Oppo Camp 2014 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon Griffen plus 6 is a bit of an overpayment, but it's still a good deal for the Dogs. Gives them a key, long-term solution to their forward line problems and also frees up Stringer and even Crameri to spend more time further up the ground.

I actually don't mind the Dogs trade to get Boyd. The money is stupid for a kid but Griffin wouldn't be in their next flag anyway, a key forward you can build a team around can win you a flag... In a stupidly basic term I see it as an upgrade for pick 6
It's bold and will certainly excite the fan-base.
Lord knows, doggies fans do it hard.

I reckon Griffen plus 6 is a bit of an overpayment, but it's still a good deal for the Dogs. Gives them a key, long-term solution to their forward line problems and also frees up Stringer and even Crameri to spend more time further up the ground.

That's an example of going hard and paying slight overs to get a necessary piece of the puzzle. I like it.

Insane money the Dogs are paying him, but a fair trade.

I think they will do very well out of it in the long term.
Asked this elsewhere without any response...

Is it possible to have performance-based clauses in AFL contracts?
i.e. base salary plus bonuses for games played, goals kicked, etc.

No they won't.
They are done for a long time. A decade. Easily.

I think you're right.

Ross really did a number on the list there in the end.

They ended up pretty much starting from scratch when he abandoned ship.

And they've had a few false starts since.

Long way back for them in my view.

Asked this elsewhere without any response...

Is it possible to have performance-based clauses in AFL contracts?
i.e. base salary plus bonuses for games played, goals kicked, etc.

Yes. Balme said Clark's contract will be the same (performance based based on games played etc)

There is a CBA minimum of about 60k or so plus match payments, beyond that the rest of the contract can be performance based if the player agrees.

Yes. Balme said Clark's contract will be the same (performance based based on games played etc)

There is a CBA minimum of about 60k or so plus match payments, beyond that the rest of the contract can be performance based if the player agrees.
I wonder if there is any of that in the Boyd contract then.
It makes a HELL of a lot of sense from the club's perspective, given that a Boyd injury or poor form/fitness could crush their list for the next 6 years, given the wedge he is getting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill cast aspersions, they were juiced up. I remember Dean Kemp and his knee and his sudden honeymoon mid season far far away to Europe....

You can throw Gardner and Cousins in that mix, a mate of mine used to get his prescriptions from the same pharmacist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saints ARE building up a nice list of top end draft picks and will reemerge as a threat, no doubt.

I remember Uncle Pauly getting very annoyed back in the day 04/05ish when there was a lot of talk about how great the Saints list was (Kosi, Roo, Del, Goddard, Ball, Hayes)
He was pretty sure our list was as good or better.

It's not what ya got. . . It's what ya do with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doggies all in on this one. That is a MASSIVE punt. With their list it could yield some previously unseen highs for them if it comes off. They have some great pieces at the moment and Boyd will finally be that big monster KPF they have missed for so long. As I said, massive upside for them.

On the other hand, the pendulum swings both ways. If this goes pear shaped I'd hate to think how long the ramifications will be felt.

I thought we were punting with Clark and Stanley and we clearly are… but nothing like they have done.
Losing their Captain Colbert style is bad enough and pick 6 was a faceless player, but having to tote along part of Griffin's payroll onto to he Boyd deal is a large financial burden.
Go Catters

Good on Boyd. The AFL have deliberately engineered this system where players can now demand ridiculous money, and a 19-year-old is going to be set for life. Put yourself first and never mind the other fecker.

Well played. :thumbsu:
Bold by the dogs. they have needed a power forward for so long, still a lot of cash to stump up for a guy who's played 9 games. If it doesn't work for the dogs it could end quite badly. Hope it doesn't, have a bit of a soft spot for the doggies.

Hawkins is a free agent next year isn't he?
He will get a kitchen sink thrown at him by some you'd imagine.

Hawkins is a free agent next year isn't he?
He will get a kitchen sink thrown at him by some you'd imagine.

Absolutely he will. But with his family connection you couldn't see him moving.

I reckon this move by the dogs could be really dumb. If they're willing to pay stupid money for a young talent then another club will pay stupid money for their young talent and the cycle will continue. I expect next trade period somebody will be offering Bontempelli crazy money too.

In the end I think the winners out of this will be teams like us and Hawthorn who can get the most out of players who aren't massive names as well as having a good record of keeping players for less money than they're offered elsewhere.

Absolutely he will. But with his family connection you couldn't see him moving.

I reckon this move by the dogs could be really dumb. If they're willing to pay stupid money for a young talent then another club will pay stupid money for their young talent and the cycle will continue. I expect next trade period somebody will be offering Bontempelli crazy money too.

In the end I think the winners out of this will be teams like us and Hawthorn who can get the most out of players who aren't massive names as well as having a good record of keeping players for less money than they're offered elsewhere.
I'm sure you are well aware of what you're inviting with that first line. ;)

Insane money the Dogs are paying him, but a fair trade.

I think they will do very well out of it in the long term.
If they win that elusive flag while he is there they won't care a bit how much he cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back