Live Event 2013 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Now open!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't help but feel that Conlon's going to make everyone look like morons next year. Top five potential, not even picked as a rookie in a shallow draft. I can understand why clubs passed initially, but in this draft I just don't see how you can overlook him completely.

Happy to see Spina and Herbert get opportunities. Both have worked extremely hard to improve after being passed on.

Honestly a bit surprised that Jolly got overlooked, thought he would find a place somewhere. And what happened to Thorp? 1 1/2 months ago was an absolute monty to get picked 3rd round, maybe even 2nd round.

Honestly a bit surprised that Jolly got overlooked, thought he would find a place somewhere. And what happened to Thorp? 1 1/2 months ago was an absolute monty to get picked 3rd round, maybe even 2nd round.

Thorp was a speculative outside chance to get picked on any list...at best. I still Don't know why he was so highly touted. Had a good year but let's get some perspective on the quality of defenders he lined up on each week.
Jolly is just old and injured not worth a rookie spot in my opinion.

Thorp was a speculative outside chance to get picked on any list...at best. I still Don't know why he was so highly touted. Had a good year but let's get some perspective on the quality of defenders he lined up on each week.
Jolly is just old and injured not worth a rookie spot in my opinion.

Fair enough about Thorp, I was basically just going of media reports for him.

As for Jolly, a few clubs could definitely do worse than pick him up as insurance (Here's looking at you St. Kilda)

If Mitch Thorp has real designs on being an AFL footballer he should make a move to a VFL/SANFL/WAFFLE club and prove himself against top level players, which is something he's never done.

As for Jolly, a few clubs could definitely do worse than pick him up as insurance (Here's looking at you St. Kilda)

Yeah the blues picking up Wood, surely Jolly would be a better option as a last resort ruck for them

Yeah the blues picking up Wood, surely Jolly would be a better option as a last resort ruck for them

Wood's got years in him though, Jolly'd be a depth player for a side looking to challenge (eg. Hudson at Collingwood) or an assistant/player as with Brogan at GWS.
Considering they plan to develop a very good prospect in Longer though, Jolly may have been a good option to coach him and rotate in to relieve the workload.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, wasn't arguing against our selection of him. Just find it strange that he perceived us as the only option.

Yes I know what you were saying and who knows hey.....the smaller blokes sometimes get overlooked, particularly if they are a one position type. You would have to think going so late that clubs were maybe thinking of the rookie draft for him?
He looks a sound player and with 60 not much downside to him at all.

Wood is not up to it, very surprised he got another go even as a backup.

Wood was the best ruckman in the VFL by a country mile. I was never a fan either , but I think he has matured a lot. He seems to be a lot stronger from when he last played AFL.
We all rate Tom Campbell I think , but Wood was still ahead of him this last season when both playing at Willy.
I am not surprised he was picked up and he is a far better bet than an ageing Jolly.

Wood was the best ruckman in the VFL by a country mile. I was never a fan either , but I think he has matured a lot. He seems to be a lot stronger from when he last played AFL.
We all rate Tom Campbell I think , but Wood was still ahead of him this last season when both playing at Willy.
I am not surprised he was picked up and he is a far better bet than an ageing Jolly.

He probably was. But based on what I saw, when he came up against some half decent competition seemed to me he was really only average. The last game of the season sticks out, he was dominated by Trent West in the 1st half who is pretty average himself. Anyway you've probably seen more then myself so you'd have a better idea, but I still can't help but think he's a spud.

Considering it took him a few hours to come out and publicly call his former coach a coward I think the reason why nobody picked him up is quite clear.

Also, weighing into the, "Why would Carlton pick up Wood?" discussion, I agree that it's an awful decision but they did need ruck depth. Personally I'd have overlooked both Wood and Jolly and rookied Seaby for another chance; still a good age, still up to it, and would provide better depth than either of the other two.

Considering it took him a few hours to come out and publicly call his former coach a coward I think the reason why nobody picked him up is quite clear.

I posted before I saw that comment. I don't know why you would even say that, it achieves nothing and just makes yourself look bad. Idiocy at it's finest!

I posted before I saw that comment. I don't know why you would even say that, it achieves nothing and just makes yourself look bad. Idiocy at it's finest!
Haha, yeah, I shook my head when I saw it. Was wondering why St Kilda opted against him but I'm pretty sure I get it now. :p

Thought you were talking about Dannn to start with :eek: Must be getting late :p

Not sure if its here already but a nice little interesting take from Footy Tragic on Matt Fuller pre-draft comparing him to Terlich. He got most pick orders wrong (fair enough), but nearly got this one right!
http://www.footytragic.com/blog/uncategorized/kps-phantom-draft/

#43 – MATT FULLER
Height: 180cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 1/6/1990
Recruited from: Norwood
In a not so dissimilar way to Dean Terlich, who got drafted to Melbourne after a great season for Norwood and finals series in particular, Matt Fuller looks to follow suit.
Fuller’s one of quite a few mature age players I expect to land at an AFL club on draft night.
Fuller is a half-back flanker with a very good left-foot kick on him. I think he is a more complete defender than Terlich with extra composure and skill. He reads the play really well and is good at zoning off for the intercept mark. With his big build, despite his height, he is often winning or at least breaking even in the one on one contest.
He loves to run and create from the backline and has been an 80m player for Norwood for much of the season. He is a really long kick and many Legs supporters will never forget his goal in the Grand Final. Fuller is very capable on both sides. He is not afraid to go on to the right boot, even from kick-ins.
He wasn’t invited to the Combine or State Screening which is an indication of interest from clubs, but his coach Nathan Bassett seems pretty confident that he’ll be on an AFL list next year.
I’d expect him to start at many lowly teams next season. He’d slot right in on to the back-flank and contribute immediately.

It's bloody amazing how much more I like people when they put on the Bulldogs gear !! Couldn't stand Scarlo when he played..lol.
And before Bazza came to us..mum would say "that animal's going to kill someone".. It went from that to, "He's got such a sweet face..nice blue eyes". LOL. :p

Completely agree! A lot happier about his selection now. His movement in packs with his awareness and ability to find a player with a handball is spectacular. Screams Pendlebury to me.

yes congrats on Bontempelli. Watching the highlights I'm sure the 2018 draftees will be described as "Bontempelli clones". Which will be a refreshing change given that even I'm getting bored with the comparisons to Pendlebury. And the unoriginal comparisons to Luke Hodge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back