Mega Thread 2015 Pre-Season Training Reports #ffcpreseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, apeness matching apearce in distance running is an amazing feat for someone of his build. Pearce is a freakish running machine, if a 15kg heavier apeness it hitting that pace bracket too then I'm frothing over his ability to outlast defenders on the back-and-forward that our game plan involves.
Good signs for the young man

What are reasonable expectations for Apeness, Pearce and Taberner in 2015?

Will we see a three pronged tall forward line with Apeness, Taberner and Pavlich?

Will the significantly taller Pearce get on opportunity over the experienced Ibbotson if MJ is not ready round 1?

Will we see a three pronged tall forward line with Apeness, Taberner and Pavlich?

Will the significantly taller Pearce get on opportunity over the experienced Ibbotson if MJ is not ready round 1?
I think 2-3 games from Apeness and A.Pearce is a reasonable expectation, coupled with good development in the WAFL

Tabs should play most if not all games and start to impact a little more. 30+ goals.

I wouldn't have thought we'd see a three tall attack, plus the resting ruck this year. Maybe for a couple of games if Apeness is getting a run, but I wouldn't bet on it. It would significantly take away from our forward line pressure and gut run based game plan.

While Pearce will probably get a game or two, It wouldn't likely be at the expense of a fit Ibbo in round one.

With how well he's been training, and the small glimpse of what we saw at AFL level last year, I expect Apeness to go in as our 2nd ruck if Clarke doesn't lift his game.
Its very early in the Pre Season to start trying to pick our best 22 .
Clarke is a long way back after the injuries he had in the last 2 games of last season but he will be pushing himself to get fit after his surgery on his knee .
For those interested ,Moller has put on 8 kgs since joining us and has had to change his running action . The Coaches are full of praise of how much work he is putting in and his willingness to do extra training in the gym to improve his strength .

Sherrif ,
Thamks for the report on preseason training and for giving me the good word on my buddy Clancee .
He was carring far to much weight last year due to being in the gym pumping weights when he couldn't do the running because of injury .
Clancee has been on my radar from when he was first recruited and with an injury free preseason I think he will have a big say on how we travel as a team this year .

Can't help it, the arousal curve is high again.

Interesting question, what pre-season phrase gets people the most excited? "Training the house down" or "........ is the steal of the draft"

To be totally honest its seeing the look on a players face when RTB gives them the big thumbs up in front of the rest of the team for executing a passage of play that he is trying to teach them how he wants it done .
The other times its great to be there is when they are just messing about and enjoying each others company . The friendly ribbing ,quiet and loud jokes before they get into the serious stuff . Watching the senior players mixing with the first year players giving them guidance and encouragement.

Interesting question, what pre-season phrase gets people the most excited? "Training the house down" or "........ is the steal of the draft"
That's like choosing between your girlfriends left or right boob. Can't we just motorboat the s**t out of both of them?

Really good point.
I agree with Agenfrida in that 2/3 games is a possibility. It all comes down to timing and injuries though. Apeness may be battling with griff for a spot if Clarke goes down, apearce battling ibbo possibly in lieu of MJ.
I think tabs will get a decent shot come season start which leaves me wondering about my old buddy zac Clarke. If he doesn't start rd 1 he's not the sort to always shine bright at wafl level meaning he may be up against it ( and tabs ) to crack back in.

I think 2-3 games from Apeness and A.Pearce is a reasonable expectation, coupled with good development in the WAFL

Tabs should play most if not all games and start to impact a little more. 30+ goals.

I wouldn't have thought we'd see a three tall attack, plus the resting ruck this year. Maybe for a couple of games if Apeness is getting a run, but I wouldn't bet on it. It would significantly take away from our forward line pressure and gut run based game plan.

While Pearce will probably get a game or two, It wouldn't likely be at the expense of a fit Ibbo in round one.

Pearce,Irish,Dawson ,Ibbo and the new Rookie were engaged in marking duels today.Ibbo totally out positioned and out marked the youngsters.If Ibbo stays fit there is know way any of the kids will replace him.

I am a steel of the draft man, love to get good picks late.:D Makes the whole club look good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With our success with late picks, rookie selections, gets me very excited about the next crop of best 22.
Barlow, Neale, Sutcliffe, Tabs, Spurr, and when you think about how the club wanted that last pick in the draft,
Unearthing gems is our specialty.

When do the internal scratch matches start? Depending how the two teams are picked, a under 23 vs the
rest squad should be a highlight.
It would be interesting to see how they match up the backs vs forwards in the scratch match. It would probably give us an insight to how much they rate each player. You'd imagine it could look something like McPharlin Vs Pav, Dawson Vs Apeness, A Pearce/T Smith Vs Taberner and then the other one of Pearce and Smith Vs Mayne. That would probably then leave Sutcliffe, Ibbo and Spurr to line up on Walters, Ballas and Duffy.

Sherrif ,
Thamks for the report on preseason training and for giving me the good word on my buddy Clancee .
He was carring far to much weight last year due to being in the gym pumping weights when he couldn't do the running because of injury .
Clancee has been on my radar from when he was first recruited and with an injury free preseason I think he will have a big say on how we travel as a team this year .
To be honest, Clancee was huge in 2013 but got injured late. That performance seems to be forgotten by many because of his run of injury last year. I've no doubt that if he is fully fit then he will be in the 22. A tackling machine with a great kick.

I'd like to see Alex Pearce fill in every time Johnson and McPharlin are injured...which could be quite often

You may very well get your wish, as Ross has already pencilled McPharlin in for around 15 games next season, conceding to the need to give him some rest days to manage his body.

Of course this is all subject to injuries, WAFL form etc.

You may very well get your wish, as Ross has already pencilled McPharlin in for around 15 games next season, conceding to the need to give him some rest days to manage his body.

Of course this is all subject to injuries, WAFL form etc.
You'd have to think that the games to QLD and Sydney he would probably miss purely because of travel. He's better off staying at home and taking that extra time to recover and rest rather than doing the long hard trips. We want him there for the pointy end of the season

I agree those are reasonable expectations for them at this stage of their career.

A possibility is that Pavlich and MacPharlin may retire at the end of next season, and I don't think that would prepare these guys well enough to step in. We have Silvagni down back so it is not critical as such, although he does have injury concerns regularly. And Pavlich may go again for another year.

I agree those are reasonable expectations for them at this stage of their career.

A possibility is that Pavlich and MacPharlin may retire at the end of next season, and I don't think that would prepare these guys well enough to step in. We have Silvagni down back so it is not critical as such, although he does have injury concerns regularly. And Pavlich may go again for another year.

Yeah, you're right. It's a given that this is Lukes last year, but I think Pav if he's injury free could go round another year. He's never been one to rely on athleticism to do what he does, he's more of a know where to run and how to use his body type guy. He won't lose that with age, so he could conceivably play in 2016 too.

You'd have to think that the games to QLD and Sydney he would probably miss purely because of travel. He's better off staying at home and taking that extra time to recover and rest rather than doing the long hard trips. We want him there for the pointy end of the season

Yeah definitely. Possibly even Launceston too against the Hawks (I still cannot believe a WA based club has to play that fixture)

Also, RTB wants the playing group to know their intentions with McPharlin ahead of schedule so that they're under "no illusions" ;) that the coaching group are not taking games lightly and are merely managing players. Pretty much don't want a repeat of the St Kilda game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back