2015 Division 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm leaning towards Eltham for this weeks game. Will the comp leading goal kicker be back from his holiday to Thailand, I mean his knee injury in time to play this week?

Was he on holiday or did he receive state of the art lars surgery on a Thai beach? :D:D

Would love to see him back but they have named him every week since he was carried off and sent to hospital with his injury at North and I doubt he will do a Lazarus unfortunately.

As I said you need to play 3 games, if a so called player hasn't played 3 games he will be ineligible. So if he played VFL he needs to have played 3 games. its clear cut, 5 (a) says 3 games 5(b)(ii) 3 games , 5(f) directs a VFL player to 5(a) 3 games. Its not difficult and its been around for years. If there has been an ineligible player, played the club will lose the game, I suspect somehow the player in question has qualifed.

Only reading half the rules has not helped you. What people are saying is he IS qualified but the rules are ambigious and possibly wrong in the ethical sense of local football.

Suspecting somehow that he has qualified another way is incorrect, as hermon01 said and as I witnessed (and others) he only tokenly played three reserve games and is now BOG in senior finals.

**** he's good though.

Better than good, kid can play and probably does not deserve question marks around his qualification, especially as a Greensy local. Actually neither do Greensy, they have done everything right for years to build and be on the brink of history (have to be odds on to win 5 out of 6 premierships in 2 years) however, this instance leaves a sour taste in some peoples mouths, mine included, they did not need to do this to win the flag. Just my opinion.

Better than good, kid can play and probably does not deserve question marks around his qualification, especially as a Greensy local. Actually neither do Greensy, they have done everything right for years to build and be on the brink of history (have to be odds on to win 5 out of 6 premierships in 2 years) however, this instance leaves a sour taste in some peoples mouths, mine included, they did not need to do this to win the flag. Just my opinion.

I do agree to a certain extent. Certainly needs to be a tightening, but often this stuff is hard to police, is it not?

That is the point of this. The player qualified by having his name on the RESERVES team sheet 3 times during the year. He obviously didnt play. A VFL player on the reserves sheet. No goals in any game. Not in the best 6 in any game. Just sign the sheet and thats all you have to do. The rule needs to be changed.

If what ONTHEPROWL has said earlier is true about going onto the ground and touching the centre square. The loophole seems to be what constitutes playing and that would almost be impossible to be enforced. Once you ve been on the ground you ve played. You can't change that . If the rule was changed to have to have played 3 in the seniors to qualify, some teams would just play these guys in the reserves in which they are qualified to give their reserves an advantage. The only option seems to be to raise the amount of games a player needs to play.

with the VFL changing their rules every second day i wouldnt be surprised if they established a rule where players do not nominate a local club, and purely become players of that VFL club.

I understand with Collingwood VFL not having a reserves team, this makes it difficult, but its only a matter of time before players have to make the call to become a permanent VFL player, or simply play at their local club. None of this back and forth garbage.

It needs to be compulsory that each VFL team fields a side in the development league.

Someone out there have any information on the big fella from Eltham getting 4 weeks MRP last week. Eltham wont miss him as all he does is go around and try and knock blokes over after they have got rid of it....Throws his weight around cannot play!!!

Someone out there have any information on the big fella from Eltham getting 4 weeks MRP last week. Eltham wont miss him as all he does is go around and try and knock blokes over after they have got rid of it....Throws his weight around cannot play!!!

ordinary call. 140+ A Grade games over his career. Unfortunate incident but that is footy.

Uneducated comment from you

Cannot play? The bloke is probably the best tap ruckman in the league in the reserves, and is in his mid 30s. Will definitely be missed by eltham but our depth should be able to cover him.

Uneducated call....140+ Games ...Wow how long ago Pal???? Unfortunate???? Doubt it..

You have given him a fair clip in your post and its unwarranted. Its one incident at an unfortunate time, being a final. he has been fantastic for the group and one of the reasons why they are in the last 3 for 2015.

I don't keep tabs on when he last played but i reckon it would of been 2012 or 2013 when he played A grade footy last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have given him a fair clip in your post and its unwarranted. Its one incident at an unfortunate time, being a final. he has been fantastic for the group and one of the reasons why they are in the last 3 for 2015.

I don't keep tabs on when he last played but i reckon it would of been 2012 or 2013 when he played A grade footy last.

Unfortunate incident or unfortunate timing? You don't get four weeks for nothing.

Seeing we are going with U words, I'll go with undisciplined. Talk about letting your side down.

with the VFL changing their rules every second day i wouldnt be surprised if they established a rule where players do not nominate a local club, and purely become players of that VFL club.

I understand with Collingwood VFL not having a reserves team, this makes it difficult, but its only a matter of time before players have to make the call to become a permanent VFL player, or simply play at their local club. None of this back and forth garbage.

It needs to be compulsory that each VFL team fields a side in the development league.

You still need a permit from the VFL to play at local level which is easy to come by, so I have no problem with the back and forth issues. I think the development league is a waste of time for the players its not even up to senior standard. The VFL is caught in-between two worlds, a AFL reserves comp or the old VFA.

You still need a permit from the VFL to play at local level which is easy to come by, so I have no problem with the back and forth issues. I think the development league is a waste of time for the players its not even up to senior standard. The VFL is caught in-between two worlds, a AFL reserves comp or the old VFA.

Agree the Developement League is a TOTAL waste, the sooner it is gone the better. The cost of running this by the VFL and the VFL Clubs would be better served going into local football and Junior Developement.

I do agree to a certain extent. Certainly needs to be a tightening, but often this stuff is hard to police, is it not?
Could easily be policed.

This is my simple idea to avoid these loopholes and make a fair system. Obviously the specific number of games could be adjusted.

VFL Snrs or Development league needs to play at least 4 SNR NFL games to qualify for the NFL SNR Finals.

VFL Snrs or Development league to play at least 4 to Reserves and no more than 6 at a higher level Including Local Snrs, VFL, VFL Dev to play Reserves Finals.

Simple. As stated this would stop them being able to throw them into the reserves finals. Stop them qualifying blokes who haven't played a senior game ect.

The four ins for Macleod this week will give them their best team on the park for nearly twelve weeks. Will either set them up nicely for a crack at Greensy or it could all come crashing down. Gotta roll the dice but!

Are they fit or even match fit though?

Are they fit or even match fit though?

Missing 4-5 weeks each is the worry. All would have played last week if it was sudden death. Plenty of work have been put into them to have them right but match fitness is a different thing. Looks like Langford may not come in but.

Last edited:
Missing 4-5 weeks each is the worry. All would have played last week if it was sudden death. Plenty of work have been put into them to have them right but match fitness is a different thing. Looks like Langford may not come but.

I hope so, member of my cricket club is young Jack.

I've watched a bit of VFL footy and the development leagues, and the standard has dropped a bit over the last 12-24mths however the top 2 sides in Willy & Box Hill would compete well against the local teams especially on the bigger grounds. The remaining teams do struggle like the Northern Blues.
I do agree the development league needs some reinventing otherwise it may be on the way out.
So with regards to players there are some who would be sought after but agree some just make up the numbers.

Great 39 point win by Macleod today. A few players back from injury made a big difference including Liam Brandt (half brother of Jake King) who played a great game.
Should be a good grand final next Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back