News 2015 Fixture (discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? We will still have 5-6 away games in Melbourne and people who go to more than 5 games a year are willing to travel to Geelong anyway.
Not going to get many people buying memberships if they are only going to away games in Melbourne. Can't fit them all in at Kardinia.

Not going to get many people buying memberships if they are only going to away games in Melbourne. Can't fit them all in at Kardinia.
They have memberships for only a couple of games. If they don't they should. I don't think there would be many supporters who go to every Melbourne game but then refuse to go to Geelong games. I may be wrong though but if you support the team that much I would of thought you would be willing to travel 1 hour on a train twice a year.

On a serious note, i love watching the cats play more than anything and go to every game in melbourne, but have been to geelong maybe 5 times in 15 years. Not the average cats fan so im not really relevant overall.

why have we copped another 3 games in two weeks?
This really farked us up this year when we had to travel to Fremantle, back to Geelong then back upto Sydney in the space of two weeks and lo and behold, we cop it again traveling upto Subiaco to play West Coast, back to Melbourne (v Essendon) and then back upto Adelaide to face Port Adelaide.

Brutal stretch and for a younger team these days, it's really going to knock the stuffing out of us again unfortunately.

That Port Adelaide game could be similar to the Sydney one this year.

3110rohans_draw.jpg

Not sure if this has been uploaded yet

When calculating the tallies the Tasmania games don't count as home vs interstate for Hawthorn (which is absurd, since they chose to play there games interstate and overstates the difficulty of there draw, it essentially counts those home games as away matches)

Hawthorn plays four games in Tasmania, three of which are against non-Victorian teams, this overstates there fixture difficulty by 3 points.

We have been given the hardest fixture this year.

My telly won't be getting much of a run on Friday nights next year with the amount of primetime footy Richmond and Carlton have. Would rather watch paint dry than a game involving either of these two. So much for 'equalisation' when faux big clubs are continually favoured by the draw.

Our draw isn't too bad - about time we received 8 home games, and dodging Freo in Perth is a bonus. Also have only 5 interstate trips, down from 6 in recent years. Only major complaints are our start to the season and lack of night games, in particular FNF, at KP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They probably are separate, but the fixture frustrates me every year for this very reason.

You (and others) being in Melbourne won't agree but I'm firmly in the 11 KP home games camp. We're the Geelong Football Club. We're not a Melbourne club, never have been, never will be.

Why spend $100-200m to refurbish a stadium that's only being used 7-8 times?. Our home games should be here and I for one am sick of home games at KP being given the crap Melbourne clubs.

As a Geelong based fan this fixturing doesn't leave me enthused:

2015 season we play NM, Melbourne, WB.
2014 season we played NM, WB, St.K.
2013 season we played Melbourne, St.k.
2012 season we played Richmond, melbourne, St.k, WB.

The only variety we get is in what interstate clubs come here, no club should be exempt from coming to KP. Not good enough, I'd be happy with 1 of the big 3-4 coming here every year on a rotation basis, us Geelong based fans deserve better than just being drawn the less important Melbourne clubs.

I can see us playing Hawthorn in Geelong again should they eventually drop down the ladder, and probably the Tiggers too, but not Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon. You had to grow up in the days of gravel terraces, $1 records and God himself to see that. :)

They have memberships for only a couple of games. If they don't they should. I don't think there would be many supporters who go to every Melbourne game but then refuse to go to Geelong games. I may be wrong though but if you support the team that much I would of thought you would be willing to travel 1 hour on a train twice a year.

Its not willingness to travel its capacity at kp. I am a melb based member without a car who travels to all geel games but i have a reserve seat package.there are not enough of them for all members and the amount of ga at kp is tiny. When the capacity is 35k at kp and 50 at etihad and 95 at mcg this is an issue.

So if all games were at kp a lot of melb members would not renew because they cant get access to kp.
,which would reduce membership.

Only if we get to 50k capacity at kp is it possible to have 11 games there and still include melb members

Doesn't look too bad. Tough first month, though. Could start the year 0-4.

Only playing Freo and GC twice, both at home, is a plus. Two games at AO within three weeks of each other is kind of odd.
3 of those 'home games' so highly unlikely given our record at Kardinia Park. Even the pessimists such as yourself should struggle with that concept.

Its not willingness to travel its capacity at kp. I am a melb based member without a car who travels to all geel games but i havr a reserve seat package.there are not enough of them for all members and the amount of ga at kp is tiny.

So if all games were at kp a lot of melb members would not renew because they cant get access to kp.

Only if we get to 50k capacity at kp is it possible to have 11 games there and still include melb members
I would love to know the breakdown in profits between games at KP and MCG. As in per game (even factoring in blockbusters at the G).

I only ask as it is still run as a business so the Melbourne games and the subsequent additional memberships must create enough $$ for the club to go down this path.

If we weren't making money from home games in Melbourne you'd think they'd ask for more games at its cash cow, KP.

Hence why if we are to continue to play home games in Melbourne for the foreseeable future then I'd clearly prefer the more favourable MCG over ES as the deal (without knowing exact details) is apparently better at the G.

Oh well state election in about a month with some contentious seats in Geelong, may see us get some more funding for KP, so we can at least push for a bigger club occasionally with a further increased capacity.

Its not willingness to travel its capacity at kp. I am a melb based member without a car who travels to all geel games but i have a reserve seat package.there are not enough of them for all members and the amount of ga at kp is tiny. When the capacity is 35k at kp and 50 at etihad and 95 at mcg this is an issue.

That's a valid point which is often overlooked. Playing 11 games at KP is no longer viable in the current climate, and it's virtually impossible for the club to remain competitive in the market. As much as we'd like it to happen, it won't. We need to look at the bigger picture.

I can see us playing Hawthorn in Geelong again should they eventually drop down the ladder, and probably the Tiggers too, but not Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon. You had to grow up in the days of gravel terraces, $1 records and God himself to see that. :)
I became a member in '97 so correct me if I'm wrong but I've only seen Collingwood at KP:(.

I know it's very unlikely to change, doesn't mean I have to like it, and I don't.

Carlton has been irrelevent for 20 years and has lost a lot of support, Essendon will lose supporters over the ASADA stuff. Shouldn't be too many years before we play them down there again. Even Collingwood will lose a lot of fans when they are bottom team again like they were in '99 when we last played them.

Carlton has been irrelevent for 20 years and has lost a lot of support, Essendon will lose supporters over the ASADA stuff. Shouldn't be too many years before we play them down there again. Even Collingwood will lose a lot of fans when they are bottom team again like they were in '99 when we last played them.
Our two games against the blues this year resulted in 38k and 36k. No wonder there was a push for them to play at KP.

The question I asked on the main board was why is it okay for Richmond to have come here in recent years when they have a large supporter base but not Carlton or Essendon??

Our two games against the blues this year resulted in 38k and 36k. No wonder there was a push for them to play at KP.

The question I asked on the main board was why is it okay for Richmond to have come here in recent years when they have a large supporter base but not Carlton or Essendon??
Because parochial bullshit trumps even crowd figures now it seems

To continue my pro melbourne dribble, ALL the blockbuster games are played in melbourne.

Well it will allways be the case of the biggest drawing games being played in Melb and Geelong as usual get the GWS and Gold Coast , considering the money made from these low drawing clubs when played down at Geelong cant see it changing.
It would be nice how ever if the people who pay for and attend these lower rated games if they get a game a year thats an atticpated "big" game.

Fair enough didn't really think about that.

Not sure if this has been uploaded yet

When calculating the tallies the Tasmania games don't count as home vs interstate for Hawthorn (which is absurd, since they chose to play there games interstate and overstates the difficulty of there draw, it essentially counts those home games as away matches)

Hawthorn plays four games in Tasmania, three of which are against non-Victorian teams, this overstates there fixture difficulty by 3 points.

We have been given the hardest fixture this year.
It's part of the AFL's "Equalisation Policy", 10lana. Geelong just won't lie down and die like they want us to, so the AFL try and make things just that little bit harder wherever they can. Those little things like facing a top 4 team after a 6 day break or after an interstate game don't get factored in- they're very subtle. When we were a raging powerhouse, they didn't bother us but, as we rebuild and introduce youngsters into the team, it's those little things that add up and can be the difference in us being top 8 instead of top 4 or even missing the 8 altogether. The 6 day breaks gradually wear the older players down as they don't have time to train a lot in between their recovery sessions.
Makes me very :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back