2nds 2015 Geelong VFL team

Where will our VFL side finish in 2015 ?

• Win the Premiership.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • 2nd

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 rd

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 4 th

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • 5 th

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • 6 th

• 7 th

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 8 th

• Outside the 8 and will not play finals.

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd be FOR the Northern Academies then I assume Turbs? ;)

I have posted in sone of the whinge threads.
I want what is best for the comp , the total comp. Now apart from person bias that say a Strong Geelong is great for the comp.... I acknowledge that 4 Northern expansion clubs need a certain comp bias from the AFL. How much etc is debatable.

I doubt there would be huge reaction to Heeney going to GWS , but going to a GF side cause ripples and Heeney is the tip of the iceberg. I have no stats on their numbers but I assume they have lot of players to choose from , certainly a lot more than clubs do with FS. It may be comparable to the Falcons being composed from Geelong FS and then us having the pick of who we rate as the most tasty. He Id be willing to have a deal like that with Falcons , would we have given P14 for McCartin this year? Pick what ever for Lewy Taylor the year before? What about Parish in 2015?

On the whole , Im not negative on helping developing states...to a point. etc. , but the cost they pay has to be more than it it currently , and if the influx of talent starts to be too strong , its no longer a competitive insurance , more an advantage that hurts other clubs.
Let suppose Heeney was a top 5 player , next year they get a top 5 plus a top 20 player , the year after 3 players in the best 30 , on and on just topping up like they are a bottom team. The noise fro the Lions sort of indicate they want big advantages rather just small bias , and Im not sure that will fly.

If we had a VFL academy , there would be no huge advantage to Geelong , but it would reward players who have been missed and a club for developing passed over talent. For eg. , no player could be VFL signed player unless being missed in multiple drafts. All clubs have had looks and said no. , or he is delisted player etc. Young Guthrie may be an example , not sure . Imagine if all clubs in Vic were allowed their own Academies , the Northern state would be screaming Blue Murder.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/trimming-step/

Bit of pre season puff but good to see another B List Rookie going the right direction.
Saw him last year and his tank was NFG.

Glad to see it clearly been a focus and the work is paying off.

Getting some of the best from Rooke, Scarlo with his game modeled on Mots….

Could do a lot worse.

Still a massively long road to get an elevation and make the senior list then get a game.

Really keen as to see him in the VFL this year. With the improved tank, the efforts will get better and the skills should hold thru the game better.

Lots to like… early days still…

GO Catters

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/trimming-step/

Bit of pre season puff but good to see another B List Rookie going the right direction.
Saw him last year and his tank was NFG.

Glad to see it clearly been a focus and the work is paying off.

Getting some of the best from Rooke, Scarlo with his game modeled on Mots….

Could do a lot worse.

Still a massively long road to get an elevation and make the senior list then get a game.

Really keen as to see him in the VFL this year. With the improved tank, the efforts will get better and the skills should hold thru the game better.

Lots to like… early days still…

GO Catters

Could he be another bargain...I think he may just be. He has talent , just needs physical and mental skill.
There was a recent discussion on his fitness , and I think answers that.

The kicking is interesting , first thought was Scarlo was no brilliant kick , neither was Rooke yet on reflection they both were very proficient , and made it work. They had knowledge and sometime having less talent make you a better coach. When I saw him I thought Lux's kicking was reasonable.

Can he get an AFL game in 2015? Probably not , but if he pushes by next year he he should be establishing himself as a "Must promote". To do that he has to have impact in 2015 and even that will not be a push over. Lot of talent kids coming thru. Yet looking at the vids , one can see he is shown a bit. Soapy's bubble continues to grow !!!!!

I have posted in sone of the whinge threads.
I want what is best for the comp , the total comp. Now apart from person bias that say a Strong Geelong is great for the comp.... I acknowledge that 4 Northern expansion clubs need a certain comp bias from the AFL. How much etc is debatable.

I doubt there would be huge reaction to Heeney going to GWS , but going to a GF side cause ripples and Heeney is the tip of the iceberg. I have no stats on their numbers but I assume they have lot of players to choose from , certainly a lot more than clubs do with FS. It may be comparable to the Falcons being composed from Geelong FS and then us having the pick of who we rate as the most tasty. He Id be willing to have a deal like that with Falcons , would we have given P14 for McCartin this year? Pick what ever for Lewy Taylor the year before? What about Parish in 2015?

On the whole , Im not negative on helping developing states...to a point. etc. , but the cost they pay has to be more than it it currently , and if the influx of talent starts to be too strong , its no longer a competitive insurance , more an advantage that hurts other clubs.
Let suppose Heeney was a top 5 player , next year they get a top 5 plus a top 20 player , the year after 3 players in the best 30 , on and on just topping up like they are a bottom team. The noise fro the Lions sort of indicate they want big advantages rather just small bias , and Im not sure that will fly.

If we had a VFL academy , there would be no huge advantage to Geelong , but it would reward players who have been missed and a club for developing passed over talent. For eg. , no player could be VFL signed player unless being missed in multiple drafts. All clubs have had looks and said no. , or he is delisted player etc. Young Guthrie may be an example , not sure . Imagine if all clubs in Vic were allowed their own Academies , the Northern state would be screaming Blue Murder.
Rather than derail a thread about the VFL side for 2015 (and because I've said more in the Father-Son thread) I'll simply say that I think the COLA saga and the fact that Sydney gained both Tippett and Franklin has people jumping at shadows a little bit with regards to the Academies.

Granted, these academies could end up providing the Northern clubs a lot of very good players but I think that would be nipped in the bud before it got too out of hand (if nothing else Collingwood and Hawthorn would jump up and down about it - Collingwood already did over 1 player).

I think the Academies are good for the competition but I'll leave it to Emma Quayle to speak on my behalf because she does it more eloquently.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-nothing-to-be-scared-of-20140714-zt78u.html

Rather than derail a thread about the VFL side for 2015 (and because I've said more in the Father-Son thread) I'll simply say that I think the COLA saga and the fact that Sydney gained both Tippett and Franklin has people jumping at shadows a little bit with regards to the Academies.

Granted, these academies could end up providing the Northern clubs a lot of very good players but I think that would be nipped in the bud before it got too out of hand (if nothing else Collingwood and Hawthorn would jump up and down about it - Collingwood already did over 1 player).

I think the Academies are good for the competition but I'll leave it to Emma Quayle to speak on my behalf because she does it more eloquently.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...s-nothing-to-be-scared-of-20140714-zt78u.html

Pretty much as I believe , although Heeney like Hawkins changed the system. Still say we could have a acc style with our VFL players, be just an expansion of Rookie B type players really.

Could he be another bargain...I think he may just be. He has talent , just needs physical and mental skill.
There was a recent discussion on his fitness , and I think answers that.

The kicking is interesting , first thought was Scarlo was no brilliant kick , neither was Rooke yet on reflection they both were very proficient , and made it work. They had knowledge and sometime having less talent make you a better coach. When I saw him I thought Lux's kicking was reasonable.

Can he get an AFL game in 2015? Probably not , but if he pushes by next year he he should be establishing himself as a "Must promote". To do that he has to have impact in 2015 and even that will not be a push over. Lot of talent kids coming thru. Yet looking at the vids , one can see he is shown a bit. Soapy's bubble continues to grow !!!!!

The thing is that he just needs to keep improving. Would be great to get him on the senior list end of 2016 if he earns it. Should be doable list management wise as the retirements will help clear spots. Im a bit surprised about his touted as a MF as I thought his fitness would only cope with a short rotation there but with him running out games perhaps he is better than I thought.

VFL just got more interesting.

Go Catters

The thing is that he just needs to keep improving. Would be great to get him on the senior list end of 2016 if he earns it. Should be doable list management wise as the retirements will help clear spots. Im a bit surprised about his touted as a MF as I thought his fitness would only cope with a short rotation there but with him running out games perhaps he is better than I thought.

VFL just got more interesting.

Go Catters

Considering our needs , If I was him id be very happy to play that hmid role , borderline FP. We have an opening and if he plays it well it could be the opening for him.

Actually where do we see all the newbies playing.
Read and Lucey to me are ruck and resting forward.
Cockatoo may well play wing
Gore looks like a defensive mid but maybe they give him some time back as well
Delaney looks obvious if he gets on the field
Gregson another FP? Cunico another wing outside player.

Considering our needs , If I was him id be very happy to play that hmid role , borderline FP. We have an opening and if he plays it well it could be the opening for him.

In my opinion he's likely to be our only debutant this year,I'd perch him deep forward for now he's quite handy around goal I understand and needs time to develop.

Yeah that's how I see it. Not really a newbie but I see Cowan having a go at that defensive mid role as well as Gore who'll probably get a bit of time off the chain as well.
Delaney CHB.
Blease and Bews coming off HBF
Gregson and Menzel FP.
Cockatoo, Lang and Jansen rotating between Mid and forward.
Hartman HB and mid
Dunno bout Bates.
Luxford up forward till Reid is right to play then he'll be moved down back.
Dunno how where gonna fit Vardy, Walker, Reid, Lucey, Kersten, Luxford and maybe Blitz and Simpson in the same team if it happens.
Is Reid only a rookie? We did preety shithot in the draft this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kinda saw him in a Wojo role.
I don't really know though.
I'm not all that sure why we got him
Pace, simple as that I reckon.

However, if he can't get a gig in the 1s it does look a tad odd.

Still, he cost us nothing and is only on a 1 year contract irrc.

Pace, simple as that I reckon.

However, if he can't get a gig in the 1s it does look a tad odd.

Still, he cost us nothing and is only on a 1 year contract irrc.

To me he's clearly a small forward prospect. His competition for that spot is Murdoch (comfortably ahead), McCarthy (injured again), and Smedts (likely to be in defence). If he has a good pre-season he's every chance to put himself in contention. Does have genuine pace, and can kick goals.

To me he's clearly a small forward prospect. His competition for that spot is Murdoch (comfortably ahead), McCarthy (injured again), and Smedts (likely to be in defence). If he has a good pre-season he's every chance to put himself in contention. Does have genuine pace, and can kick goals.
I could see him starting on the wing but the knock on him seems to have been his endurance.

I'd agree with you that forward is where he seems most likely.

He is one I'm interested to see in the NAB matches because, in the odd game I saw from him at Melbourne, he seemed OK.

Whether I feel the same way when I pay more attention to him, I can't say yet.

not really. Blease is a year older and played 9 fewer games but has averaged just as many disposals and almost as many goals per game as Murdoch.
Blease has played more games as the designated sub (or subbed out) for Melbourne, less game time impacting those career averages.
He's also gathered 20 or more disposals on four separate occasions while Murdoch has done this just the once.

I'd say he's a high chance of securing a spot in the starting 22 by round one. Especially when you consider what he brings to the team which is what we need without McCarthy or Christensen no longer around.
Thanks for the comparison, Bobby. I hadn't managed to look at those stats. Interesting. I hope he can fill that hole in the forward line.

not really. Blease is a year older and played 9 fewer games but has averaged just as many disposals and almost as many goals per game as Murdoch.
Blease has played more games as the designated sub (or subbed out) for Melbourne, less game time impacting those career averages.
He's also gathered 20 or more disposals on four separate occasions while Murdoch has done this just the once.

I'd say he's a high chance of securing a spot in the starting 22 by round one. Especially when you consider what he brings to the team which is what we need without McCarthy or Christensen no longer around.

Good stats. Shows how easily players from the lower teams can be ignored.

You could make a case that if you had Murdoch and Blease in the pockets, their pace would more than offset having Hawkins and Bartel at ground level. Suddenly wouldn't be quite so slow. Something like this (and this is totally hypothetical) mightn't be too bad:

Bartel - Clark - Blease
Murdoch - Hawkins - Kersten

We'll hopefully get a better idea in a few weeks.

Not as convinced as you Pure. In such important develop positions like ruck , if we are playing Robinson , one of the guys on our list are not playing. Concede injury concerns and Walker , but with Read and Lucey and a change of luck I don't see him playing much..unless he plays elsewhere. But since we have no real hold on VFL players , I hope we don't see much of him.

Where as Im happy enough (if they rate him) to give young Josh a go , perhaps he is Rookie material perhaps not. Perhaps even younger brother Zac when he is the right age. One extra mid in the VFL would not great affect the develop of the others. A ruckman...well how many can play in a side of 22.

Two points, firstly I believe the point of our vfl team is to develop afl players more so than winning, so you want to play guys in positions they are a chance of making the grade. Walker for example is no chance of making it at afl level as a ruckman, only as a key forward or key back, so why should he be rucking at vfl level? It's not fair to his development, and the fact that he was last year was because we didn't have proper rucks available. So having a ruck on the vfl list helps him.

With the others, bear in mind Lucey is still learning the game and Read is incredibly phsycially raw, you dont want to throw him to the wolves in the ruck against seasoned vfl players just yet. There's nothing to fear either as we always play afl listed players ahead of vfl listed ones, so when everyone is available Robinson will go back to his GFL side, so he wont be costing the kids a spot.
More likely he will be rucking because Vardy and Simpson are injured.

Two points, firstly I believe the point of our vfl team is to develop afl players more so than winning, so you want to play guys in positions they are a chance of making the grade. Walker for example is no chance of making it at afl level as a ruckman, only as a key forward or key back, so why should he be rucking at vfl level? It's not fair to his development, and the fact that he was last year was because we didn't have proper rucks available. So having a ruck on the vfl list helps him.

With the others, bear in mind Lucey is still learning the game and Read is incredibly phsycially raw, you dont want to throw him to the wolves in the ruck against seasoned vfl players just yet. There's nothing to fear either as we always play afl listed players ahead of vfl listed ones, so when everyone is available Robinson will go back to his GFL side, so he wont be costing the kids a spot.
More likely he will be rucking because Vardy and Simpson are injured.

Whole heartily agree on what VFL is for , and its for this reason Im for having listed players rucking for us. But you make good points that they are young etc.
Walkers role is one I have a blank on , has he got a future at Geelong , can they make him a defender, will he keep improving and demand selection etc but that come about after what should have been a career defining game in the final. He is not a ruckman so that he has had to be used there shows that we missed on list balance.

But I still feel there is a heap of mid spots but tall spots are rather more restricted. I know its silly thinking they will all be fit , Id be happy if half of them were... but Toohey at FB , Kolo , Delaney at CHB , Walker at CHF , Resting ruck at FF/ Ruckman... Vardy/Lucey/Read ...... and that means Hmac,Simpson, Clark,Stanley, Blitz are all in the AFL or are not playing.

Now having said all that , just how good is. I suspect we will add another ruck at the end of 2015 to replace Hmac. Do we go for another top up backup type?

I'm still not sold on Clark's durability. Not saying he won't or can't do it and when fit his best is very good. Can we see it for long enough to matter and is a guy back playing after 18 months gonna be able to be consistent enough?

Based on that not bein a guarnteed yes, I'd keep Josh playing KPF in the vfl. The kpd has merit and could be done but I'm just sure Josh Has the kpf dialed yet.

And if he gets bits of both all year, I do to think that is enough info to base his cutting at seasons end either. ( i do not want him gone)
Go Catters

Good stats. Shows how easily players from the lower teams can be ignored.

You could make a case that if you had Murdoch and Blease in the pockets, their pace would more than offset having Hawkins and Bartel at ground level. Suddenly wouldn't be quite so slow. Something like this (and this is totally hypothetical) mightn't be too bad:

Bartel - Clark - Blease
Murdoch - Hawkins - Kersten

We'll hopefully get a better idea in a few weeks.

Where do you place Motlop? On the wing?
I hear that he has a bit of pace too.

Back