Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the reasons for improvement and dig the optimism, but can't see significant enough improvement relative to those around us for us to get out of the bottom four. Hope I'm wrong.

I think there could be a significant improvement in terms of our percentage again this year - hopefully we get around mid 80's/low 90's and around 6-8 wins.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Grand New Flag over on DL has unraveled his riddles and offered up an explanation as to why we didn't land the rumoured big fish

As previously mentioned it was the aim of the MFC to trade for 2 A Grade Mids and also leave one top ten draft pick. (My apologies for suggesting pick 2 would stay, I later corrected this.)

There were a number of A Grade players targeted but Dangerfield, Hannebery plus a couple of other A Grade Swans were the players MFC gained traction. Mitchell was also targeted as a Tyson style deal. Melbourne were prepared to trade virtually any player on the list for the right price to also help bring these trades to completion.

MFC came very close to securing Danger, Danger had agreed to be traded to us on a massive contract but never asked to leave. Roos was never going to trade picks 2 and 3 for one player which was what Adelaide were asking. When the Adelaide administration were unable to get Danger to commit to a new contract last week, Pick 3 and a later first round pick became the asking price. The tigers had shown interest in Trengrove for pick 12. This deal was on the clasp of being done but unfortunately Trengrove failed his medico. MFC then went to look for a replacement and shopped Watts around. Several good teams were prepared to trade their first round pick 10 -20 for Watts, however Roos put an end to this. Roos values Watts much higher than a pick 10 - 20 but no teams were prepared to offer more. Roos wants to keep Watts. Other players were also suggested but no deal was done. On a side note I don't believe the rumour that Adelaide were prepared to offer pick 10 for Trengrove.

Attention then moved back to Sydney, it was hoped that Sydney would have salary cap issues this would force them to off load one of their A Graders for pick 2. MFC were also hoping to trade out another player for a pick around 10 which they would have hoped to get Lever. Another option was to trade for Mitchell with pick 2 swapped for a later single digit pick that would have been used for Lever. Clearly no deal was done. It was difficult to get the targeted Swans players to agree to come to the Dees and Sydney are not yet in a position of being forced to reduce salary cap. This will be an issue for them next year, when they will be forced to let players go....... but they want to win the premiership first.

We also made a play for Toby Greene.

Roos is targeting Lever and Brayshaw in the draft. Brayshaw is a lock in, it will be interesting who Roos takes with the other low pick.

MFC is now is a super strong position with massive salary cap space. It will be making big plays for FA next season and you can bet Danger and Sydney players are at the top of their list.

So to the riddles...... if you care.

Congratulations to Ignition who was closest to the pin, although many correctly solved the first one.

"Our likely trading partner is black and white but not a little bird"

Answer: Sydney. A Swan can come in black or white and is not a little bird.

"Tick, tock, the black mouse has run up the electric clock.
Lancelot lurks with feathers or fur to the command of his sir."

The black mouse is Dangerfield, time was running out to complete this deal and Watts had been offered as part of the trade. Watts was later withdrawn.

Lancelot is the "Jack of Clubs", Watts is the Jack of Clubs. Watts is Lancelot. There were several clubs interested in Watts and he would go where he was traded. Sir is Roos.

Ok so they both ended up not happening, trade week is a moving beast. I am sorry to any that somehow feel offended. For god sake it was a rumour thread, lighten up!! I am sure I will cop some more abuse, please its a waste of your time, I simply don't care. The tread was boring, trade week was boring, I had been muted and thought I would add some fun. It did make me laugh.............. very hard.

One more thing, Demonland deteriorates when its members start bickering. We once had a site called Demology. It was destroyed by its members bickering, lets not let Demonland go down that path.​

LINK: Here

So let me get this straight; we had a chance to bring in Dangerfield at the expense of Watts - and Roos said 'no'?

Pretty sure we'll land another player or 2 via trade or free agency next year, and if rumours of players not enjoying living in GWS are true, then I'm glad we gave them a good deal for Frost and further enhanced our good trading relationship.

Not sure if this has been mentioned in here or another part of the board

But right at the end of trade period, GWS offered Pick 6 for Howe

It was too late for either Melbourne or Howe to consider it so nothing happened

Im interested to see what would have happened if it was a legitimate offer earlier in the period what we would have done. It would have allowed us to either on trade pick 6, or Give Roos the ability to take Lever who he wants while still getting Brayshaw and McCartin

I for am glad Howe is still here, one of the few reasons to go to the footy these days
I'd have snapped that up without a second thought.

So let me get this straight; we had a chance to bring in Dangerfield at the expense of Watts - and Roos said 'no'?

Pretty sure we'll land another player or 2 via trade or free agency next year, and if rumours of players not enjoying living in GWS are true, then I'm glad we gave them a good deal for Frost and further enhanced our good trading relationship.
Roosy knew that he shouldn't have had to give up too much to get Dangerfield. If he really wants to come to us he'll do so next year.

Why would he want to come to us exactly outside of money? Every side will pay overs for him it would be a bidding war if he leaves. Also I cant believe that someone would swap pick 6 for Jeremy Howe either even though he is entertaining.

Why would he want to come to us exactly outside of money? Every side will pay overs for him it would be a bidding war if he leaves. Also I cant believe that someone would swap pick 6 for Jeremy Howe either even though he is entertaining.
Well that's it. Outside of money he wouldn't. But why the hell would Boyd want to go to the Dogs? Money. Money talks, and we'll have more than anyone in the cap. Pay Jones a shitload, because he deserves it, then get Danger.

Well that's it. Outside of money he wouldn't. But why the hell would Boyd want to go to the Dogs? Money. Money talks, and we'll have more than anyone in the cap. Pay Jones a shitload, because he deserves it, then get Danger.

True, not many clubs would have offered that contact to Boyd though. Everyone will be throwing cash at Dangerfield.

If we had a chance to seal the Danger deal, we should have taken it in my opinion.

Anyway, we'll be pretty well positioned for a big name next year, given we can engage in meaningful discussions with targets.

We were hamstrung last year, and may well have been able to lure guys like Goldstein and Rosa if it wasnt for the Frawley issue.

Please tell me we are targeting Treloar. There was an article on him wanting to leave at the end of 2015 to return home to his family.

I've heard of his dislike for roos but wow, if we had a bullet like him in our midfield..

Please tell me we are targeting Treloar. There was an article on him wanting to leave at the end of 2015 to return home to his family.

I've heard of his dislike for roos but wow, if we had a bullet like him in our midfield..
Who the * dislikes Roosy?

Wonder if we can nab both Dangerfield and Scott Selwood as free agents next year?
WC won't let Selwood go, future captain. Better shot is Jack Steven.

Who the **** dislikes Roosy?

WC won't let Selwood go, future captain. Better shot is Jack Steven.

Was in one of the player interview thingys on the AFL website, and a question was asked to players of who they disliked in the media, etc and treloar said roosy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah it was tongue in cheek and no malice.

I thought he was good value to even answer the question.

It had nothing to do with his coaching or personality etc. it was basically a joke.

Maybe that's become Roosy didn't call Treloar 'Treloary'.

I'm not one for usually overvaluing our players - but Howe for 6 wouldn't have made me particularly happy.

I think he'd get a game in any AFL side, so you would want pick 6 to be a cartainty.

That combined with us not wanting to load up on more picks at the expense of genuine AFL players makes me not overly concerned that this deal didn't go through.

I'm not one for usually overvaluing our players - but Howe for 6 wouldn't have made me particularly happy.

I think he'd get a game in any AFL side, so you would want pick 6 to be a cartainty.

That combined with us not wanting to load up on more picks at the expense of genuine AFL players makes me not overly concerned that this deal didn't go through.

If it was Howe for a player I would have been ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back