D2 2013 Div2, the thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could be the season defining round for the final four. The result of the Saints clash could decide if the final four is settled this far out from the finals action.

Monash Gryphons vs South Melbourne
Old Paradians vs Yarra Valley
Ivanhoe vs Old Eltham
Therry Penola vs Emmaus St Leos
St Johns vs St Marys Salesian

Lovely to finally see some action in our beloved thread.

Unlike many in the division 2 community, I don't possess the proverbial 'knackers' to predict a definitive top 4 so far our from the conclusion of the season.

Monash over South Melbourne
Yarra to defeat a hackless OP
Therry to cruise to victory over the resident 'bad boyz' of the comp
The lads from Carroll reserve to get the season back on track against the Saints.

In the interest of decreased productivity and some light-hearted entertainment for next week, when we come into work on Monday, can we all pot the lads from St Leo's. Talk about living up to their name as the 'animals'.

Round 8 Review

3/5 (27/40 cumulative) was a fair return only in a week that revealed nothing we didn’t already know. Reckon the four is almost set. Sure St Johns can still easily make, but I reckon if they are dropping game to the Gryphs at home, their form is too inconsistent. Relegation on the other hand is far from decided. Emmaus are obviously short priced favourites for the drop, but any of the bottom five clubs could still find themselves in this dreaded zone come the season’s end.

Round 9 Preview

Gryphons over Animals by 6 Pts (Emmaus match up well against Monash and will push them all the way in search for their first win. Reckon they will fall agonisingly short though with Kye Cherian best afield for the Gryphs).

Old Eltham over SMS by 10 Pts (Some very close match up this round and this one is no exception. Not sure St Mary’s will be able to keep The Turtles under 100 points though as they have too many match-winners).

Jocs over Raiders by 8 Pts (I’ve given up on Parade, so put em’ down as your lock of the week. St Johns cannot be backed with any confidence, however their best footy would see them win comfortably).

Therry over Yarra Valley by 27 Pts (Reckon the Lions will flex their muscles and show the competition who’s best.).

SMD over Ivanhoe by 13 Pts (Another I have no firm opinion on although Districts play their ground most effectively, especially when it is wet, so Bloods for me).

Round 9 Review

2/5 (29/45 cumulative) in a round of a few upsets, most notably at Ferndale where the Saints easily accounted for the Turtles. Three contests were decided by less than a kick indicating the evenness of this competition bar the Lions whose juggernaut continues.

Round 10 Preview

Gryphs over Bloods by 16 Pts (Never much between these two, but East Caulfield Reserve has one selecting Monash)

Bushrangers over Raiders by 11 Pts (I cannot predict Parade correctly so they will most likely win this one, but surely Yarra Valley are the stronger team?)

Turtles over Hoes by 13 Pts (Will not be easy for Eltham but their best footy is far better than Ivanhoes).

Therry over Emmaus by 75 Pts (The margin is the only debatable issue. Depends how switched on the Lions are come 2pm).

Jocs over SMS by 5 Pts (No doubting that the Saints are the better side, but the Jocs are at home and playing for their season, so I will select them in a thriller).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Dear Division 2 Faithful,

Like those that have gone before me, let me premise this post with the following.

"There are no inferences in the following post that the level of umpiring changed outcome of the game, in fact, I tentatively say that the margin at games end could have been larger had it not been for the match officials'

Additionally, if you are of the mind-set that putting forward opinions of VAFA employee's is bad taste, I kindly ask that you close your laptop, push away from your desk, scurry off to the kitchen and make yourself a Skinny Soy Chai with half a splenda pull out this months edition of Vogue Magazine and refrain from posting the automated response. While I'm sure you're eager to pepper your response with gems like "I don't see you putting up your hand", "If it wasn't for the umpires, we wouldn't even be playing footy" and my personal favorite "Are you perfect mate? Everyone makes mistakes", we've heard them all before, and quite frankly, I don't care.

I have always been from the old-school of thought that the less free kicks paid the better. Providing the umpires stay consistent all day, and don't succumb to the pressure put on them by irate players and change tact half way through, generally I believe the fewer free kicks the better.

The two geriatric umpires that fronted up to East Caulfield Reserve couldn't have been polar opposites from my romantic notion of how a game should be officiated. Doing their very best Darryn Goldspink and Ray Chamberlain impersonations, the two meticulously went out to destroy the very fabric of local footy.

In what they seemingly perceived as an AFL standard game, they paid 5 free kicks within the first 3 minutes and went on to pay at least 20, 25-metre penalties by games end, some of which made no sense at all.

Now I understand that down in the lowly depths of Division 2 that we are not afforded the best umpires in the league, but there has to be some form of monitoring implemented to ensure situations like Saturday do not occur.

After witnessing the standard of umpiring on Saturday, I'm confident to say that the VAFA has extremely low entry standards for these umpires and ZERO quality control once they let them loose to cause havoc on our Saturday afternoons.

Like those that have gone before me, let me premise this post with the following.

"There are no inferences in the following post that the level of umpiring changed outcome of the game, in fact, I tentatively say that the margin at games end could have been larger had it not been for the match officials'

Additionally, if you are of the mind-set that putting forward opinions of VAFA employee's is bad taste, I kindly ask that you close your laptop, push away from your desk, scurry off to the kitchen and make yourself a Skinny Soy Chai with half a splenda pull out this months edition of Vogue Magazine and refrain from posting the automated response. While I'm sure you're eager to pepper your response with gems like "I don't see you putting up your hand", "If it wasn't for the umpires, we wouldn't even be playing footy" and my personal favorite "Are you perfect mate? Everyone makes mistakes", we've heard them all before, and quite frankly, I don't care.

I have always been from the old-school of thought that the less free kicks paid the better. Providing the umpires stay consistent all day, and don't succumb to the pressure put on them by irate players and change tact half way through, generally I believe the fewer free kicks the better.

The two geriatric umpires that fronted up to East Caulfield Reserve couldn't have been polar opposites from my romantic notion of how a game should be officiated. Doing their very best Darryn Goldspink and Ray Chamberlain impersonations, the two meticulously went out to destroy the very fabric of local footy.

In what they seemingly perceived as an AFL standard game, they paid 5 free kicks within the first 3 minutes and went on to pay at least 20, 25-metre penalties by games end, some of which made no sense at all.

Now I understand that down in the lowly depths of Division 2 that we are not afforded the best umpires in the league, but there has to be some form of monitoring implemented to ensure situations like Saturday do not occur.

After witnessing the standard of umpiring on Saturday, I'm confident to say that the VAFA has extremely low entry standards for these umpires and ZERO quality control once they let them loose to cause havoc on our Saturday afternoons.

Tool. Full stop.

What a load of crap....
What do you expect? Div 2 (5th division) standard gets Div 2 standard umpiring.
Notice nothing mentioned about the turnovers, the fumbles, dropped marks etc, etc....

What a load of crap....
What do you expect? Div 2 (5th division) standard gets Div 2 standard umpiring.
Notice nothing mentioned about the turnovers, the fumbles, dropped marks etc, etc....

I can only assume that given your response you did not read my post.

Firstly, I alluded to the fact that we are not afforded the best umpires in the competition, and secondly, I explicitly stated if you were going to respond with any of the following sentences "I don't see you putting your hand up", "If it wasn't for the umpires we wouldn't be playing on a Saturday and my personal favorite "Are you perfect mate? Everyone makes mistakes."

Despite being in Division 2, surely it's not asking too much on the league to provide competent match officials so we can all enjoy our favorite past time? The 2 men adjudicating Saturday's game were anything but.

Gentlemen,
PLEASE, CAN EVERYONE STOP COMPARING UMPIRES TO PLAYERS? THE COMPARISON IS SIMPLY NOT THERE.

Players make mistakes due to both implied and physical pressure both from the other team, the coaches (some battling to keep their spot/game time/needing to lift their side), fans etc.

Umpires DO NOT have those pressures. Only the abuse from the crowd and players could constitute ‘pressure’, which should not affect whether a free kick goes to a certain team or not.

I had a rant earlier this year in disgust of the umpires, and since I have kept a close eye on them. I was actually in the belief that, since my explosion online, the umpiring has been superb in the matches I have seen, especially by the younger umpires.

Les Argen, much like a stopped clock, was only right once. We are watching Division 2 football. Everyone makes mistakes. We saw that even the siren blower can get over anxious a few weeks ago. The problem isn’t individual decisions. It’s consistency, plain and simple. If you decide to pay free kicks for sliding, do it all day. If a tackle slipping high isn’t a free kick, don’t pay it at any stage.

I know this is easy say from inside the confines of a Ford Fairlane. And I understand that all umpires are human. So let’s cut them a bit of slack, understand that it’s only a game and enjoy the competition.
Please read this if you are going to comment as I have clearly stated that in my opinion the UMPIRING HAS BEEN OF A TERRIFIC STANDARD.

Do we still think Therry are the team to beat this season?

Remember this is D2, so (assuming the VAFA supply two field umpires for each senior game through the grades above), you have the 80th-100th best field umpires from the VAFA each week (at best, although some will be doing U19 premier etc).

Kind of puts it in perspective when you want to complain about umpiring standards. You get D2 standard umpiring in a D2 standard game.

I can only assume that given your response you did not read my post.

Firstly, I alluded to the fact that we are not afforded the best umpires in the competition, and secondly, I explicitly stated if you were going to respond with any of the following sentences "I don't see you putting your hand up", "If it wasn't for the umpires we wouldn't be playing on a Saturday and my personal favorite "Are you perfect mate? Everyone makes mistakes."

Despite being in Division 2, surely it's not asking too much on the league to provide competent match officials so we can all enjoy our favorite past time? The 2 men adjudicating Saturday's game were anything but.

What gives you the wisdom to judge competency mate? Every time an umpire makes a decision there are opinions about the validity of the call. Quite often 50% of the crowd think the ump is wrong whilst the balance rejoice in what they see as a correct call. Often in the AFL even with slo-mo replays it is still tough to be sure what the correct call should be. But you think you know best.

Relax and enjoy the game. Stop getting uptight about "competency". Marginal calls and sometimes wrong calls are part of our great game. Big people and their clubs know this and concentrate on the things they can control.

It looks to me that the top 2 sides are locked in being Therry and YV. Those 2 teams have only dropped 1 game between them since round 4 and that was YV vs Therry. As far as the bottom 2 spots in the 4 go I think it is between St Mary's, Eltham and St johns who look like they can beat any body on there day but are very up and down. Who looks like going down? Clearly St Leos are gone but then it could be any one of the other 4 teams. If I was to take my pick it will be Parade or Ivanhoe.

Thoughts?

It looks to me that the top 2 sides are locked in being Therry and YV. Those 2 teams have only dropped 1 game between them since round 4 and that was YV vs Therry. As far as the bottom 2 spots in the 4 go I think it is between St Mary's, Eltham and St johns who look like they can beat any body on there day but are very up and down. Who looks like going down? Clearly St Leos are gone but then it could be any one of the other 4 teams. If I was to take my pick it will be Parade or Ivanhoe.

Thoughts?

I think you're spot on, I think the Turtles (though a little out of form at the moment) will sucure a spot in the 4.

My tips this week:
Yarra
Eltham
SMS
Therry
St Johns

Even this far out from finasl time, I think the top three at the moment on the ladder are safe and should play finals, but the winner of the final spot is really anyone's guess at this stage.

Yarra Valley vs Emmaus St Leos
Old Eltham vs Monash Gryphons
St Marys Salesian vs Old Paradians
South Melbourne vs Therry Penola
St Johns vs Ivanhoe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts?

Aren't you forgetting South Melbourne?

They are as good a chance as any to drop.

St Johns are the best of the sides outside of the four at this point.

Everyone else is in the mix and all are capable of being decent on their day and terrible on others so I wouldn't be too certain on any of those and availablity and injury will play a huge part on the run home.

Tips for tomorrow.

Yarra Valley to beat st Leos by 60 points
Eltham to have a tough one against the Gryphs but to get home by 10 points.
St Marys to shrug off Parade in the end by 35 points
Therry to beat South Melbourne by 41 points
Hoes to cause an upset over st Johns by 9 points.

Round 10 Preview

Gryphs over Bloods by 16 Pts. (Never much between these two, but East Caulfield Reserve has one selecting Monash)

Bushrangers over Raiders by 11 Pts. (I cannot predict Parade correctly so they will most likely win this one, but surely Yarra Valley are the stronger team?)

Turtles over Hoes by 13 Pts. (Will not be easy for Eltham but their best footy is far better than Ivanhoes).

Therry over Emmaus by 75 Pts. (The margin is the only debatable issue. Depends how switched on the Lions are come 2pm).

Jocs over SMS by 5 Pts. (No doubting that the Saints are the better side, but the Jocs are at home and playing for their season, so I will select them in a thriller).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Round 10 Review

4/5 (34/50 cumulative) was a fair return in a round that gave us two close contests decided by less than a kick. I stated a few weeks back that the four was all but settled. May have to reconsider this one as the Joc’s percentage gives them a real chance after their strong win at home against the Sainters. What this really proves is there is precious little between 2nd and 9th in this section and if a team enters a game with the wrong mindset they are likely to come unstuck. Hence there are only two things I can say are beyond doubt; Therry for finals and Emmaus for relegation.

Round 11 Preview

Bushrangers over Emmaus by 56 Pts. (Whilst the Animals have showed some signs of improvement in recent times, there is no way they will beat Yarra Valley at home. Bushrangers comfortably)

Eltham over Monash by 37 Pts. (The Turtles should pull away comfortably in the second half as the Gryphs talent stocks are limited and Eltham will look to boost their modest percentage. Ciavola to boot at least 6).

SMS over Parade by 15 Pts. (Suddenly the Saints seem the most vulnerable of the teams in the four and will be made to work hard for the points here).

Therry over South by 34 Pts. (The Lions would not want to turn up as world beaters or this could be an upset as the Bloods are a fairly good side on their day. Don’t think they’ll be able to sustain the standard to trouble the Lions for 120 minutes though).

Jocs over Hoes by 15 Pts. (St Johns will look to continue their push for finals but Ivanhoe know that any loss for teams on four wins places survival more perilous so it won’t be a cakewalk)

Good luck to all

Quasi

Pretty easy week to pick last week with the only near upset was Therry but the can be forgiven for having a poor week as they have been up for a long time and there main forward was out.
Enjoy the week off because I think teams will start making there runs after the bye.

Round 10 Preview

Hence there are only two things I can say are beyond doubt; Therry for finals and Emmaus for relegation.

Quasi

How long til Emmaus realise this is the case and start stacking their twos again?
They started their season with their twos stacked, got a number of wins.
Then decided to start trying in the ones, and unfortunately for them lost a few close ones.
Now their ones look set for relegation, and their twos are no longer in the four.
Good riddance I say, but they'd be spewing if their ressies didn't make finals.

How long til Emmaus realise this is the case and start stacking their twos again?
They started their season with their twos stacked, got a number of wins.
Then decided to start trying in the ones, and unfortunately for them lost a few close ones.
Now their ones look set for relegation, and their twos are no longer in the four.
Good riddance I say, but they'd be spewing if their ressies didn't make finals.
Are you for real?? Stack the two's now? Knobhead of the week to you old mate. Give yourself an uppercut and have 2 weeks off your Mums ipad.

I have seen far too many games where umpires have put away the whistle and allowed cowards to take cheap shots in the packs. Protect the player going for the ball. If there is free call it. If someone talks back penalise them. Umpires do a great job and for every poor performance an umpire gives there are probably 20 players who have failed to do their job on the ground.Much easier to blame the umpire.

Boundy is the most over rated bloke in D2. The few times we have played him, the only way that bloke has stamped his authority on the game is by being a sniper and throwing cheap shots. He has barely played well in those games. I hope he enjoys playing D3 in 2014.

As for top 10 players, I can think of many that would be above him. Egglestone, Ciavola, Harris, Gatehouse, Cherian, the Bannisters and Close are just a few names that I would put above the overpaid Paradian sniper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back