List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is 16 a reach? If not maybe he goes then and you take McDonald or mckenzie @25
16 may be a reach, but I think we are at the stage where there is nothing wrong with grabbing the player we want, regardless whether it's his best draft position or not.

I know we are just couch recruiters and list managers over here, but I'd like us to take a punt on someone like him, instead of going conservatively for someone like Ellis. The worst we can do is play it safe again, while others find the X factor we are all talking about. Sometimes thinking of best available is also a wrong approach to take. Hawthorn took Isaac Smith and Bradley Hill when they felt it suited them, not worrying whether it is the best spot in the draft for them.

Personally, the only thing that would stop me from getting Garlett would either be concerns with his ability to move to Victoria, based on credible research, or the fact that Weller or Cockatoo were still available, and were deemed better fit.
Quite frankly, I think we need to nail picks 16 and 25 and this may impact our recruiters and list managers desire to take a risk and look for the safest, surest players. With McKenzie being a slow burn, Garner being injured and Harper being Harper, our classier attacking options in the younger bracket are not coming through as hoped. We need class and skill but we also need to nail the picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go Ahern/Weller/Ellis over Cockatoo (foot) and Garlett (inconsistent).

Quite frankly, I think we need to nail picks 16 and 25 and this may impact our recruiters and list managers desire to take a risk and look for the safest, surest players. With McKenzie being a slow burn, Garner being injured and Harper being Harper, our classier attacking options in the younger bracket are not coming through as hoped. We need class and skill but we also need to nail the picks. Wouldn't be surprised to see us go Ahern/Weller/Ellis over Cockatoo (foot) and Garlett (inconsistent).
That would be solving the problems by doing the same actions that lead to those problems in the first place.

That would be solving the problems by doing the same actions that lead to those problems in the first place.
Yes and no.

If we go all risk averse I will be somewhat disappointed but can see the rationale. I would rather we say * it and go for it.

How on earth would you know if Hawthorn didn't see them as best available? Were both rated pretty highly, especially smith and hill wasn't exactly a high end pick, so could have easily been best available in hawthorns view.

How on earth would you know if Hawthorn didn't see them as best available? Were both rated pretty highly, especially smith and hill wasn't exactly a high end pick, so could have easily been best available in hawthorns view.
Kaaaaayyyyy.

My point is not about Hill or whoever, moreso about strategy in selection from a North perspective. For example, if we have a choice between Cockatoo (who has spent a truckload of time on the sidelines with a navicular injury (Tom Curran anyone?)) or say Ellis, who is a good all round footballer with a year of quality footy behind him, what would we do?

I am sure that our recruiters already have this sorted in their heads, but the above is a question regarding potential for consistent AFL output vs potential for high level AFL output. Do we go with a safe bet over a risk? The post was about the thinking behind how players are rated by our recruiters, not where they are recruited.

Is 16 a reach? If not maybe he goes then and you take McDonald or mckenzie @25
I think that's the thing about this draft; we're hearing that it's very even from 5-30 and a lot depends on how particular clubs rate particular players.

I think the AFL has missed an opportunity regarding the draft.

They should have a club per day nominate a player, start in October and carry through til about Feb.

EG. North would get their turn 16th October, a full day of discussing how many awards and how much better than player 'x' is our choice.

Would work, thoughts?

I think the AFL has missed an opportunity regarding the draft.

They should have a club per day nominate a player, start in October and carry through til about Feb.

EG. North would get their turn 16th October, a full day of discussing how many awards and how much better than player 'x' is our choice.

Would work, thoughts?
I don't like it. Less chance of picking up a slider. Some clubs have to make snap decisions and I think that suits the better prepared (us).

Plus everyone would lose interest pretty quickly once their picks are done.

I like how it is but i want it done sooner! We could have had 7 new recruits bonding and training in utah by now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't like it. Less chance of picking up a slider. Some clubs have to make snap decisions and I think that suits the better prepared (us).

Plus everyone would lose interest pretty quickly once their picks are done.

I like how it is but i want it done sooner! We could have had 7 new recruits bonding and training in utah by now!

Yeah was really taking the piss, was kind of what I was alluding to.

Why the * to the AFL wait so long?

It's the one knock - he is very fast. He would nearly go in the top 15 if he had good foot skills. I would be happy to bring him in. There was question marks on Atleys kicking and that is now a non issue.
Not knocking Atley by any stretch Wild Bill, but you wouldn't call his kicking "Elite", he just hasn't been mistake-ridden.

Kaaaaayyyyy.

My point is not about Hill or whoever, moreso about strategy in selection from a North perspective. For example, if we have a choice between Cockatoo (who has spent a truckload of time on the sidelines with a navicular injury (Tom Curran anyone?)) or say Ellis, who is a good all round footballer with a year of quality footy behind him, what would we do?

I am sure that our recruiters already have this sorted in their heads, but the above is a question regarding potential for consistent AFL output vs potential for high level AFL output. Do we go with a safe bet over a risk? The post was about the thinking behind how players are rated by our recruiters, not where they are recruited.

I can see where you're coming from, I just don't agree that reaching for a specific type is a good idea especially in the first round.
We have got to where we are (safe option) because we have invested in the draft and picked best available for 5 or 6 years. The state of our list is the best it has been since the 90's because of this strategy.
I wouldn't shy away from a bloke because he has had an injury either. We can't turn away from talent because we got burnt by one player. Players get injured, that's footy.

Kaaaaayyyyy.

Kaaaaayyyyy.

I would go Ellis every time. Good footballer, nice kick, hard and skillful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back