfully and followed the rules… They ended up getting more footage as the Bulldogs allowed them access… Channel 9 however used a HELICOPTER to try and get footage, climbed on the fence… Used a long range microphone to try and listen to the players, who said what was reported (IN A ROOM THEY THOUGHT NO ONE WOULD HEAR THEM), Disgraceful by those pricks who are meant to be “The Home of Rugby League”. The players get ONE DAY A YEAR to let down there guard, why not just let them be? No other club was harassed like that, especially a day after losing a GF. I hear the media going crazy also over Jono Wright peeing on the field (Again they got footage from climbing the fence), PLEASE it’s a piss up, that’s what happens and would’ve happened at every other Mad Monday in every other sport!!! I for one and I know a few others are trying to find out when Channel 9 have there Christmas Party… We’ll see how the reporters behave when blind!

Well Done Melbourne... 2012 Premiers!

Todd Greenburg's done a great job in cleaning up that club and I think the other gooses at the g/f that misbehaved were mostly non-members of the club.

Todd's still got a bit of work ahead of him I think, but he does deserve a lot of praise.

Of course not everyone is a d*ckhead but the culture differences between codes just seem so polar opposite. You have a game that regularly has blokes throwing haymakers at each other seemingly without worry of suspension (I don't get erections from blokes punching each other in the face like they do in NSW) and players taking shits in hotels/raping women/telling news reporters to suck their dick/biting ears. If you were an outsider looking in you would think its some country amateur league. Not a professional organisation.

The problem with cleaning up the boganism from the sport is you then lose the bogans which unfortunately are a large supporter base. At least AFL bogans can be humourous ala the Richmond cheer squad. They have got years and years of work to turn it into a professional sport.

You mean Graham being allowed to stay on the field after chewing Slater's ear off? Yeah, you really got dudded with that call.
The better team won. The team that played a flawless finals series won the premiership.

Guys haven't read any of the thread but would like to give my opinion on a couple of things. Firstly Congrats to the Melbourne Storm on winning the Premiership, well deserved and you guys are a credit to everything good about RL. On the actual game I was disappointed with the Bulldogs game plan, to me it looked like they were more interested in unsettling Melbourne then worry about our own game... I thought this changed in the second half but the game was over at that stage... The bounce of the ball and that little bit of Luck deserted us when we needed it (Ennis from Dummy half, Morris bounce, about 4 overlap passes knocked on by Melbourne’s Winger etc). The referring to me was disgraceful (Being nice), I didn't mind that we got CANNED in the opening half with penalties (As most were justified) however in the second half every time we got a roll on, made a break or looked threatening, Melbourne we're allowed to wrestle us for 4-5 seconds, barely ever got on side (After a break) and the Referee's let them get away with it... IF the Bulldogs were allowed to get away with it in the first half, i would've cared, but we weren't. In saying that, take nothing away from Melbourne...

Now moving on to the supporters. I did manage to get a glimpse of a post (In this page) about Bulldogs supporters swearing and saying to take out Slater etc… Seriously it happens in every game I’ve been too, that’s footy!! I’ve watched a few AFL games were the supporters go absolutely mental and say a lot worse, yet apparently it’s just a Bulldogs thing? Or RL thing? Non issue! 83,000 people on Sunday and 60,000 were Bulldog supporters!!! Out of the 83,000 only 40 odd got ejected! Police were extremely happy! Well done to everyone, brilliant day (Shame about result).

Bulldog supporters are very loyal to the club… After the game, yes we lost but thousands still went to the Leagues Club and surrounding Streets to cheer on the team… Out of those thousands, 3-4 MORONS (Who I suspect don’t really support us) decided to burn a Melbourne Flag Or Jersey… I hope they throw the book at the them but for everyone on forums to judge all our supporters on those 3-4 Morons is unfair and unjustified, talk about kicking people when they’re down!!!

One last vent before I go… Channel 9 and the Daily Telegraph are a disgrace!!! YES, they weren’t allowed into Mad Monday celebrations, why should they be??? Channel 7 and 10 acting professionally and respectfully and followed the rules… They ended up getting more footage as the Bulldogs allowed them access… Channel 9 however used a HELOCPOTER to try and get footage, climbed on the fence… Used a long range microphone to try and listen to the players, who said what was reported (IN A ROOM THEY THOUGHT NO ONE WOULD HEAR THEM), Disgraceful by those pricks who are meant to be “The Home of Rugby League”. The players get ONE DAY A YEAR to let down there guard, why not just let them be? No other club was harassed like that, especially a day after losing a GF. I hear the media going crazy also over Jono Wright peeing on the field (Again they got footage from climbing the fence), PLEASE it’s a piss up, that’s what happens and would’ve happened at every other Mad Monday in every other sport!!! I for one and I know a few others are trying to find out when Channel 9 have there Christmas Party… We’ll see how the reporters behave when blind!

Well Done Melbourne... 2012 Premiers!
You have always been one of the best posters on here. I wish you would post more often.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back