2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't think he'd be in the sprint if the cats were in the GF - ergo, the cats will not be in the GF year after year.

Was that the punchline?
Got it in one.

I'd expect many more GF Sprint medals than GF medals (if any) on the mantelpiece for the kids to reminisce over

Hendo’s best asset is supposed to be his run and long kick, but rarely does he hit a target. He will just bomb it long and to put it in Dwayne Russell’s words, “makes it someone else’s problem.”

His defensive pressure is non-existent and he has no physical presence. He panics under pressure, and even when does get a lot of the ball he’s the turnover king along with VB.

Andy Otten is another defender I don’t rate highly. I know he’s been cursed by injury, but Otten should be insurance for us. We need to persist with Lever and Kelly instead.

The locks for our back half: Talia, Laird, Kelly, Lever, Smith, Jaensch.

Second tier defenders (depending on form, structure and/or injury): Brown, Hampton, Seedsman, Hartigan.

Break glass in case of emergency: Otten, Shaw

Never again: Hendo, VB and Mckay (eeeeeeeeekkkkk).

Note: Seedsman, Hampton and Smith can also be utilised on the wing/midfield.
Brown ain't no second tier defender these days

He would have to be among the best few shut down small defenders in the league led by nick smith

Has this been posted yet? If it has a second time can't hurt.

Riley "Guns" Knight
414091-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg
Forget the guns, look at those hammies!

Our back half start of the season...Talia, Hartigan, Lever, Brown, Laird, Smith, Seedsman.
Jaensch is at least 5 months away from playing AFL and would barring any mishaps comes back into the side after a month with the SANFL side.
Talia is a lock.
Hartigan is a lock in the backline for at least another year, no one else at this stage has his height, bulk and speed. Expecting him to come on again this preseason.
Lever is your third tall lock. Hoping to see him really expand on his attack from defence, needs to clean up his kicking disposal.
Brown is one who needs to add more attack to his repertoire. He is our best small lock down defender, but needs to hurt his opponent the other way as well.
Laird is a lock as one of your attacking half backs.
Smith will stay at half back and rotate with Seedsman up onto the wing, whether Knights or Grigg could play the other wing position and allow Sloane to play in the guts more.
Hampton is another one who may be a surprise winger next season. Adding Seedsman and Hampton has given us the outside speed than none of the below names have been able to do.

I can't see how VB, Mackay, Hendo, Shaw or Otten play again for the AFL side unless of injuries. Our SANFL side is going to smash teams thou if they are all fit.
Don't forget Milera , wouldn't surprise me if he adapted quickly to AFL football

His brain thinks v quickly

If he keeps getting through pre season he's a good chance to play ahead of Hampton who hasn't been in full training

Brown ain't no second tier defender these days

He would have to be among the best few shut down small defenders in the league led by nick smith

Agree......

Can't understand why Brown Is so under rated by this board

Must be because he doesn't score high DT points however his job is to stop the dangerous small forward, getting a heap of possessions is secondary

Agree......

Must be because he doesn't score high DT points however his job is to stop the dangerous small forward, getting a heap of possessions is secondary
correct - him and talia have similar roles, one on KPF and one on dangerous smalls

anytime they win plenty of the ball is a bonus, something they can work on, but not how they will be judged

VB pulled out of a marking contest against Hawthorn last match of last year was for me the action of a man lacking confidence and form. Terrible manoeuvre in a final. Should have been dragged and must be dropped. If you can't perform on that day, what is the point?

He's there for experience. Swapping him out for a more talented junior will turn us into melbourne overnight.

Agree......

We only value those roles from fwds and wingmen. And then only if they've got a few seasons under the belt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree......

Not just on this board. People in general just see he gets 8-10 possies a game and assume he's not that good. He's huge for us back there, almost as important as Talia.

How about Sloane plays Sloanes's role and B Crouch plays B Crouch's role and no one plays Danger's game because he isn't at the club anymore. Game plans evolve, other players move into roles that are similar but everything changes.
sloane needs to be at the coalface more, he was played on the periphery as we didn't have any natural outside players or 2 way runners

now that danger is gone sloane is ready to step up in a more central role

b crouch will just do what he does but sloane's role will change and he will win more possession because of it

How about Sloane plays Sloanes's role and B Crouch plays B Crouch's role and no one plays Danger's game because he isn't at the club anymore. Game plans evolve, other players move into roles that are similar but everything changes.

But what about Dmac's elite run and carry. I can't go through a season of 'changes v' threads without that being thrown in my face each week.

Luke Browns'average possessions in 2015 were 12.5 per game. Not bad for a bloke that has nothing to offer the other way. Check out the May 9 Gold Coast game and watch him burn his opponent. He's a terrific lockdown defender and we haven't yet seen the best of him offensively. Absolutely 1st 22, not 2nd string.!

Okay in order place who would be first 'picked' for our team from those below:

Talia
Jacobs
Walker
Brown
Smith
Sloane
Betts
Walker. Goals + leadership wins matches.
Jacobs. Big influence, starts every play
Talia. Stops their best forward
Smith. Rebound and linking to forward line immense
Sloane. Gives it all every game
Betts. Goals and pressure
Brown. Stops best small forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back