Competitions 2015 Adelaide Oval Attendance Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

It's ridiculous.

Cast your mind back to the game that served as the dead canary that eventually brought football back to the Oval.

28315 versus Essendon on a sunny Sunday afternoon for a Round 1 clash that people had 6 months to get amped for. Haysman, having gone over the books, took the unprecedented step of implementing reduced staffing (locked gates, closed kiosks) to save on costs.

We still lost money.

Fast forward 6 years, we get 33000 to Adelaide Oval to watch us take on a farcical club bringing five of its eleven supporters, our season is gone and you get clowns making tarps references.

The ascendant Scray could only get 20000 to their smashing of us - and we brought a substantial support - and no-one says a freaking word.
The double standards is s**t, but this game had everything to reduce the crowd. Timeslot our fans don't like, opposition with no fans to boost non-season ticket numbers, not in finals contention, opposition side missing top players - so not even the spectacle factor. And with all that we've largely established that our floor figure for games is 33k. Farking hell, 3 or 4 years ago we'd be happy if we pulled that early season against a 'Big 4' Vic club before our season was shot.

The club still has work it can do to boost crowd figures, IMO. I wasn't able to attend yesterday, but was able via a Port ticket sell/swap page ensure all 4 were used, but the club needs to work with Ticketmaster to make reselling tickets (were the owner gets a cut) much easier. And sell 3 game memberships involving access to the likes of GWS, Bulldogs, Melbourne, St. Kilda, North Melbourne (hahah, as if they'll play here before 2025!) for much less. I don't give a * if that offends those clubs, they pull * all supporters of their own to games, so we need to maximise attendance at these games by other means. And make tickets for these games available much earlier to try and get them sold over a longer period of time.

The double standards is s**t, but this game had everything to reduce the crowd. Timeslot our fans don't like, opposition with no fans to boost non-season ticket numbers, not in finals contention, opposition side missing top players - so not even the spectacle factor. And with all that we've largely established that our floor figure for games is 33k. Farking hell, 3 or 4 years ago we'd be happy if we pulled that early season against a 'Big 4' Vic club before our season was shot.

The club still has work it can do to boost crowd figures, IMO. I wasn't able to attend yesterday, but was able via a Port ticket sell/swap page ensure all 4 were used, but the club needs to work with Ticketmaster to make reselling tickets (were the owner gets a cut) much easier. And sell 3 game memberships involving access to the likes of GWS, Bulldogs, Melbourne, St. Kilda, North Melbourne (hahah, as if they'll play here before 2025!) for much less. I don't give a **** if that offends those clubs, they pull **** all supporters of their own to games, so we need to maximise attendance at these games by other means. And make tickets for these games available much earlier to try and get them sold over a longer period of time.
Agree with everything you said except for the timeslot. Saturday twilight is a decent timeslot for us. From our Sat twilight games so far, we got over 33k v Coll in 2013, sold out the Showdown in 2014 and got over 42k v St Kilda last year also in 2014. Had we been playing good footy this year and still been in the race for finals, the crowd would have been around the 40k mark.

Had we been playing good footy this year and still been in the race for finals, the crowd would have been around the 40k mark.

Yep, agree.

We have to face it that there are fair weather supporters at every club, including ours.

Plus the 10K of Crows supporters who buy 3-game memberships to attend the away Showdown would have stayed home to watch the Essendon reaming.

Plus the 10K of Crows supporters who buy 3-game memberships to attend the away Showdown would have stayed home to watch the Essendon reaming.
Very droll. Seriously though there are the Stadium members who would favour one team or the other. Removing the two clubs playing the same day (unless it's early Saturday and Saturday night) would help maximise the attendance of these supporters at both SA clubs games.

It's ridiculous.

Cast your mind back to the game that served as the dead canary that eventually brought football back to the Oval.

28315 versus Essendon on a sunny Sunday afternoon for a Round 1 clash that people had 6 months to get amped for. Haysman, having gone over the books, took the unprecedented step of implementing reduced staffing (locked gates, closed kiosks) to save on costs.

We still lost money.

Fast forward 6 years, we get 33000 to Adelaide Oval to watch us take on a farcical club bringing five of its eleven supporters, our season is gone and you get clowns making tarps references.

The ascendant Scray could only get 20000 to their smashing of us - and we brought a substantial support - and no-one says a freaking word.

In the first 20 minutes the commentary team notes the voice of the Port fans - louder than the Dogs to that point :(

People are just waiting for the other shoe to drop and our crowds to disappear because our success was obviously a bandwagon element and 25-30k is the norm. You see, if we can maintain high crowd numbers even when there is nothing to play for, the pressure mounts on s**t clubs like Norf and the Bulldogs to approach the level we achieved in two years.

When we get 60k again next year - and we will, you'd have to be stupid to not realise that things can turn around pretty quickly especially with 80 rotations and no sub coming in - it will be royal commission time at Arden St.

WE will turn it around, but North, who recruited a bunch of last chance heroes like they were topping up for a flag, that is going to bite them in the **** big time when the changes kick in, but it won't be Royal Commission time at bloody Arden St, because short memory Vic journos :(

Cull the dogs.

The obvious first option would have been a genuine Dogs-North merger.

Then you turn the Saints into the Tassie Devils.

I'l get mah coat :drunk:

The club still has work it can do to boost crowd figures, IMO. I wasn't able to attend yesterday, but was able via a Port ticket sell/swap page ensure all 4 were used, but the club needs to work with Ticketmaster to make reselling tickets (were the owner gets a cut) much easier. And sell 3 game memberships involving access to the likes of GWS, Bulldogs, Melbourne, St. Kilda, North Melbourne (hahah, as if they'll play here before 2025!) for much less. I don't give a **** if that offends those clubs, they pull **** all supporters of their own to games, so we need to maximise attendance at these games by other means. And make tickets for these games available much earlier to try and get them sold over a longer period of time.
Exactly, we have established that our floor is 33,300. Some Vic clubs would be happy to have that as an average.

Looks like the AFL webz is even :$ to announce the doggies Etihad home game attendances.

View attachment 163109

According to AFL Tables it was 27,805. That's a good crowd for the Dogs.

Edit- the Dogs have already had their 11 home games now for an average crowd of 23,487. Barely up on 22,265 for the 2014 Dogs. I guess they didn't have great timeslots but you'd say the hardcore Dogs would have turned up at anytime to see Bevo's Bulldogs given how well they're playing.

They got 32,000 average crowd in 2009 when they were flying high. Make of that what you will. #wannauseourtarps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything you said except for the timeslot. Saturday twilight is a decent timeslot for us. From our Sat twilight games so far, we got over 33k v Coll in 2013, sold out the Showdown in 2014 and got over 42k v St Kilda last year also in 2014. Had we been playing good footy this year and still been in the race for finals, the crowd would have been around the 40k mark.

- 31,121 vs Collingwood, 2013. We were up and about with a whiff of finals for the first time in six years and SA's significant Collingwood base always come out in solid numbers.

- 50,397 vs Adelaide, 2014. Well, yeah. They could play that on a Tuesday morning at 4am and just about pack it out, let alone the opening of football at Adelaide Oval.

- 42,374 vs St Kilda, 2014. Team's flying (10-1) and St Kilda have more than three fans living here. An excellent figure.

To get 32,346 to a dead rubber against GWS - more than we got to the aforementioned blockbuster against the Pies at AAMI in 2013 - is a testament to our crowds, not a negative.

Sure it'd be lovely to get a minimum of 40k each week regardless, but it's just not feasible, especially with a fair chunk of our membership demo having competitive sport of their own on Saturdays. I'm almost certain had the GWS game been a 7:10 start we'd have got 38k+.

According to AFL Tables it was 27,805. That's a good crowd for the Dogs.

Edit- the Dogs have already had their 11 home games now for an average crowd of 23,487. Barely up on 22,265 for the 2014 Dogs. I guess they didn't have great timeslots but you'd say the hardcore Dogs would have turned up at anytime to see Bevo's Bulldogs given how well they're playing.

They got 32,000 average crowd in 2009 when they were flying high. Make of that what you will. #wannauseourtarps?

I was at that game - no way the ground was half full - 1/3 at most - they must be getting tips from our SMA

One more game each for both of us, so here's an update. Our highs are higher but our lows are also lower.

We started off pretty well. By the time we had played our 8th match, our average was 600 higher than the Crows. Unfortunately, due to consecutive games against low-crowd-scoring St Kilda and GWS in our worst time-slot (early afternoons), our average bombed by 2,300. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

But let's consider some context. Is 33,281 really that bad? As tribey pointed out, no, it's not.

We got more people to a dead rubber against GWS this year than we did in against Collingwood in 2013. Fun fact: it's also more than the Crows got in a final in 2012. If this were the AAMI era, particularly the post-07 debacle, we'd be lauded. Yet, these days, we hear calls for tarps. Strange, considering that our lowest crowd of 2015 eclipses the average AFL crowd this year by 721 people.

So, what other crowd-related things have we got to look forward to with 2 rounds to go in the season? Not much, unsurprisingly. According to my figures, we'll need 44,901 against Fremantle in the final round to beat last year's average, which is possible, but unlikely. What's even more unlikely is overtaking the Crows. Even if we max out the official capacity of AO, 53,500, we'd still need the Crows to have a crowd of 15,858 this weekend. Stranger things have happened, so fingers crossed!

upload_2015-8-28_13-23-27.png

One more game each for both of us, so here's an update. Our highs are higher but our lows are also lower.

We started off pretty well. By the time we had played our 8th match, our average was 600 higher than the Crows. Unfortunately, due to consecutive games against low-crowd-scoring St Kilda and GWS in our worst time-slot (early afternoons), our average bombed by 2,300. Nobody to blame but ourselves.

But let's consider some context. Is 33,281 really that bad? As tribey pointed out, no, it's not.

We got more people to a dead rubber against GWS this year than we did in against Collingwood in 2013. Fun fact: it's also more than the Crows got in a final in 2012. If this were the AAMI era, particularly the post-07 debacle, we'd be lauded. Yet, these days, we hear calls for tarps. Strange, considering that our lowest crowd of 2015 eclipses the average AFL crowd this year by 721 people.

So, what other crowd-related things have we got to look forward to with 2 rounds to go in the season? Not much, unsurprisingly. According to my figures, we'll need 44,901 against Fremantle in the final round to beat last year's average, which is possible, but unlikely. What's even more unlikely is overtaking the Crows. Even if we max out the official capacity of AO, 53,500, we'd still need the Crows to have a crowd of 15,858 this weekend. Stranger things have happened, so fingers crossed!

View attachment 167219
Our average attendance still shits on the Crows considering how many extra 11 game members they have.

Our average attendance still shits on the Crows considering how many extra 11 game members they have.
I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

The Adelaide average of 46,563 is unequivocally greater than our average of 44,310, regardless of membership distribution. It doesn't "s**t on" the Adelaide crowd in any way at all.

I mean, yeah, sure, if we engage with the idea that we're the "little brother", then, yeah, we've probably exceeded our expectations to a greater degree than Adelaide has, but that's not necessarily something to be proud of. I mean, it's fantastic that we've exceeded our expectations, but to claim that we "s**t on" the Crows for that reason is laughable, because, on an implicit level it states that we shouldn't be held to the same standard and, ergo, are inherently inferior.

We're not. We shouldn't be happy until we've literally overtaken their average. That is when we can take a s**t on their desk.

I'm not sure I follow your logic here.

The Adelaide average of 46,563 is unequivocally greater than our average of 44,310, regardless of membership distribution. It doesn't "s**t on" the Adelaide crowd in any way at all.

I mean, yeah, sure, if we engage with the idea that we're the "little brother", then, yeah, we've probably exceeded our expectations to a greater degree than Adelaide has, but that's not necessarily something to be proud of. I mean, it's fantastic that we've exceeded our expectations, but to claim that we "s**t on" the Crows for that reason is laughable, because, on an implicit level it states that we shouldn't be held to the same standard and, ergo, are inherently inferior.

We're not. We shouldn't be happy until we've literally overtaken their average. That is when we can take a s**t on their desk.
Listen to Koch's interview then

Listen to Koch's interview then
Short and vague, homie, I have no idea which interview that is. What is the gist of it?

Also, if you undergo appellative acronymisation (i.e. OGC), and then rotate it 90-degrees clockwise, it becomes:
ogc-logo-192_666388f.jpg

Short and vague, homie, I have no idea which interview that is. What is the gist of it?

Also, if you undergo appellative acronymisation (i.e. OGC), and then rotate it 90-degrees clockwise, it becomes:
ogc-logo-192_666388f.jpg
Ok well point taken. Maybe shitting was an exaggeration. They (Crows) have had a good year on field plus there is great support (pathos) for the team since Walsh tragic passing and they see their team is on the up with Campo, is playing good football and might play finals plus they have more 11 game members. We have had a pretty crap year compared to last year and are not that far behind Crows crowds is my point. Koch was on TripleM yesterday to make a few points.

View attachment 167219
How can crows and port have 10 games each and both have 1 home game each to go to make 11 each, but the crows v geelong game was cancelled?

For our attendances to grow on last year we need 45625 at the game.

Going to be a big ask.
I was hoping for 50k for a chance at the RAA prize. I see the Camries are giving away a car again funded by some generous chardonnay sipping benefactor and Chapman. It's about time some rich Port benefactor (do such people exist?) gave away a Renault.

I was hoping for 50k for a chance at the RAA prize. I see the Camries are giving away a car again funded by some generous chardonnay sipping benefactor and Chapman. It's about time some rich Port benefactor (do such people exist?) gave away a Renault.

Bill Vis would be a reasonable suggestion.:)

How can crows and port have 10 games each and both have 1 home game each to go to make 11 each, but the crows v geelong game was cancelled?
They don't. In the 'seventh' spot I just inserted a number so that the line continued from six to eight.

This imaginary crowd isn't calculated in the average

Remove this Banner Ad

Back