2014 Membership Tally - Final Tally - *47,557

Remove this Banner Ad

Sometimes the image would “ghost”—a second, fainter image of the action would appear as a shadow to the main one. In our house what this meant was that there was a plane going over our house, either just about to land or having just taken off from the nearby newly built Tullamarine 'Jetport'. (It's true, they called it a jetport. Check out maps 4 and 5 of Melway edition 4—the first Melway Dad ever owned—if you doubt me.)

But before the replay started, there was a half-hour panel show. Hosted by Harry Beitzel, it featured ex-players such Thorold Merrett, Doug Heywood, 'Chicken' Smallhorn, Geoff Leek and Doug Bigelow. Doug Bigelow is the character who sticks most in my mind. Because, if my memory serves me correctly, he almost always wore a chequered jacket. There was nothing inherently wrong with that. It was the fashion of the time after all. But whenever Doug came on screen, his jacket would shimmer and the telly would buzz…loudly! When the director switched back to Harry in his plain suit there was no buzz. Then back to Doug in his houndstooth jacket and “bzzzzzzzz”! It used to drive us insane. We could never understand why no one at the ABC let him know that chequered jackets were a no-no.

- See more at: http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/The golden age of TV & radio footy/243#sthash.XHHT3MEE.dpuf

Not so impressive talking about people who have already won brownlows. How about you show some foresight, read your crystal ball and tell me who is gonna win one?
No-one this year. All umps to be publicly executed at Arden Street tomorrow morning. Pretty sure...

Sometimes the image would “ghost”—a second, fainter image of the action would appear as a shadow to the main one. In our house what this meant was that there was a plane going over our house, either just about to land or having just taken off from the nearby newly built Tullamarine 'Jetport'. (It's true, they called it a jetport. Check out maps 4 and 5 of Melway edition 4—the first Melway Dad ever owned—if you doubt me.)

But before the replay started, there was a half-hour panel show. Hosted by Harry Beitzel, it featured ex-players such Thorold Merrett, Doug Heywood, 'Chicken' Smallhorn, Geoff Leek and Doug Bigelow. Doug Bigelow is the character who sticks most in my mind. Because, if my memory serves me correctly, he almost always wore a chequered jacket. There was nothing inherently wrong with that. It was the fashion of the time after all. But whenever Doug came on screen, his jacket would shimmer and the telly would buzz…loudly! When the director switched back to Harry in his plain suit there was no buzz. Then back to Doug in his houndstooth jacket and “bzzzzzzzz”! It used to drive us insane. We could never understand why no one at the ABC let him know that chequered jackets were a no-no.

- See more at: http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/The golden age of TV & radio footy/243#sthash.XHHT3MEE.dpuf

This! :thumbsu:

:eek: :D

castle_wideweb__430x293.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back