List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It would be an interesting dilemma if we had to choose between say keeping pick 5 and possibly getting Parish, or trading it for Kelly, say if GWS were happy to let him go because they wanted the pick and he perhaps wanted out for more opportunities.

Having seen them both in the juniors and Kelly in the AFL, I'm struggling to split them. Both have terrific running games and excellent disposal, with Parish more linebreaking speed and Kelly possibly slightly ahead on kicking precision, but not by much, with both of them lightly built and as such likely to be more suited to an outside running role at AFL level.

For mine Parish looks like he'd be slightly more versatile though (for mine better suited to pockets and flanks than Kelly is) and maybe a touch better on the inside, but Kelly has had the two years in the system already and that would be an attraction, as he'd hopefully be ready to go from the outset. He'd be like our version of Gaff going forward, whereas Parish could be our "next Montagna".

I don't want to keep banging on about Kelly, who I think will probably play 300 games and to a consistently high level, but I don't see the Brownlow thing that I'm hearing a few suggest he is capable of.

When was the last time someone really skinny, who plays a mainly outside and uncontested game won a Brownlow?

I just looked back over the list of those that have won one and I went all the way back to 1985 (I'm not very familiar with all those that won one prior to that) and the only one that might be pretty similar is Shane Woewodin, but then again I don't really remember what sort of role he played, as he was pretty ordinary throughout his career and wasn't memorable to me. None of the rest since 1985 would I consider to be really similar in style to Kelly, from what I've seen and heard of him, especially if he stays pretty skinny and mainly outside.

If he developed a seriously good inside game then you could say he'd be somewhat similar to Banger and Crawford, who both had epic endurance and he would then probably be a huge chance to win one, but that seems a pretty big "if" at this stage, I would have thought.

For the record

How much do we want Kelly this year because we would get absolutely screwed.

Kelly is contracted....

This draft falls away after pick 4, we'll likely have 5, which won't appeal to GWS as much....

Hopper would likely be bid on before pick 5 therefore that pick gets used on him....

GWS will get more than enough draft points losing Treloar....

Don't get me wrong I'd love Kelly but I think he's an unrealistic target unless Kelly does a Boyd and burns bridges and we part with our 1st and 2nd as a starting point.

It would be an interesting dilemma if we had to choose between say keeping pick 5 and possibly getting Parish, or trading it for Kelly, say if GWS were happy to let him go because they wanted the pick and he perhaps wanted out for more opportunities.

Having seen them both in the juniors and Kelly in the AFL, I'm struggling to split them. Both have terrific running games and excellent disposal, with Parish more linebreaking speed and Kelly possibly slightly ahead on kicking precision, but not by much, with both of them lightly built and as such likely to be more suited to an outside running role at AFL level.

For mine Parish looks like he'd be slightly more versatile though (for mine better suited to pockets and flanks than Kelly is) and maybe a touch better on the inside, but Kelly has had the two years in the system already and that would be an attraction, as he'd hopefully be ready to go from the outset. He'd be like our version of Gaff going forward, whereas Parish could be our "next Montagna".

Would love either but lean towards Parish. He doesn't have the exposed form but I'm confident he becomes an elite player. You've basically said the reasons why I'd prefer Parish. More inside, quicker, line breaker etc. it's kind of like comparing an attacking Marc Murphy vs a skilful and bigger accumulator version of Farran Ray. The draft cost to get Kelly plus financial cost is also worth considering.

The prob is Parish will go 3/4 depending on who holds those two picks IMO. We are out of that picture so it's also worth considering Kelly vs Mathieson/Tucker. In that case I'd take Kelly everyday of the week.

How much do we want Kelly this year because we would get absolutely screwed.

Kelly is contracted....

This draft falls away after pick 4, we'll likely have 5, which won't appeal to GWS as much....

Hopper would likely be bid on before pick 5 therefore that pick gets used on him....

GWS will get more than enough draft points losing Treloar....

Don't get me wrong I'd love Kelly but I think he's an unrealistic target unless Kelly does a Boyd and burns bridges and we part with our 1st and 2nd as a starting point.

I think pick 6 will get it done. If they wait till next year they'll be looking at a pick in the high teens if he nominates a club ( ooc, not it their best 22).

Gws could lose treloar, kelly ect but could end up with 4-5 first round picks....again!

I think pick 6 will get it done. If they wait till next year they'll be looking at a pick in the high teens if he nominates a club ( ooc, not it their best 22).

Gws could lose treloar, kelly ect but could end up with 4-5 first round picks....again!
It's just stupid the amount of draft concessions this club has been handed to them. It is legitimately an AFL created super franchise.

It's just stupid the amount of draft concessions this club has been handed to them. It is legitimately an AFL created super franchise.

Agree! They'll play finals for 10-15 years in a row and should snag at least 4-5 flags.

The afl think the quality of a player has gone down. It hasn't. All the quality is being played in the 2s for gws. And when they finally trade out a treloar/kelly type they'll pick up more quality kids and play them in the 2s also.

Agree! They'll play finals for 10-15 years in a row and should snag at least 4-5 flags.

The afl think the quality of a player has gone down. It hasn't. All the quality is being played in the 2s for gws. And when they finally trade out a treloar/kelly type they'll pick up more quality kids and play them in the 2s also.
The annoying thing is, they have more talent than they know what to do with, like you say there is still so much quality stockpiled in the 2s... although it can work out well for clubs like us, finding a player like Josh Bruce at a ridiculously cheap price.

Still, no other club has ever had that many elite kids playing reserves.

Gws's core and most elite talent are born in 93 which means they will be in their prime between 2018-21. They also have some quality born between 94-6 and will get more over the next 2 years through trades. Nothing like that 93 born group though.

High picks doesn't guarantee flags, as we know they are extremely difficult to win. If they win 1 between 2018-21 they are doing well. Might see a three peat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS obviously rate the kid as they were desperate to get hold of pick 2 in that draft. I don't believe we get Kelly through a Tyson type deal nor will pick 6.

GWS would potentially be tossing up whether they lose Kelly for less next year as well as comparing him against who's available at pick 6. Also remember pick 6 will likely be used on an academy player, it would be more appealing if they banked that pick on someone else as well as getting the academy guys. Future draft pick trading may open up other avenues.

'Jelly' has me saying WANT. Would be a Dom Tyson turnaround if he signed an extension then walked. Maybe he sees the writing on the wall with what, 5 more academy mids in the next five years. I'll still be surprised if he did leave though. I know the answer is doubtful, but would anything come back to us if we gave up 5? I still very much like Parish, but he won't be there at 5/6.

What an intriguing top 10 that's turning out to be.

Boyd - left after one year, underwhelming but needs time
Kelly - 'might' walk, shows great signs but can't cement a spot
Billings - injuries haven't gone away, but what we have seen is that he is a match winning gun
KK - classy as, flying under radar up north.
Bont - gone from strength to strength
'Berg - injuries galore, yet to see how good he is but finally played his first.
Aish - 'will' walk, second year blues but first season was superb.
LMac - Second year blues
Salem - shocking first year, shown some signs second year, again injuries.
Freeman - injury bust thus far.

The rest of the first round has more hits that misses, it's probably the most interesting draft group that has ever gone through the system imo.

GWS obviously rate the kid as they were desperate to get hold of pick 2 in that draft. I don't believe we get Kelly through a Tyson type deal nor will pick 6.

GWS would potentially be tossing up whether they lose Kelly for less next year as well as comparing him against who's available at pick 6. Also remember pick 6 will likely be used on an academy player, it would be more appealing if they banked that pick on someone else as well as getting the academy guys. Future draft pick trading may open up other avenues.

Could possibly on trade the pick for a player? Or even trade to ess, pick 6 + a player for pick 4. Imagine if they had pick 4! Could end up with parish + academy players.

Imagine GWS losing Boyd, McCarthy and Kelly within two years of drafting them? It 'should' be considered just as devastating to the club as what happened to Lions, in reality though they'll just be replaced by three of the 438 first rounders they have biding their time in the NEAFL.

Imagine GWS losing Boyd, McCarthy and Kelly within two years of drafting them? It 'should' be considered just as devastating to the club as what happened to Lions, in reality though they'll just be replaced by three of the 438 first rounders they have biding their time in the NEAFL.

They've lost some talent and if they continue to, then it will hurt in the long run. I expect McCarthy to be traded in the next 1-3 years as well as possibly Kelly and obviously Treloar. I don't think they've cashed in on the trades. As a collective their picks between 2012-14 aren't great IMO. The academy kids will help though. Take out the pre listed players and they are no further ahead than the Dogs, Pies, Dees and us in their development.

That's something Barrels would do
Gillo - nut-punching stupidity
KB - Bontempelli
InamedtheGiants - anything plastic
SK_MD - me

Obsession is an ugly thing.

Last edited:
Lol... Call me a pessimist, but there is less than 0% chance Kelly plays for us in 2016. We will go to the draft and select Mathieson if Parish isn't available.

More than happy to be proven wrong otherwise :)

There is about a 15% chance at the moment. A few of us have heard the talk about this deal. Whether it happens or not we won't find out for another 10 weeks or so. But we are trying as a club to really get ourselves some good players.

Also Kelly is better then aish and Parish. I wanted Kelly over billings infact at that draft. Kid needs games and not a few quarters after being the sub. So fingers crossed

There is about a 15% chance at the moment. A few of us have heard the talk about this deal. Whether it happens we or not won't find out for another 10 weeks or so. But we are trying as a club to really get ourselves some good players.

Also Kelly is better then aish and Parish. I wanted Kelly over billings infact at that draft. Kid needs games and not a few quarters after being the sub. So fingers crossed
Kelly and Aish were the two most comparable players in their respective draft IMO and not a whole lot separating them in terms of talent and production come draft day, Aish slid a little because he missed then combine and being from a strong SA heritage on the contrary to Kelly rising maybe a couple of spots due to Billings and Bergs injuries, and Bonts uncertainties about his consistency. Both had nice first seasons before underwhelming this season for whatever reasons they might be. They are very similar players, and highly comparable in many aspects.

The difference you ask?
GWS won't take our offer where as Brisbane would jump at pick 5-6, and probably throw something useful back our way.

In saying that, If GWS did take our first for Kelly for some bizarre reason beyond explanation, and we got Aish with our second+ steak knives off Brisbane, then I would happily run away with them both. 3 of the best 4 players in that draft.. Dreaming hard though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back