2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus mate, I know it's some time since we've seen Daniel Wells at his best but honestly he was "plenty" explosive before his hamstrings and other leg injuries, one of the most naturally gifted footballers to ever pull on a footy boot before injuries cut him down IMO. I honestly believe he would have "Charlie" hanging around his neck if injuries hadn't intervened.

Okay I think you're overshooting a little there. Daniel Wells no doubt could have been elite...

But if there's one thing that Wells and Milera are actually lacking in, it's pure top end speed. And I'm talking top, top end, not the 20m break away from the pack burst speed. That's something that McLeod did have, which is why I thought Wells might have been a slightly better comparison than the great Macca.

Also, haven't seen much of him yet and it may be too early to tell, but I highly doubt Milera is as good as Macca was on his weak foot.

Anyways, we are really nit-picking at things here now...

Anyone who thinks Riley wont be missed is forgeting how good he was at the backend of last year. Has excellent skills and remember it was his perfectly weighted kick that Tex marked to pass to Charlie that won us that game against dogs.
DJ75 how could club be annoyed with him enjoying his time off water skiing I assume. Were they given instructions to avoid these types of things or is there more to it.
He has to live life ......can't sit home and do nothing .....sometime accidents just happen

Okay I think you're overshooting a little there. Daniel Wells no doubt could have been elite...

But if there's one thing that Wells and Milera are actually lacking in, it's pure top end speed. And I'm talking top, top end, not the 20m break away from the pack burst speed. That's something that McLeod did have, which is why I thought Wells might have been a slightly better comparison than the great Macca.

Also, haven't seen much of him yet and it may be too early to tell, but I highly doubt Milera is as good as Macca was on his weak foot.

Definitely more wells than McLeod

Like the comparison although the Shaun Burgoyne one is pretty good as well

Or go to Crows Training sessions and post training reports ........Errrh No

Or go to watch SANFL games to see upcoming Crows Players .....Errrrh No

So i highly doubt your view that Crows posters have studied Hampton, Menzel or Seedsman playing for other teams is likely at all

So only the 2-3 people who have performed said tasks can have a stab at our 22?

I guess the rest of us better find a thread where we're qualified to have an opinion.

So only the 2-3 people who have performed said tasks can have a stab at our 22?

I guess the rest of us better find a thread where we're qualified to have an opinion.
Frankly i take anyones opinion on Menzel, Seedsman or Hampton with a grain of salt .....because yes there's no basis for the opinion other than a guess or hope

Feel free to correct me if you can prove otherwise

Or go to Crows Training sessions and post training reports ........Errrh No

Or go to watch SANFL games to see upcoming Crows Players .....Errrrh No

So i highly doubt your view that Crows posters have studied Hampton, Menzel or Seedsman playing for other teams is likely at all
give me a break, this whole board, hell the whole website is just full of ******* amateurs who just like to talk footy AND THAT INCLUDES YOU!

just because you were prepared to drive over from Melbourne to go to a throwaway open training session doesn't make you crowned expert of the board.

go piss on someone elses fun mate, there's nothing wrong with people throwing together the teams they'd like to see Round 1. If you want to put a ban on that you may as well shut down the bloody website down.

give me a break, this whole board, hell the whole website is just full of ******* amateurs who just like to talk footy AND THAT INCLUDES YOU!

just because you were prepared to drive over from Melbourne to go to a throwaway open training session doesn't make you crowned expert of the board.

go piss on someone elses fun mate, there's nothing wrong with people throwing together the teams they'd like to see Round 1. If you want to put a ban on that you may as well shut down the bloody website down.
Be aware that's not why i drove over ....something far more important than a training session

Don't mind fun .....but don't present it and argue it as if you have an informed opinion ....just put a disclaimer "i don't know what i'm talking about ...i am simply having childish fun "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Be aware that's not why i drove over ....something far more important than a training session
well I sincerely hope all is well

Don't mind fun .....but don't present it and argue it as if you have an informed opinion ....just put a disclaimer "i don't know what i'm talking about ...i am simply having childish fun "
perhaps add the bold to your signature, as no matter how many hours you've watched any given player in action - any comment on how well they're going to play this year is just as speculative as anyone elses "gut feeling", just like the so-called experts who try to tip the Melbourne Cup every year.

well I sincerely hope all is well
no it didn't ......and sitting here with Gastro since Tuesday doesn't make for a loveable pre-disposition .....apologies for being short with you ;)

perhaps add the bold to your signature, as no matter how many hours you've watched any given player in action - any comment on how well they're going to play this year is just as speculative as anyone elses "gut feeling", just like the so-called experts who try to tip the Melbourne Cup every year.
Too long to add

Frankly i take anyones opinion on Menzel, Seedsman or Hampton with a grain of salt .....because yes there's no basis for the opinion other than a guess or hope

Feel free to correct me if you can prove otherwise

Those three players have a played a combined 140 matches of AFL football!

They might not be established veterans but that's a fair sample size to form even a small opinion.

How good was Macca on his weak foot when he was 18?

Those three players have a played a combined 140 matches of AFL football!

They might not be established veterans but that's a fair sample size to form even a small opinion.
Only if youve followed them ......which i contend the majority haven't .......you might have a statistical knowledge if your a fantasy team player, but that's not a proper assessment IMHO

When watching you'll note the offensive flashy stuff .....but not the small things, the gut running and defensive actions that we study with Crows players

I've watched 5-6 games of Menzel ......he was rubbish .....but apparently the views of those that haven't watched him carries more weight ......follow that logic

It's a fair point azza77 makes, and it's one of the reasons I wasn't huge on Milera pre-draft - he doesn't have that lightning burst that is characteristic of many of the players he will inevitably be compared to. What he does seem to have is incredible evasiveness, that ability to walk slowly through congestion while it all moves around him.

If he can combine that with decision making and skill level, we will have a hell of a player on our hands.

Just wondering, as I haven't any experience with training elite athletes, nor have I followed it closely enough to know.

Can sprint training develop a player (such as Milera) into a far better burst player/30 meter sprinter than your other average AFL player? Say he does 50% more sprint focused training than the average. Leg weights, repeat sprints etc

Milera looks in good Nic for a first year recruit, but his drivers seem slightly lighter than ideal for someone of his height to be quick out of the blocks.

I understand explosiveness comes naturally to those who truly have it, but can you develop it enough to go from VB to say Vince? From barely a puff of smoke to a small firework, not necessarily a block of C4 like we had in Dangerfield.

Edit: Hope I'm not on some kind of watch list after that last paragraph :(

Last edited:

When someone presents their best 22 in the preseason, they don't need a disclaimer, we are smart enough to work out it is just their opinion and obviously not fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back