List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - blink & you'll miss it

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
In the spirit of moving on from the disappointment/ elation of the National draft lets get on with the Rookie draft.
Just to get the ball rolling: Here is a list of names from other phantom drafts I have quickly put together. I have only put Mids and small forwards down as I think we are OK for defenders.

Brenden Abbott
Aidan Anderson
Jake Johansen
William Fordham
Shane Yarran
Ryan Lim
Tom Wilkinson
Jake Maher
Marcus Hamilton
Jack Sinclair
Alex Urban

This guys profile stood out to me:
Jason Castagna: Probably one of the quickest you would see on a footy field but he can run like a mad rabbit sometimes and turn the footy over. Its all a club would have to fix and he would be a real player with elite speed

Question is whether we will still rerookie Cam Delaney after our KPD extravaganza yesterday. I hope he is given a last shot to pull things together.

As posted elsewhere, Lewis did confirm yesterday that we WILL rookie Delaney, and will have 3 more rookie picks.
To add to that, only one of our three picks last night is a definite full back - that's Nielson.
VW has been drafted as a tall midfielder for the future, and Durdin is a swingman who the club hopes can develop into a top line forward.

Question is whether we will still rerookie Cam Delaney after our KPD extravaganza yesterday. I hope he is given a last shot to pull things together.
Brewis said that we would be doing so yesterday I believe.

34. Peter Bampton (SA, Bullocking inside midfielder)

182 cm, 83 kg, 15/4/96
Range: 30-rookie
Style: Brad Crouch/Ben Cunnington
Comparison: Luke Dunstan

Peter Bampton is a big bodied inside mid who should be ready to go season one not dissimilar to Luke Dunstan. Not only is he a high level extractor and clearance winner but his effort to win the ball is unparalleled. His burst speed is good with his ability to create space and distribute by hand reasonable. He's a powerful mover and someone who when he hits, it hurts. His agility and evasion is underrated and on occasion he shows shades of Brad Crouch with ball in hand. He's got elite endurance and impacts most contests. His performances in the SANFL both in 2013 and 2014 have been to a very high standard.

Bampton by foot isn't incredibly great. Normally the ball gets where he wants it to go but he's not someone whose hands you want the ball in. On occasion he blindly bombs it long out of the contest. He has an ability to find outside ball but needs to work on this more. His courage may cause him trouble through his career with his ruthless attack putting him at a much higher risk of injury.

Bampton should replicate Luke Dunstan's impact in his first season. He doesn't have as smooth a running style and isn't as solid by foot but on the inside he's more powerful and has a better burst. Ben Cunnington is perhaps his ceiling, with his ability to dominate games on the inside excellent but he just lacks versatility and other tricks.

Evaluation of his prospects: Bampton is a sure fire bet to make the grade. He's got the readymade game to impact early and keep his spot for a long career - the peak is just the question. Perhaps he lacks the strings to his bow to ever be top tier quality.

50. Aidan Anderson (WA, Exciting small forward)

179 cm, 85 kg, 10/8/96
Range: 40-rookie
Style: Eddie Betts
Comparison: Jamie Elliott

Finding a comparison for Anderson is a bit difficult as he's really quite unique from the current batch of smalls we've got in the AFL. His biggest strength is his smarts - he knows exactly where to position himself, where to lead, where to run, when to kick - he just knows. He's quick without being a speedster and he's very agile with his evasive skills being excellent along with his ability to change direction. He's capable of executing high degree of difficulty kicks but still isn't an elite kick. Like Jamie Elliott he's a far better contested mark than he should be at his height while he's also very solid overhead. Below the knees he's solid but does fumble occasionally and could work on that a little. He's got good core strength and strength in general and is very difficult to tackle. He's able to win his own ball in dangerous spots while also being an excellent kick be it on the run or from a set shot. He is the best small forward in the crop and I'll happily bet that he'll kick 150 AFL goals.

Evaluation of his prospects: I really like him. Some of the best small forwards in the comp are found mid-late draft and I think Anderson could be another. He just gets football.

51. Brenden Abbott (WA - Powerful and Athletic utility)

188 cm, 98 kg, 1/1/95
Range: 30-undrafted
Style: Very poor man's Tom Rockliff

Brenden Abbott is a really interesting proposition. Very much a speculative kind of player, he was overlooked in last year's draft. This year he's gone back to the WAFL and really impressed across the ground. He's the kind of player you take hoping you can mold them in an AFL player as he's not one yet. At 188cm and with 95 kilos, mostly muscle, Abbott is a physically imposing bloke. Despite that size, he's incredibly quick off the blocks and has elite agility and strength. His vertical leap is also excellent. Runs a 2.87 second 20 metre sprint. Possesses a powerful and at times penetrating kick but still needs some work, along with his football smarts. He's able to play nearly everywhere on the ground aside from ruck with his athleticism allowing him to play with the ground level game of a small but his size and leap allowing him to play taller when both forward and back. He needs to build a tank as it's lacking at the moment but with his rare mix of athletic traits, hard nosed game and size he could become a really lethal inside midfielder at AFL level.

Evaluation of his prospects: Abbott is a massive risk. Missing out on the '12 draft by one day, he was passed over in '13. He's had some elite games in the WAFL but also some howlers. His mixture of size, athleticism and boot is just too hard to ignore though - barring smarts he has the whole package and if it comes together he could be something special. That said, I think it's very unlikely it does.

53. Matthew Panos (SANFL, Big bodied inside midfielder/forward)
191 cm, 90 kg, 25/1/91
Range: 40-rookie
Style: David Mundy

Matthew Panos is a really interesting player. Drafted as a key forward and delisted after two seasons, he went back to the SANFL where he excelled as a key forward in 2013. In 2014, he was played for the first time as an inside midfielder and that's where he's built his stocks from. At 191 cm he's the perfect height for a modern day inside midfielder. His big body and natural footballing ability allows him to provide a physical presence on the inside while his clean hands help. While in the midfield he provides an excellent marking option and by foot he excels, making good decisions and executing long and penetrating kicks with ease, really hurting the opposition both inside and out. Despite only having played as a midfielder for one season, he's shown the upside required to instill confidence that he'll continue improving. He's not particularly fast and his endurance is a real issue though and something he's going to need to improve to impact at AFL level on a consistent basis.

59. Ryan Lim (WA - Hard running utility)

186 cm, 75 kg, 20/3/96
Range: 45-rookie
Style: Jasper Pittard

There's a big divide between draft followers about Ryan Lim's kicking. Some have labelled it 'elite' and others have claimed it might be the one thing holding him back from making it in the AFL. I sit in the middle. Lim is capable of playing forward, back or through the middle, with half back and on the ball his two best position. Lim is a courageous battler of a player, with his desire to dive in and win his own ball a highlight. That said, he's not an incredible natural inside player. On the outside he's also capable, with his ability to find the football and link up a highlight. His run and carry is a particular highlight and what I'd be looking to develop and foster further at AFL level. By foot he's capable of executing really difficult kicks but also shanks more kicks than nearly anyone in the draft. If that inconsistency can be ironed out he shapes as a very attractive proposition.

Evaluation of his prospects: He's been very consistent in his inconsistency this year, it's just a matter of whether his good or bad is a more accurate reflection of his game. He's got more potential to make it than most players around here in my eyes.

Tom Wilkinson (Vic Metro - High endurance midfielder)

182 cm, 78 kg, 3/7/96
Style: Andrew Gaff

Tom Wilkinson has a lot of fans and it's not hard to understand why. Quite possibly the highest level endurance athlete in the crop. He finds the ball on the outside and utilises his endurance to accumulate like crazy which has led to his statistical domination of the TAC cup. His finals performances were excellent and should solidify him as an AFL player next year. He also possesses a nice burst and strong hands overhead. Despite all his qualities there's a reason he's not higher on draft boards. He's just a bit one dimensional with his kicking mediocre at best and his hurt factor at times low. He deserves to be a bit higher but it's understandable why he's likely a later selection.

Evaluation of his prospects: Wilkinson has enough game to make the grade but as a primarily outside player at this range in the draft it's always going to be tough. He seems to have the desire and application to get the best of himself so he's going to give himself every opportunity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Glenn (SA, Smooth yet tough utility)

180 cm, 78 kg, 10/3/94
Style: Luke Hodge

Glenn decided not to nominate for the draft last year however I wouldn't read much into that - he doesn't have doubts and doesn't lack commitment, he just didn't want to jump from amateur football to AFL in the space of 18 months. A versatile player, Glenn's best work comes off half back or through the middle. Defensively he's very solid with his attack and determination really good. He doesn't let his opponent get on top and goes hard at it. With ball in hand he runs and carries really well with his kicking exceptional with it being both efficient and penetrating. Through the middle he's still an exceptional user of the football but he's also tough enough to really attack and win his own ball. He just does everything right and he's someone I can see becoming a real high level AFL footballer. I guess a good way to describe him is that he's like those inside midfielders that find a home at halfback - the Vlastuin type except he's also an exceptional kick and outside option too.

Evaluation of his prospects: After a relatively poor combine I think Glenn's stocks are falling. He really struggled in the sprint and at SANFL level he looked like he had real speed. It's a tough one as he is a mature player but he's not testing like one. I think he mightn't be as sure a bet as first thou

Oleg Markov (SA - Athletic midfielder)
187 cm, 73 kg, 8/5/96
Range: 50-rookie
Comparison: Dean Towers

Oleg Markov is one of the bigger risk/reward prospects in the draft. Possessing a rare speed, endurance and leap combination, Markov shapes as a player who'll grab attention at the combine. His father is the Australian outdoor pole vault record holder - so athleticism is in the blood. Despite having a year ruined by injury, Markov still secured a national combine invite. By foot he is reliable but not incredibly damaging yet, and he's got an ability to play forward to a reasonable level. Coupled with his athletic gifts and height he looms as an interesting prospect for clubs. The knock on him is his lack of production - even in the SANFL under 18s Markov rarely features in the bests, generally accumulating between 10 and 20 disposals. Despite his pace, he doesn't have a natural tendency to break lines. He shares a bit in common with former draft prospect Laine Wilkins - who was overlooked. The peak for Markov is a Will Hoskin-Elliot kind of role, while I think Dean Towers is more of an apt comparison.

Evaluation of his prospects: Markov is quite simply very unlikely to make it. Outside players are hit and miss and someone with Markov's record is about as risky as it gets. He hasn't performed as a junior, quite simply. That said, his upside is just irresistable - if he does make it he'll be a vital cog in a side. Big risk though.

Jason Castagna (Vic Metro, Line breaking small defender)

182 cm, 78 kg, 12/6/96
Range: 50-rookie
Style: Heath Shaw
Comparison: Jason Johanissen

Jason Castagna is someone I seem to rate well above others. I just really like what he offers. A half back/midfielder, Castagna really attacks the game like very few others in this crop. He's very quick and is able to change direction rapidly at full pace, he just gets the ball and runs and bounces and runs and bounces. He's also well built and a real physical presence on the field. He's a reasonable intercept player and overhead he's excellent. The real knock on him is his footskills with both his decision making and execution shaky at best. However I think he's got a salvageable style and while he mightn't ever be an elite kick I think he can be a serviceable one. And with that in mind I think he shapes as a real bargain with his running and defensive games exceptional.

Evaluation of his prospects: With Castagna's pace and tendency to run, carry and break the lines, it's a matter of whether Castagna can improve his kicking to an acceptable level. If he can, he could just be a really handy small back/wingman. If not, he'll be too much of a liability.

Mac Bower (SA - Classy utility)

189 cm, 81 kg, 27/1/96
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Style: Matthew Scharenberg

Mac Bower was someone who was considered one of the better prospects in the draft earlier in the season, but an indifferent 2014 has seen him fall away. Having kicked some real bags in the SANFL reserves in 2013, he spent most of his game time in 2014 playing in defence. Capable of playing that third tall role, he's a really smart kind of player who zones off and intercepts well while also making really smart decisions with ball in hand and setting up the play. When forward his leading patterns are very sound which allows him to pose a real threat. With Bower the issue seems to be confidence more than anything else so hopefully in the right system he can make it, as on talent alone he's one of the better players in the crop. His smarts are just rare.

Jake Maher (Vic Country - Hard running wingman)

189 cm, 87 kg, 5/10/96
Range: 60-undrafted
Comparison: Andrew Embley

Looking at Jake Maher's height and weight, you'd think he was a big bodied on baller. That's not the case however, with his best work done along the wings and across have forward. A high endurance midfielder, Maher functions well as a link up option with his tendency to work into space and take uncontested marks and ability to accumulate and provide an option a highlight. With ball in hand he's a bit shaky and panics a bit under pressure. When not under pressure he's okay but not highly damaging with the occasional habit of trying to be too creative. He's capable of winning his own ball too. Maher reminds me a lot of Andrew Embley, with his dimensions similar coupled with a similar style and mentality on the field. An Embley kind of role would be Maher's ceiling but Maher at the moment doesn't possess the same hurt factor.

Evaluation of his prospects: Another injury ruined season - with his big body Maher will be given opportunities. That said the upside doesn't look incredibly high but he still looks an okay bet this late.

Jake Johansen (SA, MID/FWD)

171cm, 63kg, 13/6/96
Range: Rookie-undrafted
Style: Jackson MacRae

The MacRae style comparison again might seem a bit strange but it works, I reckon. It's hard to find a comparison for someone of Johansen's size and role without resorting to the generic Boomer Harvey copout. Johansen's a really high level accumulator. He's fit and he works really, really hard to find space. A lot of his disposals are uncontested marks or loose ball gets in space that he's just outworked his opponent to find. He's also really good at flanking the contest and linkup up while he can also go forward and play as a genuine crumber who hits the scoreboard. He's fast, agile and seems like a dedicated kid who's going to try to get the best out of himself. Despite his size he's strong in the contest and doesn't get outbodied like many his size do. However his kicking is a bit of a weakness with it lacking both penetration and at times execution. It's something I think can be salvaged though and if he gets that together he can be a really good AFL player.

Good to have some rookie draft picks to play with this year. I like the sounds of Jake Johansen personally, and wouldn't mind Peter Bampton as one we could put some work into as inside mid depth. Tyler Keitel as a tall forward option I think would be good option also. Wouldn't say no to a punt on Panos either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back