2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Frankly i'm quite suprised that this hasn't already been up and running but as the season proper nears and for the Draft junkies like myself i thought it would be best to get the ball rolling. Some further info on prospective draftees can be found below.

My thoughts are that Keays will be go second round mainly because of two items in that others will most probably go past him from the Vic Metro, VC, SA and WA who didn't get an opportunity as he did last year in the national champs and also because i don't see us making the eight and therefore our first rounder will be too low.

Our team needs are still many IMO. A true KPF or two would be nice, Hanley's ommision leaves a glaring need for more outside run, an attacking HBF and a lockdown small defender would be nice as well.

Anyways, let's have it!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/power-rankings-for-the-2015-draft.1085573/

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-draft-early-look.1083868/

Frankly i'm quite suprised that this hasn't already been up and running but as the season proper nears and for the Draft junkies like myself i thought it would be best to get the ball rolling. Some further info on prospective draftees can be found below.

My thoughts are that Keays will be go second round mainly because of two items in that others will most probably go past him from the Vic Metro, VC, SA and WA who didn't get an opportunity as he did last year in the national champs and also because i don't see us making the eight and therefore our first rounder will be too low.

Our team needs are still many IMO. A true KPF or two would be nice, Hanley's ommision leaves a glaring need for more outside run, an attacking HBF and a lockdown small defender would be nice as well.

Anyways, let's have it!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/power-rankings-for-the-2015-draft.1085573/

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2015-draft-early-look.1083868/

Yeah agreed, Keays to be a second round pick unless he kicks on big time this year. Not a good year to be looking for KP players by all accounts. Predominantly a midfielders draft.

Qld guys I like this year:

Keays - outside mid / forward. Plays a bit like Beams (although completely different to how Beams played as a junior).
Hipwood - AFL Academy KPF. Yet to see him run around in real life. Looking forward to seeing him.
Mosley - inside mid. I really rate this kid. Very good inside ball winner with break away pace. If he develops could be a star.
Wagner - outside mid. Elite endurance and a kid who seems very popular within the Lions heirarchy.
Corvo - medium running defender maybe outside mid this year. Smooth mover.
Kristelly - ruck. I have been very high on this kid for a couple of years. I would have taken him over Archie two years ago. The kid is a monster at 205cm. Needs to keep on the park.

Next year is a light year for the Lions academy. This year though could be a beauty although I am often disappointed by the lack of development from the Qld guys from bottom aged to top aged. Hope things are different this year.

Qld guys I like this year:

Keays - outside mid / forward. Plays a bit like Beams (although completely different to how Beams played as a junior).
Hipwood - AFL Academy KPF. Yet to see him run around in real life. Looking forward to seeing him.
Mosley - inside mid. I really rate this kid. Very good inside ball winner with break away pace. If he develops could be a star.
Wagner - outside mid. Elite endurance and a kid who seems very popular within the Lions heirarchy.
Corvo - medium running defender maybe outside mid this year. Smooth mover.
Kristelly - ruck. I have been very high on this kid for a couple of years. I would have taken him over Archie two years ago. The kid is a monster at 205cm. Needs to keep on the park.

Next year is a light year for the Lions academy. This year though could be a beauty although I am often disappointed by the lack of development from the Qld guys from bottom aged to top aged. Hope things are different this year.
The fact that Hipwood and Keays have been selected in the AIS program would suggest they are reasonable prospects, Wagner also trained during this/last summer with the Lions for a week or two did he not, also suggests highly rated. Don't know much about the others

It is very hard to assess our list needs right now. While I agree that an elite KPF is highly desirable, a lot depends on how Close, McStay and Freeman come on this year.

As scary (and disheartening) as it sounds, we also probably need to build our long term (read 5+ years) midfield depth too. The class of 2008 are all around 25yo now. The risk that we run is that all of that group retire in fairly quick succession. Taking one or two midfielders each year, for the next couple of years, should future proof our list.

It is very hard to assess our list needs right now. While I agree that an elite KPF is highly desirable, a lot depends on how Close, McStay and Freeman come on this year.

As scary (and disheartening) as it sounds, we also probably need to build our long term (read 5+ years) midfield depth too. The class of 2008 are all around 25yo now. The risk that we run is that all of that group retire in fairly quick succession. Taking one or two midfielders each year, for the next couple of years, should future proof our list.

As good as that draft was it will be a tough transition period with Rich, Rockliff, Redden and Beams all the same age with Zorko and Hanley only slightly older.

Agree with POBT, we need to keep our eye on our midfield depth. We face future problems because a lot of our team are similar age. It is a positive while they play together, but will be hard to replace all at once. We really need to keep adding some quality midfield talent each year, to help that balance.

Well at least this thread wasn't started before the first preseason game :drunk:

Come on, we all know the draft is the real show. Regular season is just a very long build up to draft day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a great draft for mids this year and if we could get one of those and then move onto the Qlders I think it would be a huge win for us. Personally I have Keays in my top 10 atm. Based on him being AA last year and stepping up at every opportunity at senior level it is hard to see him being lower than that at this stage. He might not develop as many hope but based purely on what he has done so far he should be right up there.

Keays does need to work on his hurt factor and inside ball winning ability but the kid is a ball magnet who can slot them between the big sticks. Those kinds are pretty handy.

Read recently that Keays grew up in Melbourne. Anyone know where he grew up and at what age he moved to Brisbane?

Would not be opposed at all to getting a midfielder plus Keays. It becomes even more attractive if Aish bails out.
If Aish bails out and we are remunerated appropriately we should have two first round picks and could further add to the midfield depth.

Curious as to know if anyone here rates any specific player beyond reading other people's write-ups which understandably limits most of us?

What are we likely to have to give up for Keays?
AFL draft 'guru' Cal Twomey tipped 2nd round pick - but obviously may fluctuate dependant on his progress this year and changes to bidding saystem

AFL draft 'guru' Cal Twomey tipped 2nd round pick - but obviously may fluctuate dependant on his progress this year and changes to bidding saystem
I guess that was more my question, as I haven't really been on top of the new bidding system.
Has it been passed, and how do the new rules affect what we have to give up?

I guess that was more my question, as I haven't really been on top of the new bidding system.
Has it been passed, and how do the new rules affect what we have to give up?

Nothing set in stone yet.

List needs are unknown at this stage... We have a plethora of KPFs but we just don't know if they have what it takes to be quality AFL players. I'm more confident of our defence with Gardiner and Clarke but I think we need a 25-28 year old to complete it when Merrett and Goose most likely retire at the end of their current contracts... Rance would be a great fit but can't see him leaving the Tigers. Our midfield is set for the next 7 years IMO so I guess we could take best available if mid or a slider or two a year to increase our depth.

IMO I think we should just take best available at all picks regardless. Keays and Hipwood most likely will be Lions at the end of the season but it is getting impossible to find players to delist now to incorporate our new draftees which is a great thing.

List needs are unknown at this stage... We have a plethora of KPFs but we just don't know if they have what it takes to be quality AFL players. I'm more confident of our defence with Gardiner and Clarke but I think we need a 25-28 year old to complete it when Merrett and Goose most likely retire at the end of their current contracts... Rance would be a great fit but can't see him leaving the Tigers. Our midfield is set for the next 7 years IMO so I guess we could take best available if mid or a slider or two a year to increase our depth.

IMO I think we should just take best available at all picks regardless. Keays and Hipwood most likely will be Lions at the end of the season but it is getting impossible to find players to delist now to incorporate our new draftees which is a great thing.

I am yet to be convinced with the merits of Close as CHF and as others have pointed out he could do with a move back and this would further add to our KPD's as you've listed. This leave Freeman and the possibility of McStay so not quite the plethora of young KPF's as outlined. I think we do need some more outside run like an Isaac Smith, WHE or Brad/Stephen Hill type.

Not sure it's impossible to find players to delist

You would think that this bunch would need to make an impact this year:

Merrett
Staker
Maguire
Paine
Maguone
Golby
Lester
Bourke (Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back