NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

wow it going to be tough for resa to get a decent coach at this stage and with their past few seasons it not really an attractive position. Hopefully they will be able to get a team up it would be hard to get players to do such an early pre season when they are really on a hiding to nothing most likely see more number after January Hopefully
They are in deep crap. I feel bad for their players who’ve signed contracts.

They are in deep crap. I feel bad for their players who’ve signed contracts.
If you signed a contract based on the coach being there, and he throws the towel in, would you have justification for a clearance elsewhere?

Not looking good either way :-(

HS article

Justin George and Reservoir have parted ways just two weeks into pre-season training​

Justin George accuses Reservoir of not paying him for the 2023 season amid a bitter end to his two-season tenure as coach of the Mustangs.

Justin George’s two years at Reservoir has ended acrimoniously.

George and the Mustangs confirmed on Wednesday they had parted ways following a dispute over club operations.

The departing coach has accused the NFNL Division 3 club of not paying him for the 2023 season.

Senior assistant Tom Service and reserves coach Brett Walker have been installed as interim co-coaches until a new coach can be found.

George labelled Reservoir a “s--tshow”.

“There’s three reasons, I haven’t been paid for 2023 and despite repeated assurances from the club, it’s almost December and I haven’t been,” he said.

“I negotiated a two-year extension but in October they reneged on that deal and offered me a one-year deal because, in their words, they thought they could find a better coach.

“The third reason was when Adam Smith stepped away as football operations manager, the executive put a new person in without consulting me with zero experience and he thought it was his job to tell me how to coach.

“I had a meeting with the executive on Monday and they said ‘you’re not working well with other people at the club’.

“If they think they can do better, go for it guys, you’re an absolute s--tshow of a club, Adam and I rebuilt it over the last two years and now you decide you’re going to take it over.”

“It’s really disappointing it’s ended up like this, recruiting had gone well and we had some good numbers on the training track.”

Under George, Reservoir broke a 1715-day drought, winning the club’s first game since 2017 in 2022 with victory over Lalor and have beaten the Bloods four more times since.

However, the club hasn’t been able to come close to the competition’s other teams.

The club has announced three new recruits for 2024, Murphy Del Rosario, Chris Hill and Jake Lynch.

The search will now begin for a new coach with applications closing on December 12.

Reservoir president Ben O’Brien said it was unfortunate but issues at the club had become untenable.

“It’s not ideal but, to be honest, if something like this is going to be sorted out it’s better now than in April,” he said.

“We caught up with Justin on Monday at training, myself and the club vice-president, just to run through a couple of issues that had cropped up during the pre-season.

“In the course of those discussions it became apparent to all three of us that our view of things and Justin’s view of things were not longer in alignment.

“We agreed it would be best for us to part ways. I’m not going to go into what the specifics were.”

Asked whether the club had paid George, O’Brien had no comment.

“We don’t discuss financial settlements or arrangements, players or staff, in a public forum,” he said.

“Justin is welcome to say what he thinks but we won’t be making any comment.”

Reservoir’s coaching change will mean five of the now 11 Division 3 clubs will have new leadership in 2024 with Old Paradians, Epping, Heidelberg West and Kinglake already locking in new coaches.

HS article

Justin George and Reservoir have parted ways just two weeks into pre-season training​

Justin George accuses Reservoir of not paying him for the 2023 season amid a bitter end to his two-season tenure as coach of the Mustangs.

George and the Mustangs confirmed on Wednesday they had parted ways following a dispute over club operations.

The departing coach has accused the NFNL Division 3 club of not paying him for the 2023 season.

Senior assistant Tom Service and reserves coach Brett Walker have been installed as interim co-coaches until a new coach can be found.

“There’s three reasons, I haven’t been paid for 2023 and despite repeated assurances from the club, it’s almost December and I haven’t been,” he said.

“I negotiated a two-year extension but in October they reneged on that deal and offered me a one-year deal because, in their words, they thought they could find a better coach.

“The third reason was when Adam Smith stepped away as football operations manager, the executive put a new person in without consulting me with zero experience and he thought it was his job to tell me how to coach.

“I had a meeting with the executive on Monday and they said ‘you’re not working well with other people at the club’.

“If they think they can do better, go for it guys, you’re an absolute s--tshow of a club, Adam and I rebuilt it over the last two years and now you decide you’re going to take it over.”

“It’s really disappointing it’s ended up like this, recruiting had gone well and we had some good numbers on the training track.”

Under George, Reservoir broke a 1715-day drought, winning the club’s first game since 2017 in 2022 with victory over Lalor and have beaten the Bloods four more times since.

However, the club hasn’t been able to come close to the competition’s other teams.

The club has announced three new recruits for 2024, Murphy Del Rosario, Chris Hill and Jake Lynch.

The search will now begin for a new coach with applications closing on December 12.

Reservoir president Ben O’Brien said it was unfortunate but issues at the club had become untenable.

“It’s not ideal but, to be honest, if something like this is going to be sorted out it’s better now than in April,” he said.

“We caught up with Justin on Monday at training, myself and the club vice-president, just to run through a couple of issues that had cropped up during the pre-season.

“In the course of those discussions it became apparent to all three of us that our view of things and Justin’s view of things were not longer in alignment.

“We agreed it would be best for us to part ways. I’m not going to go into what the specifics were.”

“We don’t discuss financial settlements or arrangements, players or staff, in a public forum,” he said.

Reservoir’s coaching change will mean five of the now 11 Division 3 clubs will have new leadership in 2024 with Old Paradians, Epping, Heidelberg West and Kinglake already locking in new coaches.
Just shut the doors.

HS article

holy hell that's one hell of a wack from Justin on the way out and it sounds like a lack of clarification of roles the footy ops manager is normally a conduit between the committee and coach and a coach does all the work on the park and sets the bar for training and game day

holy hell that's one hell of a wack from Justin on the way out and it sounds like a lack of clarification of roles the footy ops manager is normally a conduit between the committee and coach and a coach does all the work on the park and sets the bar for training and game day
Don’t see this much, must have ended very poorly.

Not paying the coach is pretty poor behaviour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly my take is this reflects poorly on the coach. I think he would and should regret airing his dirty laundry via the media.

Reservoir wouldn’t be the first club to be needing time to finalise there outstanding financials. I’m sure there is more to this.

Labelling the club a sh*t show is an interesting take after claiming he re-built but then complaining about club governance and then criticising the role being carried out by a football ops manager.

I honestly felt the mustangs were getting themselves on the right path. Enormous setback for both parties.

Last edited:
Honestly my take is this reflects poorly on the coach. I think he would and should regret airing his dirty laundry via the media.

Reservoir wouldn’t be the first club to be needing time to finalise there outstanding financials. I’m sure there is more to this.

Labelling the club a sh*t show is an interesting take after claiming he re-built but then complaining about club governance and then criticising the role being carried out by a football ops manager.

I honestly felt the must were getting themselves in n the right path. Enormous setback for both parties.
I think he will regret it once he reflects.

I think he will regret it once he reflects.
He won’t. The guys an A Grade flog. Aggressive, demeaning and downright arrogant. Puts himself above ALL others. Can’t believe it took them this long to f**k him off. If they haven’t paid him, not a smart move, but I’d be shocked if it were true.

I honestly felt the mustangs were getting themselves on the right path. Enormous setback for both parties.

Justin is in his right to say it how it is. He provided a service for a fee that was agreed upon. It only reflects the club. Having been a long-term viewer of Div 3 football.

It is possible that Justin was using the money he was supposed to receive to pay the players. I have witnessed such cases in the past. It is difficult to carry on when someone promises you something and then the operations manager tells you a different thing. It's like selling someone a dream and then snatching it away from them.

How can you tell a guy we'll sign you for 2 years, than say if something better comes along your out. Thats jus plain wrong

Ressa will continue because the individuals at the club and the die-hard player they have don't know any other way - They continue to be mediocre because that's all they know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back