NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulls Departures -

Best-and-fairest winner Sam Lloyd and runner-up Hamish Shepheard have joined Deniliquin Rams, while former captain Brent Marshall is off to Mernda.

John Jorgensen (Wangaratta Rovers), Kain Proctor and Neville Jetta (Fitzroy Stars), Kyle Green (Thomastown), Jedd Longmire (Corowa-Rutherglen), Ben McNiece (Queensland) and Kyle Wheatley (South Morang) have also departed, McKernan TBC

Bulls Departures -

Best-and-fairest winner Sam Lloyd and runner-up Hamish Shepheard have joined Deniliquin Rams, while former captain Brent Marshall is off to Mernda.

John Jorgensen (Wangaratta Rovers), Kain Proctor and Neville Jetta (Fitzroy Stars), Kyle Green (Thomastown), Jedd Longmire (Corowa-Rutherglen), Ben McNiece (Queensland) and Kyle Wheatley (South Morang) have also departed, McKernan TBC

Is this from the Herald article? Looks like they missed Young leaving, based on reports here.

New coach Heath Scotland excited to put his stamp on NFNL power Bundoora​

New Bundoora coach Heath Scotland is excited by the opportunity to put his stamp on the NFNL Division 1 club after several key players departed.

New Bundoora coach Heath Scotland says the club has a clean slate for 2024.
After leading Deer Park to an EDFL Division 1 flag, Scotland takes the reins at Yulong Reserve from Michael Ryan.

The Bulls are coming off back-to-back NFNL Division 1 grand final appearances but have lost a number of key players so far this off-season.

John Jorgensen (Wangaratta Rovers), Kain Proctor and Neville Jetta (Fitzroy Stars), Kyle Green (Thomastown), Jedd Longmire (Corowa-Rutherglen), Ben McNiece (Queensland) and Kyle Wheatley (South Morang) have also departed.

Shaun McKernan’s 2024 home is yet to be confirmed.

Scotland believed Bundoora still had a strong foundation.

“Turnover comes at every club every year so I’m not too worried about that,” he said.

“When I look at footy clubs, when you’re heavily reliant on senior players or your age demographic is really old and then you lose a few that can impact you.

“With such a young group – high energy, a lot of talent – I’m looking forward to getting in and getting my hands dirty and teaching as best I can.

“I come in here with a fresh set of eyes with no pre-conceived ideas of individuals or the footy club … it’s a great opportunity for a clean slate for everybody.

“The players should feel energised, I’d like to think, because I’m coming in with a fresh set of eyes so there’s opportunities for all and I’m looking toward to an energised pre-season.”

Scotland was introduced to Bulls players on Monday night with Rob Maiorana, Danny Younan and Nathan Thomas as assistant coaches and Rob Bolzon locked in to lead the reserves.

New recruit, former Montmorency defender, Michael Fitz-Gerald was also in attendance.

Scotland, a 268-game player at Collingwood and Carlton and Blues best-and-fairest winner, has coached Darley to a Ballarat league premiership, led WRFL club Hoppers Crossing and tasted flag success again this year at Deer Park.

After parting ways with the Lions he was looking at taking a year out of the game before Bundoora reached out.

He said he’s looking forward to putting his stamp on the Bulls.

“It all happened pretty quickly actually, a couple of days it was announced the club reached out,” Scotland said.

“We had a meeting and I was really impressed and my research of the footy club, I’m not too familiar with the northern suburbs but know a lot of people involved.

“I was really impressed with what the club stood for, their values and my values seemed to align really strongly.

“One thing that was appealing to me was a young, talented list – keen and eager – so that development opportunity to work with the whole club.

“No disrespect to where I’ve been but the club I was at was really big on buying talent, so it was a high turnover – an IPL type set up, come in, come out.

“Working with the whole club, 19s through reserves and seniors, I’m excited to implement some of my methods and teach from my experience.”

On Monday night, Bulls president Paul King said a huge amount of work had been put into strengthening the club’s reserve grade numbers.

After back-to-back premierships, Bundoora finished last with just two wins this year but are confident it has the players to ensure the club has depth throughout the grades in 2024.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New Bundoora coach Heath Scotland is excited by the opportunity to put his stamp on the NFNL Division 1 club after several key players departed.

After leading Deer Park to an EDFL Division 1 flag, Scotland takes the reins at Yulong Reserve from Michael Ryan.

The Bulls are coming off back-to-back NFNL Division 1 grand final appearances but have lost a number of key players so far this off-season.

John Jorgensen (Wangaratta Rovers), Kain Proctor and Neville Jetta (Fitzroy Stars), Kyle Green (Thomastown), Jedd Longmire (Corowa-Rutherglen), Ben McNiece (Queensland) and Kyle Wheatley (South Morang) have also departed.

“Turnover comes at every club every year so I’m not too worried about that,” he said.

“When I look at footy clubs, when you’re heavily reliant on senior players or your age demographic is really old and then you lose a few that can impact you.

“With such a young group – high energy, a lot of talent – I’m looking forward to getting in and getting my hands dirty and teaching as best I can.

“I come in here with a fresh set of eyes with no pre-conceived ideas of individuals or the footy club … it’s a great opportunity for a clean slate for everybody.

“The players should feel energised, I’d like to think, because I’m coming in with a fresh set of eyes so there’s opportunities for all and I’m looking toward to an energised pre-season.”

Scotland was introduced to Bulls players on Monday night with Rob Maiorana, Danny Younan and Nathan Thomas as assistant coaches and Rob Bolzon locked in to lead the reserves.

New recruit, former Montmorency defender, Michael Fitz-Gerald was also in attendance.

Scotland, a 268-game player at Collingwood and Carlton and Blues best-and-fairest winner, has coached Darley to a Ballarat league premiership, led WRFL club Hoppers Crossing and tasted flag success again this year at Deer Park.

After parting ways with the Lions he was looking at taking a year out of the game before Bundoora reached out.

“It all happened pretty quickly actually, a couple of days it was announced the club reached out,” Scotland said.

“We had a meeting and I was really impressed and my research of the footy club, I’m not too familiar with the northern suburbs but know a lot of people involved.

“I was really impressed with what the club stood for, their values and my values seemed to align really strongly.

“One thing that was appealing to me was a young, talented list – keen and eager – so that development opportunity to work with the whole club.

“No disrespect to where I’ve been but the club I was at was really big on buying talent, so it was a high turnover – an IPL type set up, come in, come out.

“Working with the whole club, 19s through reserves and seniors, I’m excited to implement some of my methods and teach from my experience.”

On Monday night, Bulls president Paul King said a huge amount of work had been put into strengthening the club’s reserve grade numbers.

After back-to-back premierships, Bundoora finished last with just two wins this year but are confident it has the players to ensure the club has depth throughout the grades in 2024.

““No disrespect to where I’ve been but the club I was at was really big on buying talent, so it was a high turnover – an IPL type set up, come in, come out.”

Is he basically admitting to salary cap cheating 😆

Eltham don’t appear to have announced much except for resignings and two vfl listed boys

They’ll get slaughtered if they don’t add to last years squad

Last edited:
Eltham don’t appear to have announced much except for resigning as and two vfl listed boys

They’ll get slaughtered if they don’t add to last years squad
Yep, need a couple of regular week in week out recruits.

I’m not 100% sure but come round 1 pending VFL availability potentially

Owen
Mayley
McCormick
Woods (retired?)
Weatherald (retired?)
Bongettii (retired?)
Frazer (retired?)
Avramov (retired/moving)
Merkle (retired?)

Not sure if all these guys are 100% retired just the pub talk. 9 guys out and at this stage no one to replace them besides 2s and 19s

They’ve actually got quite a good core of young fellas but need to recruit to compliment them.

Note he says he likes to develop 4 clubs in 4 years

SWOOPINGTIME

Note he says he likes to develop 4 clubs in 4 years

SWOOPINGTIME
How many clubs you coached Swoop?

Have met the guy twice - nice enough. Never listened to him coach. Who really knows?

Sounds like he feels bringing through young guys is the way forward - that will need patience?

Heidelberg doing the same THIS year. Could Mont steal one with big coin?

Banyule will make finals

Nth H - Heatly the best coach in it - who knows what he can do.

What a year👍

Chump

Last edited:
How many clubs you coached Swoop?

Have met the guy twice - nice enough. Never listened to him coach. Who really knows?

Sounds like he feels bringing through young guys is the way forward - that will need patience?

Heidelberg doing the same THIS year. Could Mont steal one with big coin?

Banyule will make finals

Nth H - Heatly the best coach in it - who knows what he can do.

What a year👍

Chump
I don’t think Mont has improved their weekly list at this stage. If they can get all the VFL guys on the park come finals different story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back