Oppo Camp 2014 non-Geelong AFL match and general discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distraction? I'm sure it will give plenty on here more to whinge about!!

I don't doubt that some will get stuck into the AFL for their fixture. As if we haven't known forever that it's a blatant exercise in maximising revenue and clearly preferencing some club's 'needs' over others.

The AFL does Orwell better than anyone could have ever imagined...

"All clubs are created equal. But some are more equal than others."

In my case, I accepted the lamentable inequities that the AFL foists upon clubs like ours some time ago. When October 30 rolls around I'll just be relieved to be thinking about footy trips for 2015 rather than 'why, Bundy, WHY?'

Love the move from the Dogs even if Boyd is untouchable. If you're going to go after our captain we're going to come right back at you and chase your young gun. It's about time somebody turned the tables on one of the new teams.
Ditto - use that freed up salary cap space to hit back hard.

I don't doubt that some will get stuck into the AFL for their fixture. As if we haven't known forever that it's a blatant exercise in maximising revenue and clearly preferencing some club's 'needs' over others. enforcing the AFL's Equalisation policy. :(

In my case, I accepted the lamentable inequities that the AFL foists upon clubs like ours some time ago. When October 30 rolls around I'll just be relieved to be thinking about footy trips for 2015 rather than 'why, Bundy, WHY?'
EFA.
I like your Orwell quote. :D Very very true- and it makes me think of the AFL.

As has been reported...
5.5 million/6 years reported offer to Boyd from the Doggies. Griffen + draft pick for Boyd offered to GWS.

Boyd has played 9 games, so this is a huge call, but I think it is a worthwhile risk for the Dogs.
With their budding youth already in place (Bontempelli, Stringer, McCrae, Liberatore, etc), adding a potential best-forward-in-the-league player with 10+ years ahead of him could be the difference between rising up to contend finals, and rising up to win flags.

Is it possible to agree contracts with clauses for "games played per season" in the AFL?
I imagine it might not be, but that would be a great way for the WB to hedge against injury to Boyd.

Boyd also makes the coaching job more attractive to really ambitious coaches.

Last edited:
Martin/Leuenberger, Beams, Christensen, Rockcliff, Zorko, Redden, Hanley, Rich & a developing soon to be star in Aish & co. Yep that midfield is premiership worthy in a few years time. Seeing as Port are young too but already up & away I have a feeling they may be up there still when Bris and the Saint's get up their next shot (obviously now with GWS/GCS) in the competition. Shame we won't be top 4 again like 04 with those 3 sides

I don't doubt that some will get stuck into the AFL for their fixture. As if we haven't known forever that it's a blatant exercise in maximising revenue and clearly preferencing some club's 'needs' over others.

And their Geelong-specific policy: Two flags good, four flags bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't he have waited until he was at Carlton to injure his foot!?

He was looking at going to Richmond, they are the ones who did the medical on him - not sure how he was going to end up at Carlton

You kind of have to wonder why GWS would keep Boyd now. There have always been rumours about him wanting to return to Melbourne, and if not this year, it looks like it will happen at the end of the next. For a lot of clubs, I'd say that keeping your gun player for another year wouldn't be a bad idea, but considering Boyd is still just finding his feet and the Giants have so many young options, I think they'd be better off getting the best deal they can now and using next year to develop what they have, rather than putting time and development into someone who has openly flagged his intention to leave the club, and will likely do so for less in return next year.

Martin/Leuenberger, Beams, Christensen, Rockcliff, Zorko, Redden, Hanley, Rich & a developing soon to be star in Aish & co. Yep that midfield is premiership worthy in a few years time. Seeing as Port are young too but already up & away I have a feeling they may be up there still when Bris and the Saint's get up their next shot (obviously now with GWS/GCS) in the competition. Shame we won't be top 4 again like 04 with those 3 sides

Saints? Really?

You kind of have to wonder why GWS would keep Boyd now. There have always been rumours about him wanting to return to Melbourne, and if not this year, it looks like it will happen at the end of the next. For a lot of clubs, I'd say that keeping your gun player for another year wouldn't be a bad idea, but considering Boyd is still just finding his feet and the Giants have so many young options, I think they'd be better off getting the best deal they can now and using next year to develop what they have, rather than putting time and development into someone who has openly flagged his intention to leave the club, and will likely do so for less in return next year.
Patton is out for the year, Cameron needs a backup. Who knows how he feels after a year.

I actually don't mind the Dogs trade to get Boyd. The money is stupid for a kid but Griffin wouldn't be in their next flag anyway, a key forward you can build a team around can win you a flag... In a stupidly basic term I see it as an upgrade for pick 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back