2014-15 EPL, Matchday 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I think Costa's more versatile, can do most things you ask him to do. I think he's better too but that's no slight on Sturridge
I guess it comes down to definitions of versatility haha. Costa holds the ball up really well but he's really a 18 yard box finisher. He usually plays on the last man. That's his bread and butter.

Sturridge floats around the forward half, drifts to the wings, runs with the ball at defenders etc.

That's the way i see it anyway. Certainly no slight on Sturridge.

When Costa was at Atletico there were times when they hoofed it to him when they wanted to change it up and he did that well, too. Yet still has the ability to run at people with the ball and be a fox in the box.

Sturridge is very similar to Torres, maybe Torres was more dynamic with the ball at his feet and Sturridge better coming deeper though

The real test comes for Sturridge when he comes back, because there's no Bitey McBite to play alongside so we will have to put in a lot more hard work to keep up his strike rate

very important question

do you pick your nose and wipe it on the head of sunderland fans?

Yet again it's Torres basically being guaranteed starts that's the problem for all the other strikers in Chelsea at the time, you know no matter how s**t Torres was, he was starting loads because he cost 50 million
To be fair to Torres, I think on the back of his Liverpool exploits he deserved a full season at Chelsea as the outright number one striker. That season was 12/13 and as you said he could only manage a measly 6 league goals. Had Sturridge stayed beyond that season he may have seen his opportunites start to open up

Edit: 8 goals. But the point stands.

Last edited:
In hindsight we could've gotten Sturridge as part of the Torres sales deal anyway, in hindsight he could've been handy if we got him earlier

bit of talk Rodgers wanted Dempsey and would have happily sent Henderson Fulhams way to get him and Sturridge was the fall back.

You'd be glad that never happened.

bit of talk Rodgers wanted Dempsey and would have happily sent Henderson Fulhams way to get him and Sturridge was the fall back.

You'd be glad that never happened.

Yeah that was true, I think we knocked back signing Sturridge permanently in the summer window, but then we bought him in Jan

And the Henderson thing's sad, a lot of players Rodgers didn't rate before end up being important players for him, while guys he rate and signed are s**t :(

Imo, Arsenal lost their competitive edge when they lost their campaigners. Vieira, Lauren, Keown = Leaders and Campaigners. I don't see any in this Arsenal team. Flamini maybe but he's more of a cheap shot artist these days. Other teams didn't want to mess with them in their pomp. Same with Keane at United, Terry at Chelsea. Arse need a leader who will set an example for the others to follow.
I saw the word 'campaigners' and I seriously didn't think of the censor ... and it would have still made sense to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back