2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid showed enough in his first 2 seasons to demand a 5 year contract from one of the best and well run clubs. He is quality.
Yes his best is quality but he has had injuries and is inconsistent. The Swans signed him before they got Buddy. He is also not worth pick 5 in my opinion.

Assuming we get pick 5 I'd trade it for him. IMO the chances of drafting someone at pick 5 who ends up better than Reid would be slim. If their first pick and our second pick were free I'd push for a swap of picks as well but I can't see that happening.

He's an average defender / forward; pick 5 can and probably should produce a better player than Sam Reid o_O

But wasn't Reid recently signed on a five year contract? If so, why would he come to us on a three year deal?

Recently = two years ago. He's got three years left at the moment, comes out of contract at the end of 2017.

Beams could be ray of hope for the Lions

Despite the club heading for a $3 million annual loss, the Lions are still prepared to show prospective recruits some serious money. Beams would be a fantastic get - he turns 25 next February and is both reaching the peak of his powers on-field, and cleaning up his act off it. He is also a Queenslander, and his brother Claye is entrenched at Brisbane. Coach Justin Leppitsch is already excited about having Stefan Martin, 27, Tom Rockliff, 24, Pearce Hanley, 25, and Zorko, 25, rejoined in the midfield by injured trio Matthew Leuenberger, 26, Jack Redden, 23, and Daniel Rich, 24, next season - he would be drooling at the prospect of slotting Beams in there too.

But even if Beams wanted to jump into the millionaire hotseat at Brisbane, Collingwood and its president Eddie McGuire hold the cards. The midfielder is contracted until the end of 2015, and isn't a free agent until 2016. What would it take for the Magpies to come to the trade party? The Lions' No.4 pick in the draft? Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger? Both? Of course, quality forwards are hard to come by and Brisbane will be wary after its experience with recruits Jordan Lisle, Luke McGuane, and Jackson Paine (13 games, three goals combined in 2014) and, let's not forget, Brendon Fevola. And the Lions certainly won't be alone in having a player to fill that position near the top of its off-season shopping list as recruiters and list managers start going to market from Monday.

SSH_29-08-2014_SHARED_24_SSH_beams28_t300.jpg

nice pic they went for

Geez Tom Bell is improving steadily upwards. Would love to bring him back to Queensland. Would add some nice size to our midfield rotation.

He's very average in my opinion. Has had a couple of decent games. I'd hate to think he'd be in our best 22.

He's very average in my opinion. Has had a couple of decent games. I'd hate to think he'd be in our best 22.

If we are building thst 28 or so players to challenge for a flag in coming years he would fit the bill nicely on the fringe I reckon. They cant all be stars. Would be hard to poach him cheap enough for that role though.

If we are building thst 28 or so players to challenge for a flag in coming years he would fit the bill nicely on the fringe I reckon. They cant all be stars. Would be hard to poach him cheap enough for that role though.

Yeah I see him being 25-28th on a decent list. Our depth should be pretty strong in a couple of years though if we don't lose too many.

Channel 7 brought it up in the coverage. Anyone hear Mike Sheahan spruke the Dayne Beams rumour?

You know what that bit on Seven sounded like, to me it sounded like Brian Taylor was repeating an off the record comment made by Leigh Matthews in private on air. By the time he realized what he was saying wasn't for public consumption both he and Richo tried really hard to distance Leigh from those comments. Maybe we have Beams convinced and just have to get the deal done. Pick 4 or 5 enough? Be nice.

You know what that bit on Seven sounded like, to me it sounded like Brian Taylor was repeating an off the record comment made by Leigh Matthews in private on air. By the time he realized what he was saying wasn't for public consumption both he and Richo tried really hard to distance Leigh from those comments. Maybe we have Beams convinced and just have to get the deal done. Pick 4 or 5 enough? Be nice.
Here's hoping. The only flaw I see in that logic is who would willing want to talk to Brian Taylor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's hoping. The only flaw I see in that logic is who would willing want to talk to Brian Taylor?
Too true but Leigh does work with him so probably doesn't have a lot of choice. Be nice, and it's a Collingwood player which would be even sweeter again.

Is there any realistic chance of us recruiting Dayne Beams this year? Surely not. The Magpies would ask for way to much considering he is under contract.
But if he were to leave next year they'd get worse than the pick 4/5 we'd offer now. Their compensation pick would be about 8-10.

I think the chances of Beams asking for a trade is extremely small and the chances of a trade happening are even smaller.

Yeah I can't see Collingwood being anything but stubborn though and demanding a package such as pick 4 and James Aish.[/QUOTE
Yeah I can't see Collingwood being anything but stubborn though and demanding a package such as pick 4 and James Aish.

To be honest I don't think they have an option, once/if Beams asks to be traded they have to accept out pick 4/5, because the players and fans would hate him if he stayed after requesting a trade

I think the chances of Beams asking for a trade is extremely small and the chances of a trade happening are even smaller.
We haven't had a good 'Operation get "insert name"' for a while though.

:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back