Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

There’s no way they let north take him for nothing even the AFL aren’t that poor and I think they are quite poor. It will simply be Northern rules allow him to be listed and bid matched. Then they give them pick 11 which gets it done. So they get him for free. Oh the tangled web we weave…
Just Semantics between giving him to them for nothing and giving them pick 11 to use to get him for nothing.. either way if that’s the result it’s a ridiculous leg up.. let them use their Port pick to acquire him if anything…

Just Semantics between giving him to them for nothing and giving them pick 11 to use to get him for nothing.. either way if that’s the result it’s a ridiculous leg up.. let them use their Port pick to acquire him if anything…
It’s the AFL it’s all about appearances. They determine what outcome they want and then how to achieve it without people storming AFL house.

Thought I read the other day that Sanders wasn’t even guaranteed to nominate for the draft under the NGA. Not sure if that was based on any info or just someones musings.
I cant think of one good reason why he would allow himself to be taken under nga rules and go to north…ok i can think of one good reason 😉
200.gif

West Coast now have 3 years to convince Reid to stay, or have more bargaining power if he wants to leave after 1 year
(If they draft him)

Heh. I wonder what concessions the current players get for selling out the players who don't exist yet. "You pay me X% more today and I promise that your future employees will be 50% more restrained than I was, giving you more time to make back the money you're paying me now."

A real profile in courage, that. The AFLPA is a cracking organisation. I wonder who the president of the player's association is. Must be a real stand-up fellow to be looking out for the youngsters like that.

Heh. I wonder what concessions the current players get for selling out the players who don't exist yet. "You pay me X% more today and I promise that your future employees will be 50% more restrained than I was, giving you more time to make back the money you're paying me now."

A real profile in courage, that. The AFLPA is a cracking organisation. I wonder who the president of the player's association is. Must be a real stand-up fellow to be looking out for the youngsters like that.
There's also the fact it's only for the top 20 draftees. So all these elite talent guys this year like Reid, Walter, Duursma, McKercher, Watson, etc. could be forced to be on a base draftee salary in 2026 while guys picked after pick 20 who continue to play year 3 onwards will have to have been re-signed and will certainly be on more money than those aforementioned.

Of course, there's nothing stopping clubs from re-signing their draftees earlier to pay them more in line with what their performance deserves, but that's only possible if the player is wanting to stay with that club.

Another relatively low possession game from Watson, but he produced several moments of magic and had a big impact on the contest. His field kicking was a class above, and he showed his athleticism by flying spectacularly for his marks. As the game wore on, he seemed to become more interested in scrapping with his Tassie opponents than playing football.

Another relatively low possession game from Watson, but he produced several moments of magic and had a big impact on the contest. His field kicking was a class above, and he showed his athleticism by flying spectacularly for his marks. As the game wore on, he seemed to become more interested in scrapping with his Tassie opponents than playing football.

Had a flashback to Poppy with that attempted speccy towards the end!

Small forwards who are good in the air are such a weapon in the AFL, its what separates the really good small forwards like Cameron and Elliot from the rest.

Colby was back in action for the first time in over a month after a broken bone in his foot threatened to prematurely end his season. It was clear that he wasn't at 100% capacity, getting caught out at times and not able to get to as many contests as he typically would. Its a measure of the elite standards he's set this season that this would have been a very good performance for just about any other midfielder in the Talent League.

How does this work on rem? Surely it must be at Club election / option at significant step up in pay for that Third year. I don't think it changes anything....the player "opting out" is never going to go in the PSD to be picked by the bottom team anyway, so it just means you are trading a contracted player vs uncontacted. Similar to JHF, if player is contracted but adamant they want out...you rarely play the "contract card" anyway

Colby was back in action for the first time in over a month after a broken bone in his foot threatened to prematurely end his season. It was clear that he wasn't at 100% capacity, getting caught out at times and not able to get to as many contests as he typically would. Its a measure of the elite standards he's set this season that this would have been a very good performance for just about any other midfielder in the Talent League.

He's the one I want. Will be an absolute gun.

He seemed to be running fine to me. I think they're just on to his stiff arm fend off, and got caught out a few times, which is a concern for me.

Still surprised Callinan is not mentioned in the top 10-20, another good game, and his disposal efficiency is like 100%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the one I want. Will be an absolute gun.
It would be an enormous call if he is on the table at our pick and we don't take him. He's electric. A machine.

The Wizards footage was excellent too and for mine dispelled any doubt that he couldn't play midfield. Some of his highlights show great mid qualities.

Throw in Walter and that is my top four.
If we had pick one and it was a clean draft, I would be comfortable taking Walter over Reid - imagine him in the forward line alongside Lewis?

Reid will be a gun but Walter is potentially that big forward who wins you finals and premierships. it's like comparing Delidio to Roughead (excluding Franklin which is a no brainer) in every retrospective draft 2004 you take Roughie over Deledio

Last edited:
I worry north will take Durz and Wiz.
They're going to have some pretty ridiculous young talent. Let's hope they screw up their development and half of them look for opportunities elsewhere in a couple of years.

No sympathy for them - They're a stain on this competition.

Reid
McKercher
Duursma/Watson

That’s my preference order at this point. But as I’ve said before, I’m confident whoever we get will reach their potential in our program.

Back