Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I remember watching him train two years ago, along with Duursma. They didn't participate in any intras at that point though.

I'd love to see him standing in the centre next to Nash and Reeves, even if it was only for a laugh.
Actually if he did a few midfield rotations with Nash, Newcombe and Meek there would enough big bodies to block for him and allow him to use his speed on the outside.
Our main midfielders in Worpel, Nash and Newc are big boys but the slighter built day is still able to use his evasive skills to step his way through traffic at centre bounces in particular.
Whilst I am sure Watson will be mainly used as a forward, Mitchell loves versatility in his playing group.

Actually if he did a few midfield rotations with Nash, Newcombe and Meek there would enough big bodies to block for him and allow him to use his speed on the outside.
Our main midfielders in Worpel, Nash and Newc are big boys but the slighter built day is still able to use his evasive skills to step his way through traffic at centre bounces in particular.
Whilst I am sure Watson will be mainly used as a forward, Mitchell loves versatility in his playing group.
Correct. Has the speed to explode from congestion.

on Duursma - does look very neat and clean but doesn’t seem to have a left side based the footages. But I may be wrong …

I really like Duursma but also noticed that. Uses the outside of the right very well but still a slight concern.
It's not a concern in the sense that he should be marked down the draft order for it.
It's something he needs to work on, like most draftees.
TBH most players can't kick at all well enough off their non-preferred foot.

Franklin went his entire career never having improved his right-foot kick much.

Caddy was never ranked above the wiz
Caddy No 2, watson 5 (not anymore). Another interesting player, archer reid was supposed to be good fit for us.
others have said a key back is highest priority with DGB not coming as expected, even though used high pick on him.
wonder whether McCabe is the answer, he is moving up the rankings the last few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide loose to WCE, North get first pick take Reid, WCE take Curtin, Hawks take the Wiz, then trade F1 with GCS pick 4 we take Dursma. Macabe at pick 20ish and Tew as a rookie. Pick up Ryan happy days.
Better yet, with Reid out of the picture, the price for West Coast moving down one pick will be much less (Brockman) and a deal could be brokered that gets GC pick 2 (therefore getting a player before a Walter bid), West Coast drops to pick 3 for Curtin and we get one of Watson or Duursma at 4, while also trading our F1 to GC for King.

GC get their two first rounders for King including one before Walter bid this year

Hawks get King and one of Watson/Duursma but give up F1 and Brockman

Eagles get Curtin and Brockman for moving down a pick and getting the guy they want anyway

Hawthorn’s forward line would be sorted

Better yet, with Reid out of the picture, the price for West Coast moving down one pick will be much less (Brockman) and a deal could be brokered that gets GC pick 2 (therefore getting a player before a Walter bid), West Coast drops to pick 3 for Curtin and we get one of Watson or Duursma at 4, while also trading our F1 to GC for King.

GC get their two first rounders for King including one before Walter bid this year

Hawks get King and one of Watson/Duursma but give up F1 and Brockman

Eagles get Curtin and Brockman for moving down a pick and getting the guy they want anyway

Hawthorn’s forward line would be sorted
This is the best case scenario. Make it happen please.

So now we can argue back and forth, who do we pick the Wiz or the Zane?
Im on team Zane!
billy zane GIF

Back