List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - blink & you'll miss it

Remove this Banner Ad

Grovedale product Cameron Delaney ready for fresh start at Geelong

ALEX OATES
GEELONG ADVERTISER
DECEMBER 03, 2014 4:45PM

SIX games in four years.

It’s been a frustrating football journey for Cameron Delaney. But the Grovedale product hopes a fresh start might bring new luck as he begins another chapter of his AFL career.

Delaney will step into his new home at Simonds Stadium in a moon boot, having received a lifeline from Geelong in yesterday’s AFL rookie draft.

North Melbourne had committed to selecting Delaney as a rookie but the Cats swooped, drafting him with pick 32 overall.

“I’ve had a rough run with injuries,” Delaney said.

“I was contracted with North for a couple of years and at the end of this season, after a pretty long year on the sidelines, North needed to find a couple of spots on the senior list and I had to be cut.

“They always had the intentions of bringing me back through the rookie list, and they always said to me that they knew if I was up and running I would be back playing good footy for North, but injuries made it tough.

“It’s a big game in this day and age and they’ve got to look at their list and look to the future, I guess.”

Delaney’s manager had put the “feelers” out to find a new home but he was convinced his journey would either continue or end at Arden St.

“I thought that most clubs would be scared off due to my medical record,” Delaney said.

“But Geelong seemed to take a little bit of interest and we had a chat with the club and they were happy for Geelong to jump in front (at the rookie draft) and take me.”

A big toe has been the cause of four interrupted years and multiple surgeries.

“It’s been a bit of wear and tear over the years but over the years it just hasn’t coped the way I would like it to,” he said.

“I had some stress fractures that popped up in the middle of the joint and I had surgery on my left foot at the end of last year and I come back and I had similar problems this year.

“Towards the end of the year they fixed a little crack I had and they straightened everything in a bigger surgery to try and fix everything.”

Drafted with pick 69 in 2010, Delaney debuted in Round 2, 2012 against GWS.

Playing five games in his debut season and the one match in 2013, Delaney missed the entire 2014 AFL season, playing just half a game in the VFL before falling victim to the same toe injury.

“They tried plenty of things leading up to the that, different types of rehab, strapping, footwear but after that VFL game I had a rough time walking in the next few days,” he said.

“I realised I wasn’t going to be able to play with such an injury and that’s when we sat down and put a plan together surgical to see if we could fix it that way.”

Delaney will remain in a moon boot in the weeks leading up to Christmas before easing into training.

“I’m definitely hoping to play this season. After Christmas it would be nice to be up and running and getting a feel for things and to aim for Round 1 would be lovely,” Delaney said.

“It’s been up and down over the last few years, and a few injuries have kept me out, but with a fresh start my luck might change.

“I’m pretty stoked (to be at the Cats). I’m original from Geelong, so it’s nice to be back with family and friends but at the same time I’m a bit torn because I’ve got some great mates up here at the North Melbourne footy club and they are a really good club and they’ve done a lot for me.”

http://m.geelongadvertiser.com.au/s...start-at-geelong/story-fnjuhrhu-1227143863298

Good luck to him. Sounds like a good bloke who circumstance (injury) has held back.

Most likely had also dropped down the pecking order at North too.

I live in geelong there was an article in our local paper interview with cam he said north were asked if they minded geelong taking him

So we're left to presume that Cam's answer was "Hmmmmmmmm, ok f*** it. Take him. Take him now! We give up. Just remember this when we too signal our interest in Dangerfield though, capiche?"

So we're left to presume that Cam's answer was "Hmmmmmmmm, ok f*** it. Take him. Take him now! We give up. Just remember this when we too signal our interest in Dangerfield though, capiche?"
Basically it looks like Geelong has asked the club, whether we were going to pick him up because we had to contractually, or because we really wanted to. We must have said, you can have him. If not, we'll get him with our last rookie pick. In other words, we don't have the faith that his injuries will come good any time soon. Reading between the lines.

That may help explain why we refer to Stephen Wells as The Statue of Liberty!

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

That may help explain why we refer to Stephen Wells as The Statue of Liberty!

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

Or as Lou Reed said..

Give me your hungry, your tired your poor I'll piss on 'em
that's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses, let's club 'em to death
and get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard

This makes me wonder: Why not investigate whether Geelong were after him and therefore instigate a trade? At least you get something out of it.
We didnt have any picks left, coz Cam was going to the Rookie list. You cant trade for a rookie list positional change.

I'm just thinking if we knew for sure Geelong were sniffing (don't know so massive if) then there were ways we could have benefitted, either by turning someone else rookie or dealing with them so we could get something out of it.

If we didn't know then I'm just bitching again, nothing new but always aggravating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back