2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

It'd be a lot easier to accept if people would stop posting pictures of that ******* punchable face. :mad:
Which face? This one?

what-up-robbo.jpg

Meh, provocation is an over-used excuse. There are 9 clubs in Melbourne with around 340 players in the same fishbowl. They're not all punching on at music festivals and nightclubs.

I think you've had a fair enough crack at this bloke. How about now, if we do pick him up, you and others here delay judgement until you see how he goes.

All this stuff about denying others a game- seriously, there were games last season in which we were appalling. Some "efforts" took me back to the Fat Chris Johnson days. We were playing kids whose development simply didn't justify their selection, and fair enough because the cupboard was bare.

I watched enough reserves games to recognise that we did not, probably do not, have enough depth. We already start behind the Victorian, SA and WA clubs because we don't have an adequate reserves competition. That we didn't perform well in the NEAFL this year says it all about where we are at.

We have to improve our side pretty obviously, and our recruitment to date seems to have us on track.

Seeing it will be the same people who have recruited Christensen and Beams as might pick up Robinson, maybe we should accord them the same level of respect for their judgement.

He will be a depth player, but I think we need a few. I also want have my man DJ Roj as the sole club whipping boy. Bring him on I say.

I think you've had a fair enough crack at this bloke. How about now, if we do pick him up, you and others here delay judgement until you see how he goes.

All this stuff about denying others a game- seriously, there were games last season in which we were appalling. Some "efforts" took me back to the Fat Chris Johnson days. We were playing kids whose development simply didn't justify their selection, and fair enough because the cupboard was bare.

I watched enough reserves games to recognise that we did not, probably do not, have enough depth. We already start behind the Victorian, SA and WA clubs because we don't have an adequate reserves competition. That we didn't perform well in the NEAFL this year says it all about where we are at.

We have to improve our side pretty obviously, and our recruitment to date seems to have us on track.

Seeing it will be the same people who have recruited Christensen and Beams as might pick up Robinson, maybe we should accord them the same level of respect for their judgement.
I trust only the first line is directed at me, as I haven't made mention of players being denied opportunities.
So, as for;
I've already said as much.

I'm in favour of getting Robinson. The more fringe players have to work in order to get senior games the better. I'm not sure where we will end up this year, but I definitely think we will see more consistent performances across the board. Young players will have to work a bit harder to crack the team, but I believe it can only benefit us in the long run.

More than happy for this to apply across the board when posters start premature judging players. As long as people don't pick and choose when they want to be non-judgmental and when they are happy to wade in boots and all with a limited evidence base. I'd hate to see hypocrisy develop.

More than happy for this to apply across the board when posters start premature judging players. As long as people don't pick and choose when they want to be non-judgmental and when they are happy to wade in boots and all with a limited evidence base. I'd hate to see hypocrisy develop.
That would never happen here. I have no idea where this would come from or what you are talking about.

Has anyone seen or heard much of Mitch Brown (from Geelong). I remember him being talked up as Geelongs great young tall and now hes been delisted, anyone got some more thoughts on him?

EDIT: Could he even be out "Schultz"? Plucked out of obscurity to flourish when put infront of an improving midfield? Listed at 196cm/93kgs so should be the right size for permanent forward.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen or heard much of Mitch Brown (from Geelong). I remember him being talked up as Geelongs great young tall and now hes been delisted, anyone got some more thoughts on him?

EDIT: Could he even be out "Schultz"? Plucked out of obscurity to flourish when put infront of an improving midfield? Listed at 196cm/93kgs so should be the right size for permanent forward.
Plays backline mainly IIRC. Nothing too impressive about him really, pretty unremarkable player.

Got to be careful relying purely on stats. I'm involved at TAC Cup level and I've lost count of the young men we've had over 190 who just couldn't play top shelf footy. Size and shape certainly get you a longer look, but if Mitch Brown can't deliver then there's not much any coach can do.

Goodness, struggling to grasp all the angst here about Robinson. Despite our draftees and new acquisitions we still have a very young list and still lack depth in our list, our NEAFL results would seem to support this. We really give up nothing for a guy who we at least know can play at the AFL level who is able to provide that presence in our reserves midfield so we can develop our youngsters in areas we want them to without having to do the heavy lifting if that's not what's required. He also adds depth to our list. We've gotten rid of guys like Polks and Raines who helped play those roles, it makes sense to bring in someone to fill that void.

Not every player on a list will be a star and sometimes not every player on that list needs to be picked up with the ultimate aim of playing in our AFL side. Sometimes players can be there in order to help the development of others. If we get more out of them, great, but if not so be it.

good point. Remember Fevola everyone was saying we will dominate and he is the messiah etc but he had a lot worse off field problems then a few scuffles... I also remember voss black and co getting in a pub fight... Where was the pitch forks then?? Give the bloke a chance ffs. Hypocrites that don't even want a look in at Robinson are deluding themselves... If he was an a grader like Ben Cousins everyone would want him... Almost happened as well and when I was a lurker a s**t load of posters were hoping for him in the PSD. Hypocrites!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good point. Remember Fevola everyone was saying we will dominate and he is the messiah etc but he had a lot worse off field problems then a few scuffles... I also remember voss black and co getting in a pub fight... Where was the pitch forks then?? Give the bloke a chance ffs. Hypocrites that don't even want a look in at Robinson are deluding themselves... If he was an a grader like Ben Cousins everyone would want him... Almost happened as well and when I was a lurker a s**t load of posters were hoping for him in the PSD. Hypocrites!!!
Who would you rather have though a young midfielder that could turn into another Rockiff or a player that brings nothing to the team but off field trouble

Who would you rather have though a young midfielder that could turn into another Rockiff or a player that brings nothing to the team but off field trouble

That's a pretty useless argument to be honest. You've taken the two opposite extremes and expressed them like they're fact. Lets have a crack.

Would you rather have a young player who could turn into the next Patrick Wearden and never play an AFL game after a few years on the list or another Martin Pike who despite a chequered past is a valuable member of a successful team.

Now neither are likely to be correct and who knows which way it goes but to speak like they're the two only outcomes is pretty poor.

I still don't see it as likely. The only evidence I've seen is newspaper article referencing that we enquired early in draft period, but really, if we were after that sort of player, I'd have thought we'd have kept Polks and Raines. The club has been phasing out fringe players in the 25-28 age bracket - I don't see them bringing another one in.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the club bring in an "upside potential" DFA from the 20-23 age bracket.

if we dont take mitch robinson and personally im not fussed but think there are better options, but i was thinking instead if him what about either james strauss or taylor hunt would they be better pick ups

if we dont take mitch robinson and personally im not fussed but think there are better options, but i was thinking instead if him what about either james strauss or taylor hunt would they be better pick ups

Better options? Have to disagree. We have a free hit to pick up Robinson, who is quite skilled and tough. The only question is him personally and I've seen the fight videos at music festivals. Looks like a right DH yes.

That being said, give him a 1 year contract and show that he's determined to be on an AFL list. Unlike Fev who had a huge contract, if Robinson gets involved in another 4am punch up, tear up his contract. He knows it will be his last chance. If he gets his mind together and focuses on football, he would be a great enforcer type player for us and help out with all our young players who get pushed around a bit.

For me, it's a no-brainer: sign Robinson on a 1 year deal :)

P.S - people comparing Robbo to Polks or Raines, are kidding themselves. This guy can play football.

Last edited:
Which face? This one?

what-up-robbo.jpg
I don't think we should draft anyone who is a sad rap gangsta wanna be. Mitch Robinson, Straight outta Compton? Not quite ... Straight outta the mean streets of Hobart. Please!

I still don't see it as likely. The only evidence I've seen is newspaper article referencing that we enquired early in draft period, but really, if we were after that sort of player, I'd have thought we'd have kept Polks and Raines. The club has been phasing out fringe players in the 25-28 age bracket - I don't see them bringing another one in.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see the club bring in an "upside potential" DFA from the 20-23 age bracket.
Aaaaaactually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back