Play Nice 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You did the trolling by bringing in AF to the debate on a NON AFL FORUM did you not? because you fear soccer
Sorry the truth hurts you and i say again, stop showing your fear of Soccer and you wont feel so insecure

This a non-AFL thread in a forum about the business of Australian rules football, a subforum of the main AFL forum of the message board as a whole, a message board which is the main feature of the largest Aussie Rules community on the internet. In that context you can't expect AF to not be discussed in relation to other sports.

This a non-AFL thread in a forum about the business of Australian rules football, a subforum of the main AFL forum of the message board as a whole, a message board which is the main feature of the largest Aussie Rules community on the internet. In that context you can't expect AF to not be discussed in relation to other sports.

Maybe the other sports don't have their own forum, I dunno. Or barely any traffic on them.

I am not a mod on this forum.

but guys, settle down. Remember the rules of this thread.
Hi guys,

Its 2022! Welcome to another year. Time for a refresh and start again.
  • Please note that this is not the place to persue personal code wars, and posts should be constructive and civil.
  • If coming here from other forums, please note that this is primarily an Australian Football forum, and going on about fear and other garbage will result in a threadban or site ban.
  • Resist the urge to troll. It will not end well.
  • The Report button exists for a reason. All mainboard mods and admins are able to assist on this forum.
The 2021 thread is here.
No fear talk, no trolling. I am going to report a random post and some mods will come and clean this thread up if they feel the need to.

As someone who posts here.

The general rule is that if it is on the topic(etc, sections of the sports industry which is not AFL orientation), then it is fine. It is not hard to ignore news you are not interested in. But I will let The_Wookie deal with everything.

Last edited:
Cam Greens contract with the IPL is an example of international sport:

'Pinching myself. Was shaking like anything': Cameron Green's first reaction after huge IPL pay-day with Mumbai Indians​

Cricket
Updated on Dec 23, 2022 07:57 PM IST

Cameron Green, who was tipped by several cricketing greats, including teammate David Warner to have a huge pay day at the IPL auction, revealed that was a nervous wreck when he saw the teams going all guns blazing to acquire his services.​

Green was snapped up by Mumbai Indians, the most successful IPL franchise for a whopping ₹17.5 crore, making him the second costliest purchase in the history of auctions. Green triggered an intense bidding war between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Delhi Capitals in a three-way face-off but in the end, it was MI who came up with the winning bid.

read an article about the future of cricket TV. Sorry, can't find the link.

But in it, they said they would reduce the number of games in the BBL. Be interesting if that is the fix.

For me, it is hard to get invested in a team, or franchise, when the squad changes nearly every match. I don't mean the starting XI, I mean international replacements, test duties, ODI. Having a star player for 1/4 of the season is no good. It needs to be for the whole season.

I still think they need to change the 2 Sydney teams and Melbourne teams. The Thunder really should be called western Sydney. Not sure that would work in Melbourne.

In another note, will be interesting how the NBL goes on Xmas day. I think it is a good move by them. The crowd might be "steady" (their words) but I am always bored on X-Mas night.

Back to being on topic....

jeez it didn't take long for the new SFS effect to wear off. I just saw some highlights of the A League today and there looked to be family and friends only.

Attendance still listed as TBA.
The NBL got an attendance of 6,000, I'm guessing the A-League game (involving two Sydney teams no less), will get less than that.

What do people think about the NBL crowd of 7,012 in Sydney last night?

It’s down on the usual crowd for the Kings, which this season was around 8.5k - 9k and a game against Melb United would usually be one of their bigger ones.

But as virtually the first professional sporting event ever held on Christmas Day in Australia it’s hard to know whether it’s above or below what they were aiming for.

Back to being on topic....

jeez it didn't take long for the new SFS effect to wear off. I just saw some highlights of the A League today and there looked to be family and friends only.
Attendance still listed as TBA.
The NBL got an attendance of 6,000, I'm guessing the A-League game (involving two Sydney teams no less), will get less than that.
Sydney FC vs MacArthur? Austadiums gives it now as 9,714

But in it, they said they would reduce the number of games in the BBL. Be interesting if that is the fix.

For me, it is hard to get invested in a team, or franchise, when the squad changes nearly every match. I don't mean the starting XI, I mean international replacements, test duties, ODI. Having a star player for 1/4 of the season is no good. It needs to be for the whole season.

I still think they need to change the 2 Sydney teams and Melbourne teams. The Thunder really should be called western Sydney. Not sure that would work in Melbourne.

In another note, will be interesting how the NBL goes on Xmas day. I think it is a good move by them. The crowd might be "steady" (their words) but I am always bored on X-Mas night.

So the real measure is TV ratings on Xmas night ? I didnt watch fwiw.

Spot on with the BBL :thumbsu:

On the future of cricket TV:

'Paramount has refused an approach from Channel 7 to join forces for cricket’s TV rights in a clear message to Cricket Australia that its record $1.5 billion offer was ‘all or nothing.’
The knock-back narrows down the options available to CA as its soft Christmas Day deadline passed with still no deal done.'

'....... CA appears to be desperately holding out for more money.'

'Leading sports media right analyst Colin Smith, head of Global Media and Sports, believes Paramount may have saved Cricket Australia from embarrassment, even if the US streaming giant is once again consigned to being left at the altar as sports rights bridesmaids.

“I think Paramount’s offer has given Cricket Australia a get out of jail card,’’ Smith said.

“I saw where the chairman of Cricket Australia (Lachlan Henderson) said the cricket rights were undervalued, but I don’t believe that is correct.

“I actually felt that the rights may have significantly decreased in price this time.

“If it wasn’t for Paramount having to make such a large offer because Channel 10 is so keen for sports content, they may have fallen.”

Whatever happens, Cricket Australia appears destined to achieve an increase on the $1.182 billion broadcasting deal it signed back in 2018, which industry experts believe would be a mighty effort given the deflation of the Big Bash and the whims of a patchy Test schedule.'

“I actually felt that the rights may have significantly decreased in price this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think about the NBL crowd of 7,012 in Sydney last night?

It’s down on the usual crowd for the Kings, which this season was around 8.5k - 9k and a game against Melb United would usually be one of their bigger ones.

But as virtually the first professional sporting event ever held on Christmas Day in Australia it’s hard to know whether it’s above or below what they were aiming for.

I suspect it's just about testing the market more than a specific aim of getting X people along. It did rate OK for the NBL on pay, with 35k on ESPN, but it was also on Channel 10, which was beaten by SBS so I suspect it rated poorly there.

'Seven has reportedly issued a deadline to Cricket Australia of 5pm Tuesday night to accept their rights bid.

According to the Herald Sun, if they fail to do so, Seven has told CA they will reconsider whether they want to stay part of the bidding process.

Cricket Australia chief executive Nick Hockley indicated yesterday morning that the new broadcast rights deal is not set to be signed off on now until the New Year given directors from Seven, Nine and Paramount, including James Warburton and Mike Sneesby, are either overseas or have been away.

Seven won’t necessarily withdraw from the bidding if the 5pm Tuesday deadline passes, but sources say the network will want answers on what the process entails from here before deciding whether or not to stay in the race – frustrated at a process they feel has been meandering.'

I suspect it's just about testing the market more than a specific aim of getting X people along. It did rate OK for the NBL on pay, with 35k on ESPN, but it was also on Channel 10, which was beaten by SBS so I suspect it rated poorly there.

'Having sport on December 25 has become one of the most talked about issues in Australian sport after the NBL broke new ground by having the Kings host Melbourne United on Sunday night.

A crowd of 7012 attended the game while a further 300,000 people tuned in on television prompting NBL officials to consider holding a double-header in 2023.'

Our family follows the Perth Scorchers and were very happy with the last over win last night against the Strikers. However the BBL is struggling to attract Internationals now and reasons given are -Many more similar comps with more money around -Players are more choosy where they go and so on.
There is always now the long shadow of the very wealthy Indian Cricket set up over all Cricket worldwide except the Aus v Eng test match series which stands alone. It appears the Aussie players are talking about the upcoming Test Series in England already.

After 3 home games, the Perth Scorchers are averaging 25,000 crowds. This is only down 16% from their peak 2018/19 crowd average of 30,000 (which was the first year of Perth Stadium opening). Each of their crowds are currently the three largest in the league this season.

This seasons BBL crowds: BBL Results & Crowds | Austadiums

The drop in the Scorchers average crowd seems to be a lot smaller than the more than 50% decrease seen in all the other teams.

Perth’s peak however is also a couple of years after the rest of the league from the 2015-17 period when the Scorchers were stuck in the smaller WACA Ground. So perhaps their peak would have been higher if they were in at Perth Stadium sooner.

Historical BBL season average crowds:
Is the good crowds in Perth a result of winnings last years grand final and their current winning form. Or is there more to it, when you consider the poor crowds at the Australian Test vs West Indies in Perth.

Last edited:
I thought the crowds have been a fair bit better the past week or two. I feel the bbl got back a bit of momentum.

After 3 home games, the Perth Scorchers are averaging 25,000 crowds. This is only down 16% from their peak 2018/19 crowd average of 30,000 (which was the first year of Perth Stadium opening). Each of their crowds are currently the three largest in the league this season.

This seasons BBL crowds: BBL Results & Crowds | Austadiums

The drop in the Scorchers average crowd seems to be a lot smaller than the more than 50% decrease seen in all the other teams.

Perth’s peak however is also a couple of years after the rest of the league from the 2015-17 period when the Scorchers were stuck in the smaller WACA Ground. So perhaps their peak would have been higher if they were in at Perth Stadium sooner.

Historical BBL season average crowds:
Is the good crowds in Perth a result of winnings last years grand final and their current winning form. Or is there more to it, when you consider the poor crowds at the Australian Test vs West Indies in Perth.

There's probably a few things - winning helps. Good timeslots and weather help - I remember a lot of 3pm or 4pm starts in the past which in summer can be just unbearable in Perth. 6:30 games are generally played in sensational conditions in summer and we seem to be getting a few more of those. They've also brought in good cheap tickets this year - the whole top deck is $27 ($60 family tickets) and you can sit where you like, so it's a pretty cheap evening's entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back