Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Wizard had a strong performance in the grand final but was unable to lift his Ranges team to victory on the day. He looked his most potent when moved into the center square, generating several dangerous clearances with his trademark evasiveness and burst of speed on show. Unfortunately his conversion in front of goal remained an issue.

The Wizard had a strong performance in the grand final but was unable to lift his Ranges team to victory on the day. He looked his most potent when moved into the center square, generating several dangerous clearances with his trademark evasiveness and burst of speed on show. Unfortunately his conversion in front of goal remained an issue.

Great, another kid who can't convert in front of goal :(

Feels like the Wiz is firming as the Next Richard Tambling when it comes to BF Draft Day Disappointments ;)

If nothing else he will give our forward line a much needed shot of speed and creative intent. Our forward line has been so bland since Cyril and Poppy.
We may as well be the team that benifits from the hundreds of head high frees he's going to accumulate over his carrer.

Just come across this player and was about to post here.

Like the look of this guy, 196kg, 90kg, wingspan of 7ft and vertical leap of 85cm.

You'd think he wouldn't get past the 20s?
Yeh that's an insane profile for a KPD. Looks quick and agile also
No strength yet

Ryley has followed in the footsteps of his former Dragons teammate Will Ashcroft by winning just about everything on offer this season. Larke Medalist, National Championship winner and now topping it off with victory in the Talent League Grand Final. He was one of his team's best on the day, showing the well balanced and powerful midfield game that we've come to expect.

Ryley has followed in the footsteps of his former Dragons teammate Will Ashcroft by winning just about everything on offer this season. Larke Medalist, National Championship winner and now topping it off with victory in the Talent League Grand Final. He was one of his team's best on the day, showing the well balanced and powerful midfield game that we've come to expect.

Nothing special tbh.

The problem with Leake is that he did play as a defender for most of the season so his exposure as a forward or mid is limited which makes it tougher to judge. I might be wrong, but I feel like his biggest question mark is his hands. They're not exactly soft, everything seems to bounce off him a bit. Forward he plays like an athletic medium forward. He can lead to space, he can use his athleticism to jump into marking contests, he can crumb decently. But there's more risk there than other prospects because we've only seen it in a handful of games this season.

I’m sorry if this link is no good, but the kid can definitely take a mark.

Gee, though I'm ok with Duursma, I am however a little hesitant. His size and lanky look reminds of Morton and Hoskin Elliott and that's not a good thing. Colby, wizard and Caddy in front for me. Caddy has good size for his age, at already 90+ kgs.

Gee, though I'm ok with Duursma, I am however a little hesitant. His size and lanky look reminds of Morton and Hoskin Elliott and that's not a good thing. Colby, wizard and Caddy in front for me. Caddy has good size for his age, at already 90+ kgs.
...Or James Hird/James Sicily.
Every player comparison should come with beast & spud pathways.

I really like Caddy, only marginally behind my preference for Duursma.
Caddy has been overlooked somewhat, despite the hurdles he has overcome this season to put on some great performances.

My preference for forwards is Duursma, Caddy, then Watson.
Walter obviously never an option.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Day was a twig when he drafted him.

Duursma is a huge talent. He plays much harder than WHE and Morton too.

...Or James Hird/James Sicily.
Every player comparison should come with beast & spud pathways.

I really like Caddy, only marginally behind my preference for Duursma.
Caddy has been overlooked somewhat, despite the hurdles he has overcome this season to put on some great performances.

My preference for forwards is Duursma, Caddy, then Watson.
Walter obviously never an option.
Good point re- Hird/Sicily. Feel better about him already. It's just that both the Morton boys were highly touted back in the day and turned out busts.

I can't see Sammy going past Watson. His ability to hit the pack at speed and control the ball is up there with the best I've ever seen. Exactly the spark our front half needs, IMO.
Still think we need 2 top 10 talent in this draft. Wizard and Duursma
Wizard and Colby
Or Colby and Caddy.
Can't wait for the draft night already.

Given our pick and strategy to hit this draft hard, 2 forwards from this years top 7-8 should be the goal. Some rare forward talent in this draft.

Although if Colby slides (which I doubt) we take him without hesitation. Star. He'd be our 2nd best mid very quickly and has zip and dash we lack.

Last edited:
So far...

Lynch
Jeka
Morris
OHara
Kosi
Brockman

6...all out.

Suspect that 2 or 3 of the following won't be there in 2024 either.

Greene
Bramble
Serong
Long

That is potentially 8 changes.

McCabe
D'Ambrosio

Look to be definates coming in.

Down to 6 spots.

Question marks on Dear and Jiath. Suspect we will trade players in so these two may not be selected or if we take either we delist from the 2nd list above to accommodate.

Any other NGAs?

It points to a minimal intake at the draft this year of 2-3 players plus McCabe. The draft is always highest risk and reward...it's an interesting year for building our list. To me I would feel more comfortable with a larger intake from the draft again.

Feels like a bit of a salt and pepper approach this year. Our list screams of needing another 2 talls will be interested to see if we can add them. If not I think it means our list is behind where it needs to be going into 2024 and we will have to pay overs to get them in the following year's so trading future firsts is a big risk if it doesn't involve talls.

Sorry if this has been asked before....

Is there a sense on what next years draft pool is like ?
So far...

Lynch
Jeka
Morris
OHara
Kosi
Brockman

6...all out.

Suspect that 2 or 3 of the following won't be there in 2024 either.

Greene
Bramble
Serong
Long

That is potentially 8 changes.

McCabe
D'Ambrosio

Look to be definates coming in.

Down to 6 spots.

Question marks on Dear and Jiath. Suspect we will trade players in so these two may not be selected or if we take either we delist from the 2nd list above to accommodate.

Any other NGAs?

It points to a minimal intake at the draft this year of 2-3 players plus McCabe. The draft is always highest risk and reward...it's an interesting year for building our list. To me I would feel more comfortable with a larger intake from the draft again.

Feels like a bit of a salt and pepper approach this year. Our list screams of needing another 2 talls will be interested to see if we can add them. If not I think it means our list is behind where it needs to be going into 2024 and we will have to pay overs to get them in the following year's so trading future firsts is a big risk if it doesn't involve talls.

This is an important question......

Is it possible, that WCE/NTH picks at 1,2 & 3 deprive us of that access ? I don't know the pool well enough.

Dumb question probably but can we trade for GC picks 4&5 or one of by saying we will give pick 3 or F1 and we won’t bid on walters. That way they get another premium player as well as Walters.
We can, but West Coast or North could just bid on him

Dumb question probably but can we trade for GC picks 4&5 or one of by saying we will give pick 3 or F1 and we won’t bid on walters. That way they get another premium player as well as Walters.
Pretty sure they only have 1 pick and want to get rid of it for maximum points so us giving up Pick 3 to them in exchange for pick 4, we'd want something pretty good coming our way too as they will pick up McKercher/Duursma/whoever is left and we will miss out on one of those options. And they'll get Walters too.
I can't see any way we get their pick, not with the corruption package North were just handed.

Back