NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, need a couple of regular week in week out recruits.

I’m not 100% sure but come round 1 pending VFL availability potentially

Owen
Mayley
McCormick
Woods (retired?)
Weatherald (retired?)
Bongettii (retired?)
Frazer (retired?)
Avramov (retired/moving)
Merkle (retired?)

Not sure if all these guys are 100% retired just the pub talk. 9 guys out and at this stage no one to replace them besides 2s and 19s

They’ve actually got quite a good core of young fellas but need to recruit to compliment them.
Marley will be missing most of the year I would guess.
Owen isn’t a VAFA boy so won’t play much at Coburg and McCormick given Norths drafting likely won’t play much there, so 2 of the 3 VFL boys should be playing a fair bit of Panthers footy. Hadn’t heard of Woods or Borgetti retiring.

They’ve lost wale Buxton who probably should have won 2 medals.. 2 to Eltham, Yoong fella to Diamond creek, Honeychurch. I don’t think 1 player covers them.

They are still chasing a few I’ve heard so could change

The young kid that has gone to creek has gone under radar, my mail is he was awesome last yeah tagging the best in the league.

Two to Eltham only played a few games.

WB and Honeyhcurch are the two losses with WB clearly a nearly impossible replacement.

Captain only played later in the year after major surgery, will have to come back better. Was told average age of team was around 22 (that includes the big fella at FF)

They have a few signed and I have also heard more on radar, clearly had a huge year last year and will no doubt be top 2 again only issue I can see is three coaches in 3 years. It could be unsettling I would think. Would he coach like he has the job for three years or be looking over his shoulder....

The young kid that has gone to creek has gone under radar, my mail is he was awesome last yeah tagging the best in the league.

Two to Eltham only played a few games.

WB and Honeyhcurch are the two losses with WB clearly a nearly impossible replacement.

Captain only played later in the year after major surgery, will have to come back better. Was told average age of team was around 22 (that includes the big fella at FF)

They have a few signed and I have also heard more on radar, clearly had a huge year last year and will no doubt be top 2 again only issue I can see is three coaches in 3 years. It could be unsettling I would think. Would he coach like he has the job for three years or be looking over his shoulder....
The Eltham boys still played in the finals though so will need to be replaced.

I think Mont will be up there no doubt but there list overall probably hasn’t improved just yet.

Besides Gilmore has Bergers lost anyone who won’t play the pointy end?

The Eltham boys still played in the finals though so will need to be replaced.

I think Mont will be up there no doubt but there list overall probably hasn’t improved just yet.

Besides Gilmore has Bergers lost anyone who won’t play the pointy end?
Matt Smith has departed

Marley will be missing most of the year I would guess.
Owen isn’t a VAFA boy so won’t play much at Coburg and McCormick given Norths drafting likely won’t play much there, so 2 of the 3 VFL boys should be playing a fair bit of Panthers footy. Hadn’t heard of Woods or Borgetti retiring.
I believe McCormick is now with the Bullants

How many clubs you coached Swoop?

Have met the guy twice - nice enough. Never listened to him coach. Who really knows?

Sounds like he feels bringing through young guys is the way forward - that will need patience?

Heidelberg doing the same THIS year. Could Mont steal one with big coin?

Banyule will make finals

Nth H - Heatly the best coach in it - who knows what he can do.

What a year👍

Chump
He is a nice guy. But bringing young guys through is his only option, he's lost half the list. So he wasn't going to say anything else really was he?

I'd say Vin Dattoli would have arguments on being the best coach in it.

He is a nice guy. But bringing young guys through is his only option, he's lost half the list. So he wasn't going to say anything else really was he?

Vin has an impressive recent record having inherited a premiership list but don’t sleep on what Heatley has done over the course of time he did a great job at North last year turning there game style profile around.

Last edited:
Vin has an impressive recent record having inherited a premiership list but don’t sleep on what Heatley has done over the course of time he did a great job at North last year turning there game style profile around.
I don't think it's just an impressive recent record. Won a Div 1 flag with West Preston as coach and took Bundoora to 5 grand finals I believe. I'd say he has Heatley covered at the moment.

Yes agree - Vin a VERY good coach with an excellent senior and junior record. Absolutely. I still think Heatley pips him but neck and neck for sure.

Side question - would you think If Heidelberg lose a few 'senior' players (and dont replace them with other proven senior players), then winning it this year would be a better effort as coach with bringing younger local guys through?

Chump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes agree - Vin a VERY good coach with an excellent senior and junior record. Absolutely. I still think Heatley pips him but neck and neck for sure.

Side question - would you think If Heidelberg lose a few 'senior' players (and dont replace them with other proven senior players), then winning it this year would be a better effort as coach with bringing younger local guys through?

Chump.

IMO, if they've lost Gilmore and Smith, with Wilson also playing some VFL games, that's a whack to their midfield. So winning 2024 would be a better effort.

In saying that... if rumours of Bianco and Hibberd heading there are true, very handy replacements.

IMO, if they've lost Gilmore and Smith, with Wilson also playing some VFL games, that's a whack to their midfield. So winning 2024 would be a better effort.

In saying that... if rumours of Bianco and Hibberd heading there are true, very handy replacements.

They are all hard to win .....

Wouldn't believe the rumours of the inclusions but would be hard to believe that Gilmore and Smith (if confirmed) don't get replaced

Great pick by North….great news

Yeah, it's an interesting one. Stats at bullants in a team that got belted most weeks where OK, obviously got some headlines with his GF game but there must be someone with vision that knows with a decent program he could very much be an AFL player.

Will be missed at the Panther, ripping lad. Hope it works out, would be great for local footy.

Yeah, it's an interesting one. Stats at bullants in a team that got belted most weeks where OK, obviously got some headlines with his GF game but there must be someone with vision that knows with a decent program he could very much be an AFL player.

Will be missed at the Panther, ripping lad. Hope it works out, would be great for local footy.
His highlights north posted were quite good. Some great pack marks and moves well for a bloke his size. With full time AFL training who knows what he may become. Good for the Bullants to have a player drafted as well 👍

Showed plenty in 19s….you could see it was there….attitude changed and he has gone bang. Plenty of development if North can do it, he could be a marque player at some stage.

IMG_3217.jpeg
Correct me if I’m wrong but that looks like Lentini from Montmorency to me? (Blue shorts) They posted he re-signed? Has he followed his buddy wale Buxton down there?

Massive loss for Eltham but what an opportunity. Plenty of time to replace him too and it seems like good publicity for the club.

Wish him well at the Kangas. Was a clear standout on Grand final day against Diamond Creek.

View attachment 1858966
Correct me if I’m wrong but that looks like Lentini from Montmorency to me? (Blue shorts) They posted he re-signed? Has he followed his buddy wale Buxton down there?
May just be having a run with them rather than signed on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back