2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder is under contract and as such will be far too expensive to trade for, especially as he doesn't really fill a hole regarding our needs.

In my view the Lions need an established key forward to replace Brown and an inside midfielder to add to the three R's. For the first, Ryder is not the answer. Trading for a contracted Beams is far more palatable. At least Beams fills a need.

The other alternative is that we wait, develop some more youth and perhaps pick up a young key forward with Pick 4-5 and target someone else coming out of contract, or a FA to fill a medium to short term need either this year or at the end of 2015. That's what I'd like to see anyway.

GC have delisted Allen, Hutchins, Taylor, Warnock and Osborne - don't think there's anything we'd look at as a DFA if we do go down that route for a player or two.

Thought Allen looked okay as a fairly fleet of foot defender but obviously injuries/NEAFL form didn't do enough for him to keep a spot.

Any thoughts?

GC have delisted Allen, Hutchins, Taylor, Warnock and Osborne - don't think there's anything we'd look at as a DFA if we do go down that route for a player or two.

Thought Allen looked okay as a fairly fleet of foot defender but obviously injuries/NEAFL form didn't do enough for him to keep a spot.

Any thoughts?

Smirking at the fact that they chose Warnock over Zorko. That's about it.

Surely we would wait until next year to get Beams when he becomes a restricted free agent?
Be a lot cheaper trade wise wouldn't it?

Surely we would wait until next year to get Beams when he becomes a restricted free agent?
Be a lot cheaper trade wise wouldn't it?

He's not a free agent till end of 2016.

I feel like I've made this post 10 times in the last 3 days :p

He's coming up for Ryder's wedding.
It's actually a secret Lions recruitment drive. Sam Reid and Jayden Post will be there too.

Can we just put it in the thread title?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about that is, it means we probably have to trade for him this year or the next, unless he signs a one year extension (that's a bit awkward for Beams to do though).

It would be satisfying doing a St Kilda or a Carlton to Eddie's mob next year. Probably not the right thing to do though - I'd rather we go down the Port path and at least attempt to give a decent trade.

The Ryder rumour is very interesting on a few levels

`1. He would be a great fit for us, can play forward, ruck and chb. The beauty about Ryder, like a fit Luey and Martin is there ability to compete at ground level and chase out of the forward line. Great athletes!
2. Greg Swann is a star, talking about our cap space was great, puts Brisbane on the trade map.
3. Could Ryder be the first of the don't want to play for Hird camp? Bombers are in a tough position legally

I wouldn't mind testing Jack Hutchins, surprised they delisted him, worth a look!

Still think Ryder is more of a ruckman than a forward. We don't want 3 ruckman in the best 22 (look at Eagles).
Essendon mob thinks he is one of their MBP's so he must be alright. But would rather try and trade for a forward than convert a ruckman. Otherwise we may as well just have Martin/Leuy in the forward line.

The Ryder rumour is very interesting on a few levels

`1. He would be a great fit for us, can play forward, ruck and chb. The beauty about Ryder, like a fit Luey and Martin is there ability to compete at ground level and chase out of the forward line. Great athletes!
2. Greg Swann is a star, talking about our cap space was great, puts Brisbane on the trade map.
3. Could Ryder be the first of the don't want to play for Hird camp? Bombers are in a tough position legally

I wouldn't mind testing Jack Hutchins, surprised they delisted him, worth a look!

Interesting post, but I disagree regarding Ryder. I honestly think we have more important holes to fill first. A gun midfielder and a KPF are what I have in mind... I'm not sure how well Luey, Martin and Ryder could work in the same team honestly.

Any thoughts?
I'd take a punt on Allen. Has great footskills and seemed to have some pace as well, he could play as a shutdown small defender that we need. Warnock is a half decent shut down player and should get picked up at a contender like Freo, Hawks or Port possibly. Not much else there.

And apparently Sydney were chasing him. Could be true that he wants out with Brisbane his preferred destination.

He could be a free agent at the end of 2015 If the AFLPA gets their way though, right? Not something I'd be basing a trading strategy on but a possibility.

Fingers crossed we don't screw up team culture this trade period, we are only just getting the culture sorted hate to see it take two steps back just to get a big name in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back