NFNL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes agre
Stars will play finals. Farrant is a freak and when available Thorpe will be the best key forwards in Div 3 with Close from Ivanhoe. Proctor, Karpany and Stars latest recruit who was announced yesterday added to Burns will match any midfield. Stars were a fair way off last year but have added 8 quality players before you add in Jetta and possibly Betts and Wells when available.

Watched D2 VAFA Parkside vs Yarra Valley Grand Final and was some good players running around the ruckman from Parkside would be up there as one of the best players in Div 3 NFNL but doubt either side would’ve played finals last year in Div 3, from what I seen West would’ve beaten both by a few goals. Still think both sides coming in from VAFA with strong recruiting will push for top 5.

I’m sure top sides in D1 VAFA would be right up there in NFNL Div 3 but I watched Parkside vs Yarra Valley in the D2 VAFA Grand Final at Coburg this season and neither of them sides would’ve beaten Heidelberg West who just failed to make finals in Division 3.

Yea agree with that. I also don't think either of them (Parkside or Manningham) would have made the D1 VAFA final 4 last year either.

The big thing is that it looks like ALL teams are improving their list from last year and we should have some great match ups every week.

Chump.

Last edited:
Having watched a fair bit of local footy I think our 2023 list would have been near the bottom of Div 3 NFNL - we struggled in D1 VAFA (effectively div 4). That said our 2022 premiership team had several past NFNL Div 1 & 2 players, AFL and VFL and just some good local guys. It was a very strong side that would have made the four in NFNL Div 3 and maybe been ok (mid-table) in NFNL Div 2.

From what I am hearing for 2024 we have signed mainly young, ex-IJFC players and not any big name / marquee players (Jetta, Gilmore, Nipper, etc), so I think first year in will be interesting to see where we are at. We would have to improve ALOT on last year to make finals in year 1 if all the buzz around teams improving their lists is correct.

Chump
Why did all the players leave after 2022?

Feels like a lot of unfair pressure on parade and Ivanhoe. What will be will be, imo they have a free whack at it whether they finish first or last.
I wouldn’t under estimate them but I would still expect give them a few years before challenging, they will need to want to establish themselves. Best of luck to them either way, div 3 for the nfnl is shaping up to be of the highest quality.

Why did all the players leave after 2022?
the usual ..... retirement, work, travelled O/S, year long injury, permit issue (Selwood) and move to local clubs for cash. We lost 14 of our starting 22 from the GF and 17 from our best side :)

On top of that our Reserve coaches who bought 11 players to club retired/went travelling OS so many of those guys finished up also as were older and wanted to support the Res coaches. We also allowed our open age Thirds to just play together as mates - even though some could play higher level at our club. It was a tough year numbers wise and loss of experience.

Things will improve, but we have some work to do to rebuild the club - hence the move to NFNL.

Chump

Last edited:
Stars will play finals. Farrant is a freak and when available Thorpe will combine to be 2 of the best key forwards in Div 3. Players back to the club next season in Proctor and Karpany and Stars latest recruit who was announced a couple of days ago on socials added to Burns will more than match any midfield in Div 3 although not sure how they are looking in the ruck. Stars were a fair way off last year but have added 8 quality senior players before you add in Jetta and possibly Betts and Wells for occasional games. If they can keep their best side on the park they will be capable of beating anyone. Not sure it will translate into long term success for the Stars but they will be right up there next year in what looks like being a real competitive Div 3 season.

I’m sure top sides in D1 VAFA would be right up there in NFNL Div 3 but I watched Parkside vs Yarra Valley in the D2 VAFA Grand Final at Coburg this season and neither of them sides would’ve beaten Heidelberg West who just failed to make finals in Division 3.
Is Thorpe signed? From what I heard he didn’t even know the stars put a clearance in for him and wasn’t leaving West Preston. Not to mention most VFL clubs won’t allow your nominated club to be D3

Last edited:
Feels like a lot of unfair pressure on parade and Ivanhoe. What will be will be, imo they have a free whack at it whether they finish first or last.
I wouldn’t under estimate them but I would still expect give them a few years before challenging, they will need to want to establish themselves. Best of luck to them either way, div 3 for the nfnl is shaping up to be of the highest quality.
Where has anyone place any sort of pressure on either club?

Is Thorpe signed? From what I heard he didn’t even know the stars put a clearance in for him and wasn’t leaving West Preston. Not to mention most VFL clubs won’t allow your nominated club to be D3
Stars make all sorts of promises every year when trying to recruit but they seem to be getting lot of ducks in order. Jetta & Proctor are enormous gets. If they play. Jetta finished 3rd in Collingwoods VFL b&f and has been promoted within there coaching staff while Proctor signed up the bush for big money and then returned to Bundoora. Thorpe has stepped away from box hill I believe so he won’t be aligned.

There best couple will cause headaches but there depth is poor and will need to keep everyone on the park more importantly Ian the training track.

Stars make all sorts of promises every year when trying to recruit but they seem to be getting lot of ducks in order. Jetta & Proctor are enormous gets. If they play. Jetta finished 3rd in Collingwoods VFL b&f and has been promoted within there coaching staff while Proctor signed up the bush for big money and then returned to Bundoora. Thorpe has stepped away from box hill I believe so he won’t be aligned.

There best couple will cause headaches but there depth is poor and will need to keep everyone on the park more importantly Ian the training track.
So Thorpe is playing full time at Fitzroy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ivanhoe coming to the party with some very handy recruits. Champ or Chump keeping the surprises for us hey
Not sure about any surprises BB ..... I'm reading about the recruits on FB the same as anyone else and hope they will be good players in Div 3 NFNL for us.

Have been told numbers have been around the 30 - 35 each session so far with good numbers suggesting they 'intend' to play, but we will see what the quality looks like in the end.

Chump

Last edited:
wow it going to be tough for resa to get a decent coach at this stage and with their past few seasons it not really an attractive position. Hopefully they will be able to get a team up it would be hard to get players to do such an early pre season when they are really on a hiding to nothing most likely see more number after January Hopefully

wow it going to be tough for resa to get a decent coach at this stage and with their past few seasons it not really an attractive position. Hopefully they will be able to get a team up it would be hard to get players to do such an early pre season when they are really on a hiding to nothing most likely see more number after January Hopefully
They appeared to be fairly stable last season. Fielded sides in both grades and were ahead of Lalor on field. Perhaps not taking a doom and gloom outlook and hopefully a new coach can bring a new energy and hopefully find a few recruits as it appears that the big stumbling block for them has been the ability to recruit any players. Good luck mustangs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back