List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Draft/FA - SuperMegaUltraThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole draft is weak. Vid Country have the best team but in terms of AFL applicable talent that remains to be seen.

Powell and Seton look like top ten locks for next year before these champs.

You could play a WA U18 team with as many, if not more under age kids than eligible ones and it would be stronger for mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Weak or thin? I saw 2014 Draft as being really deep. Hence the likes of Nelson at 51, Cavka at 60 and Waterman at 76 represented brilliant value (at least from 6 months into their careers).

The top 10 this year are still seen as strong but then it falls away in the second round. But there again let's see as the Suns were seen as having a better draft year that the Giants!

I hope our club is putting in the legwork to prepare for an assault on the Giants' list, like many other clubs appear to be doing. There is so much talent coming out of contract by end 2016:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-28/raiding-the-lost-and-injured-giants

The players they have let go are already shining. Dom Tyson at Melbourne, Hombsch at Port (thought he played excellently against us) and Bruce at the Saints (again, played well against us, Schofield was very complimentary of him: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...a-prime-example-of-the-talent-on-the-gws-list), just to name a few.

Am I right in saying that Tunbridge was one of GWS' 17year old picks (like Cameron), before he got homesick and we rookied him?

The Giants had 10 first-round draft picks who didn't play in the senior team last week through injury or selection. In comparison, Essendon has 13 first-round picks on its whole list and Richmond has 14, illustrating the depth of talent at GWS.

Pickett and Ahern would struggle to get into that team by the end of next year injuries permitting, both might be targets at the end of next year.

Looking at that list of players they really nailed the draft over the last few years compared to what GC have done. No wonder they can survive even though clubs have been raiding their talent. Having Abblet at the Suns would have been good initially but he takes up so much of their cap each year.

Suns will be back, people under state there injury list they had 10 wins last season (we had 11). Ablett, Swallow, Omeara, Martin, Day, Lynch, McKenzie, Thompson and now Prestia.. Put all those players into there team now and see how they go.
Yeah it's absolutely diabolical. I can't remember a worse injury list at this stage of a season. Hence the theme of my award-winning Pre Game Thread.

Looking at that list of players they really nailed the draft over the last few years compared to what GC have done. No wonder they can survive even though clubs have been raiding their talent. Having Abblet at the Suns would have been good initially but he takes up so much of their cap each year.

That's a stupidly good list of players or at least potential players.

Be happy if we poached any of them - except Palmer...

The whole draft is weak. Vid Country have the best team but in terms of AFL applicable talent that remains to be seen.
Powell and Seton look like top ten locks for next year before these champs.
You could play a WA U18 team with as many, if not more under age kids than eligible ones and it would be stronger for mine.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The assessment of the draft as being weak is an interesting one.

TCal Twomey someone who gets access to the list managers and predicts the order. I am yet to be convinced that Twomey is the real deal in terms of identification of talent. He wrote about the 2015 draft:
upload_2015-5-28_11-0-5.png

There are those saying it is weak if you are chasing a franchise KPP player but below that there is strength in midfielders small forwards.

Out of all the BF Draft guru's, I posed Knightmare the question and he responded as follows:
upload_2015-5-28_10-51-53.png

So all recruitment departments will need to be on their game. How is our team? Was 2014 a sign of things to come (and did Simpson get to influence it properly) or was it a great year and all clubs feel good about who they drafted?

Having a look at 2009, we had 3 picks inside the top 25 and drafted poorly. This was also the year of the Fyfe that slipped to number 20! History has shown in difficult drafting years we struggle! Let's hope it is the past and no longer relevant. Based on 2009, I get nervous.

upload_2015-5-28_10-50-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-28_9-53-45.png
    upload_2015-5-28_9-53-45.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 3
Sheppard isn't that bad now we know how most have gone. Not worth quite as high as pick 7 though. Weedon was just bizarre. Wonder if we picked him because of a family member or friend. Stevens is just average but at least still playing.

Sheppard isn't that bad now we know how most have gone. Not worth quite as high as pick 7 though. Weedon was just bizarre. Wonder if we picked him because of a family member or friend. Stevens is just average but at least still playing.

Stevens at the time was rated as a top 10 pick. Was pretty stoked we picked him up at the time.

I hope our club is putting in the legwork to prepare for an assault on the Giants' list, like many other clubs appear to be doing. There is so much talent coming out of contract by end 2016:

The players they have let go are already shining. Dom Tyson at Melbourne, Hombsch at Port (thought he played excellently against us) and Bruce at the Saints (again, played well against us, Schofield was very complimentary of him: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-...a-prime-example-of-the-talent-on-the-gws-list), just to name a few.

Am I right in saying that Tunbridge was one of GWS' 17year old picks (like Cameron), before he got homesick and we rookied him?
I have been hugely impressed by Jack Steele. Would prefer him over Coniglio by a mile. Very unlikely however. He's going to be a star

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there six players better than him? I'd say pick 7 was about right, without looking at those behind him (hindsight).

It was a choice between Shep, Jetta and Lucas and in the next handful of picks no one apart from Jetta and Talia has really gone on to do much. Talia wouldn't have been in our thinking as we didn't need talls, so for me it's just a question of whether we should have taken Jetta over Shep. He's probably shown a bit more to this point than Shep but it's borderline and not a glaring error.

Fyfe going at 20 is unfortunate but he was never in the frame for the top 10, he's wildly exceeded all expectations from when he was drafted.

From memory we were linked to (not in order) Fyfe, Bastinac, Duncan, Colyer and weedon for those picks in the 20s. The first two had just gone, we had our heart set on Weed and took a slider in Stevens with the other pick.

Weak or thin? I saw 2014 Draft as being really deep. Hence the likes of Nelson at 51, Cavka at 60 and Waterman at 76 represented brilliant value (at least from 6 months into their careers).

The top 10 this year are still seen as strong but then it falls away in the second round. But there again let's see as the Suns were seen as having a better draft year that the Giants!

Weak seems appropriate. Top end talent won't necessarily shape up as well as the previous two drafts, expect a few reaches on the basis of athleticism and potential like most years a lot of those U16 performers tank in a big way. Clubs will be going after quality role players ahead of undersized and nonathletic inside midfielders and as such i expect some absolute bargain footballers to slip down the order but do so at random.

Generally the top end talent in drafts has become more consistent as the years have gone on. I rate the strength of a draft on how good it's second round is.

s**t draft? Use one of our three picks to upgrade Lucas/Maginness.

Curtley Hampton looks gettable from that list and wouldn't cost the earth.

Good size, great pace and could add outside running power that we've lacked.

He doesn't get a lot of the ball.....or hasn't over the first three years at the giants but is that totally his fault or lack of structure / organisation.

24yrs old, NT zone selection so no go home issues there. Certainly adds more than a McGinnity on the senior list.

RE .. Selwood is FA... do you see WC matching any offer? On Motlop .. hard to say at this stage if he is serious or it manager talk... but having three clubs named as interested make one wonder.

Sorry missed the info on Motlop, what's happening there? And your rough price?

Sorry missed the info on Motlop, what's happening there? And your rough price?

Maybe it was on reported here...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ng-term-contract/story-fni5f6yf-1227371799043

GEELONG revelation Mark Blicavs is about to sign a new long-term contract that will hand him a significant pay rise for his audacious rise to fame.
The Cats are putting the finishing touches to a contract extension with 24-year-old Blicavs, who is on a modest deal in his first official year on the senior list.
But Geelong will have to work hard to ward off the advances of rivals circling uncontracted goalsneak Steven Motlop.
Clubs including Richmond, Greater Western Sydney and West Coast continue to inquire about the 24-year-old’s availability.
He is in his seventh year at the club and has put off talks until the back half of the season, as he did with his last contract negotiations.
He has given no indication he wants to leave the club, but nor is he in any hurry to discuss a deal with Geelong yet.
A club like Richmond would move heaven and earth for a goalscoring midfielder like Motlop given their struggles to unearth a quality small forward.
Geelong is content to wait until he wants to sit down and discuss a deal that would secure his long-term future.
Motlop’s suspension in Round 2 after a few Good Friday beers at a Colac footy game is not a factor, with the bubbly midfielder haven accepted his punishment without fuss.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ng-term-contract/story-fni5f6yf-1227371799043

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back