Live Event 2013 NAB AFL Draft Discussion - Now open!

Remove this Banner Ad

And final thoughts on our draft. I'm still disappointed we passed on aish. Brisbane must be loving our work (mayes last year, aish this year). But cest la vie. Bontempelli is exciting and I'm backing us in.

What I do love is that we do back ourselves and take the kids that we think will be the best players long term. Macrae, stringer and now bontempelli, will all take longer to develop than other guys we passed on. Clearly we don't give a f#*k about what anyone else thinks, nor whether other kids burst through in year 1 or 2 (wines is a great example). We're all about the big picture which takes balls, and is fantastic IMO.

Happy we didn't take any token talls (felt Ben brown was in that category). Very pleased with fuller. Ready to roll and adds a weapon to our list that we haven't had since Gilbee.

And on the draft overall, I do love the unpredictability of things past the first 10 selections or so. Makes it a lot of fun.

And gws. What the hell was the McCarthy selection. Utter madness. Boyd, Patton, cameron, Tomlinson, jaksch, McCarthy. If we don't trade with them for a key forward in the next couple of years I'll fall off my chair.

Its a pretty smart move on their part. Stocking up talls means that they have good trade bait in coming years. And trade bait = high draft picks which in turn keeps their list fresh.
Both the Suns and Giants don't need to draft for need because there is no expectation to win - their picks are chosen with drafts in 3 to 4 years in mind. AFL have created significant monsters here

Its a pretty smart move on their part. Stocking up talls means that they have good trade bait in coming years. And trade bait = high draft picks which in turn keeps their list fresh.
Both the Suns and Giants don't need to draft for need because there is no expectation to win - their picks are chosen with drafts in 3 to 4 years in mind. AFL have created significant monsters here

Only problem is that these talls having to slum it in the NEAFL (which is a massive step in quality below the VFL, SANFL & WAFL) will lower their perceived value.

It's bloody amazing how much more I like people when they put on the Bulldogs gear !! Couldn't stand Scarlo when he played..lol.
And before Bazza came to us..mum would say "that animal's going to kill someone".. It went from that to, "He's got such a sweet face..nice blue eyes". LOL. :p

Now that you mention it I can't stop looking back and forth between their faces and the Bulldog logos on their gear - it's so weird to see these legends of other clubs wearing Bulldogs apparel :p It's a good look though, more should adopt it, preferably before their playing careers end.

In theory you're correct but look at what happened with Longer and Brisbane. Couldn't get opportunity and it exacerbated his 'homesickness' and they got very little in return in the end. GWS also still have holes in their list which they could have at least tried to fix with those picks. Time will tell I guess.

Now that you mention it I can't stop looking back and forth between their faces and the Bulldog logos on their gear - it's so weird to see these legends of other clubs wearing Bulldogs apparel :p It's a good look though, more should adopt it, preferably before their playing careers end.

it would've been sweeter if they had played for you guys. Needless to say you would've snagged a flag with them on your list.
FYI, they would've been unbelievably valuable for us too.

Pick 4 Marcus Bontempelli
A tall who can play forward, back or through the midfield. Possesses a raking left foot that can penetrate the lines. A rangy player with good agility, excellent endurance and durability and should be a star pick for the dog's after a few pre-seasons.

Pick 42 Matthew Fuller
An exceptional kick on both sides of his body, the natural left-footer and reads the play well and has strong hands with a long kick, so a solid pick and i like these two boys so i hope you like my post and think fuller could play 15 games this year if works hard.

Fuller: "Fantastic skills on both sides of his body and reads the play well. Unfortunately has no ability to get the ball."
We really need to place a ban on picking SA rebounding defenders who apparently have good footskills

When I've watched Fuller play, none of those statements are wrong. I've seen him hit targets under pressure on both sides of his body and he certainly hasn't been a liability one on one defensively, especially considering that he's only 180 cm tall
However it's the inability to win possessions in the double digits that makes it a tough pick, hopefully he can improve and be a good player!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sold on Bonts. We shouldn't be making assessments based on a few games of footy.

Although it looks like a big tick now by the end of 2016 we should have a realistic idea. What if Aish turns into a Chad Wingard and Bonts stagnates ala Gibbs?

Hindsight is the best indicator of success
that is fair enough

I thought he might turn out like Everitt to be honest at worst, Kouta like at best

I think Aish will be a more consistent player though, especially early
don't see Aish becoming a Chad Wingard type, but if you just meant a star
yeah, I could see that to...actually Aish reminds me more like Gibbs to be honest

that is fair enough

I thought he might turn out like Everitt to be honest at worst, Kouta like at best

I think Aish will be a more consistent player though, especially early
don't see Aish becoming a Chad Wingard type, but if you just meant a star
yeah, I could see that to...actually Aish reminds me more like Gibbs to be honest
Aish is Murphy again. Bonts is a mix of Pendlebury and Gary Ablett Snr

With a name like bontempelli you just have to be a star, otherwise you just cop too much crap
And Its got four syllables for Christ sake!
Bon-tem-pel-li

I am big on many syllables in a name - lib-era-tor-ri
Dip-ie-de-meni-co
Kouda-fi-da-fi-dees

Names like that and there is no hiding in the shadows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back