Mega Thread 2014 Free Agency and Trade discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who Can fill me in on these two.. O'Rourke and Jaksch? why can't they get a run? have they been injured or just not good enough? homesick? whats the word on these two?

O'Rourke is homesick, very introverted kid so it's likely if he comes home he'll perform better (being around family etc) - he's had injuries last year and has struggled for form this year, I do think he's a reasonable prospect but not worth the #2 pick GWS gave up for him by a long way.

For a comparison Jimmy Toumpas is well ahead of him.

Jaksch never really held down either Key Position Post as a junior, swinging wherever he's needed - again a solid prospect but nothing that isn't available this draft.

cheers JA7 + PuppetM..
It will be interesting to see what happens.. If Dees get picks 2 and 3 I think they will try to trade 1 of them to get a more mature youngster with star quality. However young stars are not easy to find. We are more likely to get guys who have shown potential and are looking for more opportunity (O'Rourke/Jaksch), I agree, a trade of picks will be in the mix in this case.

Fingers crossed Petracca falls to us to start with

Id take Lumumba for Clark. Im not saying its an even trade but it is a much better trade than Clark for nothing. I dont want Robinson. He's tough- so what. Viney is tough and will be a much better player and actually has a brain. Gwilt- for depth wouldnt hurt. Hopefully we get Stretch for a third rounder.
O"rourke and Jaksch- i cant see Melbourne being silly enough to offload a top draft pick for these two- third rounders i would have thought and would rather have Stretch

The thing I don't get, why did we sign up Terlich for another year already... If we could get either Gwilt or Harry for next to nothing, then I could easily live with that if we then delisted another mature player like Terlich, as both of those guys would be an upgrade on him. But by jumping the gun on a couple of contracts, we are making life difficult for ourselves, again.

I wouldn't bother recruiting for the back line. Even if we lose Frawley, we still have Dunn, Garland, Grimes, Jetta, McDonald, Howe, Watts, etc before we get to Terlich. It's by far our most reliable area of the park. We could use a bit of reinforcing back there, but it's not as important as finding new talent for the midfield, forward line or a decent ruckman. Gwilt, adds a bit of depth and is free... whatever, give him a crack. If we have to give up anything at all for another defender, then no. Just draft one.

If the forward line and midfield improves, the pressure on the back line should ease and we won't have to get all these precision laser kicks to work the ball out of defense. I'd really like to score more than 6 goals a game next season and hope the club works on that rather than solidifying a respectably decent but not great back line.

I wouldn't bother recruiting for the back line. Even if we lose Frawley, we still have Dunn, Garland, Grimes, Jetta, McDonald, Howe, Watts, etc before we get to Terlich. It's by far our most reliable area of the park. We could use a bit of reinforcing back there, but it's not as important as finding new talent for the midfield, forward line or a decent ruckman. Gwilt, adds a bit of depth and is free... whatever, give him a crack. If we have to give up anything at all for another defender, then no. Just draft one.

If the forward line and midfield improves, the pressure on the back line should ease and we won't have to get all these precision laser kicks to work the ball out of defense. I'd really like to score more than 6 goals a game next season and hope the club works on that rather than solidifying a respectably decent but not great back line.

I still think we need 1 more Key Defender we cant go into the season and think Garland or Dunn can play as the 2nd tall they are both better if there on the 3rd tall, So i expect to bring someone in like a Frost who has good size about him.

Yeah i'm pretty keen to see us finally kick more than 100 points in a game again.

I still think we need 1 more Key Defender we cant go into the season and think Garland or Dunn can play as the 2nd tall they are both better if there on the 3rd tall, So i expect to bring someone in like a Frost who has good size about him.

Yeah, Frost would be okay, he's young and will develop (I hope). Depends what GWS want for him. Just no giving up picks for Malceski or Twat Labamba, or trading Mitch Clark for them.

Gwilt I wouldn't mind. Comes for free and without baggage(?), can play the mid-sized defender role and release Howe back to a roaming half forward.

Lumumba I would think will still cost something (unless Collingwood really want rid of him and accept pick 1,000), comes with baggage and apart from some dash out of defence, he's a poor defender and not particularly skillful. No thanks.

Robinson, hard nut but low intelligence and skill. No thanks.

Malceski would be good but he's very short term. Be good to get (depending what we'd have to give up) but apart from a big final payday, I don't see why he'd even consider us.

So for me, Gwilt, a young gun plus pick trade and the rest through drafting is really what we should be looking at.

I beg to differ about the back-line, we need a couple of elite kicks off half-back.

I'd train Salem to play half-back next year as part of his development. He'll find it easier to get more of the footy with the ball ahead of him and he's a lovely user of the ball.

Malcolm Blight developed every one of his mids to play half-back for a period of time so they could rotate through there off the ball. Ultimately Salem will play further up the ground, but I see a lot of benefit for him and the team for a stint off half-back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I beg to differ about the back-line, we need a couple of elite kicks off half-back.

I'd train Salem to play half-back next year as part of his development. He'll find it easier to get more of the footy with the ball ahead of him and he's a lovely user of the ball.

Malcolm Blight developed every one of his mids to play half-back for a period of time so they could rotate through there off the ball. Ultimately Salem will play further up the ground, but I see a lot of benefit for him and the team for a stint off half-back.

I agree, but really we need elite kicks everywhere and anywhere, but I imagine you're right that Salem and possibly Toumpas could get an education back there. I'd much rather that than bring in muppet Lumumba, or Malceski for a couple of years and to a lesser degree Gwilt. Need the good kids to step up, and while it'd be ideal for them to have to earn their spot in the side, we're sodding hopeless and they can benefit from an AFL education playing on some of the best.

I agree, but really we need elite kicks everywhere and anywhere, but I imagine you're right that Salem and possibly Toumpas could get an education back there. I'd much rather that than bring in muppet Lumumba, or Malceski for a couple of years and to a lesser degree Gwilt. Need the good kids to step up, and while it'd be ideal for them to have to earn their spot in the side, we're sodding hopeless and they can benefit from an AFL education playing on some of the best.

I agree, but we turn the ball over too often from the back half. At least if you turn it over in the forward 50 you're a chance to put some pressure on, but when you turn it over in the middle of the ground you're cactus.

I reckon it's imperative that we fix up our skills off half-back.

Yep, pretty low probably of anything going wrong with Robinson and Lumumba in the same side.

We are bordering on a circus, seriously.
We've been either bordering on a circus or an actual circus for years. Have a read of Demonblog's list for proof...

I agree, but we turn the ball over too often from the back half. At least if you turn it over in the forward 50 you're a chance to put some pressure on, but when you turn it over in the middle of the ground you're cactus.

I reckon it's imperative that we fix up our skills off half-back.
Yep.
It's like I say;

Recruiting priorities should be:
1. Can kick
2. Can kick under some sort of pressure
3. If 1 and/or 2 are met, anything here is a bonus. Just concentrate on 1 and 2.

Kicking effectively and hitting targets is everything in the modern game. The sides with the best kicking are at the top IMO and pretty much always are. I don't mean looking at DE, I mean meaningful kicks that actually do damage - hitting targets that lead out and moving the ball quickly with precision. The best teams do that for the most part of every game they play. We do it once or twice a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back