List Mgmt. 2015 Trade & Free Agency Hellscape Discussion Thread (PG546: Anderson PG732: Bastinac)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, but a club isnt going to come out and say we offered 6 @ this price, admitting to offering a contracted player a contract.

But hey you are right, stuff all integrity left in this game so who knows.

They're not going to come out and say it publicly but they would be happy to give details 'off the record'.

It's the nature of the beast at the moment.

Slightly off topic but I've got to say the AFL need to be very careful with Free Agency. I think it could have a negative effect on kids.
Maybe everyone is different but I was a mad NBA follower as a kid. I never really had a fixed team, like a lot of other kids my age I loved MJ and the Bulls. I also followed Golden State pretty loosely and was pretty excited to see the dream lineup of Hardaway, Webber, Sprewell and Mulllen. Then all the trading started and I couldn't keep up. I gutted seeing the whole lot pretty much getting traded (or in Sprewells case suspended for 68 games for strangling the coach lol).

My point is as a kid, like a lot of kids I fell in love with players before I fell in love with a club. You associate opposition players with the side they play for and so on.

I completely lost interest in the game because of all the player movement. It felt fake to me.

I don't mind free agency as it is now in the AFL but I would hate to see it anything like what they have in the USA.

Anyways rant over

Personally I hate FA, yeah you could say we've done well out of it for now. I thought the reason behind FA was to give those shitmen on your list a chance of changing clubs and getting an extra few bucks.

All's that happened is the superstars are getting crazy cash to move, clubs aren't losing draft picks so they trade out cash. I think it would be better if you offered player'x' a shitload and he agrees the AFL then say that will cost you your two first draft picks. You ok with that Sydney? Next thing Franklin's still at Hawthorn.

It wouldn't change how the comp operates or stop players moving, but would make it a lot more manageable. And the thought of clubs getting no compensation is just ridiculous. Some clubs are a lot wealthier than others and some clubs with the backing of the AFL can't lose FA's at their current stage of existence.

We're a couple of years away from some sides never being able to actually win the thing. And when the supporters wake up that's when we'll see sides fall over. IMO.

Problem was we had an over abundance of Greenbuck$ type. Yes he could do the tagger role but mostly inside mid stuff, with Dumont having similar skill set coming through paying 400k to have Levi sit in the 2's wreaks of urqs type deal.

How much would Liam Sumner cost us from GWS pick 10 he was and since 2012 only 12 games has speed can kick on both feet isnt this someone we want at only 21 he can be anything cant get in due to the talent at GWS, any thoughts?

How much would Liam Sumner cost us from GWS pick 10 he was and since 2012 only 12 games has speed can kick on both feet isnt this someone we want at only 21 he can be anything cant get in due to the talent at GWS, any thoughts?
Rate Liam Sumner, wanted him in his draft year.
Wouldn't cost a lot. Our second round pick could get it done imo if he wants to come back home

Yep..I'm all for the club being on the look out for talented former top 20 picks that fill a need for us. Ones that may want to come home or have been starved of opportunity.

Rate Liam Sumner, wanted him in his draft year.
Wouldn't cost a lot. Our second round pick could get it done imo if he wants to come back home
Do you think north would be intrested, even if he was to come back to victoria? Or are they more intrested in 24-27 year olds?

Problem was we had an over abundance of Greenbuck$ type. Yes he could do the tagger role but mostly inside mid stuff, with Dumont having similar skill set coming through paying 400k to have Levi sit in the 2's wreaks of urqs type deal.

Or an Aaron Black kinda deal :stern look

Good to see we have enough coin to go after Hannerbury, yet the club was happy to low ball and lose our runner up best and fairest.

I'd like to think the club would only offer a player what they think he is work regardless of what other clubs are willing to give them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to think the club would only offer a player what they think he is work regardless of what other clubs are willing to give them.

The landscape has changed, paying players what they're worth won't attract you opposition players these days.

Just about every free agent has been offered contracts longer than they should've been and the money is crazy.

The landscape has changed, paying players what they're worth won't attract you opposition players these days.

Just about every free agent has been offered contracts longer than they should've been and the money is crazy.

Yeah I get that they need to pay overs to get a player to the club but I don't think they should be throwing extra cash at players to keep them. Then you have every player manager trying to bend them over when their contract comes around.

Yeah I get that they need to pay overs to get a player to the club but I don't think they should be throwing extra cash at players to keep them. Then you have every player manager trying to bend them over when their contract comes around.

It's all a negotiation, we've been paying overs on a heap of players the last few years Bastinac, Black, Adams, McMahon, Urquhart etc.
It's an area we need to get better at.

It's all a negotiation, we've been paying overs on a heap of players the last few years Bastinac, Black, Adams, McMahon, Urquhart etc.
It's an area we need to get better at.

Yeah true. We paid Basti, Black and Urquhart on potential. Man that Urquhart deal was a bad decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back