Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultras are AFL plants for sure.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Waiting for the Sydney media to run with this line.

As always they found a way to make the AFL look like the bad guy in this story somehow though, using Dangerfield instead of kyrigos, Sam Kerr or Papenhausen as the guy sticking the boots into Australian soccer to get all the soccer nuffies hatred for the afl up even further lol.

20221218_132917.jpg 20221218_132853.jpg

Cant you read.

I repeat,

it wouldnt matter if there were eyeballs on the product. I think that is the 5th time I said that line. And I posted that skit because that ad was played so often during the 2010 World Cup that we all know the words 12 years on. By your reckoning, ads dont exisit in soccer because it is boring and no goals and we dont stop play to play more ads. Not sure your last point is a good thing by the way.

Its great that the AFL has the richest TV deal in Australia. The EPL has the 3rd richest in the world. They have that not because they play more ads than the A-league or AFL, but because they have (a lot) more eyeballs on the product.

Media rights for ALL sport is an art in itself in the commercial world. In the end its the advertisers that pay the money.

I just think it is sad that the AFL try and make a slow release of a "fixture" as some sort of event.

It's the power. anticipation and allure of Australian Rules Football.
It is the good business sense of the AFL to create events like The Brownlow + the Red Carpet, The draft, the Game, the Pre-game and Post game etc.

Can't think of another sport that releases its fixtures like this.

Then that's a huge tick to the AFL and the Australian game.
Did you watch the FIFA world cup?

Yes, my internet was down.
No ad breaks between play.

Couldn't find sponsors huh.

That is how it is 99% of the time.

Yep, guys soccering the ball back to keeper

soccer keeps it simple and doesn't change the game with the amount of time between goals just to please TV networks.

that's a euphemism for boring.

(and then sooks about how long the match goes for)

Extra time is where the actions is as team wake up to the fact that they finally better do something.

from what i hear on twitter, several already have life bans from the stadium. Hopefully, they get assault charges in top of everything

I am not normally someone who likes to punish everyone for the actions of a few but I statement needs to be made. If you host idiots, you are as much to blame for what happens next. and that goes to Victory, the club, as well. No excuse and no mercy.

Yeah, i'll be watching closely the official reaction. The game is at a bit of a crossroads, because i'm not sure which way they want to go. A week ago flares were celebrated and (at least unofficially) encouraged. Now they're the catalyst for probably the worst crowd incident in decades in this country. Combined with the tolerance of the ultras groups that consistently protect offenders in their ranks - I wonder how often anyone gets arrested at a game for ripping a flare? Cops probably want to but can't get to them because they're surrounded by green street wannabes.

All adds up to a penalty of empty stands for a few matches and forcing these groups to self police.

I will keep saying that you ignoring my post when you keep ignoring my post. All of what you said is Mirco stuff and wouldn't matter if PEOPLE WATCHED.
But people don’t watch the A League in sufficient numbers for the magic of the eyeballs to become a factor here in Australia and that doesn’t look like changing anytime soon.

So for the foreseeable future, an Australian prospective advertiser looks at it and goes, “no ad breaks. No-one watching it anyway. Let’s try somewhere else.”

Yeah, i'll be watching closely the official reaction. The game is at a bit of a crossroads, because i'm not sure which way they want to go. A week ago flares were celebrated and (at least unofficially) encouraged. Now they're the catalyst for probably the worst crowd incident in decades in this country. Combined with the tolerance of the ultras groups that consistently protect offenders in their ranks - I wonder how often anyone gets arrested at a game for ripping a flare? Cops probably want to but can't get to them because they're surrounded by green street wannabes.

All adds up to a penalty of empty stands for a few matches and forcing these groups to self police.
For years, vocal soccer fans and commentators/journos have consistently defended these groups and downplayed their behaviours (e.g. lighting and throwing numerous flares) whilst lambasting security and the owners and management of the teams who have tried to prevent these actions and attacking any media that shows such conduct. It's only encouraged these young men to feel more aggrieved and justified in their actions.

Have a look at the Original Style Melbourne Instagram page. It's full of the glorification of flares and the obscuring of member's faces. The APL and the Victory need to permanently ban them from ever attending matches.

Last edited:
For years, vocal soccer fans and commentators/journos have consistently defended these groups and downplayed their behaviours (e.g. lighting and throwing numerous flares) whilst lambasting security and the owners and management of the teams who have tried to prevent these actions and attacking any media that shows such conduct. It's only encouraged these young men to feel more aggrieved and justified in their actions.

Have a look at the Original Style Melbourne Instagram page. It's full of the glorification of flares and the obscuring of member's faces. The APL and the Victory need to permanently ban them from every attending matches.

Same reason people join a bike gang I guess - sense of belonging and makes them feel tougher than they actually are. I'd imagine most are social misfits in part at least.

It's the power. anticipation and allure of Australian Rules Football.
It is the good business sense of the AFL to create events like The Brownlow + the Red Carpet, The draft, the Game, the Pre-game and Post game etc.

Then that's a huge tick to the AFL and the Australian game.

Yes, my internet was down.

Couldn't find sponsors huh.

Yep, guys soccering the ball back to keeper

that's a euphemism for boring.

Extra time is where the actions is as team wake up to the fact that they finally better do something.
what

There is a lesson for the AFL here. The flash and disruption of the soulless BBL has come and gone within a few years. Crowds are 20% of what they were and ratings about 1/3. It is a total collapse. Test cricket, which has not changed in 100 years, is absolutely killing it.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Yes, another poor crowd of only 7074 at Marvel last night makes you wonder if the BBL is beyond redemption?
It is not that long back that these matches would get at least 20,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the history of the A-League, the Victory management has succeeded in ridding itself of two troublesome ultra groups (BWB and the North Terrace).
But each time, another one rises up in its place.
This is the great dilemma for soccer administrators.
They want the noise and "colour", a bit of mayhem, but they don't want too much mayhem.
Difficult balancing act, some would say, impossible.
As Prince Imperial said, this sort of fan behaviour is often glorified.
In the early years of the A-League, the marketing was all about young males jumping up and down on the terraces and chanting - but by season 4, all standing room at the various grounds used had been banned (so then they just started jumping up and down on their seats with the intention of breaking them).
But it's all harmless fun - that's what the soccer people call passion.

It's the power. anticipation and allure of Australian Rules Football - the most popular football per head of population, the world leader
It is the good business sense of the AFL to create events like The Brownlow + the Red Carpet, The draft, the Game, the Pre-game and Post game etc.-
the AFL is good at creating these events and surely even you can realise the benefits of this to the great Australian football game.

Then that's a huge tick to the AFL and the Australian game - the AFL outperforms the NFL on a per head of population basis.
It's a great business for Australia. it creates wealth for Australia and is a great attraction to Australia.

We should all be proud of the Australian game, the indigenous Australian game, Australia's most popular professional game
and we should all get behind the game.

In the history of the A-League, the Victory management has succeeded in ridding itself of two troublesome ultra groups (BWB and the North Terrace).
But each time, another one rises up in its place.
This is the great dilemma for soccer administrators.
They want the noise and "colour", a bit of mayhem, but they don't want too much mayhem.
Difficult balancing act, some would say, impossible.
As Prince Imperial said, this sort of fan behaviour is often glorified.
In the early years of the A-League, the marketing was all about young males jumping up and down on the terraces and chanting - but by season 4, all standing room at the various grounds used had been banned (so then they just started jumping up and down on their seats with the intention of breaking them).
But it's all harmless fun - that's what the soccer people call passion.
The guys behind the pitch invasion had planned to the detail to carry out the action. The police were outside waiting for them instead of around the pitch. I suspect something bigger than soccer here - Those incidents are very common in Poland, Hungary etc etc and they are political.
Unfortunately my fellow Australians are very knieve as far as International politics go.

Have a look at the Original Style Melbourne Instagram page. It's full of the glorification of flares and the obscuring of member's faces. The APL and the Victory need to permanently ban them from ever attending matches.

Yeah, exactly. A big part of Australian soccer’s problem is the need to position itself as the victim at every opportunity, leaving it less likely to deal with its own issues.

Take this article last week in the Guardian, much of it made up of the author whingeing about how soccer doesn’t get the Government money that its entitled to. He references the Australian Sports Commission funding allocations “The 2021-22 Australian Sports Commission annual report showed how far funding for football lags behind other sports, with athletics, basketball, cycling, hockey, sailing and swimming all receiving greater financial support.”

The chart below shows the funding he’s complaining about: I’ve highlighted in red team sports played professionally in Australia.

1671422913993.png

You’d think that anyone looking at that could only conclude that soccer (alongside basketball) is doing pretty f**king well, at least when it comes to ASC funding, particular since Australian Football, Cricket and Rugby League get basically nothing. But, since objective reality is no match for Australian soccer’s grievance mindset, those numbers are taken to demonstrate how horribly mistreated soccer is. The soccer journalist looks at this and goes, “See? We never get nothin’”.

Of course this sense of victimhood just deprives soccer of the opportunity to clean up its act. The article’s main complaint is that kids are charged a lot to play to soccer in Australia. The fact that local soccer clubs use junior fees to finance payments for mediocre senior players apparently is not relevant (it doesn't crack a mention). Nor is the fact that soccer has failed to do what Australian Football (and I assume Cricket at RL) have done to prevent this sort of thing: impose salary caps. A journalist covering these issues might actually result in healthier spending habits at the lower levels of Australian soccer. But forget that. It’s the Government’s fault, coz, “AFL gets everything”.

The same grievance-peddling makes it hard for them to deal with active support issues. Following Saturday night, it’s pretty clear they’re going to need to more tightly regulate those active areas (probably including fully ticketed matches, smaller active areas etc). You can be sure that when they do, the likes of Simon Hill will once again start complaining at the mistreatment of Aleague fans. “They're treated like criminals”, “We need to stop pandering to the mainstream media – they don’t understand ‘football culture’”, “It’s the AFL’s fault”, “Enough with the stereotyping.” Telling those active supporters to grow up and accept that a significant police/security presence is necessary might actually help. Regardless, the problems will be located elsewhere.

Yeah, exactly. A big part of Australian soccer’s problem is the need to position itself as the victim at every opportunity, leaving it less likely to deal with its own issues.

Take this article last week in the Guardian, much of it made up of the author whingeing about how soccer doesn’t get the Government money that its entitled to. He references the Australian Sports Commission funding allocations “The 2021-22 Australian Sports Commission annual report showed how far funding for football lags behind other sports, with athletics, basketball, cycling, hockey, sailing and swimming all receiving greater financial support.”

The chart below shows the funding he’s complaining about: I’ve highlighted in red team sports played professionally in Australia.

View attachment 1575538

You’d think that anyone looking at that could only conclude that soccer (alongside basketball) is doing pretty f**king well, at least when it comes to ASC funding, particular since Australian Football, Cricket and Rugby League get basically nothing. But, since objective reality is no match for Australian soccer’s grievance mindset, those numbers are taken to demonstrate how horribly mistreated soccer is. The soccer journalist looks at this and goes, “See? We never get nothin’”.

Of course this sense of victimhood just deprives soccer of the opportunity to clean up its act. The article’s main complaint is that kids are charged a lot to play to soccer in Australia. The fact that local soccer clubs use junior fees to finance payments for mediocre senior players apparently is not relevant (it doesn't crack a mention). Nor is the fact that soccer has failed to do what Australian Football (and I assume Cricket at RL) have done to prevent this sort of thing: impose salary caps. A journalist covering these issues might actually result in healthier spending habits at the lower levels of Australian soccer. But forget that. It’s the Government’s fault, coz, “AFL gets everything”.

The same grievance-peddling makes it hard for them to deal with active support issues. Following Saturday night, it’s pretty clear they’re going to need to more tightly regulate those active areas (probably including fully ticketed matches, smaller active areas etc). You can be sure that when they do, the likes of Simon Hill will once again start complaining at the mistreatment of Aleague fans. “They're treated like criminals”, “We need to stop pandering to the mainstream media – they don’t understand ‘football culture’”, “It’s the AFL’s fault”, “Enough with the stereotyping.” Telling those active supporters to grow up and accept that a significant police/security presence is necessary might actually help. Regardless, the problems will be located elsewhere.

Interesting they are funding imported sports significantly, whilst leaving Australia's own sport with barely anything.

The guys behind the pitch invasion had planned to the detail to carry out the action. The police were outside waiting for them instead of around the pitch. I suspect something bigger than soccer here - Those incidents are very common in Poland, Hungary etc etc and they are political.
Unfortunately my fellow Australians are very knieve as far as International politics go.

not uncommon in the NSL days .

I mean, the biggest match in Aussie soccer for the last 7 years and the HS/AFL just happen to release the 1st round of the AFL season right when the match was being played. A lot of people, not just soccer fans, were puzzled by that.
SOURCE

The fact that the APL is at war and fighting a PR campaign to save their skins means anything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt. They cant keep their story straight atm. new tradition was the first one they tried.

And what does the amount of goals scored mean anything regarding ad breaks in soccer!!!!!!! The fact there can be no goals scored is not the reason for any ad breaks in soccer. It is a different style of play. As Ange said, we stop at half time and we stop at the end of the match. But during the game, we dont stop. So no set breaks for ads. Has nothing to do with goals. This wouldnt matter if the a-league could get decent ratings in the first place.

If you going to have a go for soccer for not having any goals, at least try to make it reasonable, or make sense.
Dude, if the AFL releasing a fixture had the slightest impact at all on the biggest match in 7 years, just put the sport to bed already.

I mean, I follow AFL, but I found out that the AFL released a schedule by soccer fans complaining about them releasing a schedule.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1575538

Really good points. Thank you.

Dude, if the AFL releasing a fixture had the slightest impact at all on the biggest match in 7 years, just put the sport to bed already.

I mean, I follow AFL, but I found out that the AFL released a schedule by soccer fans complaining about them releasing a schedule.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
fairly certain I gave a source there and showcased it was a general feeling among the sports media.

It even quoted Caroline Wilson, ala an AFL journalist.

I actually didn't really care or just ignored/didnt know about it. Hence, the source.

It's the power. anticipation and allure of Australian Rules Football - the most popular football per head of population, the world leader
It is the good business sense of the AFL to create events like The Brownlow + the Red Carpet, The draft, the Game, the Pre-game and Post game etc.-
the AFL is good at creating these events and surely even you can realise the benefits of this to the great Australian football game.

Then that's a huge tick to the AFL and the Australian game - the AFL outperforms the NFL on a per head of population basis.
It's a great business for Australia. it creates wealth for Australia and is a great attraction to Australia.

We should all be proud of the Australian game, the indigenous Australian game, Australia's most popular professional game
and we should all get behind the game.
what.

Okay. In my post, did I say anything negative about AFL (outside criticism of the governing of the game and selling out to media and its 24/7 news cycle. You know, something AFL fans often complain about)

Did I go on and on about "grievance-peddling" "victimhood" or loads of other crap which is said about soccer on this forum time and time again?

So no idea where the "AFL RUZ!!!!, SOCCER SUX" posts are directed to me. Personally, I think it is sad that people hate other sports. Indifference, sure, but actual hate. And I say that to anyone who posts bullcrap directed at any sport. Code wars are stupid

Interesting they are funding imported sports significantly, whilst leaving Australia's own sport with barely anything.
The modern sports world is all about giving athletes international exposure and for Australian athletes apart from the Olympics there is the Commonwealth games and the Asian games

No, you attempted to make a negative out of something that is clearly a positive- the creation of "big events'.

Can you substantiate that claim. Seems like another bizarre claim.

Now you are.

Really ? You have no idea ? Seems to be your mantra.

Me too. i love Australian Rules Football. I like a few other sports and I'm completely indifferent to a number of other sports.

Like you do /

Stop trying to pick a forum fight with me. not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back