List Mgmt. 2014 Rookie Draft - blink & you'll miss it

Remove this Banner Ad

I have nothing to go on but somewhere i get the feeling we will use 1 rookie spot to recycle a delisted player from another club.

Maybe:
Josh Simpson
Luke Tapscott
Cadeyn Williams
???

Im sure we had interest in all of these at some stage or another.

I have nothing to go on but somewhere i get the feeling we will use 1 rookie spot to recycle a delisted player from another club.

Maybe:
Josh Simpson
Luke Tapscott
Cadeyn Williams
???

Im sure we had interest in all of these at some stage or another.

After seeing the Nielson thread I'll lock in whoever you and Pykie agree we'll be taking.

Oleg Markov!!!! The pride of mother russia!

He tested really well at the combine

ivan-drago-o.gif

I want us to pick up Ricky Cary from Swan Districts in WA!
Draft hopeful Ricky Cary has been challenged to show he belongs at AFL level when he confronts a daunting defence stocked with West Coast talent in Bunbury this afternoon.
The 22-year-old's importance to kicking a winning score for Swan Districts against league leaders East Perth will be critical with Tim Geappen suspended.
Swans dropped Matt Riggio, Adam Faulkner, Blaine Boekhorst and Matthew Jukes in the wake of their embarrassing loss to West Perth last Saturday.
Captain Tallen Ames (concussion) is also sidelined, meaning Swans have made six changes.
Cary was one of four Swans invited this week to attend the WA draft combine. He has kicked 40 goals this season to be third on the WAFL's goal-kicking tally.
It is a remarkable achievement for the high-leaping forward, given he spent the past two seasons playing reserves
Cary is likely to be marked by Eagles-listed Blayne Wilson or former Port Adelaide back man Nathan Blee at Bunbury's Hands Oval.
Eight West Coast players ran out for East Perth in the previous round, making it a good arena to gauge the progress of 196cm-tall Cary.
The pencil-thin goal kicker is coming off his quietest effort for the season, booting just one goal from three disposals against the Falcons.
Swans coach Greg Harding said Cary was among a group of players who needed to bounce back this week.
"The year has been all about the fast tracking of these young kids and their development and this is just another opportunity against the highest-quality opposition going around, to show that development and take the next step in his career," Harding said.
"Given his shape, given his height, I think he'll test really strongly in terms of speed, agility, vertical leap. Part of his strengths come from not carrying a lot of weight, although sometimes in marking contests and contested situations it can be to his detriment."
Boekhorst, Alex Howard and Dylan Nelson are the other Swans who will go to the State combine.
Tony Notte is likely to start forward against the Royals.
Harding said utility player Tom Smirk would make his debut. Jacob Burnham, Nathan Broad and Jesse Manton were brought straight into the starting 22.
He conceded the Swans were embarrassed against West Perth.
"We felt it's been coming and we also think it's incredibly important that it's happened now, knowing that we've got a month until we actually hit finals," he said.
"The year has been all about the fast tracking of these young kids and their development …" " Swans coach *Greg Harding * on Ricky Cary

These were my early thoughts from the other thread:

Jared Hardisty (WA): hard running midfielder who owned the beep test. Averaged 21 disposal at the Champs and has a reliable left foot. He is strong and evasive inside and reads the play really well. Marks well overhead
What's wrong with this picture: 86kg and 178cm might be considered strong at U/18s, but at AFL level it is just short and fat. And 178cm inside mids have gone the way of the t-Rex and torpedo punt:cry:
Yeah, but....: You don't record a 15.4 beep test unless you've got a great tank and if you can run all day and read the play, why not reinvent yourself as an outside mid.
If he doesn't make it as a footballer: can go on many exciting quests with Frodo, Sam, Pippin and the other Hobbits
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-28/draft-prospect-jared-hardisty

Nick Dixon (vic country/ Geelong falcons):
180cm 74kg inside midfielder who averaged 28 disposals in TAC and the same number for Vic Country in his only game at the Champs. Strong, quick thinker in the contest.
What's wrong with this picture? Like Hardisty is a smallish inside mid and you're already thinking "poor man's Cunners/ JZ/ Spitta/ Dumont/ etc." Plus, Brian Taylor will change his name to Tricky Dick Nixon:mad:
Yeah, but....: he's a ball winning machine...Maybe he could find more of the ball than any of these guys? He also collects a heap of tackles, so could perhaps become a lock down mid/ defender?
If he doesn't make it as a footballer: Will probably eat his own head rather than live in Geelong for the rest of his life
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-22/draft-prospect-nick-dixon

Caleb Daniel (SA) has gone to WB at pick 46: mid/ fwd who smashed it in the last 3 games of the national championship, averaging 20+ disposals and 2 goals. 90+% effective. Evasive and destroyed the beep test.
What's wrong with this picture? He is a genuine midget at 167cm!!!
Yeah, but...: he was good enough to be All Australian. Oh yeah, and there's this guy called Brent Harvey...... (who's taller :eek:)
If he doesn't make it as a footballer: would look good being shot out of a cannon
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/caleb-daniel-highlights

Josh McGuinness (Tas) went to Bris at pick 81:
189cm back flanker/ mid who averaged 26 disposals at 85% eff in div 2 of the champs. He is skinny (listed at 72kg) has good poise in traffic and a really nice right foot - all of which makes me think of Corey Enright on a hunger strike. I like him.
What's wrong with this picture? It's called Division 2 for a reason and the guy may well snap in a strong wind..... And then there's the whole Taswegian brother sister thing..... :oops:
Yeah, but.....: if you can get the ball, avoid a tackle and kick it sweetly to a teammate, isn't that good football?
If he doesn't make it as a footballer: will marry the best looking girl in his family
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-16/draft-prospect-josh-mcguinness

Nathan Drummond - went to Richmond at pick 52
This guy is tipped to go 3rd round or later in the main draft, but could be worth a look with our third pick and I wanted to mention him purely due to his freakish performance at the combine. He finished the combine 1st for: clean hands test 2nd for: repeat sprint, Standing vertical jump, kicking test and goal kicking; 3rd for: beep test; 4th/ 5th for: 3km time trial, running vertical jump and 20m sprint. He averaged 26 touches and a goal at TAC and 15 possessions at the Champs. He's a 181cm and 85kg midfielder and it's also not hard to imagine him burning off his opposition from a flank
What's wrong with this picture? To be honest, I don't know. Maybe he's not prolific enough for the midfield?
Yeah, but...: he is an athletic freak.
If he doesn't make it as a footballer: I don't know. I just had one beer too many. :drunk:
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-16/draft-prospect-nathan-drummond

Get me a few of:
Jermaine Miller-Lewis
Matthew Ah Siu
A mature ager like: Nick Rippon, Jye Bolton, Scott Sherlock, Shannon Taylor ect
Erinn Wasley-Black
Mark Kovacevic
Billy Myers
Caleb Hislop

I really like Nick Rippon and would like to see him get an opportunity, still think we'll take Bolton.

The state leagues were barely touched in the draft so I could imagine the Rookie draft will be a bit like a State League Jumble Sale, with players snapped up all over the place. Any of the watchers have any specials from Werribee or North Ballarat to recommend?

Any info on Mark Kovacevic, not the 1st time i have heard his name mentioned in the last couple of weeks ??

204cm 111kg ruckman that played for the Calder Cannons, quite agile and fast for his size. Carrying a bit of puppy fat but he huge across the shoulders. Kind of like David Hille in build and potential. If we wanted a developing ruckman he'd be a good option as he wouldn't take much physical development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft hopeful Ricky Cary has been challenged to show he belongs at AFL level when he confronts a daunting defence stocked with West Coast talent in Bunbury this afternoon.
The 22-year-old's importance to kicking a winning score for Swan Districts against league leaders East Perth will be critical with Tim Geappen suspended.
Swans dropped Matt Riggio, Adam Faulkner, Blaine Boekhorst and Matthew Jukes in the wake of their embarrassing loss to West Perth last Saturday.
Captain Tallen Ames (concussion) is also sidelined, meaning Swans have made six changes.
Cary was one of four Swans invited this week to attend the WA draft combine. He has kicked 40 goals this season to be third on the WAFL's goal-kicking tally.
It is a remarkable achievement for the high-leaping forward, given he spent the past two seasons playing reserves
Cary is likely to be marked by Eagles-listed Blayne Wilson or former Port Adelaide back man Nathan Blee at Bunbury's Hands Oval.
Eight West Coast players ran out for East Perth in the previous round, making it a good arena to gauge the progress of 196cm-tall Cary.
The pencil-thin goal kicker is coming off his quietest effort for the season, booting just one goal from three disposals against the Falcons.
Swans coach Greg Harding said Cary was among a group of players who needed to bounce back this week.
"The year has been all about the fast tracking of these young kids and their development and this is just another opportunity against the highest-quality opposition going around, to show that development and take the next step in his career," Harding said.
"Given his shape, given his height, I think he'll test really strongly in terms of speed, agility, vertical leap. Part of his strengths come from not carrying a lot of weight, although sometimes in marking contests and contested situations it can be to his detriment."
Boekhorst, Alex Howard and Dylan Nelson are the other Swans who will go to the State combine.
Tony Notte is likely to start forward against the Royals.
Harding said utility player Tom Smirk would make his debut. Jacob Burnham, Nathan Broad and Jesse Manton were brought straight into the starting 22.
He conceded the Swans were embarrassed against West Perth.
"We felt it's been coming and we also think it's incredibly important that it's happened now, knowing that we've got a month until we actually hit finals," he said.
"The year has been all about the fast tracking of these young kids and their development …" " Swans coach *Greg Harding * on Ricky Cary
Matt Riggio, a blast from the past.

12chill posted this

Posted this on the Saints board... here's a quick list of players of interest.
Brenden Abbott, Aiden Anderson, Peter Bampton, Hugh Beasley, Sam Bevan, Jason Castagna, Daniel Capiron, Aaron Christensen, Adam Cockie (our Sandy captain), Jack Cripps, Brett Eddy, Billy Evans, Will Fordham, Joshua Fox, Jack Geary, Josh Glenn,Taylor Grace, Liam Griffiths, Matthew Hammelman, Jared Hardisty, Michael Hartley, Caleb Hislop, Dylan Hodge, Jake Johansen, Tyler Keitel, Jordan Kelly (the ex hawk), Ryan Lim, Oleg Markov, Jermaine Miller-Lewis, Keenan Ramsey, Tyler Roos(Paul Roos son), Ahmed Saad, Haiden Schloithe, Matt Uebergang, Alex Urban, Erin Wasley-Black, Jesse Watchman, Francis Watson, Callum Wilkie, Tom Wilkinson.

HAWTHORN premiership player Rick Ladson says AFL clubs would be "mad" not give country football star Jack Geary a shot at the big time next season.

AFL.com.au understands Geary, a teammate of Ladson's at Bendigo Football League club Golden Square, is on the radar of AFL recruiters.

The 23-year-old "beast" is the only bush footballer chosen to play for the VFL's International Rules side against Ireland at Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Sunday.

Ladson said if recruiters weren’t looking at Geary, then they weren’t doing their jobs.

"You don't come across them too often, the ones like Jack, that have the running capacity, the strength, the speed and the skill level to go with it," Ladson told AFL.com.au.

"His leadership quality, for a young guy, is something I haven't seen too often either in my time down in Melbourne.

"(Recruiters) aren't doing their jobs if they're not looking at him, put it that way."

Geary, who played TAC Cup for the Bendigo Pioneers, has long been a star of Victorian country football.

The strongly built, dreadlocked, six-foot utility also has a history of lifting his game up to higher levels.

In July, Geary was awarded one of Vic Country's two best afield medals for his efforts in defence in a loss to Metro.

Previously he has captained the Vic Country under-19s, won two best-on-ground medals during Square's run of five-straight flags and this year he skippered the BFL's senior interleague team to victory.

Geary's third quarter in Golden Square's fifth flag is already the stuff of folklore, after he inspired his side to turn a four-point half-time deficit into a match-defining lead at the final change - despite kicking into a breeze.

"A lot of people look at country footy and go 'If he hasn’t done it at VFL level then it's not worth even looking at'," Ladson said.

"If you look at the games where he's really stood out (such as) our Grand Final last year … I still thank him every day for it, his third quarter.

"It was one of the best 30 minutes of footy I've seen from someone his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back